• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Movies/TV Rate the Last Movie you Watched

Finally got round to seeing Frozen, on its last week in my local cinema. Definitely a 9/10, maybe 9.5/10. Incredible music, interesting characters, great story, subversion of many Disney tropes, there isn't much to complain about. I'm planning on seeing it again on Saturday.

Behind the Candelabra 9/10. I thought Michael Douglas was great.

Rise of the Guardians 8/10

Doubt - 8/10
Pretty simple little plot and kind of a slow starter, but the performances are...wow. Amazing. I won't discredit the story completely though, it was thought-provoking.

Captain Phillips - 8/10
A nail-biter and leaves you emotionally exhausted at the end in the right way. Tom Hanks was great.

Notes on a Scandal - 7/10
Nice little thriller, nothing too memorable but I enjoyed it. Kind of reminds me of The Talented Mr. Ripley for some reason.

Dallas Buyers Club - 8/10
Not much to say, it was pretty emotionally affecting and the performances were great.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 - 8/10
A re-watch, of course. There's not much I don't like about this other than Voldemort's death scene. The book's version where Harry gives him an epic speech and a chance for redemption before his death seems so much cooler. Although I guess there might be issues making that work on screen. Also, there's not a lot of time to "breathe" in this movie (slower emotional moments and such) but one might expect that.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - 9/10
Admittedly, my childhood nostalgia has clouded my opinion a LOT. It's easily my favourite of the HP films. The cinematography, visuals, and music are breathtaking and the acting got noticably better in the case of the main trio. The narrative is more streamlined than the first two but I find it refreshing as a whole. I know a lot of book purists like to quibble about some of the resulting problems, and despite my love for this film I will have to agree on some complaints. Why was Harry using Lumos Maxima at the start when just minutes later it's clearly established he can't use magic outside of school? Why didn't they explain who the Marauders were and that they wrote the map? It seriously could have taken one or two sentences, and the absence of this leaves you scratching your head at how Sirius knows about the map at all. Still, I can't explain how much I love this film, lol.

The Croods - 8/10

In my opinion, nobody does an computer-animated film like Pixar. They pretty much have that section of the film industry on lock. That being said, DreamWorks has definitely had their fair share of success, like the Shrek and How to Train Your Dragon (<333) franchises. Clearly DreamWorks has the chops to compete with Pixar, it's just that they sometimes falter with their delivery which makes the whole situation a little awkward.

Which brings me to The Croods.

Now don't get me wrong, the movie itself is good! It's just that DreamWorks relied a little too much on film tropes to get their story across, and the way they tied up some loose ends near the end of the movie were, well, loose. I was able to predict a love story for Eep, for example, as soon as Guy appeared in his mammoth costume--and sure, I'm a sucker for love stories, but theirs didn't really add much to the plot. And Grug's reaction to their relationship as the overprotective father was a joke that went on for far too long in the movie. And don't forget the, like, four near-death experiences that Grug experienced in a span of five or so minutes, each one handled worse than the one before it. (Seriously, the way they handled Douglas the crocodile-dog and that saber-tooth tiger thing was just so weird, in my opinion.)

It definitely is an above-average movie overall, which is why I would keep it away from the average 5-7 range. But the better parts of the movie only just make up for the other not-so-better parts--enough to make me enjoy the movie when I watched it, but not enough to make me want to watch it again. Personally I think the movie itself deserves a 7.5, but the beautiful-if-tropey use of color in the movie made me bump the score up a little.

12 Years A Slave 9.5/10

I has just saw this film (the session I went to ended just over an hour ago), and I heard it is very good so I checked it out. I will not spoil it for anyone (I urge you to check it out) but I will be disappointed if it DOESN'T win the Oscar for Best Picture. It was very intense at some parts, but overall it is one of the best films I have seen.

Pride and Prejudice (2005)
7/10

Not bad for a movie adaptation of the famous novel. It was pretty boring at some parts, but still true to the novel.

Frozen - 6/10

Honestly, I really think this film was beautiful visually and I adored the cultural elements and design, but at the same time I feel that Anna was so lacking in perceptiveness and empathy and so very irritating that it ruined it somewhat for me. I also feel that Elsa's development was completely nonexistent in that it was very sudden and unrealistic (she's suddenly okay at the end? after what progress exactly?) and I think they would have done better to focus the story more on her perspective to rectify that (particularly with the potential they had there for Kristoff - and his love of ice - to help her appreciate and manage her powers). I wasn't left satisfied after watching it at all as the whole progression felt a bit jolty and the Anna/Kristoff relationship just felt very forced and unnatural for me, even considering Disney's tendency for deliberate, complete lack of any realism. They could have done so much more with this.

Robocop 7.5/10

It's a typical 1980s action film and good at what it does but the whole thing felt a bit rushed. It would have been nice to go a bit more into Murphy's past/personality, as it was only briefly touched upon but it was a fun romp. My biggest grip is the ending, as it is very abrupt and makes you say, "Really? That's it?" But for its flaws it was a decent enough action flick.

The Lego Movie 8.5/10

It was very cool visually with almost everything being made out of legos. The story was very good for the most part. And the characters were great.

The Addams Family 8/10
FrankenWeenie 10/10
Ed Wood 10/10
An American Werewolf in London 8/10
The Nightmare Before Christmas 10/10
The Lone Ranger 9/10
The Last Exorcism 7/10
Beethoven's 2nd 7/10
Bugsy Malone 8/10
Bugsy 10/10
Devil's Due 7/10
Monsters Inc. 9/10
Saving Mr. Banks 10/10
Eight Crazy Nights 6/10
Psycho 9/10
Twist and Shout 9/10

The Greatest Show on Earth

The title says is all.

10/10

The Corpse Bride

Another Tim Burton masterpiece.

10/10

Mary Shelley's Frankenstein

Spectacular 1994 version.

9/10

An American Haunting

Based on real events.

Worth a rent.

7/10

Gravity - 3/10

I just couldn't like it because of Sandra Bullock's bad acting, and the story was terrible.

Thor - The Dark World - 6/10

I liked the first Thor movie, but in this movie it seems that the acting got even worse...

Interview With the Vampire

Great use of makeup.

8/10

Monster House

Best animated movie of 2006.

9/10

Maria Full of Grace

Highly recommended.

10/10

Batman Returns (1992): 6.5/10

Okay, where to start on this? This one hasn't aged well. It was pretty obviously filmed on sets, which detracts from the film's look. Michael Keaton was utterly bland as Bruce Wayne/Batman and Danny DeVito's Penguin was too over-the-top to enjoy. Michelle Pfeiffer made Catwoman compelling; you could see her character slowly becoming unhinged and losing her grip on things as the story progressed. The story itself was outright strange: we have the Penguin who supposedly wants to gain political power but when that falls through, he sends goons to kidnap children. When that fails, he sends out a penguin army. You read that right--a penguin army, complete with missiles and weaponry. Now, I know that this was one of the "serious" takes on the Batman mythos at the time but it seems silly and clownish today. But all things considered, it was decent for what it was and one of the few Tim Burton films that I can watch without wanting to leave midway through.

Back
Top Bottom