• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S16 EP27: Danger, Sweet as Honey!

A very forgettable episode. It has about every overdone gag in Pokemon, though some we haven't seen for a while, like the pitfall trap. Even Meowth feeling bad for receiving kindness is overdone in BW. Ash's recognition of his own stupidity in falling for it again is probably one of the few positives out of it, besides having Combee of course.

Charizard and Dragonite being reduced to Unfezant duty is sad.

I liked the new commercial we got. We were due one with Decolora starting. Only problem is: the fact that it was all about Team Rocket and seemed to have been showing what they’ve been doing these first two episodes (tricking Ash and Co. with disguises) REALLY worries me for the rest of Decolora. -_-

So the episode starts okay. It’s obviously another filler. It seems interesting enough. But then…what? Team Rocket in disguises? You can’t be serious. Are we REALLY doing this again? And OSHAWOTT?! AGAIN?! We just did this a week ago! And quit getting in cars with strangers!

WHY ARE THEY ONLY STEALING PIKACHU?! Why is he so easy to get back? Because you didn’t even bother to get Oshawott or Axew!!

How convenient, Kakuna evolution time! Which Porter also conveniently forgot to mention. Of course, we needed something preventing this from being too easy.

“Do you think they could have gotten lost?”- Cilan
…….Axew……lost? …No……NOOOOOO!!!

Why does Meowth not even want Oshawott or Axew? Didn’t he realize a few minutes ago what happens when you don’t go for all of them? I’m glad Pikachu wasn’t so gullible. I would have been seriously pissed if he had been.

“Ursaring, Oh my!”- Cilan. Alright, Cilan is preventing this from being totally horrible.

Pikachu should know by now to NEVER trust Meowth. He traveled with them in DP and still betrayed them. The fact that he’s even slightly falling for it is a problem!

Ash finally says something smart: They let themselves get tricked for the 10 millionth, kajillionth time! At this point, it’s pretty much their own faults. It was also interesting that James doubted Woobat’s ability to (or maybe Jessie’s reasoning for) attack Dragonite and Charizard.

On a side note: Victreebel’s still screaming, which is awesome. Though, I really liked its original cry better; It just sounded insane.

I will admit: it was pretty cute that Pikachu, Axew, and Oshawott healed Meowth like that. Even though it was short.

Wait...so NOW Pikachu wants to be hesitant to get in a car with a stranger? Where was this hesitation back on the damn boat? Or the beginning of this episode? These inconsistencies are really annoying.

So Meowth doesn’t want to attack his “new buddies”? What the hell, Meowth? You were Paralyzed, not dying! And you’re gonna try and steal them again? Why not attack?

Well we FINALLY get back to doing what we were supposed to be doing this whole time and Cilan is a bit too excited about that honey. I don’t even have anything to really say here except that Oshawott was adorable stuffing that entire thing in his face. But the glaring issue here is:

This episode was still ANOTHER REPEAT FILLER!! I can’t stand this! This could have been something interesting and just turned into another one of Team Rocket’s schemes. This many times in a row (within the same episode, even), it's extremely painful that they can't see though Team Rocket's disguises. But this is something Ash's lacked the ability to do for more than 10 years now, so I can't really complain that much. This episode gets 2/10.

So, Ash and friends are headed to a place called Honey Island. I think I can guess what’s going to happen.

First of all, Oshawott is here, AGAIN! UGH! Moving on, I have to give Team Rocket credit. Their past plans have actually been good. Though I felt that this one wasn’t as good as the last one. Just having Ash and co. fall down a hole was way too easy to escape from. Not to mention that Oshawott was free to attack. But anyway, as expected, the trainers get separated from the Pokemon.

I don’t even understand how Axew got separated with him being in Iris’s hair, but who knows. Maybe somehow, he just slipped out. Once again, Meowth does his whole nice guy act, which Oshawott and Axew fall for. I guess maybe they forgot the Nimbassa situation. I was actually surprised that Pikachu didn’t show that much anger and actually went along with Meowth.

And so the time has unfortunately come. The time when Charizard becomes a scouter. Well at least he was used to battle. And lol at Jessie actually having Woobat challenge Charizard and Dragonite. I totally thought it was going to blasted. And thank you Ash for admitting that you were dumb enough to let yourself get tricked by Team Rocket AGAIN!

And another surprise, Axew is actually useful and helps heal Meowth. Too bad Meowth ends up feeling remorseful about trying to attack them later, though. Anyway, the gang wins and they eat their honey treats.

So this episode was okay, but it was kind of predictable. 4/10.

I've always enjoyed these kind of episodes: Ash and co. and Team Rocket (and their Pokemon) get lost somewhere and have to work together to find their way back. I liked that Ash's Pikachu didn't trust Meowth for a minute (knowing what usually happens in these types of scenarios). I though the scene where Meowth got swallowed by a Victreebel and Pikachu and friends helped him out after was really cute, and I liked that at the end Meowth had a little reluctance to attack them (but not too much).
So far I'm liking this filler arc. It's a good opportunity to bring old Pokemon back into the anime on a wide scale. :)

On a side note, did anyone else think the scene where Meowth, Pikachu, Oshawott and Axew used the wood board to get across the river was a reference to Watership Down?

These are the kinds of episodes nearly everyone else seems to hate, that I actually enjoy a lot. Sure, they're clearly filler episodes, but filler =/= bad if I still enjoy myself watching these kinds of episodes in the process. This was a fun episode to watch, very funny, and overall an enjoyable experience.

Of course I really loathe Team Rocket these days, but then they're not leaving anytime soon, so I guess it's nice to see them back to their goofy selves...somewhat...and disappointing as well at the same time. I know, I'm fickle about them, but I can't help it. XD.

The voice actors seemed to loosen up a lot more than usual, seemed to have fun with what they were doing, and as a result the episode was that much more enjoyable. :thumbup:

Rating: 8/10

Might as well do my job and point out which prior ep got rehashed: "Bound For Trouble" from S2. (And both eps take place in archipelagos. How's that for "been there, done that"?) As well as so many other eps that I won't bother trying to list them all. And speaking of "been there, done that," Ash really needs to have his eyes and ears checked. Even J&J pointed out how stupid he was to have fallen for the disguise.

Something else that bothers me: why do Ash & co. always run from wild Pokémon like that? Seriously, why? Pikachu's proven himself capable of taking out an entire Beedrill swarm. (Watch "For Crying Out Loud." They did a lot of running in that ep, too.) Charizard and Dragonite are supposed to be the toughest muthas around. Throw in Pignite for good measure, and they could probably take on every Beedrill on the island, as well as that Ursaring for good measure. So why run?

At least James was smart enough to question Jessie for sending out her little Woobat against two powerful dragons. Is there something in the water that makes everyone dumb?

Meowth getting stunned by that Victreebel had shades of "The Stun Spore Detour," also from S2. And Our Gang getting their sweet reward at the end reminded me of "The Breeding Center Secret" and "Ignorance Is Blissey." The more I watch BW, the more nostalgic I get for the good ol' days.

I wasn't looking forward to the dub of this episode at all and I'm kind of indifferent on this episode. It was not that much of a bore to watch through, but it wasn't exciting either. Just your typical filler with reused (or overused if you like) plot elements.

I really liked Kakuna's evolution into Beedrill, that looked great. But Beedrill is an overused Pokémon in the anime (well okay, it has been a long time since its last appearance, but still). I also liked seeing a Victreebel again and that it retained its scream, it should've been way higher pitched though, as with James's Victreebel. Funny how its scream really fitted Victreebel's hysterical cameo role in this episode though.

A few dub things: In that short scene where Porter remembers he should've told about the Beedrill, Porter sounded really, really emotionless to me. It still isn't even known who his voice actor is, is it? Also, did my ears deceive me, or did I hear the Remoraid say "Teppouo", its Japanese name? They didn't even bother to dub it. Lame.

All in all, this episode wasn't all that special to me. I give it a 5/10.

Last edited:
Ash admitting to being at fault for being so damn gullible to Team Rocket's tricks is the sole highlight of this episode. I actually laughed when he said that.

Otherwise, forgettable filler city. Not that being a filler is bad by virtue, but this whole episode was either not very interesting or had a major "been there, done that" vibe. Too bad they couldn't finish off with a random Onix/Steelix chasing the group to round out the choice Pokemon that always get used in these types of episodes. Reeeeally had a feeling that the rehash was entirely intentional. Too bad it wasn't... y'know, interesting or funny, like callbacks should be.

Still, that line by Ash... I totally didn't expect that. That was pure gold.

Just one thing I noted: did anyone else notice these two had some Canadian-esque accents? I admit, I LOL'ed when I heard their voices.

canadian couple.png

This episode REALLY shows how this season is just gonna be like DP. The episode's format is just like a DP episode :/ But I did like that they had the return of Team Rocket yelling "We're Blasting off Again!"

Being a fan of Beedrill, I definitely liked this episode. Their voices are definitely are a lot better than just bee sound effects when 4Kids was dubbing.

Being a fan of Beedrill, I definitely liked this episode. Their voices are definitely are a lot better than just bee sound effects when 4Kids was dubbing.

I actually liked the bee sound effects more in the 4Kids dub myself for the Beedrill. IDK why, but I feel they made the Beedrill feel more realistic and more like real-life creatures in that way. That, or it's my nostalgia talking. XD.

What was the point of changing Victreebel's voice if Beedrill is clearly saying "Spear" in the same episode? Well, I can't complain a lot about that because its voice is just almost identical as the original one. They even left its last "line" as-is and you can't notice it's another actor. It was a good dub, to tell the truth, except that they didn't keep any of the BGM used during the Beedrill scenes. And Jessie and James are doing new rhymes for the motto introduction again!

Ash admitting to being at fault for being so damn gullible to Team Rocket's tricks is the sole highlight of this episode. I actually laughed when he said that.

I did the same thing! It's been quite a while since we've had properly funny exchanges between Ash and TR.

I liked this episode. I'm really not a fan of how they handled arcs in Best Wishes, so seeing a self-contained filler with a silly plot is quite enjoyable for me. I might be begging for it to stop in a few weeks but I'm happy for now.

There were a lot of callbacks to older episodes in this too, which I liked.

What was the point of changing Victreebel's voice if Beedrill is clearly saying "Spear" in the same episode? Well, I can't complain a lot about that because its voice is just almost identical as the original one. They even left its last "line" as-is and you can't notice it's another actor. It was a good dub, to tell the truth, except that they didn't keep any of the BGM used during the Beedrill scenes. And Jessie and James are doing new rhymes for the motto introduction again!

Victreebel sounds pretty good and close to its original actor. Not as good, but still good. I could tell the difference, but it's very minute and hard to notice. Pretty funny to hear at any rate.

I actually liked the 4Kids dub Beedrill the best: apparently more than the JPN version's "Spear." XD.

The only real drawback to the dub of this episode is that it seems like Team Rocket's going back to the rhyming and alliterations again for me.

I liked Ash's line about Team Rocket the most. That was totally unexpected!

Victreebel sounds pretty good and close to its original actor. Not as good, but still good. I could tell the difference, but it's very minute and hard to notice. Pretty funny to hear at any rate.

I actually liked the 4Kids dub Beedrill the best: apparently more than the JPN version's "Spear." XD.

The only real drawback to the dub of this episode is that it seems like Team Rocket's going back to the rhyming and alliterations again for me.

Uh, as far as I know Beedrill always kept its Japanese voice even back in the 4Kids days.

Uh, as far as I know Beedrill always kept its Japanese voice even back in the 4Kids days.

Wow, I guess to me it sounded better before than it does now. Does the same actor or actress voice it now, or is it a different one?

Was this a repeat.

Sure I've seen it a few times.

Beedrills chasing ash and friends.

Everyone getting separated and Meowth and Pikachu end up wandering around together.

Anyone else getting fed up now of the generic repeated video during the team rocket entry.

This episode REALLY shows how this season is just gonna be like DP. The episode's format is just like a DP episode :/ But I did like that they had the return of Team Rocket yelling "We're Blasting off Again!"

Huh?

You act like formulaic fillers here and during Diamond and Pearl are somehow different than formulaic fillers pre-Diamond and Pearl. If anything this season is nothing like DP, what with all the filler arcs. Plus, Ash's trip through the Decolora Islands is a little different than the standard fare, since he has no goal or rising challenge to look forward to, and it's just him trying to have as much fun and adventures as he can on his way home.

I missed the airing of the episode, but if nothing else, it's a treat for food-lovers.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom