• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

FAQ: PMD: Magnagate and the Infinite Labyrinth/Gates to Infinity Discussion Thread

Re: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Magnagate and the Infinite Labyrinth

I cannot put into words my sheer excitement for this game.

Good thing I'm getting a 3DS soon. It looks really good.

It looks like the personality test is still in. But that partner selection screen kind of worries me. I can't believe they'd reduce the amount of playable characters to just five. Unless they deliberately showed only those five Pokemon in the trailer.

Holy dag, Braviary and Kyurem are huge. It also looks like you won't have to click everywhere to move, either.

2z6hufp.png

This is the partner selection screen right? If so, I think we can confirm more than five starters.

After all, they wouldn't let you pick a partner of the same species right?

The graphics in that trailer looked really cool. I don't quite like having to start out as Pikachu, but I'll just go with it. It does look like it will be a lot of fun to play, so I'll be eager to hear more about this game.

Looks excellent. I'm glad the gameplay won't have any major overhauls. And it looks like you can evolve your starter / partner Pokemon before postgame, which is nice.

I hope I'll start as Axew. I don't like any of the Unova starters and I already played as Pikachu in Mystery Dungeon Blue.

2z6hufp.png

This is the partner selection screen right? If so, I think we can confirm more than five starters.

After all, they wouldn't let you pick a partner of the same species right?

Eeeh... it could be either the partner or character selection screen. I mean, with this little amount of starter Pokemon, a personality test wouldn't even be needed if you ask me. So maybe you just pick and choose whatever Pokemon you want to be. Hopefully that isn't the case, as the personality tests in the past MD games made them far more interesting. ...As well as the larger variety of starters, I should add. >.>

But! Hopefully they're just trying to keep info on this upcoming title to a minimum by only showing us the basic starters. I'll try not to get my hopes up too much regardless.

Who wants to bet more starter/partners will be DLC? :|

The graphics look sweet!

Although I won't be playing it, I'm pretty sure others will enjoy it. Looking forward to seeing more!

Man, I don't even care about the lack of a starter pokemon, this game looks excellent so far! The graphics are gorgeous, and (while I can't read Japanese) the story looks compelling at least. And in EYE BLINDING MAJESTIC 3D GLORIOUSNESS, too. That's good enough for me. But I still want more concrete stuff, like actual depth. Cause, you know, the WiiWare games had no depth at all. Granted, they were priced pretty low, but.

I'm a bit surprised they released the trailer so soon after revealing the game, but that's probably just because the game's coming out this year.

Something else, do you think that we will be forced to play as Pikachu, and be capable of choosing our partner? cause that'd really suck. Like, that's almost be enough for me to not get it.

Pikachu is pretty much the worst pokemon ever. Give us some goddamn variety, ChunSoft.

Finally, a new PMD game has been revealed, currently in the works. It's ready to be released in winter 2012 in Japanese Domestic Market. And luckily those elemental monkeys will not likely to be starter or partner Pokémon. And yes, Chunsoft managed to make an entirely full storyline instead of split storylines which was used by past 3 versions of PMD series, so there's no version-exclusives. But if player's team consists of Snivy and Tepig??? I think they will fight themselves because according to Chinese Zodiac, snakes should avoid pigs (or boars). Their final evo form, Serperior and Emboar, could make violent scenes similar to Zangoose and Seviper.

Pikachu is pretty much the worst pokemon ever. Give us some goddamn variety, ChunSoft.

Do you really want a Pikachu ripoff or other starters???

Last edited:

Earlier, the first images of this month's CoroCoro were revealed, showing the preview page for next month's issue. Here's the image:

http://serebii.net/corocoro11preview.jpg

As you can see, there are 3D models of Pikachu, Axew, Umbreon, Espeon, and Virizion. What this could be is anybody's guess, but I'm leaning towards Stadium 3 / a sequel to Colosseum or XD: Gales of Darkness, due to the Espeon and Umbreon in the image. Another possible game would be a 3D version of Mystery Dungeon.

What are your thoughts on this?

This PMD is going to be awesome! I can finally control Archeops and Zekrom! ^_^

It's so pretty!!! And I don't think we are required to play as Pikachu. The colorful screen looked like it was the ending of the quiz, but we'll need a translation to be sure. That being said, I am so excited for this game!

So the starters are Pikachu, Axew, Snivy, Tepig, and Oshawott? Bravo, Chunsoft, bravo! Get rid of all the Gen I - IV Starters but still keep in that annoying yellow rat? Bravo!

But seriously, what were they thinking? Is it really too much to ask for to have all the Starters, as well as Pikachu, Eevee, Munchlax, etc? Is that really too many Pokemon? Because that was never a problem with the other MD games.

Oh thank Arceus. I sold my copy of Sky a month ago. I'd been hoping for a PMD4 for a long time now (MD3 was on WiiWare, and I'm... not really all that disappointed it never got released worldwide)
And it looks amazing too, compared to the GBA graphics from 1/2 and the ugly bobble-head Pokémon in 3.

Only five choices to start with (and most players'll certainly want Axew for type advantage).
I was hoping Zorua would be a starter choice, but if they're easy to recruit that works too.

Magnagate is a neat use of AR, but what does it serve? Are there Pokémon and items you can only find in your cup/clock/globe/etc. or something?

Hm, actually, that Zorua is 100% certainly not a starter worries me. Zorua is the Riolu of Gen V in a way, so it not being included might mean the choices REALLY are just Pikachu/Axew/Starters...

Not to mention I'm surprised Axew suddenly has priority over Zorua. I expected it to be an starter choice, sure, but not that its popularity would grow so much through its anime promotion.

On the other had, Riolu wasn't in Time and Darkness either.

Good god is this game beautiful. The detail is great, and while the simplicity does show off at some points, I think this step is great. Also, the release date and the platform show that this is gonna be a bridge towards the next gen, and perhaps genesect's 3DS surprise...

Now that a trailer appeared and smoothed some things out I gotta admit, it's pretty interesting. They really went out of their way to make the 3D models and backgrounds as colorful and animated as they appeared in the previous MDs (but I'm happy they stuck with drawn face portraits since close-ups with the 3D models are just plain distracting).

Still, one of the main draws of the MD games was to have your absolute favorite starters (and one off extras) as your MC and Partner. Me not being the biggest fan of the present MC/Partner setup only deepens those "doesn't sit well with me" feelings but I'm willing to sit quietly on the fence and wait for more information before saying anything.

Interesting... according to Serebii we have to take a picture of ourselves with the 3DS to determine our starter this time. If that's the case then that WAS the partner selection screen which is weird since there's only five starters so far and unless they're going to let us have two pikachus or something, there should be one pokemon missing from the choices which would be your starter.

I'm pretty much waiting for a new Pokemon Ranger!

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom