• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

(Mod Note: Read First Post! Updated 6/1/13) Game Freak "expanding Pokémon world"

What do you want and what do you expect?

• I expect and want Gen. VI

Votes: 61 49.2%
  • I expect and want R/S remalkes

Votes: 16 12.9%
  • I expect Gen. VI, but I'd like R/S remakes

Votes: 35 28.2%
  • I expect R/S remakes, but I want Gen. VI

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • I expect some spinoff game for Wii U or something like that

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I don't expect it will be anything important at all

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Game Freak promise to expand the Pokémon world next year

I'm thinking R/S remakes for the 3DS next year. Maybe a return trip to Kanto involved. 2014 will most likely be gen VI. If not that then the other way around to keep all of gen V on the same system.

I'm thinking R/S remakes for the 3DS next year. Maybe a return trip to Kanto involved. 2014 will most likely be gen VI. If not that then the other way around to keep all of gen V on the same system.

It'll most likely be the other way around. New games on a new machine would attract more attention than remakes and thus sell more.

I told you all it was coming in 2013. I told you all!

I'm so hyped for what the 3DS can bring to Pokémon - and the sheer variety of games on the system means that we have no real idea as to what the games will be like! I can't wait!

Personally, I believe this is about Generation IV. Early February will see a new Pokémon revealed to the world, April/May will see the announcement of the games, same old same old.

Seriously though guys, can you please calm down about whether or not RS remakes are coming. I don't want to have to start smacking people because they're getting too overexcited.

Last edited:

It certainly is an exciting time. I can still vividly remember back when Zoroark's silhouette was unveiled in Febuary 2010. I am surprised Generation V is quickly coming to an end, but that's not a complaint. I hate to sound like a hopeful munchkin, but I sure hope that Game Freak's promise will deliver! :D

Gen V has completely flown by so fast.

I'm ready for Gen VI, I want to get some use out of my 3DS already. This has to be the latest they have held back on releasing a mainline game on new handheld hardware. If Gen VI is released in September then that means they would have been released over 2 and 1/2 years after the 3DS. Wow.

As for the people who are saying R/S remakes. I am a supporter of the remakes, but I think it would make much more logical sense for them to come AFTER the main Gen VI pair. It makes more sense to start the new generation on 3DS, not a remake. Plus all signs seem to point at Gen VI coming next, even if there aren't remakes I'm sure Hoenn will somehow be brought back into the picture during Gen VI as it will be the only region incompatible on the 3DS. I have no problem with people speculating, but I just think that everything is clearly pointing to Gen VI main games first.

I also think it would be weird for GF to end Gen V now when not only a Gen V ranger game hasn't been produced, but no Gen V console game has been produced, even though it's a bit overdue, looking at the release record.

I know, its so weird for Game Freak to end the generation without third-party developers making sequels to games they've released in the past. I mean, that's probably why they took four years in Gen IV, you know, waiting for Pokemon Pinball DS to be released only to give in and finally release a new generation.

This isn't helping your case with regards to the whole "rabid defence" thing. Get over yourself, and stop trying to put people down for daring to go against your pet theory.

And yes, it is weird for GF not to go for a console game for this gen, since they've done it for every generation prior. They've even did it three times in Gen III, ad twice in Gen IV. Not making even a PBR rip-off for Gen V really would be very unusual. And as I said, they haven't even done a ranger for this gen. So no, I don't think this gen is over yet, and I would be very surprised if it is. I think everyone's just getting overhyped.

SO what do you guys think of the unrelieved merchandise possibly for new Pokemon?
What unrevealed merch?

http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f323/new-pokemon-revealed-16th-movie-144208/

Looks like we might be getting new mebers to the family soon :)

I'd like it to be a new eeveelution (Ghost, Steel or Dragon type, pleaaaaaasssse), but like I said, I don't think this Gen's over yet, so I think it will probably be for a new form, or--worst case scenario--it's just a Pikachu or an Exacdrill like Serebii said it might. If it is a new eeveelution, I would hope that it either foreshadows BW3 or RSEmakes this gen. Unless BW3 (if it happens) IS Gen VI, which would really be weird, but also cool IMO. Then it'd be more like Gen V.V.

Last edited:

This isn't helping your case with regards to the whole "rabid defence" thing. Get over yourself, and stop trying to put people down for daring to go against your pet theory.
How I present the information has no bearings on the truth of the reality it presents, and brushing it off as a rabid defence hardly helps your cause either. Clearly, how I presented the first half of my post didn't change that reality. Wanting a few more spin-offs has no bearings on the fact that there is no confirmation of those spin-offs occurring other than the fan's rigid adherence to "patterns", or the fact that it would be The Pokemon Company/Nintendo, and not Game Freak who would be alluding to new spin-offs

So here's the facts without emotion:

- Game Freak is the main company that produces Pokémon, and as such drives the franchise, not third-party games.
- In every generation spin-offs have been dropped through transition, what makes Ranger any different? They've released 3 ranger games in 4 years in Gen IV, its been over two years for Gen V and not a single Ranger game has been released or alluded to. What makes you so sure it's even on the table at this point?
- Game Freak never announces third-party Pokemon games, as that is not their job. They have an entire separate company set up for that kind of advertisement (i.e., TPC). Banking on third-party spin-offs from a Game Freak announcement makes absolutely no sense, as there is nothing in that comment that points to "spin-offs"
- It's not weird for Game Freak to not have a main-console game, because Game Freak is not the one who makes them. Game Freak isn't even part owner of the company that they outsource making console games to.
- @Silktree can confirm this for me, but if I recall, Genius Sonority's staff has been severely reduced in numbers over the years, something not very conducive to developing a new console game. Unless of course, another company has been asked to do it, but we have no indication of that either.

Calling my comment a "rabid defence" did nothing to change these facts, nor would changing how I presented the information (though arguably it would change the receptiveness of it), and restating why you think "its weird" doesn't make spin-offs any more of a reality at the moment.

My pet theory is a WiiU RPG made by Game Freak taking place in a new region with or without a new generation. Nothing you said contradicts that does it? Why don't you try fact checking before trying to brush people aside by telling people that this "message could easily refer to" a game that's been released already (or as an extension, refer to spin-offs).

Last edited:

- @Silktree can confirm this for me, but if I recall, Genius Sonority's staff has been severely reduced in numbers over the years, something not very conducive to developing a new console game. Unless of course, another company has been asked to do it, but we have no indication of that either.
They reported in 2010 that their staff had been reduced to just 20 people. Their website doesn't indicate that things have improved since then, but at least their eShop game ("Denpa" Men) has been successful. I highly doubt that they'll release a big game anytime soon.

I suspect that Creatures will release the next spin-off game in a few months. I hope that it will be something new, but it may just be a Ranger sequel. But to use any spin-off game as an excuse to prolong this generation? Game Freak couldn't care less about that.

How I present the information has no bearings on the truth of the reality it presents, and brushing it off as a rabid defence hardly helps your cause either.

My "cause" is not rolling over while smarmy rebuttals thrown are thrown at me simply for pointing out that there are other options than this one theory certain people have gotten so fixated on. Even if it does turn out to be right, you don't have to be so dogmatic about it.

Wanting a few more spin-offs has no bearings on the fact that there is no confirmation of those spin-offs occurring other than the fan's rigid adherence to "patterns"

Sorry if I'm not willing to bend to complete speculation over precedent.

So here's the facts without emotion:

- In every generation spin-offs have been dropped through transition, what makes Ranger any different? They've released 3 ranger games in 4 years in Gen IV, its been ~3 years for Gen V and not a single Ranger game has been released. What makes you so sure it's even on the table?

What makes you so sure it's not? They seem to be quite popular, so I don't see why they wouldn't make more, and if they are (which I don't see why they wouldn't) then it makes sense for them not to release any yet since, like you said, they release them in transition, where as we're only like halfway through Gen V, by the looks of things.

- Generalizing to "console games" doesn't change the fact that Colo/XD were a very different series from Stadium, and clearly they did not continue console RPG's in PBR or the fact that PBR was pretty much a flop.

That doesn't mean they're just going to give up, especially with all the Wii U hype. Really, I think that only encourages them to change the style of console game they make. Also, if that "generalising" remark was meant to imply that I was trying to shift my goalposts, I've been calling them console games from the start.

Why don't you try fact checking before trying to brush people aside by telling people that this message could "message could easily refer to" a game that's been released already (or as an extension, refer to spin-offs).

I didn't know that Nintendo Dream was a Japanese magazine at the time,and so didn't make the connection you did. I was wrong. So what? I wasn't saying that it definitely, no doubt about it meant PMD, I was just drawing attention to the fact that it doesn't definitely mean Gen VI is gonna be happening any time soon, as you and several others seem to be convinced.

And like I said, there's still nothing wrong with the idea that it could refer to another extension or spin-off besides PMD. It might even be something totally different that no one was expecting, like Nobunaga's Ambition/Conquest. No one knows.

It's not weird for Game Freak to not have a main-console game, because Game Freak is not the one who makes them. Game Freak isn't even part owner of the company that they outsource making console games to

It would still be a huge violation of precedent, even if it is Genius Sonority they outsource to (what does that even have to do with this, really? You yourself said that GF drives the franchise; they give the go ahead).

restating why you think "its weird" doesn't make spin-offs any more of a reality at the moment.

I don't care if the spin-offs are a reality at the moment, I just think there are more options than just Gen VI.

My pet theory is a WiiU RPG made by Game Freak taking place in a new region with or without a new generation. Nothing you said contradicts that does it?

No, in fact it would fit the console void atm, which I was talking about. Not to mention that I would rather like that.

@Silktree can confirm this for me, but if I recall, Genius Sonority's staff has been severely reduced in numbers over the years, something not very conducive to developing a new console game. Unless of course, another company has been asked to do it, but we have no indication of that either

True, but at the same time I didn't say they were doing it right now. I'm just saying I'd find it weird for them to not bother and end the gen without one. That said, they did have Nintendo do Stadiums 1 & 2 (in collaboration with HAL laboratory), so maybe they're having them do the Gen V verison. Maybe we'll be seeing Stadium 3 (which I would kind of love) in the future. Who knows?

But to use any spin-off game as an excuse to prolong this generation? Game Freak couldn't care less about that.

Well, it has been noted that the rangers games are released in transition, so it would make sense for them to release it down if they do want to end this gen right now.

Last edited:

They cannot kick off the 3DS Main Series Pokémon Games with remakes it just doesn't make sense. It would give Generation 6 the same treatment that Black and White got which is being on the same system as a previous Generation. I personally think that the next Main Series Game for 3DS if there is one should be Generation 6.

Speculation based on precedent is still "bending to complete speculation" when you ignore the observable events that have unfolded and assert that "x, y, and z must happen because it has happened in the past" and selectively ignoring when those patterns are not met. It is, after all, weird that one would expect a Ranger game based on precedence when the Ranger series has been more or less confined to Gen IV. It only had one Gen III game, and that game was advertised as a "pathway" to Diamond and Pearl. So where exactly is the precedence for expecting another Ranger game? How can you hold this same precedence when past spin-offs have been simply cast off when a new generation arrives?

And yet, observing that all the Gen V event Pokemon have been released, and that Game Freak (not TPC or Nintendo) has announced that they will be expanding the Pokemon World, and coming to the simplest conclusion that it means Gen VI is coming (it is simpler than Game Freak developing a WiiU RPG as there is no precedence for GF to do that) is being dismissed as "complete speculation" whereas the lack of any evidence other than "they did it last time" is supposed to be taken more seriously.

What makes you so sure it's not? They seem to be quite popular, so I don't see why they wouldn't make more, and if they are (which I don't see why they wouldn't) then it makes sense for them not to release any yet since, like you said, they release them in transition, where as we're only like halfway through Gen V, by the looks of things.
Reversing my question doesn't change what I've said about it being over two years and no Ranger game having been released yet, or the fact that Game Freak is not in charge of Ranger games, which make them completely irrelevant to the topic at hand

That doesn't mean they're just going to give up, especially with all the Wii U hype. Really, I think that only encourages them to change the style of console game they make. Also, if that "generalising" remark was meant to imply that I was trying to shift my goalposts, I've been calling them console games from the start.

"Not giving up" is not any more evident towards a Gen V console game than it is to a Gen VI console game. No one is going to shell out money for a WiiU just for a Gen V console game. Pokemon games don't sell home consoles like they do handhelds. Nintendo would have to wait until the WiiU is fairly common amongst players already, and by then, it would be weird to even be having the conversation of whether Gen V is coming to a close or not given that the WiiU has just been released this holiday season.

I didn't know that Nintendo Dream was a Japanese magazine at the time,and so didn't make the connection you did. I was wrong. So what? I wasn't saying that it definitely, no doubt about it meant PMD, I was just drawing attention to the fact that it doesn't definitely mean Gen VI is gonna be happening any time soon, as you and several others seem to be convinced.
The very first post said "(see source for the Japanese quote)", Game Freak is a Japan-based company with TPCi being the ones addressing non-Japanese fans.

And like I said, there's still nothing wrong with the idea that it could refer to another extension or spin-off besides PMD. It might even be something totally different that no one was expecting, like Nobunaga's Ambition/Conquest. No one knows.
It's been stated so many times already, but Game Freak does not handle any of that. If a non-main series game is being released, then the job falls to TPC and Nintendo to create hype. This was a quote directly from Game Freak. What in the world makes that so hard to understand? The fact that Pokemon is so compartmentalized in how its handled makes it fairly easy to know whether an announcement is main-series or spin-off.

Tecmo Koei also didn't go to Game Freak to negotiate releasing Pokemon Conquest. The negotiations happened with The Pokemon Company, since they're the ones who are in charge of that. Are you getting the point yet, or does it need to be stated again that Game Freak is not responsible for making, nor are they responsible for advertising or addressing spin-offs. Kind of weird for a person so hung up on not "violating the precedent" to suddenly expect this precedent to be violated.

It would still be a huge violation of precedent, even if it is Genius Sonority they outsource to (what does that even have to do with this, really? You yourself said that GF drives the franchise; they give the go ahead).

I can give you a massive list of "huge violation of precedences" but I'll just give a few: gendered legendaries, Phione, B2W2, releasing Gen V on the DS instead of a new console....

I don't care if the spin-offs are a reality at the moment, I just think there are more options than just Gen VI.
Then don't go around telling people who think Gen VI is coming that what they are doing is "bending to complete speculation"

No, in fact it would fit the console void atm, which I was talking about. Not to mention that I would rather like that.
Of course, I begin to wonder if you grasp the difference between Genius Sonority making a console game and Game Freak making a console game....the latter of which would mean that everything is canon to the main series and fulfills their promise of expanding the Pokemon universe. However, it certainly does not follow this "precedence" that you expect it to other than being a console game.

True, but at the same time I didn't say they were doing it right now. I'm just saying I'd find it weird for them to not bother and end the gen without one. That said, they did have Nintendo do Stadiums 1 & 2 (in collaboration with HAL laboratory), so maybe they're having them do the Gen V verison. Maybe we'll be seeing Stadium 3 (which I would kind of love) in the future. Who knows?

If they're not doing it right now, when do you expect the generation to end? Or do you simply want another rushed game like PBR rather than a quality game just because it follows this preconceived pattern you want it to follow?

Well, it has been noted that the rangers games are released in transition, so it would make sense for them to release it down if they do want to end this gen right now.

Wouldn't it have made more sense for them to have done that with Guardian Signs given how close it was released between Gen IV and Gen V's release? And yet they still didn't do it. For a person all for "following the precedent" you sure are inconsistent about it unless its convenient to prove a point.

I dont understand why we need a thousand spin offs for a generation or why every generation has to be 4 years long. Yeah sure that might be what happened with one or two generations, but Game Freak can break their patterns. I think it would be a bad move to have RS remakes now,as much as I and many people like remakes, they need to start fresh on the 3DS with Gen 6 and it should be soon, the 3DS has been out almost 2 years.

While I would not mind RSE remakes, I do agree we need Gen VI before that happens - to officially kick off the 3DS being the platform of choice.

However, more then Gen VI vs RSE discussion, what I want to see is GameFreak expand and evolve the game a bit more.

I want us to be able to use HMs w/o training them in the overworld. If you want to teach Surf to your Water, go for it. But it shouldn't be required if you want to actually SURF out on the ocean - this would help with being able to run your full 6 without having to carry HM bots around. It was always one of my biggest pet peeves in the game.

Definitely second having customizeable avatars. More details and variety is always good. I also feel that BW2 set an important precedent they need to continue - 8 badges/Elite 4 is just not enough. You need to have structure to your post game to help drive people on. And pulling some ideas from the fantastic SS/HG would help too. Pokemon following you, offering a chance to visit more then one continent to pursue greater goals, etc.

Lastly, I want the pointless Legendary "low" catch rate to be revisited. I understand Legendaries should take more time and effort to catch, but this doesn't need to be an artificial and poorly thought out mechanic that means 75% or more of your pokeballs basically bounce off the 1 HP/Sleeping half-dead pokemon -_-

My 2 cents on how I'd like to see them "evolve" the game outside of the obvious factors like a new Gen and updated graphics :)

I think getting pokemon into 3d proper will be a tough enough job. New pokemon might take a back seat to gaming logistics and I could see a remake RSE 3d world remake type game being released where the new pokemon are just therian form types of older pokemon.

ofc at this point its all just speculation and I wouldnt bet on anything.

One thing Iwouldnt rule out based on current other game trends is a gen v pokemon based game that can be online patched to allow it to have new gen vi pokemon in it if and when they were designed. SD cards are certainly big enough and internet fast enough to hold such info. plus dlc is hugely popular with other game makers.

I'm always amazed over the notion that suddenly two (or three) points suddenly make a pattern. Of course, cherry-picking what patterns to "adhere" to and not is of course utter rubbish as well. Unlike the movie scenario (where we've got quite a record of them following a pattern), several others are completely bogus to talk about at this point (remakes being the most major one in this scenario, but I could name plenty others, hardware, generation size and length to name some).

Of course, the fact that pokémon is already well underway in catering to the 3DS crowd (spin-offs, Dream Radar, Pokédex) should be pretty clear that they want to move over to the newer hardware. Of course, it would be rather naive to think that people would buy the 3DS (en masse) just because of those, but merely to please the existing audience (and in some ways, play around with the hardware, Harmoknight and the Pokédex 3D are probably the best examples of that). That, and the anime pacing in general. Now, I don't care about what happens for the most part, but the progression tells you quite a bit, and not to mention Genesect. They could surprise us with something new, but for someone who's so glad of precedents, then that would be highly irregular to say the least.

Judging by the history of releases, trying to find a set precedent of what generations should or should not contain when it comes to games, and saying it should be X years long is an utter waste of time. One might as well sit down and prove the Collatz Conjecture by testing it with random numbers. This sets a rather shitty precedent, and one which I value as much as the content of my garbage. There are other, more direct signs that are much more informative. For instance, that the 3DS will have been out for a very long time next year without a main series pokémon game. That's a very serious external influence pushing the release, and delaying the release to 2014 would have serious economic consequences. There's also the anime and the movie, which most are probably aware of now. Then, there's the fact that gen V is completed, it's main story-line is finished (whether or not people are satisfied with that conclusion is a completely different matter). BW2 taking the third version's place is of course very problematic for any other paired games (such as remakes), or even a sole game. The idea that gen V should have equal (or even more) main games on a platform that really should be switched to the newest asap is absurd.

They have much better options with things like the e-Shop now, not to use that would be terrible. I'm not very fond of the idea of paid DLC. The idea of adding content after release is such a bad idea, quite frankly it's rather good, but I don't want pokémon to turn into some other franchises when it comes to this. The worst thing up until now has pretty much been store events, and that's hardly horrible (well, unless we never get them, of course).

@ Codface - Given the direction the 3DS has gone so far, I think there's merit to the whole "DLC" expectations - they can expand and extend the life of a given game just by patching in and selling additions, but they need to be careful it's not just pointless filler like "Oh hey, 3 new formes!" which amounts to stuff like "Hey, here's new outfits for $5!" which always cheeses the loyal fans off.

Still, I relish the idea of them being able to extend and provide more content for a core game without us having to sink another $35-$40 into a new game which requires us to start over again, build up, port over, yada yada.

Speculation based on precedent is still "bending to complete speculation" when you ignore the observable events that have unfolded and assert that "x, y, and z must happen because it has happened in the past" and selectively ignoring when those patterns are not met.

I'm not ignoring anything; I've taken everything you've said into account, and either explained how it actually fits the pattern or how it makes sense for them not to. Besides, it's only a general trend, though that's still better than jumping to conclusions and proclaiming that Gen V is practically here, and everyone else is deffo wrong.

It is, after all, weird that one would expect a Ranger game based on precedence when the Ranger series has been more or less confined to Gen IV. It only had one Gen III game,

That's still a third of all the ranger games there have been. That's not even "more or less" confined to gen IV. Really, it would be more accurate to say Gen IV just got an extra one.

and that game was advertised as a "pathway" to Diamond and Pearl.

I don't remember it being advertised as such.

So where exactly is the precedence for expecting another Ranger game? How can you hold this same precedence when past spin-offs have been simply cast off when a new generation arrives?

The fact that ranger has been present in two gens, and has had three games already, and has been fairly well-received implies it's here for the long term, just like PMD.

And yet, observing that all the Gen V event Pokemon have been released, and that Game Freak (not TPC or Nintendo) has announced that they will be expanding the Pokemon World,

Actually, they said that the "next evolution of the Pokemon world" is on it's way. True, that could mean Gen VI, but it could also mean any other work that they're coming out with that they deem rather edgy.

and coming to the simplest conclusion that it means Gen VI is coming (it is simpler than Game Freak developing a WiiU RPG as there is no precedence for GF to do that) is being dismissed as "complete speculation" whereas the lack of any evidence other than "they did it last time" is supposed to be taken more seriously.

It's not just "they did it last time" it's looking at everything they've done before, and how they've done it. For them to end gen V right now, as underdeveloped as it is, would be completely unprecedented. A Wii U console game (not necessarily RPG), or indeed anything else (even if it is developed by, or only in part by, GF) is more likely than gen VI right now, based on past patterns. It also just doesn't make sense, I think, for them to rush through a gen like this, when there's more they could make out of it.

Reversing my question doesn't change what I've said about it being over two years and no Ranger game having been released yet, or the fact that Game Freak is not in charge of Ranger games, which make them completely irrelevant to the topic at hand

I already said in the very excerpt you quoted that it makes sense for HAL/Creatures to take longer making this one if Gen V's not over yet, which I don't think it is. That said, they aren't even taking that long with this one (if it is in the works). The ranger games are usually released within two years of each other; another year isn't really that much of a stretch.

"Not giving up" is not any more evident towards a Gen V console game than it is to a Gen VI console game. No one is going to shell out money for a WiiU just for a Gen V console game. Pokemon games don't sell home consoles like they do handhelds. Nintendo would have to wait until the WiiU is fairly common amongst players already, and by then, it would be weird to even be having the conversation of whether Gen V is coming to a close or not given that the WiiU has just been released this holiday season.

This only convinces me further that they haven't released a gen V console game yet because they're waiting for the WIi U to become more popular, like it probably will later in 2013.

The very first post said "(see source for the Japanese quote)", Game Freak is a Japan-based company with TPCi being the ones addressing non-Japanese fans.

And didn't consider that when writing my first post. Sue me.

It's been stated so many times already, but Game Freak does not handle any of that. If a non-main series game is being released, then the job falls to TPC and Nintendo to create hype. This was a quote directly from Game Freak. What in the world makes that so hard to understand? The fact that Pokemon is so compartmentalized in how its handled makes it fairly easy to know whether an announcement is main-series or spin-off.

Tecmo Koei also didn't go to Game Freak to negotiate releasing Pokemon Conquest. The negotiations happened with The Pokemon Company, since they're the ones who are in charge of that. Are you getting the point yet, or does it need to be stated again that Game Freak is not responsible for making, nor are they responsible for advertising or addressing spin-offs. Kind of weird for a person so hung up on not "violating the precedent" to suddenly expect this precedent to be violated.

I'm not "hung up" on precedent. I've said already that they could still do it and end gen V right now. However, I find it unlikely for reasons already given and I think alternate theories like this as practically the only option is nigh-on fanatical.

And it doesn't matter how Nobunaga's Ambition was produced, my point is that they could have something totally different in the works, and you don't know that they don't.

I can give you a massive list of "huge violation of precedences" but I'll just give a few: gendered legendaries, Phione, B2W2, releasing Gen V on the DS instead of a new console....

Stop exaggerating. Gendered legendaries/phione was only one of the many minor shake-ups they introduced every gen, like the time function & weather (even more minor than those, in fact). Gen V has broken the rules a bit, but none of those things you listed are akin to only releasing two handheld main series games (one of which was a sequel to the former; so really only one very long handheld game) and then ending a whole gen. Yeah, gen V made it more conceivable, but still very unlikely, I think. It'd be akin to them not including rivals in the next game's storyline.

Then don't go around telling people who think Gen VI is coming that what they are doing is "bending to complete speculation"

It is complete speculation. Furthermore, I made that comment because you seem to be convinced that I'm refusing to listen to reason because I'm some sort of ranger fanboy, which isn't the case. My whole argument doesn't rest on the spin-offs; that's tangential. My main reason for going against this idea that gen VI definitely coming right now is the release record, and the lack of other games. Spin-offs are a part of that, but not the crux of the argument.

Of course, I begin to wonder if you grasp the difference between Genius Sonority making a console game and Game Freak making a console game....the latter of which would mean that everything is canon to the main series and fulfills their promise of expanding the Pokemon universe. However, it certainly does not follow this "precedence" that you expect it to other than being a console game.

What are you going on about? It's all canon. Genius Sonority made XD & Colo, and they're considered main series & canon. It doesn;t matter who makes it.

If they're not doing it right now, when do you expect the generation to end?

If you actually read my previous posts, you'd know I'm estimating probably 2014, maybe even 2015, since the gens are usually about 3 or 4 years apart, and they've been getting further apart as more are released. I mean, they could start gen VI in 2013 (it would be only 3 years after gen V, and so still fit the pattern) but I don't think they will because, like I said, they haven't done much with it yet compared to previous gens, and the gens have been getting further apart. I'm not

Or do you simply want another rushed game like PBR rather than a quality game just because it follows this preconceived pattern you want it to follow?

You don't know what is going to be released next, so don't pretend like you do. For all we know, there could be something better than Colo & XD combined.

Wouldn't it have made more sense for them to have done that with Guardian Signs given how close it was released between Gen IV and Gen V's release? And yet they still didn't do it. For a person all for "following the precedent" you sure are inconsistent about it unless its convenient to prove a point.

No, it wouldn't, because then there'd be two ranger games, one for each gen since inception, released really close together and then a third one just popping up out of the blue. It makes more sense for them to have two at the end of each gen. Yes, there was another that wasn't "in transition", but that one came close on the heels of the last ranger game.

I'm always amazed over the notion that suddenly two (or three) points suddenly make a pattern.

If that was a thinly-veiled reference to what I've been on about, then that's not really accurate, and you know it. Some of these trends I've been pointing out have been with the franchise since it's inception, specifically the tendency for a console game to be released with every gen (sometimes more than one), which is more than just two or three points, as is the release record for main series handheld games. Sure, patterns aren't infallible and can be broken, but it's more likely that they will be obeyed. Besides, it's better to look at patterns than just demand people roll over to complete speculation, IMO, which this is.

Last edited:

I find this preoccupation with the spin-off games tiring. Anyone who doesn't think that Generation VI is coming should at least offer a reasonable theory as to what Game Freak are going to do next year. TPCi have already told us that remakes are not going to be the first main series 3DS entries, and it is as clear as day that B2W2 were the last DS games (suffice to say that the DS isn't being promoted anymore). We can also safely rule out B3W3 if only for the following comments:

Why stick to the original DS? Why not move to the 3DS for the new Pokémon?

Masuda: So first, being a direct sequel to Pokémon Black version and Pokémon White version, we really wanted to make sure that players of the original game would be able to play the sequels. Maybe not all of them have a Nintendo 3DS, but they definitely had a Nintendo DS if they played the original games.
Could future Pokemon sequels — maybe even a Black 3 and White 3 — be in the cards? Masuda provides only a vague answer: "If in the future, we feel that we want to continue, perhaps we'll have a continuation. But we're really satisfied with how Black 2 and White 2 have turned out, so perhaps not."
Game Freak feel that B2W2 served their purpose as sequels, and they won't release yet another pair of sequels for the 3DS as that would defeat purpose of keeping B2W2 on the DS.

Green Zubat said:
The fact that ranger has been present in two gens, and has had three games already, and has been fairly well-received implies it's here for the long term, just like PMD.
The Mystery Dungeon games were better received than the Ranger ones were. The Sky version, which had little in the way of exclusive content, had higher sales than Guardian Signs did. In fact, Guardian Signs' sales were noticeably lower than its predecessors'. Could there be a sequel? Yes, but it is absolutely not a necessity. Far from it.

Besides, if any company wants to release a game in the remainder of this generation, there is time to do so in the first half of 2013.

This only convinces me further that they haven't released a gen V console game yet because they're waiting for the WIi U to become more popular, like it probably will later in 2013.
Or they're just waiting to release a Wii U game at some point and don't really care under which generation it will fall. I wouldn't expect to see them do anything big with the Wii U in its first year considering that they have yet to do anything major with the 3DS in nearly two years. PBR may have been released early, but that didn't work in its favor as evidenced by its poor sales. This generation has lasted two years without an accompanying console game, so what makes you think that it couldn't end without one?

Genius Sonority made XD & Colo, and they're considered main series & canon. It doesn;t matter who makes it.
That is not the consensus. If anything, they're considered a side series that is closer to the main series than any other game is. They are their own canon which may or may not have anything to do with the main series canon.

Last edited:

709430011.jpg

Could be anything, but that message just aired after the Promotionnal video with N shadow triad ... this morning on TV tokyo. An annoucement is planned for January 8

View attachment 83229

Could be anything, but that message just aired after the Promotionnal video with N shadow triad ... this morning on TV tokyo. An annoucement is planned for January 8

I wonder what it is? It looks pretty promising I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom