• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S14 EP14: A Night in the Nacrene City Museum!

Ah, I see. Thanks for explaining. =)

EDIT: And by the way, my only gripe with this episode is the title. They could've EASILY made the title into a pun. All they had to do was change one word. =P

I mean, if they had just changed "in" to "at", then the title would've been "Night At The Nacrene City Musuem", which would've been a pun on the "Night At The Museum" movies. This makes me wonder why TPCi stopped putting puns in the episode titles. =o

Last edited:
Regarding your post Queen Cynthia I've got only one thing to say to it... You're really going to love the Litwick episode, maybe more so than this.

Cilan made me laugh with his ridiculous scientific theories. He was going too overboard with them. But I especially loved it when Cilan realized his scientific theories weren't making sense and he didn't even believe himself.

I'm sorry, but I can't help but feel like laughing at the people who think Lenora's apron not being there is an edit done by TPCI. Just no dubbing company can make an edit that professional. In fact I didn't even realize she was missing her apron until it was pointed out. That is how you can tell it was an edit done by the writers of the show and not the dubbers.

Last edited:
Iris said it was an "angry spirit", and it's an angry spirit after all.

Not the type of "spirit" she had in mind, though. She good as acknowledged she was wrong about the curse thing when she told Cilan that her explanation was "closer than" his. He may have been pulling those "scientific" explanations out of his ass, but there's no doubt in my mind that Iris was equally full of it when she went on about that "sixth sense" of hers. :p

Last edited:
This is exactly like the Croagunk festival episode. Japan sent TPCI an edited episode. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the version that will be rerun in Japan.

Wait, the Apron's removal from Ken Sugumori's artwork of Lenora was before this episode even aired in Japan right? So why didn't the Animators remove the apron in the very first place if that's so?

It's probably similar to what happened with the ending of Pokemon 4Ever. I bet there's 2 different versions of the episode now. The original one that aired in Japan with Lenora's apron, and the edited version that TPCi received.

It's possible that TPCi saw the first version, and after that, they asked Japan or comissioned them to remove the apron.

Wow, I actually liked the dub of this episode. The voices weren't all that annoying sans the voice of the Yamask, it was shitty as hell. The TR plot is also heating up with each episode, I'm curious whether the TPCi airs the two-parter. I mean, if it's possible that they got the edited shot of Lenora from Japan, maybe the same will occur with the Team Rocket VS Team Plasma episodes?

Iris and Cilan - science vs supernatural - nature vs technology. I doubt we'd ever get this sort of funny interactions if writer brought in Whitlea/Hilda instead of Iris. It's just their chemistry that works, they seem like actual friends. :]

Though Cilan's explanations were pretty much, eh ... LOL? :)

I didnt like lenora's voice I thought her voice will be more like the black woman from tom & jarry!!or at least speaks with the same assent.

I think the size of dragonites skeleton was not huge

I liked when Iris said "actually Ash is the only kid here" LOLLL Iris is awesome ^^

Wow, I actually liked the dub of this episode. The voices weren't all that annoying sans the voice of the Yamask, it was shitty as hell. The TR plot is also heating up with each episode, I'm curious whether the TPCi airs the two-parter. I mean, if it's possible that they got the edited shot of Lenora from Japan, maybe the same will occur with the Team Rocket VS Team Plasma episodes?

Iris and Cilan - science vs supernatural - nature vs technology. I doubt we'd ever get this sort of funny interactions if writer brought in Whitlea/Hilda instead of Iris. It's just their chemistry that works, they seem like actual friends. :]

Though Cilan's explanations were pretty much, eh ... LOL? :)

whats the "if it's possible that they got the edited shot of Lenora" ???

whats the "if it's possible that they got the edited shot of Lenora" ???
Some people assume that TPCi got the shot with Lenora without her apron from Japan already edited, since it apparently looks to good.

So, I was thinking if that were the case, possibly the same thing might happen with the Rocket VS Plasma episodes. Or maybe it's just wishful thinking.

Wait, the Apron's removal from Ken Sugumori's artwork of Lenora was before this episode even aired in Japan right? So why didn't the Animators remove the apron in the very first place if that's so?
Because the episode was completed months prior to the official artwork's alteration. I'm not sure how it works with pokemon in particular, but just one half hour episode of an animated show can take up to 6 months to complete. A change to this extent isn't a quick fix, especially in the episodes coming up.

Some people assume that TPCi got the shot with Lenora without her apron from Japan already edited, since it apparently looks to good.

So, I was thinking if that were the case, possibly the same thing might happen with the Rocket VS Plasma episodes. Or maybe it's just wishful thinking.

oo I'm sure that TPCi got the shot edited from japan,because it's impossible to be edited like this,its a whole remake of these scenes,and WHY THE HELL did they removed her apron !?? whats the Fu**ng point !?

It might be wishful thinking but if Shopro can do it, they can do it.

Is anyone going to comment on Hawes's hilarious scream as the Knight helmet chased him.

oo I'm sure that TPCi got the shot edited from japan,because it's impossible to be edited like this,its a whole remake of these scenes,and WHY THE HELL did they removed her apron !?? whats the Fu**ng point !?

It's not impossible.

Also
Nacrene City Gym Leader Lenora also brought up concerns of racism. While no complaints were filed, actions were taken to alter her clothing. Lenora's original artwork, as well as her in game sprites, depict her wearing a large apron. Concerns arose that people outside of Japan would allude Lenora to the Mammy archetype. Similar to Lenora, the mammy is a dark skin-toned woman who wears a handkerchief on her head and an apron. Because of the similarity, Lenora's artwork was change from her wearing the apron to her having it slung over her shoulder. Despite this, Lenora's in-game sprites were not altered in the international release of Black and White.

In the original version of A Night in the Nacrene City Museum!, Lenora was depicted wearing her apron. But when the episode debuted in the United States, her apron was removed completely.

It's not impossible.

Also
no IT ISimpossible to do this because in order to do this you need to redraw the whole character,editors can only hide or recolor things but they cant redraw,this edit must be made within the source files of the episode,this means that the illustrators must delete her body and ask the animatorors to redraw these parts,and you will see when the episode airs again in japan lenora will be the same as in the dub.

Cilan was completely stupid in this episode. It's great to be the logical guy but it just doesn't work here.

The Science vs Magic thing would work, except for one small problem.

They live in a world filled with creatures that can spew fire, shoot lightning, and explode without dying!

You can't use "There's a scientific reason for everything single thing" when you live in a world with magic.
Like Rath mentioned earlier, what's considered magic in our world isn't necessarily considered as magic in their world. Creatures with power over elements are the norm; they've got less of a reason to consider that weird. Heck, someone who hasn't seen stuff like electricity and computers in their life might immediately think those things are magic first, not science/technology. And hey, the more advanced the science/technology or magic, the more the lines blur between the two, right?

I'd say they simply ran out of time. Episodes are completed like about six or seven months (possibly longer?) before they air. If my memory serves me right, the art change happened not long before the episodes were due to air in Japan. If the change happened earlier, they probably would have changed it in time.

EDIT: And I'm ninja'd beyond belief. Oh well!

Last edited:
Once again, basically everything Cilan said about Nacrene City is based actual information on Brooklyn Heights in real life, except that the warehouses aren't painted all crazy like that.

I thought Yamask's voice was adorable.

I enjoyed Lenora's voice actor as well as her attitude and her hole in the story. The museum guy is a character of the day I actually liked and had some personality.

I find it odd that Cilan is skeptical of ghosts in a world where Ghost type Pokémon exist, yet he takes accepts the idea of a meteorite having "cosmic energy" at face value.

And though I generally disapprove of edits just for the sake of "not offending" people, but as what could possibly be considered the first explicitly black character in the Pokémon anime, I really don't mind Lenora not having the apron.

I thought the episode's plot was kinda blah, but it was dubbed really well. I didn't think Yamask sounded that bad really. But wow. Lenora's voice fit her very nicely. According to Bulbapedia, I'm guessing her VA is new? At any rate, she did a good job. I can't wait until next week.

Oh, and I didn't even notice the edit until I saw it mentioned here. But that's probably because I haven't seen this episode in a while.

The people who think it's actually possible for TPCI to be able to do an edit of this scale have no idea how animation actually works.

matt0044 said:

Work on this episode started back in June 2010. The updated Sugimori artwork didn't show up until sometime in September. By that point, the episode was too far along for them to go back and change it.

However, it's now been about five months since the episode aired in Japan, so they've had the time to go back to this (and presumably the next two episodes) and redraw her body.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom