• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Smash Discussion Thread (SEE FIRST POST!)

Re: Pokemon Smash Discussion Thread

Next Smash is going to have horde battles and Sky Battles. Evidently, Parabolic Charge can multi-target.

Yep, Helioptile v a horde of Zubat (I think we've all been waiting to do that, really), and Swellow in a Sky Battle.

horde of Zubat

So I found this:

tumblr_moa9iuiR7e1qk8ukco1_1280.jpg

Evidently, Parabolic Charge can multi-target.
We've known that for some time, actually. (Also: Best. HP. Draining. Move. Ever.)

And as much as we all love to hate Zubats, seriously, the only thing worse than a horde of Zubats would have to be a horde of Ditto.

"The wild Ditto used Transform!
The wild Ditto used Transform!
The wild Ditto used Transform!"

Crap...

Last edited:

Suddenly, I feel like I'm not gonna like horde battles. At all :I

It sounds like it's just going to showcase pretty much the same thing we already know...except this time show more battle animations for different pokemon?

And as much as we all love to hate Zubats, seriously, the only thing worse than a horde of Zubats would have to be a horde of Ditto.

"The wild Ditto used Transform!
The wild Ditto used Transform!"

Crap...

Unless you fake them out by sending out a really weak Magikarp or Hoppip first. Just switch them out and watch them just flail about not doing any damage while you helplessly slaughter them all.

Ditto are usually pretty rare, so running into a horde of them seems really unlikely to happen often enough to become annoying/dangerous.

The only thing I don't like about it is that we're going to have to consume a move slot just for multi-target moves.

Maybe you don't encounter hordes if you don't know multi-target moves, similar to how you don't encounter a duo in double-grass when you only have one Pokemon in your party.

The only thing I don't like about it is that we're going to have to consume a move slot just for multi-target moves.

Meh, I almost always have one multi target move on most of my mon's movesets, especially Surf and Earthquake. I'm glad they'll get more multitarget opportunities now :D

And I can't wait for an Audino horde (I really hope that they will appear. I somehow doubt that they'll allow Audino to appear in hordes, but I can dream)

Maybe you don't encounter hordes if you don't know multi-target moves, similar to how you don't encounter a duo in double-grass when you only have one Pokemon in your party.
Don't think so. Official website specifically mentions that "if you don't have any moves that can attack multiple targets at once, you may be in for a rough time." But judging from the screenshots we've been given, I still say it looks like hordes are lower-than-average levels which means you don't have to worry as much about taking five attacks per turn. (It's the status moves you have to worry about.)

Also, the first screenshow showing a bunch of Axew at only Lv.8 implies this might be something you encounter rather early in the game, after your first Gym badge.

Also, the first screenshow showing a bunch of Axew at only Lv.8 implies this might be something you encounter rather early in the game, after your first Gym badge.

Possibly, or it could be more of a demo explanation rather than an actual representation of the final product.

So, Hordes are a way to make you have your Pokemon use more multi-target moves.

One thing I'm wondering about is if it's only one-on-horde or can it be random and two or even three of your Pokemon can face a horde?

So, Hordes are a way to make you have your Pokemon use more multi-target moves.

One thing I'm wondering about is if it's only one-on-horde or can it be random and two or even three of your Pokemon can face a horde?

From the way it has been described, I image that it is one-on-horde.

From the way it has been described, I image that it is one-on-horde.

I hope the dark grass with two Pokémon return, and you send out two and have a double battle, and then someone lampshades how when pairs of wild Pokémon attack, you defend with two, yet when a horde of five attack, you only fight with one.

Had a pretty terrible stream that cut out as soon as XY segment finished (so didn't get to see previews for next week), but it showed Swellow and Ledian in a Sky Battle (no attacks), and Helioptile using Parabolic Charge against a horde of 5 Zubat, and killing them all. The most interesting thing though - we finally got a faint sequence. And most of you aren't going to be happy.

The Zubat fell back after their HP got to zero but also disappeared into the ground. There was some animation to them fainting, but at the same time they also disappeared and I haven't made up my opinion on it yet. But I figure it has to do with the rating in a way - there can't really be a fainted Pokemon just lying there, for kids anyway.

Really? I could've sworn they just shrunk down to nothing during the animation.

I saw the Zubat fainting, and, to be honest, it isn't that bad. Yeah, they fall into the ground, essentially, but it did have an animation, like Pastabender said. I mean, even in PBR, they didn't completely hit the ground, though, they all had a Poke Ball to return to.

Really? I could've sworn they just shrunk down to nothing during the animation.
Well they did, but they also still kind of shrunk down into nothing into the ground?

I don't think it's that bad, but it could look pretty odd with larger Pokemon.

Back
Top Bottom