• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
After observing the Pokemon Lab in the trailer, I have a strange feeling that the typing to Galar is more Grass Types than Metal.

Kanto: Poison
Johto: Electric
Hoenn: Fire
Sinnoh: Ice
Unova: Dragon
Kalos: Fairy
Alola: Water
Galar: Grass

I'm sure anyone can help figure out what typing you think matches?
It doesn't work like that. There is no "main type" in any region.

After observing the Pokemon Lab in the trailer, I have a strange feeling that the typing to Galar is more Grass Types than Metal.

Kanto: Poison
Johto: Electric
Hoenn: Fire
Sinnoh: Ice
Unova: Dragon
Kalos: Fairy
Alola: Water
Galar: Grass

I'm sure anyone can help figure out what typing you think matches?
I really don't think there's a dominant type in each region, and even if it were some of these types you list wouldn't even qualify for dominant. Electric for Johto? How? And all the jokes about Hoenn and 'too much water' yet you put fire as the dominant type.

The region should have a notable one since its home to two of the oldest universities in the world.
pokemon games don't typically feature educational institutions heavily though, so it's not that likely.
Since they kept more information hidden away from us for 3 whole months, I want to see major stuff being revealed.
this is honestly scarcely different from SM. the only major difference is that it was one significant info dump rather than a single "oh yeah this game is real" and then actual information.

You mean besides the Trainer’s school in every region and the libraries in both Malie City and Canalave Town?
all of them are simply generic buildings. none of them are inspired by any specific institution, even in regions where there are easy examples of notable educational institutions (Unova could've easily featured Columbia or even NYU, Kalos could've handily reference Sorbonne or the other grandes ecoles).

they're also not heavily featured either.

all of them are simply generic buildings. none of them are inspired by any specific institution, even in regions where there are easy examples of notable educational institutions (Unova could've easily featured Columbia or even NYU, Kalos could've handily reference Sorbonne or the other grandes ecoles).

they're also not heavily featured either.
Who said they had to be heavily featured? They just said a “notable” building.

Like I said before, 3 months of no news for Pokemon Sword/Shield is ridiculous and I thought the developers aren't happy with how they went about sharing the news for Sun and Moon.. but this is literally worse for Sword and Shield, jeez.

When we do get any form of news regarding Sword/Shield, it better have a whole lot of new information to make up for it like what KiranTheWitch said.

Like I said before, 3 months of no news for Pokemon Sword/Shield is ridiculous and I thought the developers aren't happy with how they went about sharing the news for Sun and Moon.. but this is literally worse for Sword and Shield, jeez.
It really isn’t. When SM was announced we had no info on them at all, while we already have a trailer for Sword/Shield.

I'm going to do an analysis on the lab/professor, and it's possibly going to be a rant, but I feel like I need to do it.

The lab itself doesn't seem to be an indication of anything for most of the professors. They are just a lab, there's nothing noteworthy about them at all. It isn't until the 6th gen that maybe we start to see overarching ideas that spill into the rest of the region or their design mentality. Sycamore has a bunch of art, playing into the beauty motif of Kalos. I will also note that the evolution of Snivy may tangentially refer to Mega Evolution, even though it has little to do with normal pokemon evolution. OR/AS gave us a little bit more flavor for Birch, showing the studies that he has done. We actually see Kukui sparring with his pokemon, and also that his lab is sort of a gym. (a fitness gym, not a pokemon gym) There could be an indication with the plants, but I can't be certain. I can't even be certain if whatever the computer is measuring is of relevance, or the charts. It could be any of them.

The professor themselves has long been at least somewhat related to something new that they're doing. Professor Elm was breeding; Birch was field studies. Hoenn is one of the most diverse lands we've had, and the pokemon themselves were given more depth in the form of natures and abilities. Rowan was evolution, and we got the most line expansions in the 4th gen than anywhere. Juniper studies the origin of pokemon, Unova is solidly centered around it's creation lore. Sycamore was directly connected to the main gimmick of Kalos, Mega Evolution. Kukui studies moves, and the main gimmick was Z Moves.

Some of this is a little weak and we could be chasing after nothing, but most of the time, it seems as if there is a connection to be made. I don't think we can tell what it is from what appears to be the lab alone. If it isn't the lab, then something is being studied there, but it's not like we haven't had labs for reasons other than the professor. That would lead to something unrelated, though.

Could there be something related to plants? There are a number of ways that could be related, but the most plausible would be something having to do with ecology. This region is described as having been developed equally by humans and pokemon. Ecology would have to invariably be involved in that. It could be some other form of environmental study. I don't know what else since the studies on the computer and charts aren't clear.

They could easily make the Pokémon school have a library inspired by that.
The main point of my post was that we don’t know if that place is the lab yet. It could just be a library.
and considering the series's track record with educational institutions (literally no significant IRL institution has ever been fully referenced in the series), it's most likely to "just be a library."

If the lab is a hint... Which i dont think it is. How about how pokemon effect plant life? Like maybe there is a problem with plant growth or something. Or how pokemon could clean the envirnoment. Like pollution

Well, we still need the legends since that is still left over from the things we are usually shown at this point. We will probably get some characters and a ton of pokemon if past patterns hold. If they were willing to skip this month for this, though, I am putting my foot down. I want the central gimmick of this game. I don't care if it's normally revealed in August, showing things we've seen in every pokemon game isn't going to cut it. We need excitement. We need something different. This fandom may be placated by new pokemon, but this time, I won't be.
This made me remember myself back in February expecting Sw/Sh campaign to be more consistent in the first months after the lack of news of s/m. And here we are...
I hope you are right...

and considering the series's track record with educational institutions (literally no significant IRL institution has ever been fully referenced in the series), it's most likely to "just be a library."

I guess you finally realised the main point of my post... which was that the place is not confirmed to be a lab.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom