• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Localized Names

Re: English names

I like the names of Snivy and Oshawott but Tepig will take time to get used to.

I'm still shocked that they changed Isshu to Unova, it seems so odd. What really got me though was the changing of Reshiram and Zekrom's classifications. Yin and Yang aren't bad, why change them?

I found these names on Bulbapedia, so they may not be official:

Tsutarja: Snivy

Pokabu: Tepig

Mijumaru: Oshawott

They're on Pokemon.com, so they're official.

I like all of the names. Nothing cringe-inducing thankfully.

EDIT:

Wait, WTF? Unova? Ugh. Isshu sounded better. It'll grow on me in time, I suppose.

I found these names on Bulbapedia, so they may not be official:

Tsutarja: Snivy

Pokabu: Tepig

Mijumaru: Oshawott

You do relize that bulbapedia is an extention of Bulbagarden?

I like the names of Snivy and Oshawott but Tepig will take time to get used to.

I'm still shocked that they changed Isshu to Unova, it seems so odd. What really got me though was the changing of Reshiram and Zekrom's classifications. Yin and Yang aren't bad, why change them?

"DeepWhite" and "DeepBlack" Make me think of unfortunate implications...

WHY MAKE IT WORSE?!

I'm assuming, like Chimchar, Monferno and Infernape which raise in 'importance', I guess, Tepig's evolutionary line will get hotter and hotter. For example, Tepig, Hotoink, Shorchboar or something like that. lol.

*rant* Snivy. Oshawott, and Tepig? Most importantly, why rename Isshu?! Unova? WTF! *rant*

No, only the first evo's.

I just don't understand calling the fire one "Tepig". Tepid? Really? What? I thought names were supposed to make the Pokemon sound cool... not lukewarm.

well, my new guesses were just for the evos

I like Snivy and Oshawott! Tepig is kinda meh. :p
Also, UNOVA REGION?!
Mind = Blown!

As a heart attack. And Isshu is called Unova.

Thanks for telling us more
slowpoke_news.gif

i like all the names, snivy sounds cool, tepig is alright, oshawott reminds me of piplup because it makes the least bit of sense to me, yet is cool. i wonder why pokemon.com hasnt updated for me yet. it's making me sad

Last edited:

I like Unova, it's a cool sounding name for a cool region, I'm going to be so surprised for the English version, playing the Japanese version has me in a different mindset. I'm really excited to see what other English names will be :D.

Snivy is... fitting, but it also doesn't seem to fit. The sound doesn't quite fit the image.
Well, they techinically are the same thing/have the same connotation. In Tsutaaja, "蔦" (tsuta) is ivy and 蛇 (ja) snake. Probably on the 'pedia.

off-topic:What are the German names again?

I thought those pictures on the official site looked familiar. They're the same as the pre-release pictures from back in May that Serebii has archived:

Snivy vs. Oshawott

snivy-1.jpg

starterbattle2.png

Tepig vs. Snivy

tepig-1.jpg

starterbattle4.png

Re-use pictures much?

You know, this is the second time in a row that the grass type's name has been correctly guessed at beforehand. Someone got Turtwig last time, and a few folks stuck with Snivy. Are they just easier to guess, since the fire and (especially) the water types have more randomized names?

I had to repeat the names in my head a little while but I think they're actually fine. And what's with the ruckus on the region name? Sure it's the first time it's not a romanization of the original name, but... Uh... So?

Back
Top Bottom