• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN038: Miracle Restoration, the Fossil Pokémon!

This might just be the best Aerodactyl focus we’ve ever had - with the exception of the Chronicles episode with Gary, we’ve never really seen one vulnerable and anything other than a big scary monster.

Just when are they going to take Koharu to the next step? She already said she admired Pokemon in some of her last Focused Episodes. Things are getting repetitive fast.
Given how much they develop Go and then forget about it by the next episode, we could be here for a while.

Some first thoughts:

So Satoshi can throw a large rock in the air like it’s nothing? He has finally regained his strength!

I really hoped that the gachat would not be able to reach the TRio, because they were inside a dome. But then it just broke through it :confused:

EA4D97BA-D074-491A-B484-304480462EB5.jpeg

76871D6D-5FBC-4193-A2DB-8CBA11D2C9DB.jpeg

43FBFB31-F522-4C6F-8A91-DB9BA02C1791.jpeg
0BC338E2-6489-4E90-8094-C8E9D4F57EFD.jpeg

69C7A41E-9CB0-4354-85D6-C57C760164EA.jpeg

1905C9C7-4CFD-4708-ABBE-E16C3B2B4F23.jpeg

Decent episode. I thought Koharu would play a bigger role, but she was just kind of there. I am glad we finally got some long awaited Ash/Koharu interactions, as minor as they were. Between her increasing traveling role and the Eevee spoiler, she may actually become a regular travelling companion one day. The recurring characters were a nice suprise, I wasn't expecting the idol girl to come back, although she should really be in Hoenn. I wonder if the "ROMAN!" guy will keep popping up all over the world. Team Rocket were just okay this episode.

The animation was noticeably poor, with lots of reused animations and lackluster battles. The Aerodactyl scene was okay but pretty stiff, however the Team Rocket battle was really bad and should probably have been omitted in favor of more Koharu development. It was nice to see Gou have another "Ash moment" before he caught Aerodactyl, although it was a bit cliché. A fairly standard filler, better than the Feebas episode in any case.

So random thought but is it just me or does Koharu look better with her hair down compared to in the braid?
I always felt similarly about Dawn.

For a Go-centric episode it wasn't that bad. It feels plausible he, Ash and Chloe could travel to Pewter City, since there's just the forest to cross instead of spontaneous trips to other regions unchaperoned. He showed a lot of development in his battle with Aerodactyl, using strategy to get it in the ground in one place, and with a pokemon he hasn't had much screentime with, and even showed some empathy to it before catching it.

Was really glad that Aerodactyl got a lot of attention. Some of the scenes that showed him looked kind of scary but I loved that. I'm just a bit sad that Brock wasn't shown even if that was expected.

Or Forrest, since Brock is probably away training to be a Pokemon Doctor (he should be qualified enough to run his own Pokemon Center by now).

I noticed a pretty nice piece of inter-series continuity in this episode yesterday.

20200920205009%21Pewter_City_Pok%C3%A9mon_Center.png
Pewter_City_Pok%C3%A9mon_Center.png
If only they adhered to keeping the world building intact like in this episode and the previous one, instead of making filler-esque locations or redesigns to the point that past locations are no longer recognizable.

Last edited:
I really can't stand Ash constantly being with only Pikachu - next week's episode is Riolu focused, it would have absolutely no downside to the storyline to have it at the very least battle alongside Pikachu - or even send Pikachu with Koharu to keep her safe while Riolu battled Team Rocket alone. Just some extra battle time to show a justification for the inevitable powerboost for the next Grapploct battle.

His Pokemon don't get enough screen time as it is, so it's more frustrating that simple opportunities to see more of them aren't taken.

On the other hand Gou was good here, I liked this enthusiasm and the way he battled. I kinda don't like how Golurk was so strong compared to Raboot who actually gets enough training on screen to justify it - but that's slightly made up for by some fun scenes early on with Golurk grabbing the small rocks to search for fossils. At the very least, he both battled a Pokemon and had an emotional bond, not just throwing a ball on sight - that's as much as I can ask for.

The annoying part of Koharu appearing is that she's so rarely in episodes, it feels wrong when she's not the main focus of the ones she is in. I'm fine with her appearances being like this episode - just make them more frequent!

Jessie had the best line of the episode, the very quiet reaction after being found was great.

Is this the first time we've seen Raboot go inside it's Pokeball since it was first captured?

Heck is this the first time it's fainted since it was a Scorbunny?
Exactly. Watching Goh call his Raboot back in its Poké ball felt like he was commiting a crime.

hmmm

- fang girl is cute
- a kabutops right there near the kids, with those sharp blades... bad ideaaa
- I really, really like Jessie's Japanese VA (and the rest of TR's tbh). She puts so much emotion into her acting. Just another reminder why I love the TRio!
- Chloe getting into learning about fossils is sweet. Love seeing her show more emotion, and am hopeful by the end it'll be happening a lot more frequently. Really do hope it'll be buildup to her growth and future, rather than just being repeated scenarios (since something similar already happened in the Milotic episode) leading up to nothing.
- Geez Ash that is one heavy rock. pretty sure I wouldn't be able to lift, much less toss that in the air lol. then again it's nothing new with the things he's been able to lift before.....
- The Amber is very pretty - loved seeing it held up against the sunset. Really minor thing, but very visually pleasing for me. :enzap:
- ok I didn't expect to see TR behind the bushes, and Jessie's flat "Greetings" gave me a good laugh lol
- If this weren't Pokémon, that ending with Go getting close to Aerodactyl could've ended really badly.
- so cute!!

Pretty decent episode overall! I liked how expressive Aerodactyl was at times. Was hoping to see Chloe do a bit more though, which is easily my main downside. The next episode is the one I'm really looking forward to from the preview though.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom