• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves you think a Pokemon should have.

Neither is Empoleon, though.

Yeah, I know. I really should stop trying to hold Game Freak to logical standards, shouldn't I?

Grass Knot would be great for heatmor for some coverage, although it's still weak against flying.

I'm going to do this one by one by purely focusing on over underpowered or lackluster Pokemon as I think them up.

First up is Snivy - Servine - Serperior

Goal of the following would be to shift Snivy's line from "crappy version of Sceptile" into "Grass version of Milotic".

Snivy Line (Moves They Should Learn By Level):
* Glare: Serperior is the only snake that doesn't learn this by leveling, I think. It's Pokedex entry even says Glare is Serperior's signature move but it doesn't learn it naturally!
* Outrage: It's original name is "Imperial Rage" and Serperior is royalty.
* Camouflage: Snakes are supposed to be good at this.
* Recover and Refresh: Might as well play to its strengths.
* Dragonbreath: If Onix can learn this, no reason Serperior shouldn't.

(Moves The Snivy Line Should Learn By Breeding, Heart Scale, or Move Tutor)
* Aqua Tail (A lot of non-water types with big tails learned this via tutor in Gen IV)
* Confuse Ray, Hypnosis: To go along with the charming Snake motif.
* Psycho Cut: If it can use Leaf Blade, it should be able to use this.
* Tail Slap: It's 50% tail anyways.

* Glare: Serperior is the only snake that doesn't learn this by leveling, I think. It's Pokedex entry even says Glare is Serperior's signature move but it doesn't learn it naturally!

Can learn it through Breeding just to clarify.

I'm going to do this one by one by purely focusing on over underpowered or lackluster Pokemon as I think them up.

First up is Snivy - Servine - Serperior

Goal of the following would be to shift Snivy's line from "crappy version of Sceptile" into "Grass version of Milotic".

Snivy Line (Moves They Should Learn By Level):
* Outrage: It's original name is "Imperial Rage" and Serperior is royalty.
* Camouflage: Snakes are supposed to be good at this.
* Recover and Refresh: Might as well play to its strengths.
* Dragonbreath: If Onix can learn this, no reason Serperior shouldn't.

(Moves The Snivy Line Should Learn By Breeding, Heart Scale, or Move Tutor)
* Aqua Tail (A lot of non-water types with big tails learned this via tutor in Gen IV)
* Confuse Ray, Hypnosis: To go along with the charming Snake motif.
* Psycho Cut: If it can use Leaf Blade, it should be able to use this.
* Tail Slap: It's 50% tail anyways.

I completely agree with this list. It's baffling how a snake can learn "Coil" but not "Glare/Snake's Glare" by level up. sure it's an egg move, but still, just unwanted trolling by GF. In addition to Aqua Tail & Tail Slap, Poison Tail should also be suggested since it's origin is Seviper & it's coverage would help Serperior deal with other grass types.

I think Extremespeed would also be something to consider for Serperior, since it's fast & if snake like 'mons such as Dratini & Dragonair can use it, why not the snivy family?

Lilipup Line

Basically as I see it, the only thing holding back this line is a good Fighting-type move. For that I simply suggest one addition:

Close Combat as a level up move. Close Combat is a powerful fighting-type moved that's not based around punching or kicking. You just get in there and flail around. The fact that Terrakion and Staravia can both use it show you don't need to be humanoid to learn it. That would basically complete Stoutland's moveset as bulky damage.

Liepard

Not a heck of a lot can be do to make up for it's lackluster stats. I suppose U-Turn or Baton Pass might help it in a niche role of a tricky supporter.

Monkey Trio

As far as I can tell, all three of the monkeys could benefit from a solid Fighting-type move, since they're all humanoid and all seem to lack that coverage. In a more general sense all three are such generalists that they could use the Clefairy treatment of a large pool of tricky support moves. With that in mind I suggest all three get these across the board additions:

Level Up Moves:
* Encore
* Hi-Jump Kick
* Morning Sun (Pansear) / Moonlight (Panpour) / Synthesis (Pansage)
* Aromatherapy (They are all cooking monkeys, so they should know how to smell good)
* Bulk Up
* Baton Pass

Heart Scale Tutor Move:
* All 3 Elemental Punches (Ice, Thunder, Fire) for each of them.

Breeding Move:
* Slack Off

I think that's all more or less thematically sound and would help a lot, and differentiates them a bit from being "fail Eeveelutions" and more of a trio of supporters with decent coverage and good utility (more like elemental Ambipoms, essentially).

The Vaniluxe and Beartic lines need more moves in general, preferably more non-Ice moves.

The Vaniluxe and Beartic lines need more moves in general, preferably more non-Ice moves.

Beartic doesn't really need a lot more moves. He gets Superpower, Icicle Crash, Shadow Claw, Stone Edge, and Swords Dance. All I would give him is Aqua Jet.

Vanillite definitely needs help. I'm trying to think of thematically appropriate moves, and the things that come to mind most are things that don't require arms or legs and are mostly energy things. Thematically, Flying-type moves fit best: Gust, Air Cutter, Air Slash and Normal-type Razor Wind. It should also probably learn Water Pulse by level up instead of breeding. Air Slash and Water Pulse would at least give him a bit of type coverage for Fire and Fighting Pokemon.

I could also easily make a case for one or two Ghost-type moves like Shadow Ball and Ominous Wind given that it moves by levitation.

Since the non-Ice type moves it does learn are based around reflection Mirror Shot and Flash Cannon, I think you could justify a few moves like Signal Beam, Power Gem, and Psybeam.

Vanilluxe doesn't need anymore utility, but it does need to learn to be able to use something besides Blizzard or Ice Beam for offense.

OK, now, what about Rapidash? The Fire Unicorn has room for potential (I think), but it needs some more moves for that to happen. For example:

1) Jump Kick (Sawsbuck and Stantler can already learn it. And even though they and Rapidash aren't the same animal, they both have the legs for kicking high.)

2) Rock Climb (I don't know about you, but when I think of a horse, I think of something that has to climb a moutain.)

3) Double-Edge and Thrash as Level-Up moves (That horse is pissed. It just trampled that guy, and now it's kicking around at everything!)

I think I may be thinking of other hooved animals, though.

There's only one I can think of at the moment and that's Fire Punch for Quilava. Typhlosion can learn it and Quilava can learn Focus Punch, so why not Fire Punch?

It's likely an incentive to have people evolve their Quilavas.

I think that Garchomp should of been able to learn fly as both the Pokedex says it can fly and the anime has shown Garchomp flying.

Ampharos for Tail Glow.

I don't think I've ever agreed with anything more. This is just so derp that it doesn't have it that... I dunno.

I know, right? I guess they have their reasons... or they're are just neglecting poor sheep-line.

Also, Squirtle-line should get Shell Smash.

And, this is more of a personal choice, but stuff with really high Base Speed should get Extremespeed; how stuff like Lucario and Dragonite get it, with their lower speeds, but stuff like Jolteon, Crobat, Weavile and Zebstrika don't, is beyond me. :/

And, this is more of a personal choice, but stuff with really high Base Speed should get Extremespeed; how stuff like Lucario and Dragonite get it, with their lower speeds, but stuff like Jolteon, Crobat, Weavile and Zebstrika don't, is beyond me. :/

I would think that they don't have it because they're already fast enough.

Therefore, they have extreme speed and Pokemon with slower speed don't have extreme speed.

Like I said, it's more a personal choice to me, as, imo, it's logical for them to have it.

Well if any Pokemon should learn Extremespeed, it's Rapidash.

Fighting Pokemon should learn roundhouse kick. They need some chuck norris action in the game!

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom