• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Megaverse's effect on the Orre games?

While it wasn't addressing the Colosseum games in particular, they said that they couldn't afford to make any Wii U games.

Yes, to this day, we are still interested in working with the Wii U and our budding ideas have been growing. However, the cost of developing a game for the Wii U is much higher than the cost of developing a game for the 3DS. This is a problem for us and is thus preventing us from developing a game for the Wii U.
- Manabu Yamana President of Genius Sonority

So unless they get enough money, it doesn't sound like they'll be able to make them for a while.

While it wasn't addressing the Colosseum games in particular, they said that they couldn't afford to make any Wii U games.

Yes, to this day, we are still interested in working with the Wii U and our budding ideas have been growing. However, the cost of developing a game for the Wii U is much higher than the cost of developing a game for the 3DS. This is a problem for us and is thus preventing us from developing a game for the Wii U.
- Manabu Yamana President of Genius Sonority

So unless they get enough money, it doesn't sound like they'll be able to make them for a while.

Development costs, that makes sense. HD graphics are pretty expensive, to the point where some developers have bankrupted themselves trying to make HD games. Well at least Genius Sonority isn't that stupid.

Stop. The Decolore Islands are anime only, they're not canon.

Sorry, that was really long. Why does Genius Sonority (who I'm assuming are the developers) not want to bring back the series?

Now that is an interesting question. They went from Colosseum/XD to Battle Revolution to DS/3DS apps and spinoffs (they made Pokemon Typing and Battle Trozei). We know that Game Freak is not too fond of console games, and they don't make Stadium games anymore because XY renders them obsolete, but I don't think they've ever said anything about why the Colosseum/XD series got another game. My best guess would probably be sales, Colosseum only sold 1.5 million and IDK what XD's sales were but it probably wasn't that much better.

No, no, no, no, no. The anime CHARACTERS aren't canon. I have to believe that Game Freak gives the anime team a rough outline of where each region is in relation to the others, I really do doubt they'd mess with the geography that horribly. Just because Decolore is anime exclusive doesn't mean AT ALL that Unova is not West of Kanto.

The De Color Islands could just be really long rather than 'short' with loads of sea between them.

Unova of the games is far away from Kanto. Skyla's statement to Professor Juniper Sr make that clear. Orre could be the Australia of the Pokemon World. It could be its own continent with the majority of the land being uninhabited. I think its separate from Unova and is sort of a bridge between Unova and Poke Japan. Its position has to be east of Unova and West of Johto. Now the reason why the technology is so much more advanced is because the games occur in the future after XY. Also, sad to see that Genius Sonority can't make another one. Don't know why Nintendo doesn't give them the budget to make one. They know how much people want an HD Pokemon game on the Wii U.

Perhaps I'm incorrect in this but I interpreted the delta episode as meaning there are 2 universes, one with AZ, mega evolution, etc and one without. Not necessarily meaning that there are millions of different universes.

Perhaps I'm incorrect in this but I interpreted the delta episode as meaning there are 2 universes, one with AZ, mega evolution, etc and one without. Not necessarily meaning that there are millions of different universes.
It's not directly stated that there is more than two, but it is heavily implied.

Its like Zelda now but that being said the concept of a multiverse is interesting has valid points buts it always my belief the remakes overwrite the original games

Makes you wonder if they do something with Shadow and Mega Evolution how are they going to approach it? Will they refer back to Colosseum and XD? Will Cipher return? If so under who's leaderships?(Ardos seems like a high possibility) Will it be old crime infested Orre, or the developing XD Orre? Lovrina or Ein? What of Wes's and Michael's legacy?

I really don't think Cipher could exist in its current form in a world where Mega Evolution exists. They were looking to make the ultimate Pokemon by shutting their heart's doors--Mega Evolution needs the bond between humans and Pokemon. They're essentially making it impossible for Pokemon to Mega Evolve. Perhaps if they found an alternate form of evolution they believed to be more powerful than Mega Evolution, I see no reason why Cipher would have existed.
I only think that the theory that "shadowing" might lead to greater power becomes less intuitive in a MEvo world--it doesn't become de facto inconceivable. I think that Cipher in a very like form could very well exist in a world that has Primal Reversion, as well. "Primal" and "Reversion" both suggest a "reversion" to some "primal" state--and Primal Reversion indeed does not require any especial bond between a pokemon and its trainer.

It's sort of like the moves Frustration and Return--the same power can be achieved at opposite ends. It's almost very much like negative absolute temperature (which is based off of a certain definition of "colder" and "absolute zero" admittedly), where such temperature in many ways behaves like incredibly hot temperature.

~

Per the thread at large, the sad truth is that these games are games. The company that releases them approaches them as products to release, with their ingredients chosen for marketability (as is the case for entertainment products--such can be the case in the product of food products as well, as when a new and limited-time sandwich from Subway being marketed features avocado). It's the consumers of a certain grade who mull over the ingredients for their effects, synchronicity, et cetera et cetera.

Sorry, that was really long. Why does Genius Sonority (who I'm assuming are the developers) not want to bring back the series?

Now that is an interesting question. They went from Colosseum/XD to Battle Revolution to DS/3DS apps and spinoffs (they made Pokemon Typing and Battle Trozei). We know that Game Freak is not too fond of console games, and they don't make Stadium games anymore because XY renders them obsolete, but I don't think they've ever said anything about why the Colosseum/XD series got another game. My best guess would probably be sales, Colosseum only sold 1.5 million and IDK what XD's sales were but it probably wasn't that much better.

No, no, no, no, no. The anime CHARACTERS aren't canon. I have to believe that Game Freak gives the anime team a rough outline of where each region is in relation to the others, I really do doubt they'd mess with the geography that horribly. Just because Decolore is anime exclusive doesn't mean AT ALL that Unova is not West of Kanto.

Assuming the Decolores Islands are indeed canon, wouldn't it make more sense for them to be approximately in the same location as the Caribbean? After all, Ash and co. would have to sail through the Caribbean to get the the equivalent of the Panama Canal in the Pokemon world in order to return home. That's what a voyage from Japan to New York would probably entail.

Assuming the Decolores Islands are indeed canon, wouldn't it make more sense for them to be approximately in the same location as the Caribbean? After all, Ash and co. would have to sail through the Caribbean to get the the equivalent of the Panama Canal in the Pokemon world in order to return home. That's what a voyage from Japan to New York would probably entail.

But we're assuming that Unova and Kalos are in the places of their respective real life inspirations. That could be extremely incorrect. I mean, Orre is based off of Arizona, but evidence suggests it's adjacent to Sinnoh and Almia in Poké-Hokkaido rather than Unova in Poké-America. For all we know, Poké-France could be in South Africa, or Russia, or Brazil.

But we're assuming that Unova and Kalos are in the places of their respective real life inspirations. That could be extremely incorrect. I mean, Orre is based off of Arizona, but evidence suggests it's adjacent to Sinnoh and Almia in Poké-Hokkaido rather than Unova in Poké-America. For all we know, Poké-France could be in South Africa, or Russia, or Brazil.
I don't follow what evidence would suggest that, though.

By the way, does having Wes' Umbreon and Espeon (or any Orre Pokemon?) count towards the special ribbon you get for RSE Pokemon?

It's really hard to speculate about a possible relationship between Shadow Pokémon and Mega Evolution for the simple fact that the concept of Mega Evolution probably hadn't even been thought of during Generation III. It's possible that, as Shadow Pokémon are essentially the opposite of Mega Evolution, the Megaverse Cipher could have intended to explore a possible "opposite" of Mega Evolution for whatever reason, but who knows?

Also, how do you "artificially close the door" to a Pokémon's heart anyway?

She just said the meteor would be sent into a different dimension/reality/whatever, where people who hadn't made the same mistakes we had would face our consequences - and that didn't seem right.

She also said that the other universe was one that was almost identical to theirs, but in which AZ's war never happened and Mega Evolution was never discovered... which pretty much describes RSE to a T. The general response that I have seen hasn't not thought that that was the implication.
It also describes pretty much every alternate universe theory: Multiple universes separated by one solitary difference.

I'm sorry, I just think people are being a bit fanatical about "confirming" a pretty massive implication based off of one post-game statement that could just as easily match any and every generic multiverse theory.
It was heavily implied that the other world is one that has advanced without the discovery of Mega Evolution, which was triggered by AZ's creation of the Ultimate Weapon. Why would it be worth bringing that up, or the concept of a multiverse at all? Because GameFreak clearly wanted to use it as an excuse to explain why Mega Evolutions were suddenly in Ruby/Sapphire - that the games with Mega Evolution and those without take place in different alternate universes.

It doesn't seem like Game Freak has much interest in the Orre games sadly, so I doubt we'll ever see this addressed...hopefully though, since James Turner was a major player in the creation of those games iirc, if he advances through the ranks like I hope he does (for some reason I think he may be partially responsible for the more positive aspects introduced into the franchise of late), maybe he'll reconsider adding them back into the canon.
I don't think I actually saw James Turner's name in the credits for Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire, so is he even still at GameFreak?

However, with ORAS's Delta Episode, it is revealed that ORAS ansd XY are part of a separate universe from the previous games
I remember the line you're referencing, but I did not get that impression from it at all.

Like, it didn't even cross my mind until you interpreted it that way. So I think it's a little presumptuous to suggest that XY and ORAS are in a canonically separate timeline.

She just said the meteor would be sent into a different dimension/reality/whatever, where people who hadn't made the same mistakes we had would face our consequences - and that didn't seem right.

And when you have things like Gary actually visiting Kalos...how is that not the same timeline?
Because the original, non-Mega timeline would have its own version of the Kalos region.

Also, how do you "artificially close the door" to a Pokémon's heart anyway?
How does a Keystone create a bond between Pokemon and humans that turns it into energy sufficient for a temporary evolution?

It doesn't. It acts as a medium for that bond that converts said bond into the energy needed for Mega Evolution.

It doesn't. It acts as a medium for that bond that converts said bond into the energy needed for Mega Evolution.
You're just being pedantic when the point of the statement still stands--the mechanism by which Key Stones achieve their effect is unexplained, like "closing hearts" for Shadow Pokemon.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom