• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Older recurring characters from pre-D/P that we won't see again

Cybersai

Reaction score
Aside from the main cast, their families, and some villains (like Giovanni, Butch/Cassidy, etc.), there have been a lot of older recurring characters that have completely vanished in the show.

These are characters who appeared for more than one episode so they aren't filler characters. Unless the writers suddenly get nostalgic, its safe to say some (or all) of these characters will never appear again:

Todd
Duplica
Suzie (girl who gave Brock Vulpix)
Richie
Casey
Sakura
Aya
Harrison
Morrison
Tyson
Nicholai
Thatcher (kid with Plusle/Minun)
Shauna
All Team Aqua/Magma characters since they disbanded
Brody (magma spy)
Spoink
The PMC
Prof. Elm
Prof. Birch (aside from possible flashbacks)
Macy
Most previous movie characters
Most older Gym leaders aside from flashback cameos
All AG rival coordinators except for Drew/Harley/Solidad
Vivian
Lillian
Scott from the Battle Frontier
Gary's cheerleaders (lol, whatever happened to them?)

I'm not going to put Jigglypuff there, since it could pop up again at some point even if its been gone for awhile.

I also won't put Team Rocket members there since its always possible we might see them again. I'm wondering if the writers forgot about Domino though, she hasn't been mentioned at all since her first appearance, has she? They seem to remember the other Rocket agents but not her.

Anyway, when you look at this list it actually brings back memories of some of these older characters and how the writers just phased them out of the anime. Makes me wonder what's going to have to the D/P recurring characters like Conway/Holly/Aoi when this saga ends.

Jigglypuff? Well, you might as well put it on the list, I mean, it only showed up in AG once (didn't see that episode either, so in my mind, it was already looooong gone)... but he used to appear a lot, I suppose.

And Gary's cheerleaders? He "matured" and doesn't need them anymore (got rid of them) lol.

Wouldn't expect to see Team Aqua/Magma members again, they're kinda Hoenn exclusive.

I kinda thought Ritchie might appear again, he was a somewhat important rival (though not so popular or anything). I mean he did appear in the Whirl Islands...then again that was a while ago.

I guess Ash's league rivals usually just fade away.

Last edited:
Well, I'm betting that one of Ash's old league rivals will become his main rival in the Shinou league (aside from Paul), instead of introducing a new one. This means that I guess we'll prolly see either Harrisson/Morrisson/Tyson in the Sinnoh league.

The reason for this is that DP has been full of flashbacks and old peeps returning (Latest episode: Juan/Atsuo), as well as Conway in the summer school arc etc...

I like Duplica, Casey and Sakura... It's sad they didn't get to appear more back then
But there's no chance to see them again- they had perfect oppurtunity to bring back older characters but didn't (Snap being released to the Wii - Todd, Electivire - Casey, Kanto characters in BF, an episode about 3 Swinub and hot spring - they could use these characters from Johto)

I hope at least Jiggly will come back
I think it's stupid Jiggly didn't get to see a Contest
I can totally see Dawn get it and teach it how to use Sing as an attack instead of put everyone to sleep and it'll probably like to perform and battle to a whole audience that cheer it
(but I guess even if it will return and like Contests... they probably won't let Dawn get a randon generation 1 Pokémon that isn't related to generation 4)

Well, I'm betting that one of Ash's old league rivals will become his main rival in the Shinou league (aside from Paul), instead of introducing a new one. This means that I guess we'll prolly see either Harrisson/Morrisson/Tyson in the Sinnoh league.

The reason for this is that DP has been full of flashbacks and old peeps returning (Latest episode: Juan/Atsuo), as well as Conway in the summer school arc etc...

Maybe he can get a little vengeance on Harrisson for his 'win' and the could go for Tyson and his 'win'

Is it safe to say that their time is over? Maybe that's why we're not seeing them again, because the writers have exhausted their purpose in the show?

Is it safe to say that their time is over? Maybe that's why we're not seeing them again, because the writers have exhausted their purpose in the show?

For most of them, yes. But I had always hoped for a grand tournament held...somewhere, in which all his rivals at other tournaments return and they all battle. Then Ash would win and etc.

I thought about that, but then Marina oddly made some cameos, so I dunno.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Vivian and Lillian again... Marion's relationship with them still has yet to be confirmed and we unexpectedly did see Vivian make a return for the Kanto Grand Festival. Of course, I would love to see Marion die in a tragic stage accident and for Lillian to take her place... :>

You can never really tell with this show (hi there, Marina), but for the forseeable future it's probably safe to say most of those characters are gone. I still want to see Ash whoop Richie's ass, though.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Vivian and Lillian again... Marion's relationship with them still has yet to be confirmed and we unexpectedly did see Vivian make a return for the Kanto Grand Festival. Of course, I would love to see Marion die in a tragic stage accident and for Lillian to take her place... :>

True, but I figured Vivian returned because it was still May's story arc. In the Kanto GF, Vivian even says, "I've been watching May and Drew since their Hoenn days."

Vivian/Lillian don't know Dawn and have nothing to do with her story, so I don't think they'll appear again.

I liked how President Goodshow has appeared at all 3 leagues though, and the Magikarp salesman has been in every season. I bet Mr. Goodshow will be at the Sinnoh league.

this begs an interesting question: what happens when one of Pokemon's numerous NPC-like characters dies, or even just quits their position with no replacement available (you know Vivian can't replace her so easily when she's got the Kantou circuit to deal with)? Come to think of it, I wonder how impractical a lot of RPGs would be if such a thing could actually happen to NPCs. Seriously, those guys are like place-markers that keep all balance in the world. XD It'd be a sad day for me if I almost died and used up all my supplies from a serious boss battle, and the inn-keeper suddenly up and quit before I had a chance to rest there, or I couldn't even progress the story because said boss character went out. TT

You can never really tell with this show (hi there, Marina), but for the forseeable future it's probably safe to say most of those characters are gone. I still want to see Ash whoop Richie's ass, though.

Thank goodness I'm not the only one who wants to see Ash kick the crap out of Richie and his crap team. The writers completely robbed Ash of that match.

I know Georgio from A Date With Delcatty was a one-shot character, but I kinda wish they'd bring him back for a cameo or two! He seems like a Sinnoh kinda guy to me.

I honestly wouldn't count Brodie out. No one expected him to show up *after* the A/M plot, and he did, establishing himself as a freelance criminal now.

Yeah, but its been like 200 episodes almost now since he last appeared. That's so long.

You don't think we'll ever see Professor Elm or Birch again? I think we'll probably see them pop again through a cameo appearance...

I agree with most of your list except Todd (if they ever do a remake of Snap! or choose to use that style of game anymore).

I also have a feeling that we'll see Richie...he was a pretty important "side character".

I hope at least he shows up...I liked him.

You don't think we'll ever see Professor Elm or Birch again? I think we'll probably see them pop again through a cameo appearance...

Well maybe, but they're really not very important. Prof. Oak is a main character which is why we always see him, but the other two professors were just minor characters in their respective sagas.

Oh crap, I just remembered about Prof. Ivy. How could I have forgotten her? Heh, we'll never see her again either.

Well maybe, but they're really not very important. Prof. Oak is a main character which is why we always see him, but the other two professors were just minor characters in their respective sagas.

Oh crap, I just remembered about Prof. Ivy. How could I have forgotten her? Heh, we'll never see her again either.

Unless they finally decide to explain why Brock left prof. Ivy's lab in the first place.

It'd be a sad day for me if I almost died and used up all my supplies from a serious boss battle, and the inn-keeper suddenly up and quit before I had a chance to rest there, or I couldn't even progress the story because said boss character went out.

Sounds like what could happen in a Pokemon MMOG to make it more realistic.

I'd choose Oak over "Roll over!" Birch.

I'll be REALLY upset if we don't see Richie again...

If you watch the episode again it was during the time a filler character was worth a damn ... it was just one of those great memorable moments when they both promised each other to be masters.

Plus Richie has a Pikachu too, and the way he told the judges to wait for Ash...he needs to be seen again in some capacity as a Master or at least one of Ashes final opponents.

Although I have a strong feeling that Ash will be facing Cynthia in D/P with her appearing so mcuh

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom