• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I completely agree with you on all points. DLC is the way to go and it can be a way to satisfy the more hardcore fans without having to release a new game every year.
Is it odd that I can’t imagine Game Freak doing DLC for the core games. But can for the side games?

@Feign; Is is possible? Maybe. But that doesn't mean it should be done, nor would it even be that good of a move for Game Freak to pull. Making Kanto Switch with no new Pokémon most likely won't appeal to anyone other than Kanto fans, especially if they stick to the 151 roster like a few of us would expect them to in order to preserve nostalgia. When Game Freak not to have our expectations too high, this formula just makes Pokémon Switch look like a tech demo and would be the exact opposite of what people wanted for the Switch. I'm not saying Kanto on the Switch couldn't work, but it would definitely have to have either new Pokémon or a bunch of regional variants and/or relevant cross-gen evolutions at the very least to garner any interest from those who don't feel nostalgia for the Kanto region.

I haven't argued for that? I think you have me confused for someone else. +/- specifically mention new Pokemon so I don't think it is at all related to Kanto, although I could easily be wrong if it has an updated roster with new Pokemon.

Don't mistake carrying over a select few concepts for "having a general outline of the future."

I say general because I doubt they have the exact specific region layout or Pokemon lined up, but as far as what they want to accomplish in the meta narrative? I mean, Diamond and Pearl start off by calling back to Radio Tower signals from Team Rocket in Gen II. I think Masuda is somebody who likes weaving lore and setting things up. In that case, I think he was working off of what had already happened as a way to further evolve old Pokemon, but it's that mindset along with his embracing of multiple timelines for 3DS that leads me to believe he is someone who plans ahead.

I haven't argued for that? I think you have me confused for someone else. +/- specifically mention new Pokemon so I don't think it is at all related to Kanto, although I could easily be wrong if it has an updated roster with new Pokemon.
Oops. I assumed that, since you quoted RileyXY1 , you were agreeing with Defiant that Game Freak could break the pattern of introducing new Pokémon and returning to a previous region being counted as a new generation on the Switch (that's what Riley was trying to debunk). Sorry about that.

@Defiant: Even though I responded to the wrong person, the points of my previous post still stand: just because the patterns of what defines a new generation can be broken doesn't mean they should. Having us go back to Kanto with no new Pokémon would really only please the Kanto fans, and even then the purists would only be satisfied if they stuck with only the original 151 available (at least for the main game). I know Game Freak said not to expect anything as big as Breath of the Wild, but having Game Freak's console debut being a Kanto game with no new Pokémon and the possible risk of being limited to the original roster to appeal to purists? That would not be good idea for Game Freak to risk, regardless of the prospect of a new story. They'd at least have to have something new with Kanto like regional variants or something along the lines of the Battle Frontier or PWT to get the attention of more than just the nostalgia crowd.

Granted, Kanto Switch could work out just fine, but Game Freak would need more than just the prospect of a story change to justify it being the debut console games. I'm probably just being paranoid though. :cautious:

Hmmm...I would think they would've done that long ago, seeing as how Ash's hat was programmed into the game even in S/M.

It was never proven fake
Generally, the only things that can prove a leak to be fake are confessions or official information. While it's true the +- leaker never confessed to be a fake, there have been multiple examples of official information contradicting +-'s claims-that is to say, pretty much the entirety of Gen 7 contradicted +-'s claims.
people can import past Pokemon, mainly from Pokemon X and Pokemon Y into the new game.
There's simply no way this statement makes sense when considering the numerous games released since XY.
  • It can't be the console-ORAS, SuMo, and USUM were all on the 3DS as well.
  • It can't be their popularity-XY has only sold 200,000 more units than SuMo, and has been out for longer.
  • It can't be because they had the newest Pokemon-both SuMo and USUM introduced new Pokemon after XY.
The only way this statement makes sense if if the person saying it thought that XY would be the last games before the next generation. And clearly, +- were not the next generation after XY. Therefore, they were proven false.

I don't really understand why the age of the Plus/Minus leak is considered the deciding factor whether it's fake or not? There's certainly much more in the leak that seems fake, especially this quote:

Whether or not you believe that Game Freak was designing as far ahead as Gen 8 at the time of XY's release, surely you have to admit that an employee that knew about games that far into the future should also know about the six games being released before then, especially considering ORAS was released that very year?
That's just one of many things that points to the Plus and Minus rumor being a big old phony. I agree with both you and @RileyXY1 on this. In all likelihood, anything that resembles these leaks are pure coincidence.
I don't know if you read my post(s) on page 164, but I explained why it's literally impossible to dismiss the Plus and Minus rumors as bogus fakes. They weren't made up and posted on 4 chan or some other "shady" site; they're more credible than any other rumor we have right now. I don't want to explain myself again, so just (please) go look at what I posted.

Last edited:
That's absolutely soul destroying :( Thanks for sharing though, I really didn't realise things were that bad.
Except the third version has never sold as much as the original... Besides, USUM is on track to over take Black 2 White 2 in sales, only being behind Pokemon Yellow.
Thats so sad to hear.. BW2 were amazing, well thought out sequels and USUM which were just a filler games, a rehash of SM with post game and a slightly different story, are close to beating the greatest "third version" in Pokemon history.. feels bad
It's not. Don't make the same mistake in believing that the first 7 million units means the games are selling fast. SM sold over 90% of today's total in 2016 only. At this point, they're not going to beat B2W2, which sold 8.5 million.

Last edited:
Confessions don't even really work to prove a fake, because somebody 'confessed' to having faked the Gen 5 starter final evolutions way back in the day, and that confession ended up being a fake, with those evolutions being real (GOD I remember how disappointed I was at first, it took me a while to get used to the Gen 5 starter evolutions haha)

Confessions with pretty clear evidence though (like the artist who did the platypus posting concept sketches) are a lot more reasonable. I think its important to not write everything off right away, but to definitely give more consideration to things that are more reasonable/have more evidence to back them up (while also understanding that with no conclusive evidence to write them off with, we can't shut people down for bringing them up)

It's not. Don't make the same mistake in believing that the first 7 million units means the games are selling fast. SM sold over 90% of today's total in 2016 only.
Wow, reading this made me feel like Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon are totally dead. It's felt like a year has passed since they were released, but it hasn't even been half a year. Personally, these games feel shallower than X and Y for some reason. I feel like it's the lack of a rewarding battle facility, even though I don't even really 100% them. By rewarding, I mean that you get a stamp/statue/etc., not really items. Really, there's not much reason to get high streaks on the Battle Tree anymore, and the Battle Agency was badly executed for solo play (coming from someone who actually cleared it with people from Reddit).

Also, in case anyone cares I'll be off the forum for a few days in order to work on some stuff, but I'll come back and analyze everything that's been posted after this post once I get the chance to. So, just don't anticipate me commenting on (evidence) lacking comments for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom