• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Misconceptions

Plato

The Homing Beacon
Reaction score
We've all had them - thinking Mew evolved into Mewtwo, Pikablu was real - that's right, pokemon misconceptions, or more simply, things we thought were real when first playing or watching pokemon. Be it small or large, modest or embarrassing, I'd like to hear them. Maybe you actually believed Mew lived under the infamous SS Anne truck? I want to hear from you. 5 gold stars if it's something rather different.

I thought the Celebi glitch in Ruby was real (or at least not so rare)
I spent like 3 days of my life running around in the grass trying to find a celebi.

I also thought that pokemon could never die.

I thought the Celebi glitch in Ruby was real (or at least not so rare)
I spent like 3 days of my life running around in the grass trying to find a celebi.

I also thought that pokemon could never die.

Type matchups with me mostly, I still dont know all of them, I used to think Psychic was super against ghost, because they beat gengar etc.
And sometimes when a type is super effective against another type, I thought that when you reverse it, the type is resistant as well to the type it is super against, but this is not always the case as you know.

I tried the whole "Mew under the SS Anne Truck" thing a few times... D:

Everyone I knew who played pokemon always said that it was possible for your pokemon to go all the way to level 999. There were all sorts of crazy ways to get them there.

Also, there was the thing in Gen II where if you bred Nidoqueen and Nidoking, you'd end up with a superpowerful pokemon.

I thought in Valor Lakefront that HM Rock Climb was in the lady's suite, the one who lost her key? So I went to the main hotel lobby, talked to everyone there, used the itemfinder... Nothin'. Then I talked to the lady who wanted the honeymoon with a handsome knight, so I tried to go and catch a Rapidash, and yeah, it got out of hand. Never thought of using the itemfinder OUTSIDE though, and all I got was a freakin' lava cookie. I was sooo mad.

And it took me a couple weeks in Emerald to figure out to DIVE BACK UP when I found the Sub Explorer 1 in Sootopolis' caverns...

And all I was missing from my "Seen" Sinnoh Dex was Lumineon, I thought I had to wait for PalPark to open so I could import a pokemon with dive, because it's pokedex entry said it lives DEEP in the sea, so... Yeah, it didn't work. My friend finally told me it was the swimmer in Sunnyshore, who I had been avoiding fighting.

Regarding the Mew-Truck, I've never seen it, since I don't have any cheats or codes or crap... XD But according to PokeCommunity, there's a hidden Lava Cookie on the same dock. X_^'' I never understood that...

Last edited:
The Lava Cookie's there because Game Freak is laughing at us.

...of course, I went for it anyway.

When I still played Pokemon Blue and Red, I used to think that Raticate will evolve into Mew at Level 100.

One of my friends had me believe that you could recieve the other starters if you play for more than 100 hours. Boy was I in for a surprise....

^I fell for that one too. xD;

When I first played Yellow, I thought my Pikachu's Thundershock could hurt Brock's Onix because it did in the show. It took me two weeks to work through that one.

And then there was some awfully tedious, eight step process that you had to complete in a certain amount of time to get something called "Pikabloo" that I spent a few weeks on before I realized that it was, in fact, a load of horsecrap.

I thought the Pikablu thing was just me. I am glad to hear it was a common misconception.

As for other things I believed, I thought the whole Venastoise rumor was real back then.

Before playing the game, and having only the poster as reference, I tried to make out which Pokémon evolved on which, from the 1st Generation. Most were obvious, but they got trickier, and I had some funny thoughts, such as Farfetch'd evolving into Doduo, and then into Dodrio. I think the worst one was this one, though...

Mr. Mime -> Scyther -> Jynx -> Electabuzz -> Magmar -> Pinsir ->Tauros

Yep, I thought that was a successive evolutionary line.

In the same vein, I though Eevee evolved into Vaporeon, Vaporeon into Jolteon, and Jolteon into Flareon. This is the only one I actually tried in-game, and stumped when I found out it wasn't that way. XD

In the last numbers, I thought the Legendary Birds started with Articuno, who evolved into Zapdos, and then into Moltres. I also thought Dragonite was completely unrelated to Dratini and Dragonair. Same thing with Magikarp and Gyarados. I thought Gyarados was actually related to Lapras... :p

I also thought that the Moves learned by few Pokémon had to be much more powerful, no thanks to the original games not having the Base Power/Accuracy info. That's why I always taught my Pokés gimmicky Moves like Kinesis (I was so excited when I first saw it, even!) and Pin Missile (On Jolteon), which I thought were the best Moves they could learn. XD

I thought TMs were completely useless, and I always sold them in my first few playthroughs. And I didn't know the Master Ball was so special, wasting it on a random Seel at Seafoam Islands. XD

Yeah, I was so dumb back in the 1st Gen. I got better with 2nd Gen. XP

back in gen.III, I thought yanma evolved into vibrava. THEY LOOK ALOT ALIKE!! I actually got my yanma to lv.80 before my friend told me it was trpinch! I do have a strong yanma now....

Back in Second Gen, I was told that breeding the (male) Red Gyarados at level 55 with a recenlty evolved female Gyarados holding an Everstone would result in a Golden Magikarp that knew Hyperbeam. Needless to say, I was sorely disappointed.

Also, during Summer camp, there was a rumor that if you hit "New Game" on Gold or Silver, it would entirely erase your previous file, regardless of weather you saved or not. When a friend asked me if he could restart my game to see the beginning of GS, I told him that I'd catch some Grass/Fire/Water Pokemon and reenact it for him...

Yeah.....ironically enough, I always knew that Pikablu and MewTree were bullcrap

I fell for a couple that might now have spread far from my school. I believed their were seven ho-ohs and lugias in GS, and that mew could be found in dark cave, but only if you used rock smash in the right area.

I never found the mew truck. But I'm glad GF had their joke.

I also wanted an octillery and never did figure out how to get one until I discovered Bulbapedia.

The worst one for me was in Red, after the anime episode when Togepi was born, I searched everywhere for a Togepi, im talking months, before I finally gave up, and I was so excited when I got in Gold.

Before playing the game, and having only the poster as reference, I tried to make out which Pokémon evolved on which, from the 1st Generation. Most were obvious, but they got trickier, and I had some funny thoughts, such as Farfetch'd evolving into Doduo, and then into Dodrio. I think the worst one was this one, though...
Yeah I had a poster too, which made me believe some weird things. Like Pinsir evolving into Tauros (look at the colour and horns, they could evolve) and I knew that kabuto evolved into kabutops, but I thought it would much more sense od scyther would evolve into kabutops. I also thought hitmonlee evolved into hitmonchan, and that shellder evolved into cloyster (getting a better shell) and then into gastly (losing the shell at all), because they all have the same black face. I thought haunter and gengar were one volution line (without gastly)

In the same vein, I though Eevee evolved into Vaporeon, Vaporeon into Jolteon, and Jolteon into Flareon. This is the only one I actually tried in-game, and stumped when I found out it wasn't that way. XD

Ahhh, my most stupid mistake. I thought that eevee would evolve in porygon be either using a leaf stone, or by using a fire water and thunder stone at the same time. I didn't have the games back then and I only got the Anime, wich never showed porygon (thus made me speculate). The reason why I thought using the three stones would result into porygon was because Jessie, James and Meowth almost tried that on an eevee in one episode.

I also thought Dragonite was completely unrelated to Dratini and Dragonair.

Same here

Oh this has to be my best one.
I caught an Illumise in Ruby, I dont use guidebooks, and didnt know about bulbapedia then, so i got most of my info from the anime. Illumise and volbeat hadnt been in the anime yet.

So I put Illumise in the DCC (day care center) and when i got the egg it hatched into volbeat, a friend wanted Illumise so I traded it away, thinking I could just evolve my volbeat into a new Illumise, I spent ages and it never evolved, I tried everything i could think of.

Oh and, I thought Eevee evolved in Porygon with the 3 stones at once not only because of the anime episode, where JJM tried that, but because of Porygons tri attack.

I have some minor ones that weren't funny, but ended up pissing me off. There was this one time me and my cousin wanted to evolve our onix and scyther into Steelix and Scizor, and we were going to share one metal coat. We didn't think that the item would disappear once one of us used it.

Also, I used to think that all moves that didn't do damage, but affected stats instead, didn't do anything, and were joke moves like splash.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom