• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder, if they were to make an Arctic or Antarctic region, could we get a game with the drastic days/nights or would that hinder gameplay too much? We've already had a game that was night during the day, so maybe having versions that are day/night at different times of the year would be something. Like bringing back seasons in a way.

Personally not crazy about the idea but talk of a snowy region made me think of it.

I’m trying not to let the fact that I am Scottish lead to some bias here but I think I’m failing.

I don’t really understand the suggestions for a region based specifically on England. The majority of England is mild, green countryside. While the differences in identity between all the major cities are clear to British people, to non Brits I think they would be difficult to distinguish between, with the exception of London and possibly York.

However, a region based on the entire United Kingdom could be really fantastic. Scotland’s rugged wilderness and vast, rich history of myth and legend would be an amazing thing to incorporate into the Pokémon world. With Edinburgh and London you have two extremely different UK capital cities which in Pokéworld form would add real variety and flavour to a region. There could be an island off the mainland of the region based on Northern Ireland, or Ireland as a whole really since Pokémon can get away with that sort of discrepancy. The influence of Wales is a little harder to put my finger on but I’m thinking maybe a small corner of the mainland region dedicated to Dragon trainers.

A region based exclusively on England would break my heart, considering the potential that a UK region has (and yes, my obvious bias).

I think London and Scotland are the only locations people from the rest of the world really know about the UK, those are certainly the only two areas I would really recognize. I think they would probably want to include the entire UK if they were to do a region based on that area of the world, it would be a lot more diverse that way.

I wonder, if they were to make an Arctic or Antarctic region, could we get a game with the drastic days/nights or would that hinder gameplay too much? We've already had a game that was night during the day, so maybe having versions that are day/night at different times of the year would be something. Like bringing back seasons in a way.
They’ve done something like this before, with different Pokémon appearing at different times throughout the day. That would be cool to bring back

Look what a great job they've done. I wanna see some of these in the future...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=533&v=o4tt-UNc1g4

I definitely want to see Bomseel (or as the video called it, "Bomseeker") make its way to future games in some shape or form, preferably with the Water/Fire dual typing intact. If the bomb theme is too violent with Game Freak, they could always go the more classic-cartoon route of dynamite. I really just want the type combination not be wasted on a mythical that Game Freak never really took advantage of.

Changing the bomb to dynamite ruins the point of the design. It's supposed to look like a sea lion doing tricks with a ball.

MAIN series... no it is NOT
My apologies I just went off people saying there was a main series RPG going to switch. I was shocked when I saw the main series game not arriving (if not delayed) until Q4 2019.

Still happy for “Let”s Go” I’ll pre-order both asap but I am less excited now...

L x

I definitely want to see Bomseel (or as the video called it, "Bomseeker") make its way to future games in some shape or form, preferably with the Water/Fire dual typing intact. If the bomb theme is too violent with Game Freak, they could always go the more classic-cartoon route of dynamite. I really just want the type combination not be wasted on a mythical that Game Freak never really took advantage of.

Much as I like Bomseel and would like to see its design revived, I think the Fire/Water combination is actually perfectly suited to a barely-used Mythical Pokémon. I kinda just love the idea that “a Fire/Water-type Pokémon” is the Pokémon world’s equivalent of Bigfoot or the Loch Ness monster. It’s easily the kind of thing you could imagine people in that world dreaming of and speculating about (just like the fandom has), and there are lots of supposed sightings of this strange, contradictory creature, but it’s so rare and fleeting that nobody has been able to prove its existence (well, until the player came along, anyway).

Of course, as always, gameplay takes precedence over story, so it doesn’t make sense to keep the Fire/Water combination on permanent lock when there are still other ways in which they could explore it. I just find it slightly regrettable that doing so would inevitably take away a bit of Volcanion’s charm. Ah well.

Changing the bomb to dynamite ruins the point of the design. It's supposed to look like a sea lion doing tricks with a ball.
...You're right. I was so caught up in the censorship aspect that I forget that a seal playing with a dynamite stick wold ruin the aesthetic and be considered too random. Yet again, we do have Blacephalon, so I should have figured that this wouldn't be something Game Freak would allow to be censored.

Perhaps it could keep the "bomb" look/theme, but have the actual object be some sort of comet or spherical molten-rock? Now that I think about it, its sprite does look like it's playing with some sort of flaming rock/meteor rather than a proper bomb. Perhaps my fears were unfounded after all.

Much as I like Bomseel and would like to see its design revived, I think the Fire/Water combination is actually perfectly suited to a barely-used Mythical Pokémon. I kinda just love the idea that “a Fire/Water-type Pokémon” is the Pokémon world’s equivalent of Bigfoot or the Loch Ness monster. It’s easily the kind of thing you could imagine people in that world dreaming of and speculating about (just like the fandom has), and there are lots of supposed sightings of this strange, contradictory creature, but it’s so rare and fleeting that nobody has been able to prove its existence (well, until the player came along, anyway).

Of course, as always, gameplay takes precedence over story, so it doesn’t make sense to keep the Fire/Water combination on permanent lock when there are still other ways in which they could explore it. I just find it slightly regrettable that doing so would inevitably take away a bit of Volcanion’s charm. Ah well.
I can kind of see where you are going with this. However, I don't think it's typing is primarily why people seek it out in-universe. IIRC, it actually has something to do with Volcanion's anatomy (some supernatural organ to be specific) or its reputation as a "nation building" Pokémon.

...You're right. I was so caught up in the censorship aspect that I forget that a seal playing with a dynamite stick wold ruin the aesthetic and be considered too random. Yet again, we do have Blacephalon, so I should have figured that this wouldn't be something Game Freak would allow to be censored.

Perhaps it could keep the "bomb" look/theme, but have the actual object be some sort of comet or spherical molten-rock? Now that I think about it, its sprite does look like it's playing with some sort of flaming rock/meteor rather than a proper bomb. Perhaps my fears were unfounded after all.

I can kind of see where you are going with this. However, I don't think it's typing is primarily why people seek it out in-universe. IIRC, it actually has something to do with Volcanion's anatomy (some supernatural organ to be specific) or its reputation as a "nation building" Pokémon.
Personally, I find Bombseel's design a tad underwhelming, but it definitely could have potential. I imagine it may have been cut for not making sense in its environment, though, as how would it be able to bounce that molten ball around near water? If it got reworked, I could see it winding up with a fire or fire/rock-type and given the ability to swim through lava rather than water.

I honestly don't really care what the next region will be based on, but for some reason, a U.K.-like region doesn't really thrill me. However, I really did like how pleasant and calm Kalos is, so if Game Freak can pull off the same kind of atmosphere it'd be great.

As for a colder, snowy region... the idea doesn't really thrill me either. It just feels like too much white on the screen for me. Then again, southern California literally gets no snow unless you actively seek it on mountains, so I guess I don't understand the appeal of snow and a wintry wonderland; I see snow as something you have to deal with as a result of one's location instead of something to enjoy.

However, I'm really liking the concept of a Canadian region for some reason, since it just feels so nicely plain (meant to be taken as a compliment, in case it doesn't seem like such).

Well, something that Masuda said in an interview with Eurogamer worries me. He said something along the lines that if the Let's Go games sell well, he will merge them with the main series games. The last thing we need are the main series Pokemon games becoming even more casualised. Even more of a reason for me to skip this entry.

Last edited:
I’m trying not to let the fact that I am Scottish lead to some bias here but I think I’m failing.

I don’t really understand the suggestions for a region based specifically on England. The majority of England is mild, green countryside. While the differences in identity between all the major cities are clear to British people, to non Brits I think they would be difficult to distinguish between, with the exception of London and possibly York.

However, a region based on the entire United Kingdom could be really fantastic. Scotland’s rugged wilderness and vast, rich history of myth and legend would be an amazing thing to incorporate into the Pokémon world. With Edinburgh and London you have two extremely different UK capital cities which in Pokéworld form would add real variety and flavour to a region. There could be an island off the mainland of the region based on Northern Ireland, or Ireland as a whole really since Pokémon can get away with that sort of discrepancy. The influence of Wales is a little harder to put my finger on but I’m thinking maybe a small corner of the mainland region dedicated to Dragon trainers.

A region based exclusively on England would break my heart, considering the potential that a UK region has (and yes, my obvious bias).
I find myself agreeing with you.

Well, something that Masuda said in an interview with Eurogamer worries me. He said something along the lines that if the Let's Go games sell well, he will merge them with the main series games. The last thing we need are the main series Pokemon games becoming even more casualised.
Not exactly. The interviewer asked him if in the future, there could be two series of pokemon games; let’s Go and the core series. Masuda replied that it’s a possibility if LGPE sell really well.

I’m with you though, i hope let’s Go is just a one-off.

Well, something that Masuda said in an interview with Eurogamer worries me. He said something along the lines that if the Let's Go games sell well, he will merge them with the main series games. The last thing we need are the main series Pokemon games becoming even more casualised.
Or maybe that would mean more difficulty options: Let's Go! Mode (Easy), Standard (Normal Difficulty), and Veteran (Hard Mode). It could also mean just implementing certain features like Pokémon following you or co-op play.

Yeah, I would also like to see that too actually. We have many regions with just one polar area, we definitely need more of those areas. Scandinavia is really beautiful, I didn't think of that when deciding what region I want to see next! :p
@noworry, what do you think? ;)

Or they can use Canada and connect to Unova.

Or maybe that would mean more difficulty options: Let's Go! Mode (Easy), Standard (Normal Difficulty), and Veteran (Hard Mode). It could also mean just implementing certain features like Pokémon following you or co-op play.
This is the kind of optimism we need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom