• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I pridicted that, popular in Japan, a bomb in the us. It's just not a very engaging game. Yokai-Watch doesn't appeal to those of us in the us due to how passive the game play is.
I remember playing the demos, and got a sort of FF12-kind of vibe to the combat system. Not to mention, Yo-kai is a characteristically Japanese tradition so of course it's bigger in Japan. (Not unlike how FPS games are bigger in the US)

Even that may take some time, from what I can find the 3rd Release isn't even in the West yet, and if Yokai-Watch for the Switch is the 4th Release that could take a while to get around to, if they even bother, though I imagine they will…eventually, as they're supposedly nearing the second anniversary of the games release without a peep about Localisations, and it's probably worth noting that the sales of the games didn't fair too well in the first place though some express hope the Anime's popularity would encourage them to get along with it, but from what I can find, in the USA Yokai-Watch as a franchise was a bomb and maybe even a dud one at that.

I actually really enjoyed Yokai especially with the huge focus Japanese mythology and design of the monsters, its a fairly simple concept but its fun. Pokemon is fairly passive compared to the average JRPG, so for me its another take at your own pace JRPG you can play on a bus or train and enjoy a few hours here and there. I was heavily sceptical of the game at first, but it surprised me. I know in Japan, the series is steadily doing well, it seems to be getting way more focus than Digimon has been getting lately lol

I do think there's going to be something announced before or after the Golden Week. Holiday or not, why would they miss an opportunity to advertise to kids - especially when they have Children's Day?

hello guys i m back from long time because here this is sant george holydays here and this i have much work and thats why be busy but along that time i was thinking in something:

I'd like a really good story that can justify being dialogue heavy. Sun and Moon was a decent step in that direction, but the stories weren't gripping enough and it ended up being a little boring. I liked the characters of SUMO, but the story itself lacked pretty much any amount of excitement or intensity.

I want a game that feels like it was made for me, an almost 22 year old man. Not dark, edgy, or mature in any kind of graphic way, but just make the story and characters a little more complex. Throw in a little ambiguity, some good twists. I just want something more than "go beat the gyms, beat the evil corporation/gang, stop them from doing bad things. Something that the youth can still grasp, but later on, they can come back to it and find the same, or even more, appreciation for it. Alternatively, or additionally, if they can just make the story really emotional, it can still get away with being completely average. I give bonus points to stories that get a significant emotional reaction out of me. I'm a little more interested in Pokemon for the story of the games, than the actual competitive end game, as weird as that might seem.

As far as game play, I'm pretty content with how things are. I don't feel like they need to change or add a whole lot, but so far I've been pretty happy with the new things Nintendo has added over the years to the games. I'd like more battle facilities than just a Battle Tower, and more player freedom to engage with the world as we see fit (meaning exploration and side quests and stuff).

I think it’s interesting that the fan base is so split on this issue. I see a lot of people clamoring for this, and meanwhile I’m furiously tapping A to get trough the slog of dialogue in my Ultra Sun playthrough. When I replay Gen I and II, I notice there is very little mandatory dialogue. I love that feel.

For me, Pokémon has always been about “we made this fun world. Go and delve into it as much as you want.” And Gen VI and VII have both kept that, but they’ve added a lot of “look at our fun world! Do this. And this. You want to do that? Wait until you do this.” I just want to catch ‘em all, dammit. I don’t care about Malasadas.

I’m not saying my way is right and Gen VIII should have bare bones dialogue, but I think it’s interesting that Pokémon has such different fan bases.

but I think the key is to keep the long dialogue meaningful, as in, have it worth reading and have it engaging.

If they have really good lore, like I think the Kyogre/Groudon stuff is, then the long dialogue can be really interesting.

But when it's just bullshit about nothing important, then you just spam A and fail to care.

Hopefully the bring in some writers to get it right, cos while it needs to appeal for kids, a core title on a new platform will attract shitloads of adults, we like some meat.

It often takes time to get used to new things, so completely lacking what people already like the series like is utter failure in game design. As such, it is definitely something they should never do again unless their desire is to push people away (although to be fair, with what Masuda said last Gen about why the Frontier wasn't in OR/AS I'm not entirely certain that isn't their - or at least his - goal).

Including new Pokémon (of which there should realistically always be at least 100 and ideally 150+, not including any Formes), there should never be less than half the National Dex to try to make sure as many existing players are happy as reasonably possible while also not overwhelming new players as much as they could.

After a lifetime associated with portable consoles, the canonical pokemon will take the leap to a table with its eighth generation. game freak and the pokemon company are rethinking the saga to surprise with new mechanics, either in 2018 or later.

Okay,now this is where the results for the typing are in.The Grass starter should be advantageous to Ghost,so Dark or arguably Ghost.The Fire Starter should be advantageous to Dark,so either Bug,Fighting or Fairy.Water should be advantageous to Fairy,so either Steel or Poison.(Remember the double type advantage rule?Well it isn't too useful now,but if we learn ONE starter's typing then we could maybe determine another one's.)

I'm not finished yet.It is known that the Kalos and Alola starters represent a typical RPG character.

Chestnaught=Knight/Paladin

Delphox=Mage/Wizard

Greninja=Thief/Rogue/Assassin/Ninja

Decidueye=Archer/Ranger

Incineroar=Monk/Martial Artist

Primarina=Priest/Healer

So the ones remaining for Gen 8 are:

Warrior / Fighter: The melee hack-and-slash class that is often the hero of the game.

Knight / Paladin: A class clad in heavy armor, made to absorb all that enemies dish out.

Barbarian / Berzerker: The big guy with an equally big weapon, used to smash enemies.

Monk / Martial Artist: A melee class that forgoes weapons for their powerful fists and martial arts.

Archer / Ranger: The ranged class with bows or guns. This role can also be taken by the Rogue or Hunter classes.

Thief / Rogue / Assassin/ Ninja: The sneaky bandit with itchy fingers and a nose for treasure, and wields a mean dagger.

Priest / Healer: The class who makes sure the party survives the encounter with their heals and revives.

Mage / Wizard: The class with the spells to burn, freeze, electrify, or just make enemies disappear.

Summoner / Necromancer / Druid: Minions galore with the summoning powers of this class.

Gee, I never realized that! Ayway, with all the talk lately on pokemon generations, I was thinking about what they meant to me, like how I defined them, or whatever. I guess it's mostly a fan term, and there's probably a bunch that goes into the meaning of it, but to me, it's really about new pokemon, especially the starters. Like, every generation so far has had starters, some pokemon, and the mythicals or legends.
Gen 1 Bulbasaur to Mew, with no new pokemon in yellow
Gen 2 Chicorita to Celebi, with no new pokemon in crystal
Gen 3 Treeco to Deoxys, with no new pokemon in emerald or fr/lg
Gen 4 Turtwig to Arceus, with no new pokemon in platinum or hg/ss
Gen 5 Snivy to Genesect, with no new pokemon in bw2
Gen 6 Chespin to Volcanion with no new pokemon in as/or
Gen 7 Rowlet to Zeraora
But then ultra sun and moon added 5 new mythicals or ultra beasts, but no regular pokemon or starters, so it was kind of like the same batch anyway, even though they held a few back for the sequels? And even though DP and BW, and XY and SM were on the same systems, they both had new starters, and regular pokemon with mythicals, even though they were close in graphics and stuff. That's the way I like to think of it, like starters are the start of something new? So if the switch game is a reboot or sequel, if it has new starters and all it could still be a new gen. I'd like more different stuff too, though.

hello guys i m back from long time because here this is sant george holydays here and this i have much work and thats why be busy but along that time i was thinking in something:

I'd like a really good story that can justify being dialogue heavy. Sun and Moon was a decent step in that direction, but the stories weren't gripping enough and it ended up being a little boring. I liked the characters of SUMO, but the story itself lacked pretty much any amount of excitement or intensity.

I want a game that feels like it was made for me, an almost 22 year old man. Not dark, edgy, or mature in any kind of graphic way, but just make the story and characters a little more complex. Throw in a little ambiguity, some good twists. I just want something more than "go beat the gyms, beat the evil corporation/gang, stop them from doing bad things. Something that the youth can still grasp, but later on, they can come back to it and find the same, or even more, appreciation for it. Alternatively, or additionally, if they can just make the story really emotional, it can still get away with being completely average. I give bonus points to stories that get a significant emotional reaction out of me. I'm a little more interested in Pokemon for the story of the games, than the actual competitive end game, as weird as that might seem.

As far as game play, I'm pretty content with how things are. I don't feel like they need to change or add a whole lot, but so far I've been pretty happy with the new things Nintendo has added over the years to the games. I'd like more battle facilities than just a Battle Tower, and more player freedom to engage with the world as we see fit (meaning exploration and side quests and stuff).

I think it’s interesting that the fan base is so split on this issue. I see a lot of people clamoring for this, and meanwhile I’m furiously tapping A to get trough the slog of dialogue in my Ultra Sun playthrough. When I replay Gen I and II, I notice there is very little mandatory dialogue. I love that feel.

For me, Pokémon has always been about “we made this fun world. Go and delve into it as much as you want.” And Gen VI and VII have both kept that, but they’ve added a lot of “look at our fun world! Do this. And this. You want to do that? Wait until you do this.” I just want to catch ‘em all, dammit. I don’t care about Malasadas.

I’m not saying my way is right and Gen VIII should have bare bones dialogue, but I think it’s interesting that Pokémon has such different fan bases.

but I think the key is to keep the long dialogue meaningful, as in, have it worth reading and have it engaging.

If they have really good lore, like I think the Kyogre/Groudon stuff is, then the long dialogue can be really interesting.

But when it's just bullshit about nothing important, then you just spam A and fail to care.

Hopefully the bring in some writers to get it right, cos while it needs to appeal for kids, a core title on a new platform will attract shitloads of adults, we like some meat.

It often takes time to get used to new things, so completely lacking what people already like the series like is utter failure in game design. As such, it is definitely something they should never do again unless their desire is to push people away (although to be fair, with what Masuda said last Gen about why the Frontier wasn't in OR/AS I'm not entirely certain that isn't their - or at least his - goal).

Including new Pokémon (of which there should realistically always be at least 100 and ideally 150+, not including any Formes), there should never be less than half the National Dex to try to make sure as many existing players are happy as reasonably possible while also not overwhelming new players as much as they could.

After a lifetime associated with portable consoles, the canonical pokemon will take the leap to a table with its eighth generation. game freak and the pokemon company are rethinking the saga to surprise with new mechanics, either in 2018 or later.

Okay,now this is where the results for the typing are in.The Grass starter should be advantageous to Ghost,so Dark or arguably Ghost.The Fire Starter should be advantageous to Dark,so either Bug,Fighting or Fairy.Water should be advantageous to Fairy,so either Steel or Poison.(Remember the double type advantage rule?Well it isn't too useful now,but if we learn ONE starter's typing then we could maybe determine another one's.)

I'm not finished yet.It is known that the Kalos and Alola starters represent a typical RPG character.

Chestnaught=Knight/Paladin

Delphox=Mage/Wizard

Greninja=Thief/Rogue/Assassin/Ninja

Decidueye=Archer/Ranger

Incineroar=Monk/Martial Artist

Primarina=Priest/Healer

So the ones remaining for Gen 8 are:

Warrior / Fighter: The melee hack-and-slash class that is often the hero of the game.

Knight / Paladin: A class clad in heavy armor, made to absorb all that enemies dish out.

Barbarian / Berzerker: The big guy with an equally big weapon, used to smash enemies.

Monk / Martial Artist: A melee class that forgoes weapons for their powerful fists and martial arts.

Archer / Ranger: The ranged class with bows or guns. This role can also be taken by the Rogue or Hunter classes.

Thief / Rogue / Assassin/ Ninja: The sneaky bandit with itchy fingers and a nose for treasure, and wields a mean dagger.

Priest / Healer: The class who makes sure the party survives the encounter with their heals and revives.

Mage / Wizard: The class with the spells to burn, freeze, electrify, or just make enemies disappear.

Summoner / Necromancer / Druid: Minions galore with the summoning powers of this class.
Was it you that wrote that or did you copy it from somewhere?

Thanks for digging that up. I still think that theory is flawed as decidueye's ghost type is not super effective again chesnaught's fighting type. But whatever.
He says in the comments it's immune to it so it still counts.

I don't know why people are expecting drastic changes. Didn't Masuda tell us not keep our hopes up? I think that the games are fine the way they are.

i dont wrote all that thing but for me be interesting put in thread because people speculatues so much about pokemon its a weapon or that starter its a wizard and thats why i put that nothing less its from reddit and normally in reddit speculations thread are more less decent than this place trust me the level of speculating in this place far i know its more strong than reddit i hope dont broke any rule because i dont want any problem in case i did something wrong let me know for in future dont repeat because its well know copy and paste something people can concieve as bad faith but in this case it is not because i gathered interesting comment in reddit thread because i want know opinions of each other
you can see level english its different than normally comment something

-Blastoise (best stats sp.def, def)
-Lapras (best stats HP, equal physica attack and sp. attack, sp. def)

a water type hint? surf?tournament? both are slow 78 and 60 speed.

the last time we saw both in the anime was the Orange Islands?
a hint for Kanto remakes? maybe a game done like ash adventure in the anime was+ the extra battles we missed.

does anyone think thats a little to soon?2016 we had sun and moon, I would think that 2019 would be that year but after the movie I dont know what to think? theretically if they would show us the new bunch of new starters and 3 extra new pokemon now and give us a date of the new games in 2019, then I would be happy and ready for more concrete speculation.

Now we only have 7 generations and more questions then answers... especially that 2019 also could be the year of gen 4 remakes and there are rumors to Kanto remakes which would make sense if Vensuaur and Blastoise get their secondary mega forms, if we get the alolan form in the safari zone and maybe if we get some new megas or z-moves for I generation pokemon, also could imgine the gyms redone... but Whats more probably? Or Gen 4 remakes where we get the Johto starters? we did get in the anime that Johto starters were there, but we dont know for sure...
rather would want gen 4 remakes there.
But what will come first gen 8 or remakes? if they want to change a lot of things in-game like abilities and moves then better gen 8 and then do gen 4 remakes... (this way many old pokemon may get new moves and old may get changed, water compaction and heatproof may get a major buff to boost both def and sp.def stats and reduce damage the same way )

could a dark/ice female Pinguin focused on hp, defense and with queenly majesty work in the meta game?
thats my hopes

who says all can't become warriors?
the first could be grass/fairy get a sword, be a druid and mage in one like Shanara,
but would need to be faster then many fire types and get right abilities and moves for protection and offense.
the second could be "necromancer"/ghost motive also fast but maybe focused also on alchemy, type changing, maybe healing could be a factor, or a better "substitute" user that cuold do more damage?
and last could have a tanky fire/steel warrior , always wanted a minotaur, roman warrior, o barbarrian with hammer, ax and shield.
But would need to have good physical and special bulk paired with speed and ability to be in a better niche then Heatran.
If its faster then Incineroar and maybe even then Blaziken.

Last edited:
So how would you guys feel if the games came out late 2019?

Like I'm talking November 2019, since we know generations have a 3 year gap (and november 2018 is only two years since sm) and before you say the anime is going to fast, we still have rainbow rocket to delve into if they wanted, and hell I could think of an entire year long season based on that alone.

Altough this generation feels so empty I want to get out of it too, it doesn't have the same feel gen 6 had, I just can't explain it. Gen 6 felt more alive but gen 7 felt dead a few months after sm came out. So I want to move into gen 8 as much as the next guy but 2 years might be too soon.

I would be happy because that gives me more time to save for the Switch and maybe it will even get a price reduction in the meantime. Alas, I highly doubt they would take so long to release a Pokemon game when Nintendo wants to sell more Switchs as soon as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom