• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Good or Bad Idea: What if Cynthia was in the next Smash Bros. game?

Red was voiced by Michelle Knotz in SSB, who also played Jessie, May, the female Snivy, Manaphy, and a slew of other Pokemon in the anime. Even if they use the same voice cast in the next game, it would probably be easy to find SOMEONE who could play characters of either gender if they sounded right.

Probably Veronica Taylor could do the job.

Perhaps it doesn't have an impact now, but to deny that it never had an impact on the series when Pikachu and Jigglypuff are only in their position because the anime helped propel them to their level of popularity during the fad days is ridiculous.

Of course, one shouldn't extrapolate the anime's impact during the fad days to its impact today. In the case of Cynthia, her popularity in terms of "appearance" holds true in the games independent of her anime appearances. She was in BW, and obviously planned for BW2 (and appeared in Johto) long before she appeared again in the anime (which was a direct result of the games).

Yes, I get that now. You don't have to repeat yourself.

It's similarities are so superficial that the only "similarities" is starting with Pikachu, the inclusion of the TRio in plot points they've never had in the anime, and the chance to get the other three starters. If anything, the anime's faithfulness to the Team Galactic plot makes DP more similar to the anime than Yellow ever was in terms of plot, so its ridiculous to discount yellow, especially when the Yellow version team was incorporated into canon.

Eevee being the rival's starter wasn't even taken from the anime, and was adapted from Yellow into the anime at a later point. Yellow version was released in 1998 in Japan, while Gary's Eevee debuted in 1999 during the end of the Orange Island arc. Yellow couldn't even incorporate anything from the seventh gym onward since it was released before then.

Whatever, fine. I still wouldn't include characters like Jessie and James. Meowth, though, was originally going to be added, but was replaced by Jigglypuff. I would've preferred Meowth...

I think if you are going to be in SSB, you need a decently high fanbase or a way to boost your unknown popular franchise. Red/Pkmn Trainer has one mainly because everyone has played the original Pokemon games mind you. I don't see the reason why they should have more Pokemon, Mario or Zelda characters...there are many other Nintendo franchise that could use characters to boost their popularity.

So bad idea.

Yes, I get that now. You don't have to repeat yourself.
If you had gotten it sooner, the statement need not have been repeated.

Whatever, fine. I still wouldn't include characters like Jessie and James
. Meowth, though, was originally going to be added, but was replaced by Jigglypuff. I would've preferred Meowth...

._.

This thread was about Cynthia. I'm not quite sure if you get that since you keep bringing up these irrelevant points. All other instances the anime was brought up was to reference how a character has had a massive impact on both the games and the anime (e.g., Zoroark, Lucario). You're the only one bringing up anime-canon characters here.

I think Red's likely to come back. Having appeared in all five generations now, I think it's safe to bet he's not going anywhere.

I will tell you that if Cynthia was in the next SSB, I wouldn't use her if I could help it. :p Definitely not my favorite character. Actually, I'd rather see Ghetsis join the likes of Bowser and Ganondorf.

Oh my god, having Ghetsis in the new SSB? Man, he'd be the only character I'd play as. That'd be HILARIOUS.

But anyway, I don't think Cynthia would be the best character to have in one of these games. She's too elegant and such, and I don't feel like she'd have enough fans that'd actually both like her, and SSB. I mean...does that make sense?

I don't see the reason why they should have more Pokemon, Mario or Zelda characters...there are many other Nintendo franchise that could use characters to boost their popularity.

So bad idea.

Because they're Nintendo's biggest franchises, so it's natural for them to have more reps than anyone else. The bigger challenge is trying to add more reps to those franchises, Cynthia not included obviously, and introducing new IP characters while maintain the 10 digit pattern Sakurai has it going (SSB64 has 12, Melee has 25, and Brawl has 35, so SSB4 will have 47-49 characters).

You know, the Shadow Triad could probably be the only game characters who could appear in SSB and actually fight without Pokemon.

I find Cynthia to be overrated, but I dont play SSB much, so I dont care either way.

^^ The same can be said with Misty and Iris due to their anime counterparts being capable of being fighting material like Captain Falcon, however they need to be paired up with one of the Pokemon associated with them to balance it out.

I don't think Cynthia has much of a chance honestly. Especially over one of the player characters. Nintendo would want to advertise Pokemon like Oshawott, Servine, and Emboar a lot more than Garchomp and Lucario right now.

If they have made Ruby and Sapphire remakes by that time, then I could see them using those player characters as well over Cynthia.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom