• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Looks like Brock returns for D/P

Time to get back on track.

Here's the question no dount burning in everyone's mind. How many girls will Brock flirt with?

About 40-60, I'd imagine. Of even more interest, what does Brock put in the soup?

Yes, why spend time developing a new cast when we could give these tired old guys some NEW CLOTHES!

Still, I think that the real message of D/P is that female leads are expendable. "I am Ash's single-serving girlfriend."

Pokemon is sexist, guys!

[/delurk]

No, I think the message is that the writers like introducing new jailbait to keep the fanboys amused, while Brock is hot enough that he needs no replacement.

I dunno. I try not to look too deeply into the thought processes made in picking the cast, because I think we fans lose much more sleep about who's going and who's staying than the writers soo.

Just because the female leads are expendable doesn't mean their sole purpose is to be Ash's girlfriend... though it is a shame that they keep leaving. Still, it's not like the males get much better treatment. The only one of Ash's companions who seems to be a permanent fixture is Brock; Tracey and Max are just as replacable as Misty and May, and got far less of a role while they were here. Heck, Misty's had more of a role than Brock in every region of the show, including Hoenn. The Battle Frontier is the sole exception thus far. I wouldn't be surprised if May came back in specials and overshadowed Brock for DP, too.

Brock has some Grade A Shuckle Juice in that soup.

Nah, then his Pokemon would be humping him... probably a big turnoff for the ladies.

And how is Pokemon sexist? There's been more positive female roles on that show... I mean, come on, Misty (gym leader who does the job when her sisters neglect it, even though she'd rather be adventuring, simply because of her loyalty to Cerulean City), Professor Ivy (yeah, kinda busty/fanservice, but she's a SCIENTIST, for Christ's sake), Domino (high-ranking assassin who can defend herself against a Scyther with only a bo staff)... The only stereotype I can think of is May (not intended to be bashing... she's just rather... girlish...)

When it comes down to it, Pokemon's downright FEMINIST.

You're kidding yourself if you think May is the only stereotype. Misty is based on the stereotype of the angry red-head, (which is all too common in anime), as well as being the "runt" in a family of beautiful sisters.

I'm not sure what stereotype Hikari will fall under, but she seems to be into fashion by the previews anyway. She's probably going to have a lot in common with May because she does Contests too.

She's still very positive, compared to the stuff you get from America being shoved down children's throats anymore...

Bratz. Enough said.

Eh, all the characters in Pokemon give positive views to the audience aside from maybe the villains.

Hey, Team Rocket has their positive messages. Like, "Never give up, no matter how many times you've failed." Or, "There's nothing wrong with crossdressing - sometimes men want to feel pretty, too, and that's okay."

Pokemon's VERY feminist, IMO, for a shounen show with a male lead. Let's see, we've got Jessie, the unofficial leader of the Team Rocket trio, compared to James, who's pretty well at the bottom of the pecking order. Then there's Misty, who's frequently demonstrated as being tougher and more intelligent than the boys she travels with, and Brock, who's a kind of mother for all, doing chores for his little brothers and sisters at the start of the series and then doing all the cooking, washing, etc., for Ash and the other people travelling with them. If Brock were a girl, I bet there'd be a lot of indignant commentary on the sexism of portraying a female character in such a stereotypical 'housewife'-y way. The Jessie/James and Misty/Brock pairs go some ways to breaking out of conventional gender roles, IMO.

May, admittedly, is very girly, but that doesn't mean she's anti-feminist. The fact that a female character was given a quest at all in a show that was formerly driven entirely by its male lead is impressive. It helps that her two main rivals, both of whom she beat before leaving the show, are male, whereas the 'godlike' co-ordinator nobody can beat is Saori - female. (Robert could be used as a counter-example, but he's more Drew's rival than May's.) May also tied with Ash in her final episode on the show, and leaves on an independant note, striking out on her own, pursuing her goal. Hikari, by the looks of it, will be of the same mold.

Then there's Daisy, Casey, Cassidy, Nurse Joy, Officer Jenny... really, I'm not seeing the sexism. Girls are generally portrayed as every bit as competent and strong as boys. Ash has faced a woman for his final gym badge in three regions (Jessie, Luana, Claire) and a man only once (Juan). Sabrina was probably his toughest opponent in Kanto, while Anabel was the only Brain besides the leader who Ash had to battle twice. He's also fought the likes of Jeanette Fisher, Macey and Katie in League matches, all of whom were exceptionally tough. May, too, has had a female opponent for her last ribbon in both Hoenn (Erika) and Kanto (Jessie). Granted, Ash and May tend to face more men than women in Leagues/Grand Festivals, but the women they do face are always talented trainers.

Hell, Pokemon is probably the most positive and well-natured show on television now adays.

All these other shows give us bad messages like "Destroying people's minds with magic is alright" and "SCREW THE RULES! I HAVE MONEY!"

Honestly.

If you ignore the whole "get your pets to battle each other until one is knocked unconscious" thing anyway. :p

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom