• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
So a new game hasn't been announced yet so, if recent trends continue we can expect a remake announced in may or no new game this year.

Platinum - Announced May 2008, received September 2008.
Heart Gold & Soul Silver - Announced May 2009, received September 2009.
Black & White - Announced April 2010, received September 2010.
Black2 & White2 - Announced February 2012, received June 2012.
X & Y - Announced January 2013, received October 2013.
Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire - Announced May 2014, received November 2014.

If the average pattern holds true, we still got April and May to hear news about a new game/remake/sequel/whatever.

They never allowed items transferred across generations for a good reason (or else we'd have all the gems from Gen5 in our current Gen6 games), and unless they decide to break the pattern now, it's likely the Strange Souvenir will serve its purpose in Gen6

Items were transferred from Gen 3 to 4, and there was that key item (Lock capsule? something like that) that was intended to be transferred from gen 4 to 5, but I don't think it was ever released.

The Strange Souvenir probably just exists for foreshadowing. I doubt that it will actually be used to obtain a legendary, and besides, it could easily be made directly available in the next generation.

BlackButterfree said:
If the average pattern holds true, we still got April and May to hear news about a new game/remake/sequel/whatever.
With Hoopa Unbound being tied to ORAS, it wouldn't make sense for a new main series game to be announced so close to its reveal. They could have unveiled it by now, but they didn't. To top it all off, Detective Pikachu hasn't been properly announced yet and we know that it will be released this year.

Platinum Lucario said:
Anything is possible, as long as it has compatibility in their code.
Just because it's possible doesn't make it a good idea. If they introduce a new region, it should have more than a handful new Pokémon, and I don't see why it should be part of this generation when there is enough time and potential for another 3DS-based generation.

Last edited:
Platinum - Announced May 2008, received September 2008.
Heart Gold & Soul Silver - Announced May 2009, received September 2009.
Black & White - Announced April 2010, received September 2010.
Black2 & White2 - Announced February 2012, received June 2012.
X & Y - Announced January 2013, received October 2013.
Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire - Announced May 2014, received November 2014.

Forgot that Black and White were the only non remakes to be announced after Q1 post-platinum. Okay let me rephrase that: The later gets in the year the more likely it is to be another remake announced on that same may date. Given that it's March I say Z is pretty unlikely. Unless they are going to announce it on the Anniversary of platinum's announcement. Shit that sounds like something GF would do. Even when doing something that haven't done since 2008, they are likely to be announcing in the same way they announced a game last year.

Well with the announcement of the NX we now have a better idea of when new hardware is coming, so that makes it easier to figure out what's happening. So I'm guessing it'll be something like this:

2015- Nothing
2016- NX announced at E3, Some kind of Gen 6.5/7 game for N3DS that relates to XY
2017- NX releases, Second Gen 6.5/7 game for N3DS (possibly a remake)
2018- Gen 7/8 on NX

I'm guessing NX is going to be something along the lines of a merged console, so the 2018 game will probably be the first main game on a console in addition to functioning as a traditional handheld game.

Last edited:
Well with the announcement of the NX we now have a better idea of when new hardware is coming, so that makes it easier to figure out what's happening. So I'm guessing it'll be something like this:

2015- Nothing
2016- NX announced at E3, Some kind of Gen 6.5/7 game for N3DS that relates to XY
2017- NX releases, Second Gen 6.5/7 game for N3DS (possibly a remake)
2018- Gen 7/8 on NX

I'm guessing NX is going to be something along the lines of a merged console, so the 2018 game will probably be the first main game on a console in addition to functioning as a traditional handheld game.

It seems to be a bit of a reach to generate such a timeline from the announcement "we are working on the Nintendo NX, we will reveal more information in 2016"

It doesn't have to relate to XY, and the "6.5" labeling doesn't make sense to me.

They're almost certainly doing some kind of full game relating to XY, there's more to be done with Zygarde and Kalos as a whole, and DLC isn't big or significant enough to satisfy that. That plus the hint towards a new region and Masuda's comments about wanting to develop for N3DS implies that there's also going to be a new region on N3DS. So either those two games are one and the same or the 2016 game is a new generation and the 2017 game is XY2. The former would be more of a 6.5, it'd be a new generation with new Pokemon, but it would be connected to Kalos so it wouldn't quite be "new".

It seems to be a bit of a reach to generate such a timeline from the announcement "we are working on the Nintendo NX, we will reveal more information in 2016"

Not really. That says a lot considering they don't show off consoles without releasing them more than a year later. So NX is definitely coming in either 2016 or 2017 (2017 seems more likely IMO).

Since this "NX" is supposed to be some sort of console-handheld combo (or so I've heard), I wonder what that would mean for Gen 7. That's if they decide to not release Gen 7 on the 3DS, that is.

Since this "NX" is supposed to be some sort of console-handheld combo (or so I've heard), I wonder what that would mean for Gen 7. That's if they decide to not release Gen 7 on the 3DS, that is.

That would be taking a big gamble, to release a Pokemon game barely into the life of a system. It could prompt people to buy the new system for the game, or they could miss out on a lot of sales.

That would be taking a big gamble, to release a Pokemon game barely into the life of a system. It could prompt people to buy the new system for the game, or they could miss out on a lot of sales.

Not really, Pokemon is a system seller, people will come in droves to buy the console just to get the new Pokemon game. Having a Pokemon game earlier would be a good thing because it would allow Nintendo to build their userbase quicker.

A lot of people held off buying the 3DS because none of their core games were on it. Nintendo should learn from that. If they're not opening with a Zelda or Mario Kart, then open with a main series Pokemon game.

Not really, Pokemon is a system seller, people will come in droves to buy the console just to get the new Pokemon game. Having a Pokemon game earlier would be a good thing because it would allow Nintendo to build their userbase quicker.

I see your point, but the target demographic for the Pokemon games are children. Children that don't have jobs, and don't have their own money. This would rely on parents 'coming in droves', which wouldn' t happen unless it was released in the holiday season.

I see your point, but the target demographic for the Pokemon games are children. Children that don't have jobs, and don't have their own money. This would rely on parents 'coming in droves', which wouldn' t happen unless it was released in the holiday season.

Pokemon games usually come out in time for Christmas anyway, Christmas is the busiest time of the year for video games.

A lot of people held off buying the 3DS because none of their core games were on it. Nintendo should learn from that. If they're not opening with a Zelda or Mario Kart, then open with a main series Pokemon game.

And honestly, considering they're going for more of a unified environment, Pokemon is a good title to lead with. What better way to demonstrate the value of a unified console than with a main series Pokemon game that for the first time ever can be played on a console? The industry would go into a full on meltdown over an announcement like that.

I miss playing Red/Blue version on Pokemon stadium. It would be awesome to play Pokemon on a console again.

@Lt Surge;
The "target demographic" and the "demographic that actually buys the product" are two very different things (e.g., for a bad example, see MLP). There's the parents who are the ones that the younger kids rely on, then there's the teenagers and young adults who (usually) have their own income. Dogasu analyzed the current situation of Pokemon compared to Yokai watch and brought attention this article, specifically this part:

The Pokémon franchise is so old it started out in black and white, with a pair of video games released in 1996 for the original Game Boy. That means even though it was initially aimed squarely at kids, the fanbase now includes long-time followers in their 20s and 30s.

Adult fans of Pokémon and other ostensible “for kids” series have adult money, with Mom and Dad no longer in a position to impose limits on how much time or cash they can pump into their hobby. This sometimes leads to grownups snatching up all the latest toy models, or hogging arcade machines that, from their small-scale cabinets, are clearly meant for younger gamers. Some have even taken to calling these senior fans otomo, an abbreviated form of okii na tomodachi, meaning “grownup friends” or “big buddies.”

For the sake of this discussion, let's assume that the parent's money are the kids money. No one is going to be able to argue that the target audience isn't kids, but that doesn't mean that a good bulk of the actual audience are kids.

@Lt Surge;
The "target demographic" and the "demographic that actually buys the product" are two very different things (e.g., for a bad example, see MLP). There's the parents who are the ones that the younger kids rely on, then there's the teenagers and young adults who (usually) have their own income. Dogasu analyzed the current situation of Pokemon compared to Yokai watch and brought attention this article, specifically this part:

The Pokémon franchise is so old it started out in black and white, with a pair of video games released in 1996 for the original Game Boy. That means even though it was initially aimed squarely at kids, the fanbase now includes long-time followers in their 20s and 30s.

Adult fans of Pokémon and other ostensible “for kids” series have adult money, with Mom and Dad no longer in a position to impose limits on how much time or cash they can pump into their hobby. This sometimes leads to grownups snatching up all the latest toy models, or hogging arcade machines that, from their small-scale cabinets, are clearly meant for younger gamers. Some have even taken to calling these senior fans otomo, an abbreviated form of okii na tomodachi, meaning “grownup friends” or “big buddies.”

For the sake of this discussion, let's assume that the parent's money are the kids money. No one is going to be able to argue that the target audience isn't kids, but that doesn't mean that a good bulk of the actual audience are kids.

That is a very good point, and a good read. Thank you for bringing that up.

Future of Gen 6? Maybe a mystery dungeon game would be great... but the main series should go straight to Gen 7.

Only if they return to what made PMD amazing, AKA Explorers Of Time/Darkness/Sky. GtI probably killed the spin-off, it was so poorly received. Meanwhile PMD: EoT/D/S are generally considered the best installment, and my personal all-time favorite Pokémon games, with Platinum not far behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom