• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Is Legend of Zelda: Majoras Mask 3d a good Zelda game to start with?

Majoras Mask?

• Yes

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Other(put in thread)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TylerM

was (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚ ✧
Reaction score
Hi! I have never played a Zelda game, and was wondering if Majoras Mask 3d was a good one to start with. Thank you!

Hi! I have never played a Zelda game, and was wondering if Majoras Mask 3d was a good one to start with. Thank you!

I love Majoras mask, its my favourite zelda game ever, but as its a sequel to ocarina of time, id suggest thats the one you start with, ironically its also the one i start with

No. Definitely no. MM is a terrible game, imo. Its story is alright, I like how it's dark, but the overworld, the dungeons, and just about everything else about it is boring and uninteresting. The characters have good development, but are otherwise uninteresting to me too. I also feel that the game is far too sidequest heavy and doesn't have enough of a main game. There are only FOUR total dungeons, which is just pathetic when some other Zelda games have at least twice that number (heck, MM's direct prequel is one of them. Ocarina of Time has nine dungeons). The save system and three-day system is also rather annoying, though not a major issue. The final boss is also a joke. I beat him without even trying and hardly knowing what I was doing half the time, and I didn't use the Fierce Deity's Mask either. I had the Guilded Sword, but that's it.

The one part of MM I did enjoy though, was Ikana Canyon, and its dungeon. That area was really awesome. But imo, not enough to pick up the game again, sadly.

If you want a good Zelda game to start with, I recommend Ocarina of Time. It's not a top fav of mine either, but it's pretty good and still readily available since it's also on 3DS. For handheld Zelda, Minish Cap is your best bet since it's not just AMAZING, it's also available to download on the eShop. Then I'd go for Skyward Sword, which I don't find very newcomer friendly because of the somewhat more complicated gameplay than games before it. It's an amazing game, but the motion controls can take some getting used to. They're still great though, and really make you feel like you're swinging a sword around!

Start with Ocarina of time 3D if you want to get Majora's Mask 3D as Majora's Mask is a sequel.

You can start with other Zeldas if you want like Skyward Sword or Twilight Princess (My personal favourite but not everyone likes it) as they're not sequels and make perfect sense if you have never played a Zelda game before.

Majora's Mask is probably the most un-Zeldalike game in the series, so I don't recommend starting out with it. It doesn't even take place in Hyrule or feature standard characters like Princess Zelda or Ganondorf. I agree with everyone here – starting with Ocarina of Time 3D is probably the best option. It's pretty bread and butter story-wise but that's a good thing for someone new to the series.

So could I borrow my friend's copy of Ocarina of Time, beat it, and then play Majoras Mask?

So could I borrow my friend's copy of Ocarina of Time, beat it, and then play Majoras Mask?

Yeah, that seems a fair enough idea. Ocarina, naturally as the first 3D Zelda, serves very much as a foundation for what you can expect of the others. They all expanded, and if you ask me, improved on it in their own ways, but still, Ocarina was the one which started off the whole 3D thing, so it consequently is the most beginner-friendly. After that, I would definitely and wholeheartedly recommend Majora's Mask.

Also, if you get a chance, I'd recommend getting Skyward Sword, Wind Waker (HD if possible) and Twilight Princess as well. Twilight Princess is an odd one, in that I'd definitely advise you to get the GameCube version rather than the Wii one, if at all possible, but at the end of the day it doesn't really matter. They're all worth getting at some point, I'd say, if you like Ocarina. And that being said, if you don't (which would be a surprise) there's every possibility that whatever you don't like will be improved in another one, so that's a thing.

No. Definitely no. MM is a terrible game, imo. Its story is alright, I like how it's dark, but the overworld, the dungeons, and just about everything else about it is boring and uninteresting. The characters have good development, but are otherwise uninteresting to me too. I also feel that the game is far too sidequest heavy and doesn't have enough of a main game. There are only FOUR total dungeons, which is just pathetic when some other Zelda games have at least twice that number (heck, MM's direct prequel is one of them. Ocarina of Time has nine dungeons). The save system and three-day system is also rather annoying, though not a major issue. The final boss is also a joke. I beat him without even trying and hardly knowing what I was doing half the time, and I didn't use the Fierce Deity's Mask either. I had the Guilded Sword, but that's it.

The one part of MM I did enjoy though, was Ikana Canyon, and its dungeon. That area was really awesome. But imo, not enough to pick up the game again, sadly.

If you want a good Zelda game to start with, I recommend Ocarina of Time. It's not a top fav of mine either, but it's pretty good and still readily available since it's also on 3DS. For handheld Zelda, Minish Cap is your best bet since it's not just AMAZING, it's also available to download on the eShop. Then I'd go for Skyward Sword, which I don't find very newcomer friendly because of the somewhat more complicated gameplay than games before it. It's an amazing game, but the motion controls can take some getting used to. They're still great though, and really make you feel like you're swinging a sword around!

I stopped reading after "MM is terrible".

Not a starting point, but it's a superior game to Ocarina.

I still regard the best games in the series to be Link to the Past and Link's Awakening, with Wind Waker HD being the best 3D Zelda.

Imo, best handheld Zelda is The Minish Cap, the best 3D Zelda is Skyward Sword. ALttP gets second place for best home console Zelda after SS.

I hated TWW as well, btw. TWW HD did improve some things, but not enough, imo. But I swear, MM and TWW are the only Zelda games I hated.

I couldn't say there are any Zelda games I honestly don't like - I never really got into Link's Awakening or A Link to the Past, but what I've played of them seemed good to me. My favourite by some way is definitely Majora's Mask, since I find it so much more emotionally engaging than pretty much any others, and I guess that's what really makes a game for me. Hey, it's backed up by solid gameplay and a great world so I've no complaints there either. I don't mind only having four dungeons, since they were pretty good and also lengthy, and more to the point, there was plenty of overworld stuff in each area leading up to them, which I feel is something a fair few of the other games miss out on.

Other than that, I'm not sure how to rate Wind Waker (HD, since now the original's kinda redundant), Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword; they're all more or less on par. I feel they all did some things very well, and all expanded and improved on the great foundations of Ocarina in their own ways. I guess I probably prefer Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, mostly just because of how hand-holdy Skyward Sword got, but maybe not. Hmm.

Anyway, one thing I do agree with Kelleo about is that Minish Cap's also a really great one. I'm not sure I'd quite rate it as highly as the 3D games, but it's nonetheless an excellent game, and a lot better than any other top-down games, if you ask me.

On a side note, just wondering if anyone else here genuinely loved the Wind Waker's Triforce collecting quest. Because I did, but sometimes I feel like I'm sort of on my own with that.

I didn't mind the Triforce hunt, but at that point I hadn't explored the entire ocean so it led me to new areas as well.

Majora's Mask is my favourite 3D Zelda due to the character development and engagement, but in terms of the overall Zelda experience I give it to Wind Waker as the best of the 3D iterations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom