• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Should Alakazam get Aura-Sphere?

Should Alakazam get Aura-Sphere?

• Yes

Votes: 19 59.4%
  • No

Votes: 13 40.6%

• Total voters
he'sbalencedotuby his crummy deenses Alakazam is best for takig otu thins fast not for the long fight... Besides I think AS should be more common whats the difference between AS and FB? FB is prettu muc a stronger AS...

Focus Blast has just 70% accuracy, which puts a lot of people off using it. Since Aura Sphere can't miss and 90 power is still high, it would get far more usage. Alakazam can also use Life Orb without any HP loss, which would give his AS almost the same power as a FB.

But, as I said, it's just a selfish preference of mine, because I've been caught off-guard by the random Focus Blast users in the Battle Subway far too often. I believe giving too much type coverage to a Pokemon can actually remove strategy, (I hate Hidden Power for that reason) and Aura Sphere would give Alakazam a much more reliable counter for Dark and Steel-types.

SO? Almost all Water types get Ice-Beam whic gives them a major counter against Grass I see no problem with this.. besides nothing is wrong with having great coverage... besides it wil still be walled by Blissey which can use Toxic and recover the damage off... so it won't be overpowered plus there are Pokemon faster (not many but some) who can kill him quickly

Alakazam has been shafted really hard since making crunch (a move a lot of pokemon can learn) physical and introducing sucker punch, and priority shadow sneak. It deserves a better coverage move then the unreliable focus blast. Aura sphere will be great, and its not like it will change things that much. Steel and dark types would have to be more careful but a sucker punch can practically KO an alakazam anyways.

he'sbalencedotuby his crummy deenses Alakazam is best for takig otu thins fast not for the long fight... Besides I think AS should be more common whats the difference between AS and FB? FB is prettu muc a stronger AS...

Focus Blast has just 70% accuracy, which puts a lot of people off using it. Since Aura Sphere can't miss and 90 power is still high, it would get far more usage. Alakazam can also use Life Orb without any HP loss, which would give his AS almost the same power as a FB.

But, as I said, it's just a selfish preference of mine, because I've been caught off-guard by the random Focus Blast users in the Battle Subway far too often. I believe giving too much type coverage to a Pokemon can actually remove strategy, (I hate Hidden Power for that reason) and Aura Sphere would give Alakazam a much more reliable counter for Dark and Steel-types.

SO? Almost all Water types get Ice-Beam whic gives them a major counter against Grass I see no problem with this.. besides nothing is wrong with having great coverage... besides it wil still be walled by Blissey which can use Toxic and recover the damage off... so it won't be overpowered plus there are Pokemon faster (not many but some) who can kill him quickly

lol, you realize that alakazam is immune to toxic damage?

lol, you realize that alakazam is immune to toxic damage?

Oh yeah -facepalm-I forgot about Magic Guard for a secodn XD

Yeah, why not?

But, then again, I like the distribution of Aura Sphere being limited somewhat heavily. It's a rather overpowered move honestly. I mean, base 90 power and no-miss? But in all reality, there is no reason to not give Alakazam level-up access to the move, just at a high level.

I wouldn't call it overpowered. That perfect accuracy doesn't matter much more than just 100% in most situations; after all, hardly anyone drops Accuracy or raises Evasion (especially not in competitive battling). And power-wise, it's slightly less "overpowered" than the common Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, or Surf. Like those moves, I'd just call it "reliable".

Actually, the in-battle accuracy stat doesn't matter.... it's one of the "never misses" moves. Unless they use Dig/Fly/Dive/etc.

What about Pokemon who only need coverage moves to deal with their common weaknesses? AS just doesn't cut it if it can't fully OHKO Scizor with some sort of fire move that isn't from Hidden Power.

What about Pokemon who only need coverage moves to deal with their common weaknesses? AS just doesn't cut it if it can't fully OHKO Scizor with some sort of fire move that isn't from Hidden Power.

That's when I'd switch Alakazam for something that works better against Scizor, or get a hit in before Alakazam goes down. Though Focus Blast might KO Scizor, it's a big risk to take, but Aura Sphere would definitely do some damage to wear Scizor down for the next Pokemon.

I suppose Alakazam would be far from unbeatable with AS, as it is very frail. But combined with Psyshock and Shadow Ball, few Pokemon would be able to avoid taking huge damage, especially since no possible type combination can resist all three moves. As much as I hate FB, at least it has a high chance of missing.

That's when I'd switch Alakazam for something that works better against Scizor, or get a hit in before Alakazam goes down. Though Focus Blast might KO Scizor, it's a big risk to take, but Aura Sphere would definitely do some damage to wear Scizor down for the next Pokemon.

But then your opponent will switch his/her Scizor for another Pokemon who has the advantage over the Pokemon you've switched over Alakazam, and it'll eventually go into an endless pokeswitch until one of you decides to attack regardless of it being SE or not (at least that's how I'm seeing in my mind, which hasn't fail me most of the time).

But then your opponent will switch his/her Scizor for another Pokemon who has the advantage over the Pokemon you've switched over Alakazam, and it'll eventually go into an endless pokeswitch until one of you decides to attack regardless of it being SE or not (at least that's how I'm seeing in my mind, which hasn't fail me most of the time).

lol no. scizor has pursuit and u-turn to prevent switches like that. And this is why most people use entry hazards:to limit the number of switches.

It's going to be unfair when he can already learn Focus Blast.

Nobody would Use Focus-Blast if it had Aura-Sphere... and it makes no sense that he doesn't... Focus-Blast is essentually a Stronger Aura-Sphere anyway... and he'd hardly be a Game-Breaker he'll still be walled by Blissey and Scizor is still his worst Nightmere..

I don't seem to ever recall Alakazam being able to use Aura or being a legendary or randomly being Togekiss xD

It's a very exclusive move and if you give it to Alakazam why not Gardevoir or the jelly thing whose name currently escapes me? Its distribution is low clearly by choice seeing as the majority of Fighting types don't get it (why would Alakazam get it before them?).

It has an option in Focus Blast anyway so I think favouritism is a playing a factor in the question here.

That would have made Alakazam great, although Focus Blast is more powerful and more threatening. I am not against it having that move, just to see how things will go for Alakazam.

That's it for now.

It's a very exclusive move and if you give it to Alakazam why not Gardevoir or the jelly thing whose name currently escapes me? Its distribution is low clearly by choice seeing as the majority of Fighting types don't get it (why would Alakazam get it before them?).

I think you're looking for Jellicent.

I think you're looking for Jellicent.

I think he meant Reuniclius.

Honestly... I think Aura Sphere should be more common anyway... Aura-Sphere is bassicly a weaker super-accurate Focus-Blast... I think all the Psychic who have FB should get it... It's far from broken honestly and Alakazam is super smart is it really hard to imagine he learned Aura himsef? I mean he does have an IQ of 10,000 right?

Aura Sphere will just break the guy even further. He shouldn't get it. What does he have to do with Aura, anyway?

Yeah Alakazam is very frail even with AS he still won't be broken and GF doesn't care about Broken Pokemon (Exadrill and Garachomp anybody?)

Please note: The thread is from 10 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom