• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S11 EP36: Camping It Up!

There's a minor debate on what card game Ash and his friends were playing.

This fan base really is thorough!

Trump isn't even a game by itself (it's just a card term; or at least that's what it seems like to me). And no other card game I ever saw allows you to take other peoples cards as they did. There's Hearts that does have a trump, but the opponent doesn't take the cards he or she is given cards.

Let me put it this way no other game I know has you put down pairs of cards and you go around selecting cards from people. The only game I know that allows this is Old Maid, so if you know another game exactly like the one they did. Be my guest and tell me.

I've never even heard of trump before. I only mentioned Hikari said that because QuietDragon made it sound like it was an actual game. Trump being just a card term makes sense since the sub just called it cards. So I guess it could be Old Maid.

There's a minor debate on what card game Ash and his friends were playing.

This fan base really is thorough!

At least no one's accused them of playing Texas hold-em.

The reason I said old maid is that it looked like they were passing cards around and discarding pairs (didn't get a real good look at the cards in the pile).

"Trumps" is an actual card game http://www.pagat.com/invented/trumps.html but from what I remember, you don't actually take other people's cards. And I dunno why they would be saying "trump" in Old Maid :/
Odd because what I saw "Trump" just meant a specific card, or suit in a particular game. Like the game of Hearts were the Spades(?) are the trump suit but I didn't think Trumps was a game. Oh well.

At least no one's accused them of playing Texas hold-em.

The reason I said old maid is that it looked like they were passing cards around and discarding pairs (didn't get a real good look at the cards in the pile).
Exactly I rewatched the scene and paused at the cards. And there were pairs next to each other (some were separate but near each other, as if the cards were thrown). Plus the way they were playing it is exactly like old maid.

I mean it's possible they started with this trumps game but the game we saw was too much like Old Maid. Again if anyone knows a game similiar to old maid that has "trumps" in it, then go ahead and tell us.

And so, the school arc for the next four weeks begins! And we finally get to see Aoi, also known as Angie in the dub, which I approve of, it's a fitting name (my mom's nickname is Angie XP).

Random bickering at the beginning. Is it me, or does Rowan's voice sound weird here? Of course all three of you will be on the same team! *facepalm* And here is creepy Conway. :) Yeah, Rowan definitely sounds different here. lol at Ash ready with his own Pokeball. lol at another tomboy that Ash doesn't recognize. Meh, Angie's voice is okay afterall. And here's Monferno's debut! Which I hope Ash gets in the future. LOL at Piplup getting "sucked" into Grimer. That Magnemite actually fits Brock.

Conway even sounds creepy. Ah, Croconaw, which I haven't seen since...forever!! And Rowan's roar silences everyone, him intimidating Ash and Angie was win. Does Conway have to hold his glasses everytime he talks? I wonder if Grimer's interaction with Dawn is mimicking Muk's interaction with Ash. I don't know if this is a vague hint of any sort.

And Brock shows his skillz to the rest on feeding Magnemite. Why is Conway teaching the Venonat math? Dawn: "Amazing, you can pose any way I can!" Yeah, Dawn, it's the sludge Pokemon, and is amorphous, so it can take any form. -_-

That lecture...who can pay attention?! They're not that old, and what does that really have to do with Pokemon training?

Wooo boxer shot on Ash. :p Conway looks creepier with that nightgown...who wears them?? I can't believe they're showing cards on a Pokemon show. LOL at Ash's hair. That looks awesome on him. That little squiggle makes him look like a Jenny.

Dawn and Conway's battle was nice, so was Ash and Angie's. Geeky laugh. Ugh, Rowan's voice is still bothering me.

This was a good episode, amusing and entertaining. It was a good introduction to Angie, and Monferno as well. I hope this carries on into the following episodes.

"Dont just imagine, stay tuned!" the narrators gettin pretty bold there.

LOL I must've must've missed hearing that!

A certain dialogue moment that I liked...when Conway enters the team's room and Dawn tells him to leave. I found that little back-and-fourth interesting because usually they make the characters very warm and inviting (unlike reality). However, I liked how Dawn had a very realistic response by telling him to go back to his room and that she didn't really want to be with him...and then throwing a pillow at the door. Also, I connected with how they stayed up later than they were supposed to...

I know exactly what you mean, I felt the same way too, it looked natural.

Not too crazy for Aoi's dub name (come on Angie was the best they could come up with).

It was great to see Conway back.

It was a fun start to the saga and great to see Ash get so competive with Aoi.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom