• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S11 EP51: Jumping Rocket Ship!

Re: "Jumping Rocket Ship" review thread.

This episode contained one of the funniest moments ever on Pokemon: when Meowth remembers Jessie telling him "I didn't tell you to buy bread, I told you to buy BREAD!" In my opinion, this was really funny because all of the other flashbacks mentioned two different items.

Lots of Japanese BGM...and different title card music. Was this music PUSA or Japanese? I couldn't tell.

Also, did anyone notice the music editing mistake? If note, review the scene towards the end starting where Brock falls in love with the girl. You'll notice the "love" bgm does not come in on cue...and then everything after it in that scene comes after it should. For instance, the music that plays when Croagunk stabs Brock bleeds over into the next scene.

At times this episodes seemed to me to be a much worse copy of the episode when the Pokemon get lost after they abandon the sinking S.S. Anne....but it also had some originality which was good.

Overall: B+

At times this episodes seemed to me to be a much worse copy of the episode when the Pokemon get lost after they abandon the sinking S.S. Anne....but it also had some originality which was good.

What? This episode wasn't anything like "Island of the Giant Pokemon," if that's what you mean.

And there have been tons of "Pokemon get split up" episodes over the years, even in DP with that earlier maze shuffle episode.

This was a great episode!

My favorite part where I laughed the most was when Staravia was atracted by the dummy. It looked lik it turned in exactly a 90 degree angle. Also, it seemed after Staravia was lost Ash was to intersted in finding it. It makes me wonder if he is maybe choosing favorites. Cough Chimchar Cough

Meowth was a good character in this episode. I thought he did a excellent job trying to persuade the gang that he was turning to the good side. I thought Barry kind of knew what was going to happen.

Happiny is slowly becoming my favorite Pokemon in the show. Not only it but also al of Brock's Pokemon. They just have something about them that makes me like them.

Anyways Great episode like I said before and looking foreward to the gym match.

Hmm, the only problem I had with the episode was the animation and artwork for the most part. -_- Well, what do you expect from a low-budget anime? Overall, the story was great and Meowth finally got some spotlight time in a LONG time (as far as I remember). Plus, learning a new move = win for Meowth, and it's Night Slash! Wasn't expecting that...

Overall rating: 6.5/10 Correct me if I could do better/worse for this ep, people.

Hmm, the only problem I had with the episode was the animation and artwork for the most part. -_- Well, what do you expect from a low-budget anime?

B-but it was Natsume! T_T With Iwane on his team even! He did a good job I thought, for Pokemon standards anyway. I'd save my bitching for an episode animated by Takeda ;-)

DEFINITELY one of the most funniest episodes of all Sinnoh adventures, if not even THE funniest one!

This is one of those episodes that had so many funny things that I feel like I'm forgetting something.
Exactly! I couldn't agree more^^

Although this episode was meant not to be taken too seriously but rather reminded of a slapstick comedy, it nevertheless had many adult and profound comments and scenes (Meowth reflecting on his past, just to name one)

While watching the episode I could hardly stop laughing, as it sure was a firework of gags!
I can't even tell my favorite scene, but if I had to decide on one , I guess, I'd choose the scene where Piplup, being "dethroned" as leader and therefore being depressed, is admitting his failure and is letting the others pass.
A picture is worth a thousand words :D Great!

I'd also like to mention some other things which cracked me up:
- The twerps trying to find the right position for the photo saying "back back back" and "right right right" all the time. XD

-Staravia being attracted and admiring the fake-Staravia

-The expression on Pikachu's face when he is mistrusting Meowth's lip service. Priceless!

- The scene in which both Ash and Co. and Team Rocket are finding the group with Pikachu and Meowth simultaneously and Meowth is being overjoyed but suddenly remembers that the twerps' Pokemon are standing next to him and therefore is pretending to panic over the alleged threat. :D
That Meowth is so crazy which, however, makes him absolutely hilarious at the same time, too.

- Croagunk sitting on random boats and turning up happily here and there. His "Come on, leave me in peace with all your stuff" -attitude is amazing again and again

- Ash and Co. trying to convince Meowth that it woud be the best to abandon Team Rocket and pursue a career in the media. Can you imagine Meowth as cheeky little salesman with suit and tie? :-D

- And, of course, today's highlight: Meowth going berserk and knocking out each and everbody in his way! Despite so many adventures which he's already been in, this cat hasn't lost it's energy, but rocks as only few others can rock in Pokemon.
I'd say Meowth is like a bottle of wine: The older the better!

Does somebody happen to know how that piece of music is called which is playing when Meowth is seeing Jessie and James being hit and reflecting on their common past? I haven't heard it in Pokemon yet and I think it was a completely new one. Anyways, it was pretty moving and fitted in perfectly!

Really a hilarious episode and a masterpiece as well!
8/9 out of 10 points

Last edited:
Does somebody happen to know how that piece of music is called which is playing when Meowth is seeing Jessie and James being hit and reflecting on their common past? I haven't heard it in Pokemon yet and I think it was a completely new one. Anyways, it was pretty moving and fitted in perfectly!
It's from the Celebi movie. You know, the music that plays when Celebi is being brought back to life.

The artwork in this ep was why it was so funny. All of Meowth's and TR's expressions were great.

Pretty great episode, and these episodes are usually very fun. The writers picked up their game on this one, because the whole TR/Meowth thing in the end was hilarious and made it even better.

It's from the Celebi movie. You know, the music that plays when Celebi is being brought back to life.
Oh, in that case it's no surprise that I can't remember it, because the Celebi-movie was one of the few movies I couldn't watch unfortunately.

btw, that Canalave City with all its alleys and canals somehow reminded me of Venice. It was strange, though, that you could hardly see any people :eh: Only in one scene, when Pikachu had finally found Ash again

It took Ash and o. a LONG time to get to Hearthome and they just take a blimp to Canalave!! I thought Barry would stay for longer though since he's a good character in the anime

Wow, I liked Meowth in this one. It's good to see him as a Pokémon and not another human who happens to be very short and furry. Also, Billy Mays.

This episode made me consider the possibilities of Meowth leaving Team Rocket. It would be a very interesting change of pace.

...I half expect David Bowie to find solace there.
That's exactly what I thought! I was very happy Meowth beat Empoleon. Overall I really liked this one. :-D

I watched about 5 min of it this morning on CN and I have to ask something. Are the kids THAT dim-witted? I mean, seriously, can't they tell that it's Team Rocket? haha! This is the prime example why I ignore the human characters in the anime and focus on the Pokemon. In my opinion, they're smarter.

Last edited:
Meowth was themed in this one that was a good episode! Plus Barry growing impatient and blaming Ash was funny too

Evil Squirtle, that's a very common thing in animation, and Pokemon is hardly the only show to do it. Ever watch the old Inspector Gadget cartoons? MAD, the bad guys, could go around with their logos plastered on all their vehicles (and even uniforms) and nobody ever noticed.

Well, another one is Scooby Doo. But I think the anime's purpose nowadays is to attract 5 year olds and to make people laugh.

You forgot their intention of selling mind controlling Pochama toys to take over the world... MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

But yeah, that's always been their intention ;-) It's not like the anime was ever anything more than a lovable, 20 minute long advertising billboard.

Haha! Episode begins and Barry already makes me laugh. Love it when he's impatient. What's with that seating posture though? Wow, that's not what I imagined Canalave to look like. Different BMG for episode title? lol at Ash patting Barry's back. Still loving his impatience. Aaah, old Kanto music! Sounds weird when it's clear and digitized. Brock's voice there sounded gnarly. Barry, what? Fine all of them? what'll that do?? O_O.

lol at Mime Jr.'s imitations. I can't believe Pachirisu fell for it. Damn, that Empoleon is obese. lol at Barry still hatin'!! The BGMs for this episode sure is wacky. odd screencap before the fade-out--Gliscor flying away after it popped the balloon. lol at Croagunk on a gondola!! I don't think it seems to care that it's separated. Aw, poor Grotle, Happiny,...and Empoleon. Pachirisu, seriously? Still believing everything Meowth says? And Staravia's still stupidly attracted to that mecha-'Ravia. Aww, Grotle got tired. I have to admit, I sure love the new expressions they use nowadays.

More Kanto nostalgia! I bet citizens of Canalave City use a GPS, cause there's no way you can avoid so many dead-ends. Hehe, that was funny coming from Brock, "What in the world is wrong with this place?" That's why Byron digs holes! What's with Croagunk chillin' on a barge? Now a boat? How can Jessie talk perfectly with her tongue sticking out?? I love it how Ash forgot Staravia. That was some fast dialogue from Piplup. Hahaha! I love it how everyone is sympathetic to Meowth's story while Barry has that sneer on his face!! :D Wow Brock really? That was a horrible line. Let's forget that Pokemon are missing, we must eat frst. I dunno, the way he said that...

Meowth's imagination: Shamwow. Now Ash thinks of Staravia and Croagunk. Heh, Staravia's expression after the mecha-'Ravia fell into the water. Yeah, you got punk'd. "Blow the door"? More like slide...lol at the dramatic hits. What's with the music?? Never heard it before...Aaah, Meowth goes nuts! Barry gets Starred! And Empoleon almost gets owned! Can't believe none of these guys realize Meowth's words mean nothing at all. And after all that Staravia comes out of nowhere, lame music in tow. Shows how lame it is, poor thing. And Ash, how could you forget so easily that Croagunk is left, when you said it yourself just a moment ago?? I didn't know he had memory problems...or did he?

What a topsy-turvy episode. From this to that, and random moments here and there, it sure was entertaining. Thanks to Barry, Mime Jr. and a little of Croagunk.

ash_forever said:
btw, that Canalave City with all its alleys and canals somehow reminded me of Venice. It was strange, though, that you could hardly see any people

Like Alto Mare? Yeah. Canalave is my favorite city in Sinnoh. Same with Alto Mare as my favorite setting in all movies. You know where I'm getting at by now. ;)

I didn't get why there no people either. Would more people cause more commotion than it already is?

Evil Squirtle said:
This is the prime example why I ignore the human characters in the anime and focus on the Pokemon. In my opinion, they're smarter.

That's the impression I get too. This show is really based on the monsters, not the humans that control them, etc.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom