• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Greninja or Mega: place your bets!

which event shall happen?

• Total voters
I'm voting for Greninja only.

Ash has never really showed an interest in trying to Mega Evolve his own Pokémon, and he really has nobody to give him a Key Stone. The lack of Gen VI Megas also hurts his chances, as it may be unlikely for him to use his Oaked Pokémon for this league.

Meanwhile, there is no reason why Ash shouldn't have Greninja. We already know his Froakie is evolving, and it will do so fairly early into the series, at XY052 with three badges. By comparison, Ash's Treecko didn't evolve into a Grovyle until after Ash got his fourth badge (in AG066), and that Pokémon ended up reaching its final evolutionary form.

Greninja is in Super Smash Bros. You are a fool if you think Ash's Frogadier isn't evolving into Greninja :p

As for a mega... If it is Mega Charizard/Sceptile, I'd rather Ash not have one. I welcome the idea of he having Mega Heracross or somefin, tho

Ash has never really showed an interest in trying to Mega Evolve his own Pokémon, and he really has nobody to give him a Key Stone. The lack of Gen VI Megas also hurts his chances, as it may be unlikely for him to use his Oaked Pokémon for this league.

Oh, I don't know. XY still has at least 70 something episodes left. That's enough time for him to go say "I need a Mega-Evolution" at some point, and get a Mega-stone.

Oh, I don't know. XY still has at least 70 something episodes left. That's enough time for him to go say "I need a Mega-Evolution" at some point, and get a Mega-stone.

More like 90+ episodes hahaha, the first US XY season are 48 episodes and if this generation is going to last 3 years (like BW) maybe the Kalos saga will end around 144-145 episodes, I remember someone in the US dub said BW was going to last 3 seasons, some people didn't believe him and turned out he was right...

and I agree! there's still time for Ash to get a mega evolution, my bet is at the Pokémon League or sometime before.

Both and justice for all.

It's all about popularity and Greninja (dat tongue scarf!) is about as popular as it gets for Gen VI mons. And of course he's the only Gen VI mon in Smash Bros.

Same with Charizard. Not only is he popular in game, has TWO mega forms, he's also alone in Smash this time, rather than paired up with Squirtle (RIP) and Ivysaur in the game. So with that in mind, they will probably want to showcase Charizard due to his continuing popularity and new appearance in Smash.

So both.

After reading a few responses to my original comment, I think it was too soon for me to immediately say Ash won't get a Mega at some point.

But I still do believe it is more likely than not that he won't have a Mega in the near future.

Yes, he is the main character in the anime, and XY is promoting the hell out of the Megas in the anime. But we already have somebody to promote the new Megas in XY - Alain. Unlike Ash, Alain is actually interested in Mega Evolution, and his goal is related to encountering and fighting those Megas. Ash, meanwhile, is happy to encounter and catch Pokémon that he believes are strong, regardless of whether or not they will evolve, or even Mega Evolve.

Ash only fought strong opponents (who just so happened to have Megas) because defeating them tied to his main goal - to win the Kalos League and become a Pokémon Master. Diantha is the Kalos League Champion, and Korrina is one of the Kalos Gym Leaders. Both trainers used Megas. Ash followed Korrina on her journey because they became fast friends, and he wanted to fight the Gym Leader at her strongest. In any of the five episodes that he accompanied Korrina, Ash never exhibited any interest in wanting to Mega Evolve his own Pokémon.

Besides Ash's lack of enthusiasm on the topic, I just can't see Mega Evolution working out for Ash. All of the Megas portrayed in the anime thus far have more than just very strong bonds with their trainers. According to the anime, Mega Evolution can only truly succeed if the trainer and Pokémon have "one heart and two viewpoints." More than just friendship and trust are required, and the anime has portrayed this necessity several times.

Diantha was able to sense Gardevoir's heartbeat in the fog and hear its voice after Gardevoir was taken away by TRio, and she immediately found her Pokémon on both occasions. Korrina was able to call out her voice deep into Lucario's subconscious, albeit after numerous attempts.

Both trainers have had their respective Pokémon for many years and do more than just battle and train together. Korrina and Lucario were interacting on a regular basis, to the point in which Lucario can be considered a walking Pokémon in the anime. Gardevoir, similarly, has been shown out of its ball numerous times.

Except for Pikachu, who can't Mega Evolve, Ash hasn't really connected with any of his Pokémon on that intimate level described as "one heart, two viewpoints."

Ash still doesn't have the initiative to pursue Mega Evolution to improve himself, even after he encountered numerous trainers who have made the process work for them.

For all of the aforementioned reasons, I feel that Ash won't get a Mega. The writers could very well surprise me by actually moving Ash towards that direction, but most likely such a transition will be forced onto the character and feel awkward. Having Ash Mega Evolve his Pokémon is like having Brock participate in gym battles- it just doesn't feel right for them.

Greninja is in Super Smash Bros. You are a fool if you think Ash's Frogadier isn't evolving into Greninja :p

Ash's Froakie will evolve into a Greninja at some point.

All of the playable Pokémon in Smash Bros. games have the same voices as their most popular anime counterparts - Ash's Pikachu and Charizard, the Original Series Jigglypuff, Movie 1's Mewtwo, Movie 8's Lucario, and one of the two Pichu Brothers (from the Movie 3 short).

Except for Greninja, whose voice actor (in the Japanese) is the same voice actor as Ash's Froakie. The only other Greninja in the anime - Sanpei's and Ninja Riot's (from M17) - are voiced by different actors in the Japanese version. If this Greninja is intended to be based off of an anime Greninja, it is very likely that the Pokémon is a copy of what could eventually become Ash's Greninja.

The fact that the Smash Bros. developers deliberately chose Yuji Ueda for the role is telling.

Last edited:

More like 90+ episodes hahaha, the first US XY season are 48 episodes and if this generation is going to last 3 years (like BW) maybe the Kalos saga will end around 144-145 episodes, I remember someone in the US dub said BW was going to last 3 seasons, some people didn't believe him and turned out he was right...

Actually, I was talking about after episodes slated to air in Japan until XY60. Also tried to account for weeks an episode doesn't air or there's something Ash-free (which seems to be happening quite a bit this saga).

Besides Ash's lack of enthusiasm on the topic, I just can't see Mega Evolution working out for Ash. All of the Megas portrayed in the anime thus far have more than just very strong bonds with their trainers. According to the anime, Mega Evolution can only truly succeed if the trainer and Pokémon have "one heart and two viewpoints." More than just friendship and trust are required, and the anime has portrayed this necessity several times.

Except for Pikachu, who can't Mega Evolve, Ash hasn't really connected with any of his Pokémon on that intimate level described as "one heart, two viewpoints."

I don't know, him and Charizard are pretty close. (He has a good relationship with Sceptile too).

And now that you mention it, I wouldn't be surprised if the producers had Pikachu go Mega... :uhoh:

Last edited:
Though I find the Show's take on Mega-Evolution requiring trainers loving their Pokémon like family or lovers REALLY annoying and unfair :mad:
(What if I want a bad guy--or at least a jerk--to get a Mega-Evo? Because seeing a villain be all buddy-buddy with their Pokémon will lose them big points on my Evil Scale.)

... That's not exclusive to the show. It's said in the games as well that Mega Evolution requires a strong bond between trainer and Pokémon, I'm at least glad the show is actually making use of that piece of lore.

If anything being unable to use Mega Evolution would be a good way for a jerk character to realize that maybe he should be treating his Pokémon with more respect. I kinda want that as a plot point now.

... That's not exclusive to the show. It's said in the games as well that Mega Evolution requires a strong bond between trainer and Pokémon, I'm at least glad the show is actually making use of that piece of lore.

OH! :eek:

Still annoying and kinda unfair though.

If anything being unable to use Mega Evolution would be a good way for a jerk character to realize that maybe he should be treating his Pokémon with more respect. I kinda want that as a plot point now.

But PokeWorld (desperately) NEEDS more jerks!

Last edited:
Okay I think both are pretty likely. Froakie is pretty popular. Probably as popular as Charizard (or even more since Smogon had taken a liking to him compared to Charizard pre-VI).

As for the Megas I can see a couple possibilities:
  • Charizard, Heracross and Sectile are the obvious choices, since Ash has alreayd caught them (and becuase the starters can be there for fanservice or to promotr ORAS)...
  • However, there is a chance that Ash will catch a new pokemon to use as a Mega. Possibilities involve Absol (He's no longer avere to Darktypes since he caught Scraggy, and Absol is the more heroc pokemon with that type despite the scapegoating. I can see a scenario where an Absol senses a distaster int he works and somehow knows that Ash is the one that could avert it)
  • Another possibility is Lucario, However it is very unlikely since Ash has already beaten Korrina and already have a Fighting-type (Hawlucha) but then again, type redundancy prolly isn't an issue (Hawlucha and Fletchiner)
  • Some of his unevolved pokemon has a chance to evolve and then Mega-evolve. Bulbasaur and Gible. Bulbasaur seems unlikely, but Gible? well it might actually be possible (helping is that the Mega would less broken then the normal Garchomp).
  • Finally he might catch another Pseudo-legendary (Namely, Beldum) and evolve it. It would be unlikely since that may require a crossover with the Mega-Evolution specials, but it could still happen

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom