• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Last Names

Misty Waterflower
Drew Hayden
May Maple

Yes, I know, I'm going with fan-ish names. But, come on, there was a part in the anime when Misty and her sisters were referred to as the "Waterflowers of Cerulean City" Anyway, if I get to think of last names for the other characters, I'll be back and editing this post.

I would just as much assume Giovanni is his surname considering his trainer title.

In my writings, I usually use their Japanese names as a surname (Cynthia Shirona, Cyrus Akagi, Tobias Takuto, Brandon Jindai, etc.).

But Brock Harrison and Misty Waterflower work really well.

I assumed that may be the case for Lance and Clair since Blackthorn City was founded by the Dragon Users Clan, and they are the grandchildren of the leader of the clan.

Of course, also assuming the city was named after that leader, and assuming that the leaders were chosen from the same family and always kept the surname over generations. General convention is that the female take the male's name in a marriage, but hey, if you're marrying a female that's also the leader of the clan, I'd think you'd want to keep the better known name, though that's a less sexist view in which I ignore the fact that most people pass on these roles to males anyway.

Even if Blackthorn isn't legally their last name, it's entirely possible that's what they go by since they both identify as members of the extended clan. I'd imagine that decades of intermarriage would make it so that at least some members of the Blackthorn clan don't have Blackthorn as a last name.

Here are names I use in my story:

Professor Samuel Oak (wait what)
Professor Eric Elm (added alliterative appeal)
Professor Albert Birch (I thought it suits him...)
-May Birch, Brendan Birch. (these two are brother and sister in my story. ._.)
Professor Charles Rowan (he looks like a Charles, right? Right??)
Professor Orchid Juniper (why is Oak glaring at me from Japan?)

Giovanni Sakaki (Giovanni is his alias. He has a full Japanese last and first name)
Cyrus Akagi (same as above. Cyrus's grandfather would be known as "Mr. Akagi".)

Other than those guys, I don't really think of last names for all the PCs, Rivals, etc. D: I wonder if I should...

Okay I got:

Giovanni Terremoto (I know it's not a real name, but it fits him)
Lance Blackthorn
Clair Blackthorn
Mortimer "Morty" Allan
Eusine Enucius...okay, I'm kidding
Chuck Norris - except not really
"Proton" - Nothing on this guy, except that's obviously not his real name
"Petrel" - same as Proton
Kyou "Koga" Shino
Janine Shino
Gary "Blue" Oak - I usually don't like incorporating anime stuff, but Gary is a pretty cool name

Brock Harrison sounds good. Some of the last names that stick out the most in my headcanon are (in no particular order):
Lorelei Winters (both Germanic in origin)
Sidney Schwartz (Schwartz means black)
Michael Rowan (I have a Michael as a teacher that I swear looks just like him)
Jasmine Steele
Bruno Armstrong
Nikola Wattson (shoutout to Tesla)

@jjl2357 I love all of them haha, very good ideas!

Kinomiya Erika...
or Morinomiya Erika. Temple/Shrine/Palace of Tree/Forest. "-miya" ending falls in line with the more traditional Imperial family name. She's the elegant type after all.

Kanetomo Natsume... (Sabrina)
"Gold knowledge," fits her home city and Pokemon Type.

Ishimoto Takeshi (Brock)
"Rock origin." Need I explain more :p

Togioka Katsura (Blaine)
"Research+Hill (or height,)" I can't get rid of that image of him being the creator of Mewtwo from Pokemon Special.

And the the obvious one,
Matis Surge. Haha.

Roark Collier
Gardenia Smith
Fantina Jondrette
Maylene Bernier
Crasher Wake (obviously, though it may not be his real name)
Byron Collier
Candice Frost
Volkner Eichner

Cilan Frey
Chili Frey
Cress Frey
Lenora Jackson
Alice Roxie
Anthony Burgh
Elesa Sato
Clayton "Clay" Morris
Skyla Hyer
Brycen Tolliver
Drayden Johnson
Marlon Hargrave

I have an idea in which Elesa's name is a stage name of sorts and her real name Camelia Tesla.

No one suggested the following name below :

Giovanni Panzani

I'm blasting off before anyone hit me with a Focus Punch OTL

I prefer giving the characters diverse surnames in my fanfics, since only English and Japanese gets kind of boring. I like to give them in reference to the type.

Some examples I gave with meanings:

Morty - Lenoir ("the black" in French - black as in darkness, which ghosts are found in)*
Jasmine - Eisen ("iron" in German)
Falkner - Vogel ("bird" in German)
Volkner - Licht ("light" in German)
Roark/Byron - Clock (sounds similar to cloch, which means "rock" in Irish Gaelic)
Barry/Palmer - Pearl (his manga counterpart's name)
Argenta - Matrone ("matron" in Italian)
Juan - Arroyo ("brook" in Spanish - a brook is a stream of water)
Wallace - Ryba ("fish" in Polish)
Cheryl - Greenberg ("green mountain" in German - it's Grunberg in German, but Greenberg is the common spelling in English-speaking countries)
Mira - Rose ("pink" in French)
Karen - Zwart ("black" in Dutch)
Cilan/Chili/Cress - Terzo ("three" in Italian)
Skyla - Adler ("eagle" in German)
Gardenia - Nurmi ("meadow" in Finnish)
Tate/Liza - Feng (one of them is named Feng in the Chinese translation)

*I also used this surname for Ariana. Black being associated with evil helps too. (One of my fanfics reveals that she and Morty are distant cousins. Why I put this as headcanon is beyond me.)

Some others I chose don't have meaning, like Boros (which means wine in Hungarian) for Grimsley, Krellner for Lorelei (I borrowed that from a one-shot character on The Simpsons), and Grimaldi for Sabrina and Will (after the Grimaldis of Monaco - Will even lampshades it in one of my fanfics by saying that he claimed to be related to them as part of his performances, even though he knows that he's not).

I was going to make Argenta's last name Madonna (it's a legit Italian last name. No one uses it as a first name in Italy) after her Japanese title, but then I decided to change it to her middle name.

For the protagonists in Gen V as used in my fanfics:

Hilbert - Klump
Hilda - Weiss (the only one with actual meaning. Means white in German.)
Bianca - Nowak
Cheren - Kim (I always thought he looked very Asian. In my fanfics he's of Korean background.)
Nate - Ferrara (in earlier ones it was Todaro)
Rosa - Carrillo
Hugh - Lyon (sounds like "lion", which Hugh's hair reminds me of)

One ironic surname I used was for Giovanni and Silver. I used DeCaro for them, which means "the dear" (dear as in beloved). Because Giovanni in particular is an unpleasant person, I thought it was funny.

Last edited:
Wallace - Ryba ("fish" in Polish)
I am sorry but I laughed so much at this part. "Ryba" means fish also in my language (slovak) and somehow it seems to me like a surname which I would use for some farmer or someone like. Or maybe some hiker, deffinitely that does not go with someone like Wallace. But of course, the mayority of people in the fandom would probably not have such connotations.

On the other hand, Nurmi for Gardenia seems nice. Maybe I'd consider adding typical finnish suffix -nen to that.
(And the use of quite a variety of languages is something I can appreciate, too)

I haven't even posted this yet and the "Ryba" part is starting growing on me. Because it feels so hillarbad :-D

Red Vershon (a pun similar to "Ketchum")
Mabel Leaf Vershon (I present her as Red's twin sister; the additional first name is obviously a pun on "maple leaf")
Giovanni Sakaki (it just flows off the tongue; I've also seen "Giovanni Mortiego")
Kamon "Silver" Sakaki (from one of his more popular default names)
Caroline "Carrie" Ochre (a corrupted romanization of her Japanese name, "Okuru"; also a reference to the Ochre Woods from Hey You, Pikachu!)
Calvin "Cal" Higgins (a corruption of his Japanese name, "Hikaru")
Brian Liam "Dude" Bast ("B. Liam Bast" being a corruption of "bellimbusto", an Italian word loosely translated as "dude")
May Robinson (first two syllables sound like "ruby")
Barry Palmer (just makes more sense as a last name)

That's all I got for now.

Brock = 高石タケシ Takeshi Takaishi
(They sound similar, and the kanji for Takaishi mean "high" and "stone")

...that's all for puns.

Gonna just bump this thread up with a long list of horribly put together names:

Kanto:
- Red Acer (Acer = Maple, Maple and Oak get it?)
-- Leaf "Blue/Green" Acer
- Brock Pebbles
- Misty Waters (Her parents thought it was funny...)
- Lt. Mathis Surge
- Erika Sakamoto
- Koga & Janine Minamoto
- Sabrina La Fey
- Blane Pyro
- Giovanni & Silver Sakaki (Let's just pretend ol' Gio is of Italian/Japanese decent shall we?)

Johto:
- Ethan "Gold" Hart
-- Kristal "Kris" Silver
--- Lyra Sole
- Hayato Falkner
- Bugsy Weber
- Whitney Williams
- Morty Specter
- Chuck Hartwig
- Jasmine Schmidt
- Pryce Olsson
- Clair Blackthorn
-- Lance Blackthorn

Hoenn
- Roxanne Slate
- Brawly Rockman
- Walter Wattson
- Flannery Morgan
- Norman Harrison
-- May/Brendan Harrison
- Winona Nagi
- Tate & Liza Lee
- Wallace Van Der Mer
- Juan Fredo
- Wally & Wanda Henry

Sinnoh:
- Lucas Dymond
-- Dawn Pearle
--- Victor & Barry Palmer
- Roark & Bryon Gruber
- Gardenia Silvana
- Antonio "Crasher Wake" Wakeman
- Maylene Plummer
- Melissa "Fantina" Lambert
- Candice Snow
- Denny Volkner (Denny = a corruption of Denzi)

Unova:
- Hilbert Black
-- Hilda Whitlea
--- Nate Schwartz
---- Rosa Blanco
----- Hugh Matisse
- Cilan, Chili, & Cress Cook (Their parents were hippies?)
- Lenora Hawes (Her maiden name was Lenora Aloe)
-- Gill Hawes
- Arty Burgh
- Camila "Elesa" Edison (or Tesla)
- Clay Douglas
- Skyla Striker
- Brycen Zhu
- Drayden Alexander
- Iris Drake
- Cheren Watanabe
- Roxie Popper (Pop rocks pun that isn't the horrible nickname her dad ended up with!)
- Marlon Benson
- Bianca Weiss

Kalos (+ Rivals):
- Calem Xavier
-- Serena Yves
- Viola & Alexa Pensée (It works two ways "Thought" and keeping Alexa's original name and the flower pun. Who cares if it's not a real last name.)
- Trevor Jameson (Until proven otherwise, I'm going to say he's a transfer student from the Pokemon!England or something.)
- Tierno Sanchez (Yeah I don't know, it just works?)
- Shauna Crespi (Her design shouts "stereotypical anime Italian girl" to me)

Misty Marry(shipping)
Giovanni Plasvil(evil+plasma)
Lance Drago(Dragon-n)
Lorelei Tukahana(It works,ok?)

Drew drawin(ok, this was not creative but whatever)
May Junoaklana(Long,but.....0

Please note: The thread is from 6 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom