• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Primal Reversion

Wait, doesn't the fastest win to activate its weather? Desolate Land and Primordial Sea negate any attempt of activating any other type of weather, so the first one to activate wins, not the last. Unless i'm missing something.

Wait, doesn't the fastest win to activate its weather? Desolate Land and Primordial Sea negate any attempt of activating any other type of weather, so the first one to activate wins, not the last. Unless i'm missing something.

I forgot about that. XD

Probably, but it's still a "whichever gets its weather up" deal, so my point stands.

I forgot about that. XD

Probably, but it's still a "whichever gets its weather up" deal, so my point stands.
Yeah, i understood your point. Still, now people are most likely going to max both Kyogre and Groudon speed to setup their weather first, their normal forms are tied with 90 base speed, so i assume their Primal forms will have the same base speed as well, meaning speed ties, resulting in the game randomly choosing one. But, watch GF troll and give Primal Kyogre an higher base speed, so it can set its weather first.

We've only seen that the weather can't change with normal weather-inducing moves and abilities. A bit soon to say that these Primal weather abilities aren't exempt from the rule.

Yeah, I'd guess switching in a Primal Kyogre would override Desolate Land just like switching a normal Groudon would override a sandstorm, say. The alternative is that they can continue at the same time, like the acid rain glitch in DP. That would be like the simulataneous sun and rain we saw in Emerald. Then water moves would evaporate and fire moves would be extinguished.

Yeah, I'd guess switching in a Primal Kyogre would override Desolate Land just like switching a normal Groudon would override a sandstorm, say. The alternative is that they can continue at the same time, like the acid rain glitch in DP. That would be like the simulataneous sun and rain we saw in Emerald. Then water moves would evaporate and fire moves would be extinguished.

Emerald’s weather crisis is not exactly simultaneous sun and rain. Overworld weather changes every few seconds between those two. Weather in battle depends on whether sun or rain is active in overworld at the start of the battle. So I doubt simultaneous Desolate Land and Primordial Sea will happen.

Pokémon Website said:
With Primal Reversion, Primal Kyogre's powerful Sp. Atk will grow even greater!
Pokémon Website said:
Through Primal Reversion, Groudon's powerful Attack grows even greater.

Those go up, something else goes down.

Per the official site:
The legend told in Hoenn did not end there, however.

It was a primal age, early in the world’s history. The natural world was overflowing with energy. That energy granted Groudon and Kyogre an overwhelming power. Seeking ever more of that energy for themselves, the two clashed again and again, and their battles cast the people and Pokémon of Hoenn into great danger. Brimming with the overwhelming power granted to them by nature’s energy, their transformation was named "Primal Reversion" by later people. And the people called their tormentors Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre...

The Pokémon that appear on these titles’ packaging are indeed Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre, the Primal Reversion forms that have reclaimed their original power!
Now, see, this leads me to believe otherwise.

Or you can wait for groudon to primal devolve first protect that turn and primal devolve the next turn thats if it works like it does right now.

Theres a few ways this can work

Which ever is sent out second will overide the weather like it normally does now (like say groudon is already out and you switch kyogre in)

They cancel each other out

one stops the other from activating

and this one is a bold prediction both are on the field at the same time and will switch between sun and rain at random (kinda like the over world in emerald it switched between drought and rain quite often)

I guess kyogre will have to run HP water in order to stand a chance against groudon now

Can Kyogre run Earthquake or any other Ground-type moves? Because it seems like this typing only has two weaknesses: 2x Ground, and 4x Water which Groudon's new ability negates.

Oh, God. That would be epic and would shut them both down, so if it was a double battle they'd be useless except for the weather trick.

Emerald’s weather crisis is not exactly simultaneous sun and rain. Overworld weather changes every few seconds between those two. Weather in battle depends on whether sun or rain is active in overworld at the start of the battle. So I doubt simultaneous Desolate Land and Primordial Sea will happen.

With every game, Pokémon becomes more and more realistic to our own world (days of the week, 24-hour times, seasons, etc.) and in many tropical real world places (like the tropical Hoenn) the Sun can be shining brilliantly in the middle of rain. So I could totally see them make this a Hoenn exclusive phenomenon where Rainshine is possible.

With every game, Pokémon becomes more and more realistic to our own world (days of the week, 24-hour times, seasons, etc.) and in many tropical real world places (like the tropical Hoenn) the Sun can be shining brilliantly in the middle of rain. So I could totally see them make this a Hoenn exclusive phenomenon where Rainshine is possible.

you know, like in Texas! xD

and dang, i hadn't thought much about the evaporating water moves :/ that's more useful than extinguishing moves you already resist. uber power, not fair, poor kyogre xD gonna need to learn something good to counter.

and dang, i hadn't thought much about the evaporating water moves :/ that's more useful than extinguishing moves you already resist. uber power, not fair, poor kyogre xD gonna need to learn something good to counter.

Or like Puerto Rico! :D But if Kyogre gets some hard-hitting Ground-type moves, it can give Groudon a run for its money. I'm thinking Earthquake? But if Primal Reversion doesn't require a held item, you could give P. Groudon an Air Balloon and essentially make it unstoppable.

If P-Kyogre's weather is in play, its Water moves will probably 1HKO Groudon. If P-Groudon's weather is up it may take a couple turns to knock Kyogre out. Kyogre's type advantage evens things out imo

If P-Kyogre's weather is in play, its Water moves will probably 1HKO Groudon. If P-Groudon's weather is up it may take a couple turns to knock Kyogre out. Kyogre's type advantage evens things out imo

Groudon learns Thunder and Thunderbolt in X and Y. And if Desolate Land is anything like a true harsh sunlight in this world, it'll make electric type moves stronger (in the real world, extremely dry heat promotes thunder and lightining. This is especially prominent in deserts.) So Groudon definitely has been given every gift possible to be able to kill Kyogre. And it learns Solar Beam which doesn't need a turn to charge in sunlight.

Groudon learns Thunder and Thunderbolt in X and Y. And if Desolate Land is anything like a true harsh sunlight in this world, it'll make electric type moves stronger (in the real world, extremely dry heat promotes thunder and lightining. This is especially prominent in deserts.) So Groudon definitely has been given every gift possible to be able to kill Kyogre. And it learns Solar Beam which doesn't need a turn to charge in sunlight.

Despite what happens in real world, I doubt there will be any positive effect over Electric moves (actually, Thunder's accuracy downs to 50% under sun and goes up to 100% in rain). But then again, we have Solarbeam. And I wouldn't be surprised if Solarbeam gets another update under Desolate Land effect, becoming stronger or something similar.

Why would they make Electric moves more powerful in sunlight when they've already made it a point to decrease Thunder's accuracy in the sun?

Even so, Kyogre's base 140 Special Defense will likely get a boost, which should help it shrug off P-Groudon's Special attacks. And iirc Groudon's only Physical move that's SE against Water is Thunder Punch, which it might not even be able to learn in ORAS.

STAB Earthquake is doing as much to Kyogre as Thunder Punch (100 x 1.5 and 75 x 2) so why would you bother with it for Kyogre anyway.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom