• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BDSP Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

What? Let me give you two options. Having a light be switched on permanently, and giving you a light switch that you can use on your own free will. Which do you think will help more people?
Wouldn’t matter to those who don’t think the light should be there in the first place.

They can switch it off and pretend it doesn’t exist. Why remove options for everyone just because they don’t align with your taste? Just keep the Exp. All on if you want.
It's the same for disability ramps: you can just use the stairs.
Mars looks a bit too happy in that clip for an antagonist. Chibi style really isn't doing that scene any favors.
We can't have all the antagonists be nihilistic stoic people, now can we? I for one welcome this.

I'm pretty sure swiftfox isn't saying that he personally doesn't want the exp share toggle, but that he thinks that some people who criticize the lack of a toggle wouldn't necessarily be satisfied just by putting it back; that these people would think it shouldn't be included for fans who do want it. (The conversation traces back to his earlier comment that "Plenty of people were complaining about the EXP Share even when it was optional.")

But really, I think that's being a bit too pedantic- if someone wants to dictate how other people play a game when it doesn't affect their own gameplay, it's kind of a foregone conclusion that you can't make them happy. Alola might not be totally correct in saying "literally everyone" would be happy with the change, but I don't think a minority of players that logically can't be satisfied is really worth this much back-and-forth.

I'm starting to have doubts about that MIDI trumpet being an artistic choice, because it doesn't really match up with the style of the other tracks we've heard. Maybe the wild and trainer battle themes weren't quite finished when they sent out the preview footage? The gym battle theme is sounding absolutely epic.

Maybe the wild and trainer battle themes weren't quite finished when they sent out the preview footage?

That's kinda what I'd assumed. I think Shota Kageyama (the game's main composer) tweeted a while back saying that he's been really busy with multiple projects, too, so maybe BDSP's stuff took longer to get fully put together compared to the promotional videos? Just a theory.

At any rate, I guess "game footage not final" should be expanded to "game assets not final," although at any rate, I think it's unfortunate because those rough MIDI sounds left a bad impression for some.

these are the same games that show graveyards and emotional child abuse?
They also implied that Pokemon ownership can be taken as slavery in BW, and Hoenn's plot is a commentary on political issues in Japan. We have yet to see whether Ainu and Japanese interaction will be touched on yet in PLA but I can't rule it out yet. Considering all this and that pollution/climate change are the problem of our century, Game Freak should have no problem with a brief allusion to chemical plants.

... Back to BDSP: I miss the days when games were released as finished packages, but if they're willing to patch in better audio, maybe that's promising for the prospect of some good DLC. I would not be adverse to it... as long as they give me my Battle Frontier.

On a slightly more wholesome note, it's kinda cute seeing the comments on Twitter saying they're excited for BDSP because they haven't played Sinnoh before and this will be their first experience with it. Reminds me of when I was young and HGSS was coming out and it was a 100% brand new game to me because I'd never played GSC. I had vaguely heard that it was a remake but didn't really care much, was just excited for a new game.

On a slightly more wholesome note, it's kinda cute seeing the comments on Twitter saying they're excited for BDSP because they haven't played Sinnoh before and this will be their first experience with it. Reminds me of when I was young and HGSS was coming out and it was a 100% brand new game to me because I'd never played GSC. I had vaguely heard that it was a remake but didn't really care much, was just excited for a new game.

I don't buy this "100% brand new game" story, Lol. Just before HGSS came out, I hadn't played G/S/C games either, at least not in their entirety. So just before the remake launched I played Pokémon Crystal, and then HGSS. And.... both, in their own way, were great game experiences. Actually, my favorite Pokémon Games.

View attachment 151853Source

She only had a Snover in DP. Case pretty much closed, except there could be an exception or two like Clair's Gyarados and Glacia's Froslass.

I also find the use of Chimchar funny because people keep saying that the absence of the evolved "Hisui" starters in Legends trailers is suspicious. It's par for the course.

:unsure:, the graphic, as reproduced in the image above, looks way better than I expected.

I don't buy this "100% brand new game" story, Lol. Just before HGSS came out, I hadn't played G/S/C games either, at least not in their entirety. So just before the remake launched I played Pokémon Crystal, and then HGSS. And.... both, in their own way, were great game experiences. Actually, my favorite Pokémon Games.

Nah, for me it really was. I had barely even heard of the originals, and didn't know of a way to play them anyway. I wasn't really on the internet all that much back then either, so I was kinda in the dark. It didn't even really occur to my 12-13 year old self to find out more about the originals or play them. I can't even remember how I heard about the games in the first place, it was either TV commercials or GameStop or something. I know it had to do with an ad for the pokewalker.

I actually still haven't played GSC to this day, nor do I really feel a need to with HGSS right there.

Nah, for me it really was. I had barely even heard of the originals, and didn't know of a way to play them anyway. I wasn't really on the internet all that much back then either, so I was kinda in the dark. It didn't even really occur to my 12-13 year old self to find out more about the originals or play them. I can't even remember how I heard about the games in the first place, it was either TV commercials or GameStop or something. I know it had to do with an ad for the pokewalker.

I actually still haven't played GSC to this day, nor do I really feel a need to with HGSS right there.

Well, as I had already played a lot of Pokémon Fire Red at the time, I was already familiar with the concept of remakes, especially why the first Pokémon game that I played was Silver. And since, in the late 2000s, there weren't a lot of advertisements or commercials about Pokémon in Brazil, I'm sure I got to know the games through the Internet. Actually, I knew it on a website where I usually to see walkthroughs of games.

But to be honest, playing Crystal just before HGSS made the experience, in my opinion, even better. It was like buying the complete cookie package, Lol. I understand that's not a real reason to play GSC games, but Crystal is a great game in its own right, and that, in my opinion, at least until 2010, has aged quite well.

Last edited:
... Back to BDSP: I miss the days when games were released as finished packages, but if they're willing to patch in better audio, maybe that's promising for the prospect of some good DLC. I would not be adverse to it... as long as they give me my Battle Frontier.
I feel like a lot of people hold this view but I think the reality is that old games weren't polished either, they just didn't have a chance to be improved after release so what you got was what you got.

Personally, I prefer these days of ample ability to add to and polish them post-release. It also allows for things like new pokemon reveals actually being a surprise for everyone instead of spoiled years in advance by datamining, or having to buy a slightly updated version of the same exact game to get it.

I feel like a lot of people hold this view but I think the reality is that old games weren't polished either, they just didn't have a chance to be improved after release so what you got was what you got.
It did make you appreciate them for what they were, though. And besides, no game will ever be perfect, no matter how many patches it gets or how much DLC support it receives.

Personally, I prefer these days of ample ability to add to and polish them post-release. It also allows for things like new pokemon reveals actually being a surprise for everyone instead of spoiled years in advance by datamining, or having to buy a slightly updated version of the same exact game to get it.
Yeah, but it also allows companies to charge you through the nose for all that extra content you're paying for.

I actually attempted to play the original Gold on the 3ds Virtual Console, but I just couldn't do it. And you're right, since I've already played HGSS three times now, I don't really see a need to.

Please note: The thread is from 9 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom