• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S12 EP49: Mastering Current Events!

Do you honestly think the current writers on the show are the same guys from 12 years ago?

Most of them actually are, sans a few. :p

Bulbapedia lists all the writers/directors of the anime, in case you want to research it.

Having said that, I'm not too sad over Gliscor's release. Being the unfortunate 6th member, I often forgot he was even in the team like Snorunt back in AG, and the few times he popped up he lost most of his battles. Anyway, its not like Ash forced him to stay either, Gliscor chose to remain to get better.

The difference is Snorunt/Glalie was only around for like 15 episodes, Gliscor was on Ash's team for almost 100 episodes.

The difference is Snorunt/Glalie was only around for like 15 episodes, Gliscor was on Ash's team for almost 100 episodes.

You know, that actually helps his point more, rather than defeating it. I mean if a Pokemon that was only on Ash's team for almost 100 episodes didn't leave an impact on him like a Pokemon that was only on his team for 15 episodes, that speaks how greatly he valued Gliscor's time with Ash's company.

As for my thoughts, I thought that this was a great way to close Gliscor's arc. It did go out with a bang by holding it's own against Scizor in the second fight, and the montage was kind of heartwarming, even if was short and only highlighted the best parts about it. Like everyone else, I laughed out loud when Ash said that Gliscor helped him greatly in his Gym Battles.

First off, that was not some "random mook," that was a Pokemon Master. See how old that guy is? He's had that many years of experience to perfect his art. And He's on his home turf.

Second, Gliscor is a flying scorpion. It's even called the Fang Scorpion Pokemon.

And I thought that song came from the Arceus Movie

Age does not equal mastery in Pokemon. If Ash was going to become the master he has been trying to be for 13 years, he should be able to beat the old mook. And with Fire Fang being 4X to Scizor, it obviously was not strong enough, showing signs of inadequite training. Fire Fang landed 3 hits, it should have KO Scizor.

Age does not equal mastery in Pokemon. If Ash was going to become the master he has been trying to be for 13 years, he should be able to beat the old mook. And with Fire Fang being 4X to Scizor, it obviously was not strong enough, showing signs of inadequite training. Fire Fang landed 3 hits, it should have KO Scizor.

That's the games. Plot got banished from the games for not paying it's taxes. Here in the anime, plot is the supreme dictator and decides who lives and who dies, regardless of the laws of the games.

Details, Details. Crazy Yanmega didn't mean master as in what Ash is going for, but McCann was a specific master. In what? Air battles. Even Dawn or McCann's granddaughter said he was unbeatable in air battles.

Now I can't say for sure if McCann would be able to win if it was an Elite Four specializing in Flying types or a Champion whose main Pokemon is flying or even someone like Lance (or any champion) with a Charizard/Moltres/etc.

But suffice to say McCann in Air Battles was probably close to an Elite Four member in terms of strength and prowess, or maybe more like League Tournament winner. Regardless Ash wouldn't have won easily if he was going to win. But that whole unbeatable thing really makes it even more difficult for Ash to win. If this was Pokeringer, I'm sure McCann would kick Ash's butt before Ash knew what happened.

About Fire Fang, while true it is 4x effective against Scizor, let's keep in mind that Elite Four level Pokemon don't just get knocked out. You think Cynthia's Garchomp would be OHKO so easily by a powerful ice attack?

You know, that actually helps his point more, rather than defeating it. I mean if a Pokemon that was only on Ash's team for almost 100 episodes didn't leave an impact on him like a Pokemon that was only on his team for 15 episodes, that speaks how greatly he valued Gliscor's time with Ash's company.

Why? Snorunt was in all those eps but all Ash was doing was training it how to learn Ice Beam in every ep. Snorunt failed in Sootopolis Gym and didn't even get a single win. When it evolves into Glalie it becomes a powerhouse in the league.

In Gliscor's case, it has a better Gym track record than Snorunt. And we haven't gotten to the Sinnoh league yet, to see IF it comes back and gets some wins.

Realistically its an insult that Gliscor is being shoved aside while the borefest that is Staraptor sticks around.

So it's Charizard's Burning Ambitions... but without any emotional resonance. Huh.

Sorry, I tried to watch the ep with an open mind, I really did. But it was just so boring. Twerps show up, twerps meet some really cocky people, Gliscor battles and loses, Gliscor battles and puts up a good fight but loses again, cocky old man offers to train Gliscor, everyone gives a group "Sure, why not?", episode ends. Well, okay then.

Kudos to the use of "I'll Always Remember You". Although I would have liked for them to use the vocal portions throughout, instead of just during Gliscor's flashback. Speaking of, who exactly chose the scenes used in that sequence? Because it was a pretty awful selection. Gligar's capture, Gligar's evolution. Good. A bunch of battle clips, with absolutely no use being made out of the enormous amount of clips of Gligar/Gliscor glomping Ash or any other of their several cute moments? Wtf? There's certainly someone here forgetting that the Pokémon are more than mindless battling machines.

Good parts include the always-appreciated incredibly random Piplip abuse, and TRio's epic fail motto. The episode simply just lacked the memorable or touching moments that it really, really needed.

pages worth of moaning and bitching

I'm cool with releases. Quite frankly, this episode is the only one where I actually liked Gliscor. Throughout its run, it bored me to tears, but at the end of the episode today, I want him to come back for the League. Not in the Paul match, he needs to be light years from that match, but for the Barry match. I would love for Gliscor to get its revenge on Roserade and show its newfound flying skill to defeat Barry's Staraptor... but not in the Paul match, that would destroy what the rivalry stood for.

Realistically its an insult that Gliscor is being shoved aside while the borefest that is Staraptor sticks around.

So then releases are okay... just not the pokémon you like. Nice to know...

So it's Charizard's Burning Ambitions... but without any emotional resonance. Huh.

The writers tend to botch goodbye episodes sometimes. Just like May's goodbye was severely rushed, at least Gliscor actually got a flashback montage!

So then releases are okay... just not the pokémon you like. Nice to know...

I didn't mean released, I just meant Staraptor could have never been captured in the first place, with Gliscor being the resident flying type this gen.

That way you-know-who could have been the 6th team member, Ash wouldn't have to get rid of anything, and Staraptor is just redundant after Swellow and the thing has no personality.

Last edited:
About Fire Fang, while true it is 4x effective against Scizor, let's keep in mind that Elite Four level Pokemon don't just get knocked out. You think Cynthia's Garchomp would be OHKO so easily by a powerful ice attack?
I guess it goes to show how the anime differs from the game as well and maybe isn't so true to the type-effectiveness. If you think about it they have changed the effectiveness of moves in the anime such as Electric-type moves hurting Ground Pokemon and such.

I didn't mean released, I just meant Staraptor could have never been captured in the first place, with Gliscor being the resident flying type this gen.
The thing is that would have broken Ash's recurring theme of catching the common bird Pokemon as he has had Pidgeot from Kanto, Swellow from Hoenn, and now Staraptor from Sinnoh. As well it stays realistic as the common bird Pokemon is always one of the first seen and Ash needed some sort of flying-type to help him find Pikachu.

The thing is that would have broken Ash's recurring theme of catching the common bird Pokemon as he has had Pidgeot from Kanto, Swellow from Hoenn, and now Staraptor from Sinnoh. As well it stays realistic as the common bird Pokemon is always one of the first seen and Ash needed some sort of flying-type to help him find Pikachu.

It would have been a good thing to break that pattern, as DP broke many others.

Staraptor was nice as a Staravia but it quickly lost its appeal. Swellow was Ash's best bird and having yet another one that's almost a clone of it with a different design was pointless.

It's a shame to see Gliscor go while the resident boring bird stays. It doesn't even have the cool "This is Ash's first bird that actually battles" theme going for it like Swellow did.

It's a shame to see Gliscor go while the resident boring bird stays. It doesn't even have the cool "This is Ash's first bird that actually battles" theme going for it like Swellow did.

But it does have the "extremely powerful attacks that make the first bird that actual battled look like a Caterpie" so...

Anyway, Staraptor had no impact on Gliscor, they both had two different roles as battlers and whatever Ash needed/needs them for.

I also forgot, Gliscor was used in the Galactic finale against all those Golbat (helping Pikachu fly), as well as during the final ep.

Gliscor was important enough to be in the Galactic finale, how about that?

I also forgot, Gliscor was used in the Galactic finale against all those Golbat (helping Pikachu fly), as well as during the final ep.

Gliscor was important enough to be in the Galactic finale, how about that?

Oh look ! Straws and you're grasping at them...

It didn't do anything except let Pikachu piggyback him to take down Golbats... Staraptor was also used and you were calling for its head earlier...

Desperation is not a good color on you. You should try a nice shade of STFU "not being so overdramatic" instead.

I swear, I think Scott's becoming the things he hates the most.

Jotho and Misty fans ;)

Also, I forgot to mention how I liked how they changed up Team Rocket's blast off this time by the wind actually "blasting" them off.

Honestly, I was getting more of a Charizard/Squirtle vibe from this than an actual release.

Mind you, a "vibe" isn't anything really to go by. But since he didn't actually release it (Like, there wasn't that blue ray from the ball), the odds of seeing it are much higher than, say, Lapras or Pidgeot.

As I watched, was thinking "already one of my favorites", great mis-en-scen!

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom