• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN122: The Semifinals I: "Overwhelming Victory"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this battle will have signs on whether or not Ash beats Leon.

If it's another cake walk for Leon, then I can't see a logical way for an Ash victory. If D can get him to his last Pokemon, maybe even Gmax Charizard, then I feel like the scales are somewhat more even during the final match.

I think this battle will have signs on whether or not Ash beats Leon.

If it's another cake walk for Leon, then I can't see a logical way for an Ash victory. If D can get him to his last Pokemon, maybe even Gmax Charizard, then I feel like the scales are somewhat more even during the final match.
I'm thinking of this too: this battle will be important narratively because it's really gonna cement whatever result Ash x Leon will have, and whether or not the outcome will be some bs accordingly.

But the title does leaves me worried, however. I know we shouldn't trust titles blindly, but "Overwhelming Victory", on an ep where Leon is gonna battle and we know he's gonna win... Yeah.

Well, "overwhelming" could mean many things. Having your entire team wiped out by a G-max Charizard after you've already taken out all of Leon's other Pokemon probably qualifies as overwhelming.
Except.......I (and quite a few other people,) theorize that Leon will be Mega Evolving his Charizard here instead, based on recent merch of Mega Charizard Y merch popping up.

We have no way of knowing that this isn't a two parter.

This is very pleasing news to me. I was fully expecting another 3v3 or, at a stretch, a 4vs4 so to know we're going to see everyone's full team battled is actually making me stoked.
The episode after this one is Ash vs Cynthia, so chances are this is a one parter.

It wasn't. It was just an assumption. Now we know better.
I thought JN123 was confirmed to by Cynthia vs. Ash by that twitter post? (Although I kind of doubt it because it would be almost impossible to make Leon vs. Diantha a 6v6 match crammed into one single episode)
But admittedly, I have lost track of what is true and what is not due to all the contradicting news right now.

I'm not too surprised by this confusion. Remember when we were led to believe that Ash was getting Sobble? Fun times! /s
I mean, it seems that this confusion now (at least from what I can gather) is both people misreading everything and the actual sources not being anywhere clear enough.

The Sobble thing, however, was premeditated and arguably done in bad faith with the intentions of misleading us and pulling the rug on us on the last second.

Do we actually know that though? I feel like Ash vs Cynthia would have a more "hype" episode name, that and Dazzle could kinda fit Gardevoir

I thought JN123 was confirmed to by Cynthia vs. Ash by that twitter post? (Although I kind of doubt it because it would be almost impossible to make Leon vs. Diantha a 6v6 match crammed into one single episode)
But admittedly, I have lost track of what is true and what is not due to all the contradicting news right now.
I mean it is titled overwhelming victory. So I guess they gonna make him body diantha

Would not mind 1 episode for them and 2 for Ash vs Cynthia...

Have to say that the title makes a bit more sense with it being 6v6.
If it was 3v3, I wouldn’t have said that a 3-1 score line was a thrashing, and anyone in this competition should be able to at least knock one out, otherwise it diminishes their right to be here.

If it finished 6-2 or 6-3, that’s a thrashing, but at least doesn’t completely disrespect a Champion’s capabilities. But, yes, it’s still a terrible idea to make Leon seem this overpowered.

Have to say that the title makes a bit more sense with it being 6v6.
If it was 3v3, I wouldn’t have said that a 3-1 score line was a thrashing, and anyone in this competition should be able to at least knock one out, otherwise it diminishes their right to be here.

If it finished 6-2 or 6-3, that’s a thrashing, but at least doesn’t completely disrespect a Champion’s capabilities. But, yes, it’s still a terrible idea to make Leon seem this overpowered.
Not to mention that it's gotten pretty old. Pretty much every single time Leon appears they bash us over the head with how ultra powerful and unbeatable lest we might somehow forget that he's ultra powerful and unbeatable. Furthermore, this is an event where all the strongest trainers in the world are participating, so Leon making all of them bar Ash look like wimps just really damages that perception.

Another thing that doesn't help Leon's case is that we haven't seen much evidence that he has any skills as a trainer other than his Charizard being the most busted thing in the planet (and I guess having the right coverage moves for any situation, but imo that's not really noteworthy, since it's been shown multiple times in the past that having the right coverage is far from a guaranteed win, so it would make no sense for that to be the sole reason Leon wins always), and I think it's a huge missed opportunity: what if Leon turned out to have similar on-the-fly improv skills like Ash? That would make for a much more fun, interesting, and tense final confrontation because Ash wouldn't have his usual edge anymore, making his victory come off as sweeter if he does win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom