• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

If there was ONE thing about Ash that you could change what you it be?

What thing about Ash would you change?

• Total voters

Paulisthebest

"Ursaring, standby for battle!"
Reaction score
I was looking at BW32 for the first time today and saw Ash still being completely oblivious to romance and relationships. That was the last straw even though its been going on for years this time it really irked me because of the random expression of confusion written on his face.

Some things that come to mind if I could change Ash;
  • His Age
  • His cluelessness toward the opposite sex (relationships, flirting, romance, etc.)
  • The way he battles, that he would actually apply the lessons and techniques that he learned throughout his travels instead of being head-strong, reckless and being overly excited which leads to a quick defeat
  • That he wins a major competition (besides BF or Orange League)
  • His empty promises (getting back Pidgeot, visiting old friends, etc.)
  • Noticing TR when they are in ridiculously obvious outfits/disguises
  • *cough* His voice…*cough*
And the list goes on and on, what would you change?

I would cure his disease of no-agingidise or I'd take them all out of the the giant Neverland world evryone in Pokemon lives in.

His stupidity impulsive attitude. It personally irks me how much he'll endanger his life when he has Pokemon that can do the job for him. He needs to think before he does things and the fact that no one ever calls him out on it, just pisses me off something fierce. Need to catch my falling Pikachu that was just chucked out a window 50 stories high? Oh, let me just ignore that convenient flying type I have in my party and I'll jump out the window and rescue him myself instead, consequences be damned, as long as Pikachu's safe I don't care that I might die! (I know he won't, but still...) Need to block an attack? Oh, instead of having my Pikachu deflect it, I'll just jump in the way, because using my body as a shield is much more effective.

Aside from that, there's nothing else I'd like to change.

Last edited:
Relationship definitely.
The guy has so many girls after him and he is just like:

Girl:Hey Ash, want to do something tonight? -naughty wink-
Ash:Like HAVING A POKEMON BATTLE?!?
Girl:._. yea, like that -sigh-

Haha, King Maggot that reminds me of Goku and Chi-Chi's first date;
  • Chi-Chi, "On a date, a boy needs to think of something that he enjoys doing and try to convince the girl to do the same thing."
  • Goku, "Oh, ok I see."
  • Chi-Chi, *blushes* AGHHHH!!! *she dodges a punch from Goku and it leaves a mark in the tree*
  • Then the two start fighting
  • Goku, "So, this is dating its a lot of fun!!!"
  • Chi-Chi, "This is not what I had in mind..."

Yes, he is TOO reckless does he forget about his red-haired sweetheart in Cerulean or his own mother?!?!?! I know he does it for the better of a poor or injured Pokemon but he really needs to think before he acts, like in the Venipede episode he picks up the baby Venipede after the Pokedex tells him about how it has high poison and then he passes out and could have been killed not to mention taking on a Shadow Ball later in the episode

That Neverland reference was hilarious I don't know why I never thought of comparing the two worlds lol

Does it even need to be said? Ok, fine, I guess I will. His main flaw is that he's too reckless. The anime pretends this is a good thing since it means he doesn't follow the normal rules of battling, and is thus sort of unpredictable. When Paul realized this flaw, I thought it was the perfect opportunity to realize his shortcomings and start thinking of battles more strategically. Nope, didn't happen. I refuse to believe this is a good thing. He is a good trainer, but he should start acting like one. I would fix this above all else. Only age would fix his obliviousness if anything can. If not, then maybe he shouldn't be allowed to breed. What would happen if he did suddenly fall in love? I can't say I would know. What would appeal to him? A strong female trainer? (If you suggest any of his female companions or White, I will punch you to the Inferno)

Whoops, ironic that the title of the thread reads if ONE thing about Ash is changed what would it be but I have multi-choice on the poll, oh well...

The lightning marks on his face, I agree that they should go see in flashbacks of characters being very young they have marks like that along with little pink ovals on their cheeks signifying how young they are I suppose, I always thought he would lose the marks when he actually grows older than 10...

Another thing I've wondered is why some characters have their shirt/coat collars folded up but older people like Reggie have then folded down, random but something I've always wondered about.

I think the marks could signify how he and Pikachu have a connection???

A trainer that's just as reckless and oblivious as him.
Paul/Gary/Trip You never said anything about males :D /brick'd

I honestly have no clue, when you put it that way Samurott, Ash shouldn't even be allowed to date or anything, just the thought of it is scary...

I don't think it's fair at all that the writers purposely reset ash every season he has over a decade of experience, He won the Orange league and the Battle Frontier. This makes every season very similar to the last, I mean do they think we all stop watching and everyone is new to the series every season?

His existence.

What, no takers? Hmph, partypoopers. >> But, no, in seriousness, I honestly don't mind his personality too much; it's moreso his continued status as the main protagonist that bothers me. As happy as I'd be if he were to get a little smarter and stop resetting his intelligence at the beginning of every new region, I'd be happier if he just stepped down and let someone else have the spotlight, perhaps while staying on in an advisory capacity or something.

I'd have Arceus, Celebi, Mewtwo and or Dialga cure his enternal youth decease. Wait...maybe it's because of his encounters with them that he has that! *gets shot*

Noticing TR in their disquises. Seriously. SERIOUSLY?! Out of all the TR stupidities, THIS is the worst of them all. It's not funny nor amusing anymore. It makes me facepalm. -.-

Keeping his promises. This also falls on writers keeping continuity. So ofcourse I'd change that!

Battling/Training with the experience that he has gained over the years
Winning a major tournament or league. Same as above.

His age mainly. That would greatly improve how he approaches battles, and trains. While he's still a strong trainer after a while it doesn't feel like he's going anywhere since he remains 10.

Oh plot.

Age is the number one thing I'd change about Ash. He didn't even act 10 during the DP series; I personally thought of him as 13-14ish, which would make sense because I figured these regional league conferences are an annual thing, and sorta the Pokemon world's equivalent of the Superbowl, i.e. they happen all around the same time and thus Ash couldn't have finished 4 leagues (and one backwater half-league) in under a year. Since the AG series he's acted older than 10, really. Why they would do this only to turn around and say "oh he's still 10 BTW" 8 years later in BW is beyond me, but it pisses me off.

TR has some really pathetic disguises that Ash really should've seen through, though this isn't just his problem; it extends to the entire traveling cast. One thing I thought would've been funny while watching the Jessiebelle return episode in DP is if Ash was suspicious of Jessie-as-Jessiebelle, even though that's probably her most convincing disguise ever. Still, it's always a facepalm moment.

Keeping his promises... hahaha... that poor Pidgeot.

The constant resetting for new series is rather grating; in some ways it's understandable because something will affect Pikachu that powers him down temporarily and Ash starts out only with just Pikachu, so all of his freshly-acquired Pokemon are fair game for various blunders as Ash gets used to them.

What bothers me about this - and this is specifically the BW series I'm talking about here - is that Ash doesn't seem to remember many of the important lessons he learned. Arguing with Iris about differing battling styles? That was the whole point of Ash's rivalry with Paul. Ash clearly learned that not all differing training styles are bad (Paul's abuse towards Chimchar notwithstanding), and there was no excuse for him to just forget all about that. I think in some way the lessons he learns about his Pokemon as he raises them are lost in the transition to BW as well, whereas the first three series felt much more like direct continuities of each other as far as what Ash has learned is concerned. Now watch me be lynched for saying all that.

Otherwise, Ash is pretty much fine to me.

I forgot to mention his annoying tendancy to ask questions that have already been answered or repeat things that were just said. Here are a few examples;

• Paul; Torterra, standby for battle!
  • Torterra; Torterra!!
  • Ash; Wow, that’s a Torterra!
  • Pokedex; Torterra, the Continent Pokemon…

• Flint; Volkner is responsible for building this tower and all of the solar panels that power up Sunnyshore City!
  • Ash; Volkner did all of this?

• Roark’s gym assistant; Roark is the foreman of the fossil site
  • Ash; you’re the foreman!?

And this is just a taste of Ash's questions...funny how this trait mostly takes place during the DP saga.

Ash has repetitive dialogue like that so children easily understand what's going on. Same reason why Brock has to explain every little thing that happened in a battle.

Ash has repetitive dialogue like that so children easily understand what's going on. Same reason why Brock has to explain every little thing that happened in a battle.

Yeah, but for veteran viewers that quickly became an annoyance, but I do see your point.

make him not lose to a rookie
(TRIP)

Actually, I'd like to change his backstory: boy from Pallet Town, grew up with Gary Oak, has a hot mom. He could have a backstory.

Please note: The thread is from 11 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom