• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

If there was ONE thing about Ash that you could change what you it be?

What thing about Ash would you change?

• Total voters
Also, Ash totally has the hots for Paul and Gary, he's just doesn't know it yet. Why else do you think he gets so riled up when they insult him, but hardly bats an eye at the girls. :naughty:

Truth.

But, honestly, thank god for the writers making him asexual. Romance is the last thing I want in Pokemon; leave that to the fandom. It creates less conflict ^^; That's something I wouldn't change :p

Yes, because having Ash sound like a grown ass man in his 30s is so much better. :rolleyes: There's a reason why most young male characters are voiced by females, because usually men go through puberty. Besides, its hardly uncommon for women to voice boys, there's plenty of male characters who are voiced by women Bart Simpson and Timmy Turner instantly come to mind when I think about it.
Yeah, females voicing young boys is very common.

Also, the gender of the VA shouldn't matter. All that matters to me, is that the voice acting is good. =P

Ash is the reason why i hate the anime..
The most irritating thing is that you watch the anime for almost 190 episodes in a season and he is back to scratch again at the end of the season..
His age, thinking, maturity remain the same WHILE I AM GROWING UP.
I just cant relate to him anymore..
The best nintendo can do is to introduce a time gap after bw just like in naruto..
Or just chuck him out!

Its just sad like some have mentioned it isn't bad that he has a female voice but if he does have a female voice actor they need to make him sound more like a MALE! His voice is downright annoying and pathetic I don't mean they should have him sounding like a 30+ year old man like Brock but its sad when his rivals sounds more masculine than he does. Timmy Turner and Tommy from the Rugrats (I mean when they were babies) were voiced by girls and to tell the truth I don't mind that. You know the funny this is Timmy Turner is 10 like Ash and they are so different lol

I have become highly disappointed with the anime I want to follow it with all of my heart because I've been a loyal fan since the beginning but as Rutvik said "I Am Growing Up." it pains me to think that one day if the anime continues going down the road that it is with Ash being a FAIL of a main character that I'll stop watching it.

If you can't relate to the characters on screen then there is no real reason to watch a program. I wish the writers would do something to change the view of Ash in the eyes of the veteran viewers. And they need to do it soon.

E.G Daily is the only person to ever voice Tommy Pickles, in the main franchise, Rugrats, the movies and All Grown Up (never played the games, so I'm not sure is she ever had a voice double)

Meh, Ash's character might annoy the hell outta me sometimes, but it would never make me quit the show, I know at a point in time I just skipped a few episodes that were boring, but I'd never stop watching Pokemon. Despite its flaws its still a great series and the fact that its been running so successfully this long, despite what some of the fandom may or may not think, is a feat within itself.

Ash's voice has never really been a problem with me. Then again I stopped watching the dub only a bit into DP, and his Japanese voice actress does fine. I stopped watching the dub because listening to the dialogue just became painful.

Making Ash anything but asexual would also be utterly terrible. There are so many series out there you can watch if you want romance. Pokemon is about the games, and since this isn't harvest moon, romance can stay out of it.

I would say the generational reset is the worst thing about Ash,but it's something I understand them doing. He probably doesn't need to be as stupid as he tends to get, but it would be nice if there could be more continuity between series other than just Pikachu's moveset staying the same. The problem is obviously Pikachu since he needs to get nerfed when he changes from fighting Regis to fighting Bidoofs, but that doesn't necessarily mean they need to wipe Ash's mind of all things strategical.

I could care less about Ash's shoulder rat, but I do agree with the continuity with his strategy. I mean he's gone through four regions and he still keeps the same mentality of attack first and worry about the consequences later, it used to be annoying but now it just gets to the point where I can't wait for him to lose.

See, I watch the dub and that voice is annoying but for some reason I can stand his Japanese voice actress and that's saying something to me when it comes to the dubs here is how I see it; the music and voice acting is better in the original but sucks in the dub (in most cases) this is the exact opposite of DBZ where the dub is epic while the Japanese music and such are lackluster to me.

His mind is something that has been altered as well whether its the writers making him take 20 steps backwards after coming so far and learning so much a region or the damage he has suffered from getting bit on the head from Turtwig one too many times. The way he just throws away what he knows just to resort to reckless strategies makes no sense to me at all.

When I said I'd stop watching the anime anymore; if it ever came to this I would stop watching from a certain point let's say I stop during BW I would not stop watching past episodes but I would probably not view any of the new ones because of the predictability of Ash losing and then resetting after the season is over.

Hopefully, it will never come to that point...

Oh that's cool I never knew Tommy had the same actor the entire time well I never got into All Grown Up so I wouldn't know.

^ I know what you mean by predictable, I only watch the eps if I have nothing else to do. Though as high pitched has his jap voice is I think it fits his personality more than his english voice, dubbed Ash sounds like he's got a cold or something maybe its just me though.

I agree and I think I've said it many times before; his rival interactions don't have a great effect on me. His rivals with their more mature voices dwarfs Ash's attempts at comebacks no matter how hard he tries.

His rival says something that pisses him off and he responds, "What was that?!?!" and it sounds all whiny, stuffy and non-threatening that's for sure. If I were a rival of his...hold up I wouldn't have a rival as pathetic as him, but either way if he said that to me I would laugh in his face.

But yeah his Jap. voice has more effect to it that the dub that's for sure. I don't know what I'd do if I was never introduced to the Jap. version of the show lol

Personally, I'm glad Ash is voiced by a woman. I wouldn't want him to sound like he's forty years old like Drew.

In general, the US tends to have its talents lean more towards acting while Japan seems better at voice acting. Or so I heard/noticed.

I'm growing used to Satoshi's voice in the dub, but it still bothers me quite a bit. I can't tell if that's just my natural distaste for dubs (though there are some magnificent dubs I've seen all the way through, such as Soul Eater) or if it's just mediocre voice acting. Sometimes it seems like the voice actor isn't putting in enough emotion, especially when you've already seem the original episode beforehand like me, making you compare the original to the dub unconsciously (or consciously). And in the original, there's always quite a lot of emotion in almost every line, which makes the dub seem worse than it actually is.

I've no issues with his maturity level as long as it doesn't plummet too much. By plummeting too much, I'm talking about mindlessly chucking a Pokeball at a Pokemon without even battling it, ala Tsutarja. This is one of my only gripes about his current character.

See, I watch the dub and that voice is annoying but for some reason I can stand his Japanese voice actress and that's saying something to me when it comes to the dubs here is how I see it; the music and voice acting is better in the original but sucks in the dub (in most cases) this is the exact opposite of DBZ where the dub is epic while the Japanese music and such are lackluster to me.
That's interesting.

Now when you say Ash's voice is annoying in the dub, exactly which voice are you referring to? Do you mean Sarah Natochenny's Ash, Veronica Taylor's Ash, or both? I'm curious. ^^

Though as high pitched has his jap voice is I think it fits his personality more than his english voice, dubbed Ash sounds like he's got a cold or something maybe its just me though.
Trust me, it isn't just you. I've always thought Sarah's Ash sounded too deep and unnatural. That voice just doesn't fit Ash, in my opinion. =/

Now I'm not saying that Sarah's Ash voice is really bad, just that it sounds awkward at times.

On the bright side though, in rare instances, Sarah can sound very similar to Veronica. So overall, there are certain episodes where I really like Sarah's performance. And there are other episodes where I just think she was okay or average (but not great).

Although, to be fair, Veronica's Ash sounded awkward for the first 20 or so episodes of season one. But I actually LIKED that voice. XD

You see, Ash's original English voice has this unique quality to it that I really love (Veronica kept this quality for the first 3 seasons). It made Ash sound so cute, young, and energetic!! :ksmile:

I'm growing used to Satoshi's voice in the dub, but it still bothers me quite a bit. I can't tell if that's just my natural distaste for dubs (though there are some magnificent dubs I've seen all the way through, such as Soul Eater) or if it's just mediocre voice acting. Sometimes it seems like the voice actor isn't putting in enough emotion, especially when you've already seem the original episode beforehand like me, making you compare the original to the dub unconsciously (or consciously). And in the original, there's always quite a lot of emotion in almost every line, which makes the dub seem worse than it actually is.
Haha, that's the same way with me. Except I compare the TPCi dub to the 4Kids dub, because the voice acting is so different. XD

Also, because Veronica Taylor was so wonderful at portraying Ash (in my opinion), this made Sarah's performance seem worse than it really was. That's why I disliked Sarah's acting in the D/P series. However, with B/W it's a different story. Sarah has really improved, and I've finally gotten used to her portrayal of Ash. And that's a good thing, because I can finally enjoy the new episodes.

But as far as Ash's personality goes, Veronica will always be Ash Ketchum to me. =)

Last edited:
Haha, that's the same way with me. Except I compare the TPCi dub to the 4Kids dub, because the voice acting is so different. XD

Also, because Veronica Taylor was so wonderful at portraying Ash (in my opinion), this made Sarah's performance seem worse than it really was. That's why I disliked Sarah's acting in the D/P series. However, with B/W it's a different story. Sarah has really improved, and I've finally gotten used to her portrayal of Ash. And that's a good thing, because I can finally enjoy the new episodes.

But as far as Ash's personality goes, Veronica will always be Ash Ketchum to me. =)

I adored Veronica Taylor. Had no idea she did both Ash and May until a few years back - came as quite a shock, really. Her acting was perfect but the translations themselves weren't... though the latter is courtesy of 4Kids. I'm sure the VAs don't have much to say in that matter.

I wish they'd bring her back as Ash, but it doesn't seem likely. Would've been amazing if Pokemon transferred over to Cartoon Network with Veronica still doing the leading voice; it'd mean better translations than before while still keeping the awesome voice. 4Kids' dub still has a special place in my heart due to nostalgia. Heck, Veronica's Ash sounds almost like Rica's Japanese Satoshi (at least to me).

....I seem to have went off topic. XD

Another little tidbit that I just remembered that bugged me: Satoshi scans Pokemon that he'd already seen. Not sure what he's trying to accomplish by doing that. Gamagaru comes to mind.

I don't want anything romantic to develop between any of the characters; it distracts from the show. Like CommanderPigg said, leave that to the fanbase.

I adored Veronica Taylor. Had no idea she did both Ash and May until a few years back - came as quite a shock, really. Her acting was perfect but the translations themselves weren't... though the latter is courtesy of 4Kids. I'm sure the VAs don't have much to say in that matter.

I wish they'd bring her back as Ash, but it doesn't seem likely. Would've been amazing if Pokemon transferred over to Cartoon Network with Veronica still doing the leading voice; it'd mean better translations than before while still keeping the awesome voice. 4Kids' dub still has a special place in my heart due to nostalgia. Heck, Veronica's Ash sounds almost like Rica's Japanese Satoshi (at least to me).

....I seem to have went off topic. XD
Hehe, true. That is off topic, but I totally agree with everything you just said. XD

Anyway, as for as translations go, I am clueless on that, because I only watch the dub. But, I've always wondered what Satoshi's lines were like in comparison to Ash's lines. For the 4Kids dub, were Ash's lines similar to Satoshi's lines? Or were they actually quite different? I mean, I know that translations in dubs can't be 100% accurate (as you said the translations weren't perfect). But it would be awesome if, every now and then, Ash's lines would be very close to what Satoshi had said in the Japanese version. ^^

And basically, I'm just asking about the 4Kids dub. Like the early Johto episodes for example. Would Ash's lines be similar or different than Satoshi's? This is something I've always wondered about.

I don't want anything romantic to develop between any of the characters; it distracts from the show. Like CommanderPigg said, leave that to the fanbase.
I agree. Romance doesn't fit into the Pokemon anime. It just isn't that kind of show.

Battling with his experience, hands down.

Come on.. if you want to make a fire type stronger, let it battle a strong firetype.

Infernape vs. Charizard training.

Pokabu training against Torkoal.

Buizel vs. (what's the 5th gen water called again)

He's got all that experience, let him use it.

THANK YOU!!!!

He should be doing this from the very beginning like Chimchar with Flamethrower, Stary with Aerial Ace, Miju with Aqua Jet and so on. The boy has experienced Pokemon all over the place in Oak's lab, Jenny's Squirtle Squad, Charizard is in the valley, etc. It wouldn't hurt to bring some of them back and help with the new generation that he has caught. I mean really would some cameos hurt that much?

He could really improve if he did that and his team would benefit greatly from it as well. Come on now Tranquill could get A LOT from learning from Staraptor, Swellow and Noctowl.

THANK YOU!!!!

He should be doing this from the very beginning like Chimchar with Flamethrower, Stary with Aerial Ace, Miju with Aqua Jet and so on. The boy has experienced Pokemon all over the place in Oak's lab, Jenny's Squirtle Squad, Charizard is in the valley, etc. It wouldn't hurt to bring some of them back and help with the new generation that he has caught. I mean really would some cameos hurt that much?

He could really improve if he did that and his team would benefit greatly from it as well. Come on now Tranquill could get A LOT from learning from Staraptor, Swellow and Noctowl.

Not sure about Noctowl, but Starraptor and Swellow could be useful training partners.
Brave Bird or double team e.g.

Using previous generation pokemon to help training could also be a good merchandising strategy to keep the old generations in focus.

Pokebu v.s. Torkoal would be most interesting in my opinion. Torkoal is the master of defense and bringing him in for training would allow for it to learn Shell smash. Pokebu would train to overcome high defense and possibly after shell smash a faster fire type.

Quilava could be used to train speed. So many possibilities and none used. Perhaps the previous gen pokemon will make another appearance before the league, but it would simply defeat the purpose.

Please note: The thread is from 11 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom