• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was unable to watch the stream, but I'll hunt down a vid later.

dam the site is now slow af.
i think we might another trailer for the movie tho, we only saw zeraora for 2 seconds and nothing about the story.

Here's something I don't get. The movies have gone back to Kanto/Johto instead of "following tradition" by being in Alola and I've hardly seen any complaints. Even though they're obviously separate from the games, the older veterans that still keep up with the anime side of things could have easily had a massive salt party about the movies going back to Kanto. But yet, I haven't seen such reactions.

In the grand scheme of things, if Game Freak feels that it's safe to go back to Kanto and have something up their sleeve to make it work, then by all means let them work their magic and don't worry so much about it.

Honestly, I think the lack of outcry about the movies is because the majority of older veterans gave up on the anime a long time ago. Even those who stick around can probably admit that they're either sick of Ash or that the anime could do pretty much anything and they'd just shrug. I know I could.

About the only thing I can think of that would actually shake things up is a Digimon crossover, and... that would be totally insane but also probably really entertaining somehow. Can you imagine how much people would flip out then? XD

The amount of hyperbole in this thread is astonishing. Stop looking at two extremes and pretending there is nothing in between, and better yet, stop speaking for lapsed players or kids. None of us are marketing experts.

The "issues" with returning to Kanto are unrelated to the timing. Suffice to say that the return will happen eventually whether you like it or not. It's fine to just say "I want a new generation now" and leave it at that.

It's really not that, though. =/ I mean I'd love a new generation now, but I'm not going to flip shit if we don't get it yet. Just express disappointment, because I feel like the Switch debut is wasted on a remake that would have to do a balancing act between innovation and nostalgia loyalty to appeal to the majority of fans- that's a difficult position to put a game in and Game Freak would have to do the greatest trick of the century to pull it off.

Basically...
If Kanto gets revamped too drastically, it alienates older players.
If it doesn't get revamped enough, it bores the rest of them to death.

Sure, there may be a middle ground, but you can't tell me that it's easy to get there.

I wouldn't mind a Kanto revisit, but I feel like that "first home console Pokemon game" slot puts a lot of pressure on it to stand out whereas coming second wouldn't put those high expectations on it. The timing really does make a difference of where the bar is set. Maybe some people are indifferent to that, but what I see is a marketing opportunity to really come out and make a statement but choosing to take that opportunity with a risky venture.

Best comparison I can think of is it's like if an upcoming musician/songwriter with an amazing singing voice and incredible lyrics... decided that for their first major performance, they were going to do a cover of their favorite song by another artist, and put their own little spin on it. They have their own incredible talent that could easily win the crowd, but they're going to risk screwing it up by singing a familiar song in a way that may not appeal to their audience?

That's the kind of make-or-break opportunity being given and while Pokemon wouldn't take a heavy blow from it because it is Pokemon, it still feels like failing to take the opportunity given and making the most of it in the safest way possible. Just from a marketing standpoint, it's not how I'd go about it, because you could do so much more and so much better with something new.

=/ Seriously, I'm not salty about a Kanto return at all- I fully expect it to come sooner rather than later. I've just been trying to express that it's a big opportunity to make a strong first "home console" game and.... revisiting Kanto does not feel like it's putting their best foot forward.

--------------------------------

In other news- glad Zeraora's finally out of the bag. XD

Zeraora reveal. Sail on lads, sail on.

Jeez, this is the last time I try logging in and putting in my 2 cents within seconds after major news drops.

and now we have even more fans and credible sources debating between 2018 and 2019 for the release after that Zeraora reveal lol Because we are in such unfamiliar territory, we really cant examine previous patterns. Anything could happen at this stage. Realistically at this stage, the merch reveals and patterns are our only ensured data we can look at now.

Volcanion was revealed in December of 2015. If Gen 8 is coming this year than Zeraora would have been revealed much earlier.
Zeraora could have been held back due to movie promotion, though.

But I gotta admit, with the timing of things, I am starting to wonder if we're not landing in 2019 after all. Hopefully it's just going to be an eventful year packed with news. I'd love that. =D

Ok, you know what? I think it's time I slam my foot down and be a bitch for once.

People, can we PLEASE for the love of Zeraora STOP ARGUING about 2018 VS 2019? Zeraora being revealed in April doesn't mean shit when we got multiple credible "leakers" And webmasters hinting at 2018. Just, stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom