• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S09 EP15: Harley Rides Again ・ EP16: Odd Pokémon Out!

Know what makes me sad?

Everyone's going on and on about how awesome Harley is but I missed the majority of the epsiode due to mundane tasks such as taking the dog out and eating breakfast.

Yes, I have it recorded, but I later discovered that it was crap quality for some reason and there's a loud, shrill noise in the background leading to me not being able to clearly hear anything! O.O

And I missed the "send girls away screaming!" scene! :O

That marathon can not come soon enough!

I saw parts of it, and...well, I think PUSA really overdid Harley. The character was already a pretty bad gay stereotype in the Japanese version and the 4Kids version, but the PUSA version just brings it to a whole new level.

I saw parts of it, and...well, I think PUSA really overdid Harley. The character was already a pretty bad gay stereotype in the Japanese version and the 4Kids version, but the PUSA version just brings it to a whole new level.

I don't think PUSA, (or the original writers), ever intended Harley to be a negative gay stereotype.

The gay members of the Pokemon fandom never thought Harley was an insult to them. I have yet to see one gay person on any Pokemon forums think the guy was an insult to them, but rather, I've seen them embrace him and love the guy.

Sure, PUSA may have given him too many over-the-top lines, but that's what makes Harley funny. If anyone really had a problem with Harley saying those things, someone would have complained about it. Nobody has, well, aside from you, but I'm sure you're not too bothered from it.

Really? I must've missed it.
At the beginning of OPO, Ash tells Nurse Joy that all the Pokémon look ok, then he asks where Grovyle is. Pikachu points it out, ready to fight Tropius, then Ash asks, "What th' heck is Grovyle doin'?!"

I'm so mad, I missed both episodes because my satalite went out and the DVR screwed up. And I was looking foward to "Harley Rides Again". Does anyone know when they will air the episodes again?

A quick trip to the episode guide reveals that both episodes will be rerun on November 10 as part as the BF marathon.

I don't think PUSA, (or the original writers), ever intended Harley to be a negative gay stereotype.

The gay members of the Pokemon fandom never thought Harley was an insult to them. I have yet to see one gay person on any Pokemon forums think the guy was an insult to them, but rather, I've seen them embrace him and love the guy.

Sure, PUSA may have given him too many over-the-top lines, but that's what makes Harley funny. If anyone really had a problem with Harley saying those things, someone would have complained about it. Nobody has, well, aside from you, but I'm sure you're not too bothered from it.

Dogasu's not the only one who think PUSA overdo Harley. He were a good annoying character in 4Kids dub, but now, he's really bad gay stereotype joke. And the new voice didn't help either, cause he (or even she?) is more effeminate than Rannels were. I really hate this new Harley.

I really don't see how people are making this argument about how Harley is too "effeminate" or "flamboyant" Harley was intended to be flamboyant from his very conception. He sways his hips as he walks, he uses feminine speech,
he dresses as May
, and in the original he does use such terms as "darling" "hon" and the like. He even refers to the group as Haruka's boys or something to that effect in one of the later Battle Frontier episodes. His character is supposed to be striking.

You know...Harley, Speedy Gonzales, Porky....

I barely ever hear people who are in the category being stereotyped complain, the people who aren't usually seem to more.

Oh, and Trainer Rachel, it looked like he still had the twig in the Deoxys ep, so no worries there.

Heh, okay ^_^ I personally didn't really care either way, but it's good to know.

Oh, and to those still wondering about why Ariados' appeal creeped everyone out... it's because it used "Scary Face" which I assume speaks for itself. Even though it didn't look scary to us over the TV screen, it wouldn't been if we were there... uh, yeah =P

While Harley isn't as extreme a stereotype as, say, Hard Gay (that's a link to a video of a Japanese comedian, by the way), he's still a stereotype of gay people played up for comedic effect not unlike the easily spooked, chicken-stealing, ape-like black kids who flooded the movie theatres in the 1930's.

The thing is that Harley's "gayness" is kept in the dub because it's a stereotype. HOWEVER, if Harley was a regular guy who just happened to date men, 4Kids and PUSA would be cutting footage left and right to "protect" kids from such "harmful" images. It's pretty sad when you think about it.

This reminds me of how in the GX dub, they removed Chronos' Italian stereotype from the dub, but give every other character an even worse stereotype...0.0

I really don't see stereotypes as that much of a problem though, I mean we need to learn to laugh at ourselves. Unless it is like hard-core stereotyping.

Heck, I'm not offended when people describe American's as overweight, tourist (a la Scott)

Laughing at oneself is one thing. Laughing at people who belong to a minority group you don't belong to is another.

Hmmm, I guess you have a point their.

Of course, I never associate stereotypes anyway. Like, I judge on the individual.

The thing is that Harley's "gayness" is kept in the dub because it's a stereotype. HOWEVER, if Harley was a regular guy who just happened to date men, 4Kids and PUSA would be cutting footage left and right to "protect" kids from such "harmful" images. It's pretty sad when you think about it.

So how come they left in Jenny flirting with Joy? And for that matter, pretty much all of Kelly's episode?

Jenny flirted with Joy?

Besides, all that Kelly stuff is simply the fans perverted minds...XD

Plus, it seems that two girls showing affection is WAY less taboo then two guys, for whatever reason.

Yeah, in the episode where the egg went missing and they had Detective Jenny trying to figure it out, she was pretty obviously flirting. Even called Joy "beautiful" which prompted Joy to blush and say "Me?"

It's been a while since I've seen it, but I remember thinking that it couldn't have been more obvious unless Jenny actually asked her out.

Are you sure?

Most girls I know say that to other girls, and it's no big deal.

Masukippa Habunake said:
Of course, I never associate stereotypes anyway. Like, I judge on the individual.

That's good. Unfortunately, not everyone is the same way.

Blackjack Gabbiani said:
So how come they left in Jenny flirting with Joy? And for that matter, pretty much all of Kelly's episode?

Those are all fan ships. If any of those characters ever stated, point blank, that they were lesbians, the scenes would have either been removed or rewritten for the dub.

Then again...

Masukippa Habunake said:
Plus, it seems that two girls showing affection is WAY less taboo then two guys, for whatever reason.

This is true.

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom