• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Media blackout zones?

Will you seek out or avoid spoilers?

• Total voters

Stratelier

Reaction score
...because "you're only unspoiled once" and "what has been seen, cannot be unseen" ....

Granted we ARE talking remakes of RS, but with all the information that's coming out (especially at E3) where do you draw the line? Are there any specific things about the new Ruby/Sapphire that you want to keep a media blackout around -- i.e. leave it as a surprise for playing the game firsthand?

Me, I'd like to go on a total RS media blackout if possible -- I'll probably check the official site a few times, any Nintendo Directs, and tune in to some of the E3 chatter -- but beyond that I'll probably shy away from most of the RS conversations. I tried to do this with previous titles, but none of them were 100% successful. For X and Y I did manage to avoid being fully spoiled to the Kalos starter evos -- despite them being officially previewed. (I was also completely unspoiled as to the existence of my new favorite Fighting-type, Hawlucha.) For BW2, I was spoiled to the Nintendo Power magazine article, but not much else. For BW1, I was spoiled to the identities of several G5 Pokemon (including starter evos) via Bulbapedia, but not much else.

Last edited:
Re: Spoiler Free Zones?

I somehow did this for X/Y and was only spoiled about Sylveon, Gen I starters, and the Mega Mewtwos/Charizards. I'm not sure if I'll try to cut myself off from spoilers this time though. But since it's out in just about 6 months, I guess it's pretty doable with some self-restraint

Spoilers for OR/AS

With every new installment to the fanchise there are fans who either try to avoid spoilers or seek it out like a heat seeking missle. My question to you is, will you look for spoilers or try to avoid them in the months leading up to the games release.

Re: Spoilers for OR/AS

Some people judge me hard for it, but I prefer to read spoilers than avoid them. Before I buy a game, I need to know most/all about it, and Pokémon is no different. I done it with X and Y, and I will do it again with these games.

This time I think I'll avoid spoilers like the plague. This is mostly because I ruined X/Y for myself, and I found myself regretting the spoilers. So, no spoilers for me, even though that'll be difficult...

Avoiding spoilers for a game that is over 10 years old is nigh impossible. No real point to it.

Avoiding spoilers for a game that is over 10 years old is nigh impossible. No real point to it.

The spoilers for this game would be new evolutions, new mega evos, new mechanics being introduced, old ones coming back, etc. There will be new things in these games.

I'll be reading all the information before the release. After the release, I'm going to try avoid spoilers until I defeat the champion or something.
Also, if the region layout is similar to the old map, I doubt I'd need spoilers to get around anyways.

I'm sure I'll rush to any scrap of news that's leaked/released like with X&Y. I don't have the willpower not to haha!

Not this time, unless there's some major new storyline addition. I got away with it for Diamond/Pearl, Black/White, Black/White 2 and X/Y, but with remakes I'd like to know what I'm getting into.

I don't mind spoilers, in fact, spoilers usually only make me want to play something even more. Plus, those are (likely) remakes and I've experienced most of the stuff in the original games countless times in the past 11 years. Unless they decide to change 100% of Ruby and Sapphire in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, there is little to worry about. That said, if we are counting new character designs, artworks and stuff like that as spoilers, then I respect people who want to avoid them. I would love to the same, but sadly I don't have the willpower for that.

As long as I'm not spoiled to the most important plot of the whole game (the climax/Team finale), I'm pretty fine with a lot of other things.

In XY, I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to buy the game at that time so I spoiled myself on what happens with Team Flare before getting the game so that was it. But when I got B2W2, I was utterly disappointed when I looked into a thread and someone spoiled the whole plot about N saving you from Ghetsis. I wish that had been a surprise because that was supposed to be really dramatic.

So this time, I'm going to stay away from any Team spoilers. As for gyms or routes, maybe that would be fine.

I live for leaks. The wait for leaks and info about the games are almost as exciting as actually playing them, to me. I really enjoyed the 10 months of hype for X/Y last year.

A shame X/Y didn't live up for the expectations, but that is a subject for another thread.

I will search for every kind information I can find. I will read all rumours, whether likely or not. I will know everything I can.

Given that these are remakes I won't mind finding out things about the game ahead of time, unlike XY (Where I only kept up with the new pokémon). The worst part of the run up to release is the flooding speculation and arguing over speculation, so I'll just keep an eye on what turns up on Bulbanews

I won't necessarily seek out spoilers actively, but I'm not avoiding them.

It's impossible to avoid spoilers what with things like Facebook and twitter.

I swore to avoid all spoilers before both B2W2 and XY but this failed miserably.

Before B2W2, wanted to check out Iris team in anime or game can't remember, went to a page on Iris, oh she's wearing weird clothes, oops she's the new champion, SPOILED.

I'll read them. It'll be hard to spoil a game that's 11 years old for me, and I don't really consider mega evolutions 'spoilers' as such, only story/plots.

After the fiasco with the X/Y leaks and people getting early copies, I think will Nintendo will be extremely vigilant on that front.

I look forward to leaks of information that is inevitably going to be revealed prior to release, basically because that's what GF/TPCi want you to see and get you hyped for the game - I don't count those as spoilers. I did avoid all the leaks from that Canadian guy from XY (well, as much as I could) and I was glad I did that.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom