• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Realistically, which of your favorite Pokemon would be bad pets to have for you?

Steel_Justice

Forged in Combat
Reaction score
Just as the title says: I'm sure we've all at some point wanted our favorite Pokemon in our lives but reality can be a cruel mistress. Things like where we live, our house size, people we live with, lifestyles, climate and access to certain kinds of food or biomes can make some real life pets a possibility or a bust depending on these conditions. And of course, there's also Pokedex entries further complicating things. Now I ask you: under these kinds of considerations or any you can think of, which of your favorite mons would be a disaster for you to have as a pet?

For literal starters I probably won't have too many issues with Bulbasaur at first since it likely doesn't eat a lot being part plant and all but things go south if it evolves into Venusaur. Venusaur is pretty big, so space is kind of an issue and while the plant probably doesn't smell bad like its inspiration, it could attract some unwanted attention to my backyard if Venusaur is left outside. We really don't need more wasps here nor do we want those damn coons to come back.

Snivy and it's line shouldn't be bad, Serperior's large size aside. But unfortunately my dad hates snakes and would probably throw Snivy in a pot to get rid of it before it gets bigger :ROFLMAO:.

Joltik wouldn't make it to Galvantula. Mom's afraid of bugs like dad's afraid of snakes. Joltik gets whacked by a shoe within the hour :lapras:. And even if it survives it would hike up the electric bill by drinking from the outlet and that's before it evolves into a dog-sized spider.

Let's see...
  • Midnight Lycanroc is explicitly a feisty gremlin that loves to get into fights. Whether that's a kind of enrichment I can realistically provide depends 100% on whether or not other people also have Pokemon to battle with. If not then I can see that getting unsustainable at home extremely quickly.
  • Similar to above for Incineroar
  • Drillbur would be an absolute menace for its drilling behaviour. It may be tiny, but it digs a lot. And fast. You'd need an absolutely massive property to make that feasible. Let it evolve into Excadrill and it'd be a nightmare.
  • Totodile is cute and small, but it's already a serial biter who chomps on anything and everything that catches its attention. Including you. Interestingly, none of Croconaw or Feraligatr's descriptions ever mention similar behaviour, implying that it may grow out of it as it evolves, but by that point you're dealing with a 2.3m tall aquatic reptile, and that's an entirely different concern in terms of housing.
  • Tyrantrum. Like, do I even need to explain why housing a T. rex is a complete non-starter?

I'm pretty sure that having the Pokemon equivalent of a grey alien is already a ludicrously suspect idea. Considering Beheeyem's entire gimmick involves its capacity to brainwash and alter the memories of others to its liking; who's to say that you and whoever else is in that household aren't already the actual pets at this point?

Let's see, the only Pokemon I truly consider my favorites would be Shaymin, Meloetta and Florges but also Giratina.
Giratina is obviously bad for multiple reason so I don't think I need to get into details the rest though, I don't think they would pose too much of an issue as pets. I mean Shaymin could probably be handled like a bigger Guinea Pig and since I live in the countryside, even it's flying form, which by the way I don't like that much, shouldn''t get too many issues.
Florges is like a sentient flower I wager which shouldn't be that much of a headache to take care of and again, the countryside seems an optimal biome for it to thrive.
Meloetta on the other hand, I'm not sure but I say it's human enough to be cared for like a younger sister and would probably be loved by most of the village for the singing.
Now a special case would be Bulbasaur. I like it a lot but I wouldn't say it's a favorite or that I want it as a pet. It's more like it was my very first Pokemon ever so it holds a special place in my heart.
I cannot recall all or even any one of the Pokedex entries so I can't be entirely sure if it would work for them as I think.

While I would love to have a Quaxly buddy irl, when it eventually evolves into Quaquaval I'd have no idea of what I would do with it. Quaquaval is like... an adult human sized peacock looking guy. Where would it sleep? The couch??? I guess it could be in its pokéball or I could just give Quaxly an everstone and skip this whole evolution problem but I don't know haha.
Then there's Revavroom, the giant engine mon which spits toxic smoke everywhere. I don't think I need to explain why having a Poison-type Pokémon living in a tiny flat is a HUGE problem. A Varoom would be less problematic but it's still a Poison-type and I'm not very fond of accidentally developing some lung disease.
And finally, as much as I like Bug-type Pokémon, I don't think my mother would be very happy with my giant spiders and milipedes X) Although Ribombee, with it being adorable and not having massive scary stingers, could have a small chance :hmm: Orbeetle is definitely a no-no, for the same reasons Chidamari's Beheeyem is a no-no.

Meowstic F is known to be aggressive and torment others with it's psychic powers if it doesn't get its way. Also, said psychic powers can destroy a truck, so good luck with that

I mentioned this in the thread about horrifying IRL Pokemon, but Bewear. Better be good avoiding hugs or else you're toast.

Tyrantrum jaw has enough strength to destroy a car. Definitely not pet material

I love the Gligar line, and it would probably do alright in my climate since we have both scorpions and bats natively. But it also likes to drop onto people's faces and drink their blood, which...yeah.

I thought at first a Beedrill would be a terrible pet, but the more I think about it...it might actually be ok? There are a bazillion wasps in my backyard come summertime because they like the kind of trees there, so a Beedrill would probably like nesting in my yard. And having the wasps there means I apparently have a food source for such creatures already. The fact that you can use it in the games means Beedrill would be FAR more trainable than a real wasp, and could be taught to not sting anyone who gets too close. The question is whether I could survive the training process...

A Noivern would be an amazing pet, but I'm sure the produce bill to feed it would be astronomical.

I think Porygon and Porygon2 would actually be decent pets, since they already work with people and they don't seem to have any actively aggressive tendencies. I could just let them hang out in my computer and check for viruses and stuff. But since Porygon-Z is more erratic and glitchy, that might cause some unexpected challenges, so that might not be the best idea.

Looking at the dex entries I realize that Genesect actually doesn't have a lot of info about its powers and stuff? But since it's apparently a strong hunter and has an actual cannon attached to its back, I don't think I'd be able to handle it lol. Same deal for Metagross, it's probably too big and powerful for a mere human like me if it were to go out of control or something.

Magneton and Rotom would both be nightmares to deal with, Rotom with all its posessing appliances and causing chaos, and Magneton causing earaches and messing with electronics. There is no way I'd be able to function with either of them around.

My appartment is pretty small and already occupied by 2 humans with loads of stuff. We already can't get a pet due to low space, but ignoring that issue, here's what I think:
  • Empoleon: Aside from having enourmous pride, I don't think this would be a problem, It might cut the walls on accident due to its arms being massive sharp blades, but that's okay
  • Rotom: An absolute nightmare. This apartment is filled with technology and appliances from head to toe. It would get in my computer, my microwave, my air fryer, my TV. all my DS's and consoles, no thanks.
  • Chatot: Literally just a bird. Perfect. It can probably speak better than the average bird, which I don't mind, but other than that there should be almost no difference.
  • Scizor: Same thing as Empoleon really, it's just big and probably much scarier IRL. Also I don't really like bugs so it's wings constantly flapping would probably freak me out

Well my absolute favorite Pokémon is Goodra and they're an over 6 foot tall slime dragon that weighs like 330 pounds.

That'd just be too damn big and heavy to have as a pet and they'd get slime everywhere with how much they'd want to hug me because of their friendliness.

I think all my other fave Pokémon would all be fine pets to have because they're mostly ones that are already pet-like? Worst case scenarios would be I'd have to treat a Gardevoir or a Cinderace like a sibling and not a pet (IDK for some reason the idea of treating bipedal and more anthropomorphic Pokémon as 'pets' always feels weird to me) and I guess Primarina is kind of big (I mean their height is how tall I am) but I also have a swimming pool so they can play and perform in the pool when they want to.

Like if I had an Eevee or a Sprigatito as a pet, that'd just be like... a regular pet pretty much? ESPECIALLY EEVEE they're just a normal-type critter and Sprigatito is literally a damn cat. They are just a green cat.

As much as I'd like to have the Litten line in my home there is one crippling issue that prevents me from doing so... I'm allergic to cats. Plus Incineroar is just... huge, as my apartment is only average size as best (though, fortunately, I live alone in it, sans my pet bird), and I'd worry that flaming belt might set my furniture on fire.

Torchic might not be too bad, especially since I love birds, though Blaziken would have the same size factor that Incineroar has that would be a problem.

Tepig would be pretty okay, since pigs are fairly common pets, including around here. Emboar, however, would suffer the same issues that Incineroar would, including setting things on fire with that flaming beard.

Garchomp... yeah, that's pretty easy to see how that'd be a bad idea. And I doubt my landlord would appreciate a giant sand shark jet dragon in his building.

Staraptor would also probably be an issue, both with its aggressive nature and large size despite my love of birds. Even Starly might be an issue since, as the dex states, their singing is noisy and annoying, and I'd rather not get on my landlord's bad side because of noise levels.

Torterra... yeah, that's a no-brainer why it'd be a bad idea to have one as a pet. Turtwig might not be so bad, though, but Torterra would require a lot of space.

Braviary would fall into the same category as Staraptor despite my love of birds: too big and too aggressive. And even Rufflet would be too much, given their feisty temperaments.

Really, probably the only Mon I can think of that's part of my favorite list that won't be an issue would be Gardevoir, given its rather thin body and generally calm temperament. Plus having a Psychic type to help me with chores would be much appreciated.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Jolteon is most likely manageable. The electric powers would even come in handy in case of a blackout. Sure, it has quills, but Pokemon Amie never depicted them as hurting you when you pet it, which implies that Jolteon can control their sharpness, so it would definitely need more training than the real thing, but it'd still in the end likely be like owning a dog.

Flygon, though, is a definite no-no. Huge antlionlike dragon that can cause standstorms by flapping its wings and even in its first stage is a ferocious hunter? Yeah, this thing is made for the wild 100%

The legendary Pokemon Mewtwo, Ho-oh, Articuno, Moltres, Cresselia, Reshiram, Xerneas, Lunala, and Spectrier are way too big for me to manage and having a small Pokemon as a pet would be easier.

Same thing goes with some of the starter Pokemon Charmander, Bulbasaur, Oshawott, Snivy, Chikorita, Popplio, and Rowlet once when they evolve they will also be hard for me to manage.

Absol's not particularly ill-tempered or really able to be unintentionally dangerous, and it's pretty reasonably sized. Bigger than most irl cats or dogs, but not unmanageably so. They don't get on well with people in canon but that tends to be more on the people. They're pretty fluffy so they'd probably shed a fair bit, but that's not something much mind, and the ability to sense incoming problems would be nice. Honestly the biggest concern I can think of would be the fact that they often have lifespans of over a century according to their Pokedex entries, so it'd almost certainly outlive me so I'd have to figure out ahead of time who would take care of it when I'm gone.

Gothorita would... probably be a problem, frankly. The whole kidnapping and controlling sleeping children is. Not ideal. That said, the dex entries state that it does so to create friends for itself, so if it had willing friends it might not...? But I don't think I can provide that myself so I don't think raising one would be the best idea.

Smeargle would be pretty messy, but otherwise, I think it'd basically be like raising a dog. I wouldn't be concerned with that.

Audino would be great, actually. It's very well-tempered and smaller than some of my other favorites by a bit. I think it would be especially well suited as an emotional support Pokemon, which is something I'd be happy to have around.

Minccino and Cinccino would maybe be a bit rough for me given how much they are neat freaks and I'm pretty disorganized, and irl I have some cats so I'd be worried about them getting eaten, but if I didn't have any predators I think I'd be able to get used to accommodating their needs.

Those are most of my top favorites, and really, except Gothorita, would be a pretty decent pet. Most starters, especially the ones I like, in at least their base or middle stages would be pretty reasonable, as long as they had an everstone. Not every fully evolved starter would be dangerous or anything, but many of them are a bit bigger than I think I could likely handle.

• shaymin, whether land or sky form, would probably be fine.
  • same for bulbasaur/ivysaur, although venusaur would present an issue as my living area cannot accommodate a pokemon of that size. would need an everstone, here.
  • glaceon would be fine. i prefer the cold over hot climates, but considering i live in a rather humid area, i can't say that my poor glaceon would feel all that comfortable.
  • latias is too big to be indoors, and i wouldn't have a place for it to be outdoors. probably the first pick that would suck since it's not even that big, but it's big enough to where fitting it into a normal house is going to present challenges, and i don't have the yard space for it, either, i think.
  • #5 is a pretty flexible spot, but let's say any of the porygon family for now. i can see them being rather docile "pets", perhaps with the exception of porygon-z, but i wouldn't know enough about pory-z to definitively say how much of an issue it would be. it's erratic for sure, and the whole point is that it's glichy, but maybe that means i'd just keep it outside my PC? idk.

i'd say my top 4 favorites are shinx, lurantis, hydreigon, and honchkrow. first of all i'd like to say i live in a tiny college dorm so i could not keep any animal at all atm (i would feel awful just keeping them in a pokéball the whole time, if those are a part of this fantasy), but pretending i lived in an animal-sized apartment...

for shinx... i think it depends. shinx usually have pretty aggressive temperaments, and they also conduct and use electricity, so if i caught a shinx from the wild or something (assuming as well you can also do that) i might not be able to handle it because i don't have much patience nor am i the best with animals... if i adopted one from, like, a breeder or something they might be nicer and easier to live with. in general though, size-wise i think shinx would be good and they probably aren't that demanding for like food and stuff too. i'm sure they would be very sweet once they started to like you... and i would love to hold shinx in my arms...

lurantis... would not be able to keep. too big, and in real life they would probably look much more bug-like, which would be too scary for me... they need a lot of care to maintain their looks which are important to them, and they would probably have an interesting diet. probably wouldn't enjoy being inside much either. overall don't think i could do it.

on a similar note, i think keeping a hydreigon would be flat out impossible. an apartment or even a house would be far too restraining--maybe only if i lived in a castle like ghetsis or a huuuuuge mansion would i have enough space for one. furthermore, i find it unlikely i could tame a dragon, and i would certainly not be able to provide proper food for the diet of one. how would i even provide enrichment for an ethereal creature like this... i couldn't...

lastly honchkrow would also be very difficult for me as well. too big for an apartment, i think they would need more companions (or subordinates) to be properly happy, would not enjoy being kept inside, would be difficult to provide satisfying food for, etc.......

i think overall all of these are the equivalent of like, wanting to keep owls or foxes or lions or such animals in your apartment in real life lol. just not possible. at the least i think shinx would be reasonable and i love them most of all so i have that...

Easy peasy: Hitmontop, Teddiursa, Jirachi, Squirtle, Bulbasaur, Pineco, Mudkip, Turtwig, Venipede, Charjabug, Chewtle, Fuecoco
Doable with a yard: Marshtomp, Phanpy, Politoed, Reuniclus, Rowlet, Cufant, Golett, Palpitoad, Elgyem, Froakie, Goomy, Stonjouner
Doable with a designated habitat and training: Palafin, Manaphy, Wailmer, Clauncher, Finizen (live in the sea), Magnemite, Kartana, Crabominable, Ursaluna, Clodsire (could be dangerous), Snom, Cetoddle (need snow)
Nope: Munchlax, Snorlax (tons of food to buy), Ditto (good luck if it gets lost or if it wants to prank you), Tyrantrum (it could be slightly unethical to revive it), Combee, Wishiwashi (they prefer to live with others of its kind), Zygarde, Rayquaza, Arceus (legendaries)

I assumed none of them would evolve.

Back
Top Bottom