• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Kanto Starters

Which Kanto starter will you choose from Sycamore?

• Total voters

Ishida

Reaction score
If we can get them in this game at what point do you think we will be able to? I think it would be relatively early because if you don't like your Kalos starter you can simply change and pick up a Kanto starter instead I think that would be a pretty good idea. I just hope I can get Bulbasaur early so I can use it along with Froakie.

Re: Kanto Starters?

I think it'd be at the end like in the Hoenn games or the Johto games after you beat the game. I think they'd rather advertise the new Kalos starters than just have you toss it if you don't like it for a Kanto starter so early in the game.

But I think the rumor suggests that it is early.

I think they'd rather advertise the new Kalos starters than just have you toss it if you don't like it for a Kanto starter so early in the game.
I don't see why Game Freak would need to advertise anything in their own games. They shouldn't care too much about which starters we use.

If they really are giving out Kanto starters for some reason, I'd assume it would be after you beat the game. In response to the first post, I definitely don't see them giving out other starters in case you don't like the ones from that region. They've never done that in previous games, so I don't see why they'd just randomly do it here.

Not that there's a set pattern or anything, but still.

Last edited:

They've never done that in previous games

Do I have to make a list of all the things Gamefreak hadn't done in previous games until they had?

Anyway, I don't think you'd get alternate starters early enough for them to feasibly be replacements for your actual starter, but I can see them being given out, say, somewhere around the sixth gym, maybe fifth. Not postgame, but not too early either.

They've never done that in previous games
Do I have to make a list of all the things Gamefreak hadn't done in previous games until they had?

I clearly said in my first post that there is no pattern with these things. I was simply stating as to how I though that specific reasoning didn't make much sense to me.

Eh, judging by the amount of awesome new Pokémon already revealed, there will be no space left in my team for a second starter. Also, if I don't like any of the Kalos starters, I would like to have one of the Sinnoh starters instead, not one from Kanto. :l

I think that they would be included in the post-storyline content of the game. I can't really see them including the Kanto starters early in the game when they'd want to focus more on the new starters and new Pokemon. While I like the Kanto starters, there most likely wouldn't be any room on my teams to have them, but I could probably save them for another game instead.

There's probably going to be some way to get the Kanto starters in the post-game. Like, Gary is on vacation/running an errand for Oak in Kalos and he gives you one of the starters if you acheived certain stuff, like completing the Kalos dex or something.

Steven gave the Hoenn starters in HGSS after you beat Red. Could be similar to that

An idea just hit me: If you do indeed get one early (relatively speaking) in your adventure, perhaps it is the one your Kalos starter has a type advantage over (and, thus, has a type advantage over your main rival's starter). Meaning that if you pick Froakie, you get a Charmander to back it up.

I think this will most likely be the case, like they did with Panpour/Pansage/Pansear in B/W.

Yup, that's the idea. They wouldn't just let you pick an original Kanto starter because that kinda ruins the point of getting to know your new Kalos starter. Why bother picking Fennekin or Froakie (or Chespin) if you know you can just fall back onto a Charmander or Squirtle or Bulbasaur not far in?

Personally, I believe that we should somehow be able to get ALL of the starters (every regions), whether it's through in game events (ala Pokemon Yellow), post game, or events.

There's probably going to be some way to get the Kanto starters in the post-game. Like, Gary is on vacation/running an errand for Oak in Kalos and he gives you one of the starters if you acheived certain stuff, like completing the Kalos dex or something.

Steven gave the Hoenn starters in HGSS after you beat Red. Could be similar to that
The rumor says that Professor Sycamore (presumably Professor Platane's English name) will give the starters not too late into the story. If you believe the rumor at all, you should believe that part, as well.

The Kanto starters are overrated. I would be seriously disappointed if they are obtainable early in the game, but the likelihood of it happening are high, one good thing about it though, it's going to be easy to tell who the scrubs are during PSS battles ;P

The rumor says that Professor Sycamore (presumably Professor Platane's English name) will give the starters not too late into the story. If you believe the rumor at all, you should believe that part, as well.

Based on the rumors that have been confirmed from the Pokebeach batch, IMO it would be absurd to not believe the whole bit, including this. I agree that it sounds likely we will get them early in the game. And really this is not unprecedented, besides the fact that they are the Kanto starters. We got the elemental monkeys early in b/w to help counter our starter's weakness. I see this functioning very much like that. And who can really argue that Kanto starters are not much much cooler to get than elemental monkeys???

I personally love the idea of playing an all new adventure in an all new region with all new pokemon, all the while being able to have that feeling of nostalgia by having a Kanto starter. If it pans out, and all signs point to it being true, it's one of the coolest things gamefreak has ever done.

I'm amazed to see Pokebeach's insider rumours being confirmed one after the other, and given that it has continued in the same vein for this month, I don't think it would be at all far-fetched for this rumour to be proven true as well. It would have seemed weird for such a gift to be implemented in previous games, but I wonder whether the Kanto starters will be given to the player early in the game (like the elemental monkeys in BW) as a selling point for older fans who weren't previously committed to buying X and Y.

If/when this rumour turns out to be true, i'll definitely be rekindling my partnership with one of the three original starters - in 3D!

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom