• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Most irritating parts of the game

Not being able to adjust the time manually like you could in Legends is a big one for me, especially if story events are locked to a certain time of day. Doesn't help that the cycle is like 72 minutes so if you miss your window you may be waiting a while.
Last playthrough I could barely really enjoy the climax battle for Starfall because I finished the last base at night and I was trying to hurry up to time the end of the Clavel fight so I could still get to Penny.

Also yeah the fact that you can run from a battle and immediately get thrown into like 50 others is awful. I think my horror story is getting trapped in cave full of Geodude in Kitakami and having to get out of like 4-5 battles to escape. Never ran from a cave so fast.

I've gotta add on here the way they portrayed Cassiopeia's "hacking."

She "hacks" the player's phone when she could have easily called them. She's brought to Area Zero to deal with machines and all she did was turn the lights on. It almost feels like something was cut due to time. But even in that case, they could have had a prompt with Penny at each station along the lines of, "Should I hack the lock now?" That way the player still chooses when to advance the story and Penny isn't useless. Instead there's just a big obvious button and Penny has no purpose other to than lean on the fourth wall and to tell Nemona what happy family reunions do and do not look like.

And don't even get me started on the fact that the person who does nearly all her socializing in a voice-only format doesn't recognize the voice of the freakin' school director! There were titans smaller than that idiot ball they stuck her with!

it's flabebe i think i have the biggest issue with

....much worse though, imo, is getting chased endlessly by veluza while traversing water.
oh god, veluza. i don't even try to run from those i just ko them since my meowscarada oneshots them with basically every move she has

I've gotta add on here the way they portrayed Cassiopeia's "hacking."

She "hacks" the player's phone when she could have easily called them. She's brought to Area Zero to deal with machines and all she did was turn the lights on. It almost feels like something was cut due to time. But even in that case, they could have had a prompt with Penny at each station along the lines of, "Should I hack the lock now?" That way the player still chooses when to advance the story and Penny isn't useless. Instead there's just a big obvious button and Penny has no purpose other to than lean on the fourth wall and to tell Nemona what happy family reunions do and do not look like.

And don't even get me started on the fact that the person who does nearly all her socializing in a voice-only format doesn't recognize the voice of the freakin' school director! There were titans smaller than that idiot ball they stuck her with!
Objectively, I agree with all this, aside from maybe your point on Clavell’s voice; the voice could be headcanoned to be completely different or even be an auto-generated voice. I would like for you to clarify what you mean by “There were titans smaller than that idiot ball they stuck her with!”, since your point here doesn’t seem clear to me.
But your criticisms on Penny surprisingly have a good side: they can help me with a rap battle project idea that I and my best friend have come up with. She’s going up against Persona 5’s Futaba Sakura in said idea and you’ve helped me provide more things Penny can be dissed for in addition to what I can think of.

Last edited:
Sorry about that. "Hold the idiot ball" is just a writing phrase for making a character do something that's illogical for them to do but it's in service to the plot. And the size of the "idiot ball" refers to how out of character it was. (So in this case, me comparing it to the size of the titan Pokemon was meant how out of character I thought Penny was acting in that moment.)

Hope that clears it up!

The fact that most NPC trainers tend to have only ONE, maybe two Pokemon on-hand when you battle them. I get pretty tired of having the battle end after literally one attack (sans misses). The first opponent that you face that has 4 Mons is Iono's first Gym match (depending on the order you went), followed by Nemona after you beat the 5th Gym (which, again, depending on your order, will only have 3 Mons in their roster). Very rarely, and I mean very rarely, will you find an NPC that has 3 Mons, but anything above that is pretty much a foregone conclusion. Seriously, GF? Given the sheer amount of Mons in the dex and how big Paldea is you'd think that most trainers would have a minimum of 3 Mons on them at a time. Instead, each battle tends to end in literally one shot, overleveled or otherwise. It gets really tiring to enter a battle and end it only 10 seconds later.

The fact that most NPC trainers tend to have only ONE, maybe two Pokemon on-hand when you battle them. I get pretty tired of having the battle end after literally one attack (sans misses). The first opponent that you face that has 4 Mons is Iono's first Gym match (depending on the order you went), followed by Nemona after you beat the 5th Gym (which, again, depending on your order, will only have 3 Mons in their roster). Very rarely, and I mean very rarely, will you find an NPC that has 3 Mons, but anything above that is pretty much a foregone conclusion. Seriously, GF? Given the sheer amount of Mons in the dex and how big Paldea is you'd think that most trainers would have a minimum of 3 Mons on them at a time. Instead, each battle tends to end in literally one shot, overleveled or otherwise. It gets really tiring to enter a battle and end it only 10 seconds later.
My guess has to do with how rushed the project was. But overall, even with the reasoning for your gripe, I honestly feel like at least more NPC trainers could have more than one Pokémon when you fight them. This could’ve probably been fixed if the S/V project wasn’t so rushed.
And another thing: could you give me comparative examples regarding other Pokémon games and their averages for how many Pokémon an NPC trainer has?

My guess has to do with how rushed the project was. But overall, even with the reasoning for your gripe, I honestly feel like at least more NPC trainers could have more than one Pokémon when you fight them. This could’ve probably been fixed if the S/V project wasn’t so rushed.
And another thing: could you give me comparative examples regarding other Pokémon games and their averages for how many Pokémon an NPC trainer has?

I do agree the games were rushed, as they should've waited to release them until this year and gave LA some breathing room. But it still doesn't excuse the fact that pretty much 90% of the NPCs that aren't Gym Leaders or rivals tend to have 1 to 2 Mons in the game.

As for comparative examples for all other games, that would take entirely too long. But from what little I've quickly done research on (in this case, DPPt, since they were the first to come into my head), most of the NPC trainers had an average of 3 Mons, some having more like Fishermen (who tend to have whole teams of Magikarps), Hikers (who frequently have multiple Rock Mons, often around 4), and the occasional Breeders (who tend to have 2-4 Mons apiece). So when it comes to DPPt (and BDSP by extension), most trainers tend to have an average of 3-4 Mons in their teams at a time, which is more than can be said about the trainers in Paldea. Hell, even early on some of the trainers can have more than 1-2 Mons (one of the Lasses before Oreburgh Tunnel has 3 Mons, and the various Bug Catchers in Eterna Forest often have the entire evolution lines of Wurple and/or multiple forms of Burmy, depending on the game, which is often 3 Mons apiece). So the fact that, using DPPt as an example, most trainers tend to have an average of 3 Mons compared to 90% of Paldea trainers only having 1 to 2 is rather jarring.

Back
Top Bottom