• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions, Simple (Or Not) Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have a male pokemon that knows an Egg Move, and you breed it with a female of the same species or Ditto, will the baby also know the Egg Move?

I know, that makes me irritated as well, about the appeals.

Is there a purpose or point to the Croagunk statue in the Pastoria Pokemon Mart, or is it just there to look cool?

If you watch the anime you would know that Pastoria City is the City of Croagunk

I know nothing about EV training... well, next to nothing anyway.

I would like to raise the defense and possibly special defense stats of several of my pokemon. What is the quickest and easiest way to do this? My pokemon are just under level 60.

I know nothing about EV training... well, next to nothing anyway.

I would like to raise the defense and possibly special defense stats of several of my pokemon. What is the quickest and easiest way to do this? My pokemon are just under level 60.

Well, if you're planning on EV training them in Defense and Special Defense, then you have to battle against Pokemon that give out (Sp.) Def EVs. These include (but are not limited to:) Wormadam (sp. def,) Geodude line (def,) Onix line (def) and the Seel line (sp. def)

Usually, the more evolved the Pokemon, the more EV points it gives. Go to serebii.net to find out how many points each Pokemon gives. Every 4 EVs will turn into a +1 on the desired stat upon leveling up.

Using the Power items (which will add 4 extra points in a stat specific to each item) and the VS Seeker to challenge defensively oriented trainers (such as Hikers) will speed up the process.

Finally, if you've been training your Pokemon, they've been getting EVs like the plague. Since every pokemon caps their EVs at 510, chances are your Pokemon need the help of certain berries that take away EV ponts. This will allow you to start fresh and control what EV points go where in each pokemon.

Is it possible to get negative EVs with the Kelpsy and Qualot berries? Like, say, I only got 6 EV points in Attack but I fed a Kelpsy berry, will it reset to zero?

Your EVs will set to 0.
If your pokemon has maximum happiness and has no EVs in the stat the berry reduces, the berry will not have any effect on the pokemon, thus the berry will not be used.
Because of this, I recommend getting your pokemon to maximum happiness before using any EV berries on them. To check if a Pokemon has maximum happiness, go to Poketch application 6 and if the Pokemon has 2 big hearts, it has maximum happiness.

Also, if you use an EV reducing berry when EVs are 101-255, they will be reduced to 100, which means a maximum of 11 berries will get EVs down to 0.

Also, a question of my own.
On Bulbapedia and on numerous sites, it claims that if you get the BP events in the Battle Arcade, you move onto the next trainer without battling. However, I have gotten the BP event numerous times, and I have still had to battle the trainer I was about to go against.
Why is this?

Last edited:
Well, if you're planning on EV training them in Defense and Special Defense, then you have to battle against Pokemon that give out (Sp.) Def EVs. These include (but are not limited to:) Wormadam (sp. def,) Geodude line (def,) Onix line (def) and the Seel line (sp. def)

Usually, the more evolved the Pokemon, the more EV points it gives. Go to serebii.net to find out how many points each Pokemon gives. Every 4 EVs will turn into a +1 on the desired stat upon leveling up.

Using the Power items (which will add 4 extra points in a stat specific to each item) and the VS Seeker to challenge defensively oriented trainers (such as Hikers) will speed up the process.

Finally, if you've been training your Pokemon, they've been getting EVs like the plague. Since every pokemon caps their EVs at 510, chances are your Pokemon need the help of certain berries that take away EV ponts. This will allow you to start fresh and control what EV points go where in each pokemon.

That was helpful, thank you. So do you then suggest that the pokemon eat as many of those berries that lower defense as possible, and then battling pokemon with defense EVs(while wearing the power belt). Or do you suggest forgoing the powerbelt and using the macho brace instead? I think using the macho brace should be more effective...

You know how you can upload PC boxen to the Global Terminal in Platinum? Is it possible for people to view the summaries of the Pokemon in aforementioned boxen over Wi-Fi?

No, it's not possible for people to view the summaries of pokemon on wi-fi box data.

@ Person who is asking about EVs

The power items are more effective if you think about it. Here's why:

With Macho Brace:
1 + 1 = 2
2 + 2 = 4
3 + 3 = 6

With power items:

1 + 4 = 5
2 + 4 = 6
3 + 4 = 7

Last edited:

With Macho Brace:
1 + 1 = 2
2 + 2 = 4
3 + 3 = 6

With power items:

1 + 4 = 5
2 + 4 = 6
3 + 4 = 7

Question: does the pokerus stack with the power items like it does with macho brace? Eg:

With macho brace and pokerus:
1 x 2 x 2 = 4
2 x 2 x 2 = 8
3 x 2 x 2 = 12

With power item not stacking:
(1 x 2) + 4 = 6
(2 x 2) + 4 = 8
(3 x 2) + 4 = 10

With power item stacking:
(1 + 4) x 2 = 8
(2 + 4) x 2 = 12
(3 + 4) x 2 = 14

So technically if it does stack, i could reduce my training time by 1/3 using a power item

Pokerus does stack with the Macho Brace and Power Items. To find out how much EVs you'd get, multiply the end result by 2.

No, it's not possible for people to view the summaries of pokemon on wi-fi box data.

With Macho Brace:
1 + 1 = 2
2 + 2 = 4
3 + 3 = 6

With power items:

1 + 4 = 5
2 + 4 = 6
3 + 4 = 7

I don't understand... it says that the power belt gives 4 evs each level regardless of which pokemon you're fighting.... how would that be better than double evs?

I don't understand... it says that the power belt gives 4 evs each level regardless of which pokemon you're fighting.... how would that be better than double evs?

because the most ev's a wild pokemon will give you is 3. so a macho brace gives x2 so 3x2=6 but with a power item you get +4 so 3+4=7 . 7 is more than 6 so in a best case scenario you will always get more with the power item.

if you could find a pokemon to fight that gave 5 ev's (there arn't any) you would get more, but because you cant the power item is always better.

always make sure you infect the trainee with pokerus, as it doubles ev's without a hold item, so 7x2 = 14 ev's from a single fight.

anyone else noticed you need 5 PHD's in maths just to understand the underpinnings of pokemon?

@ Zaichikarky

Even though you get 4 EVs in a certain stat no matter what other Pokemon you fight with a power item, you still gain the standard EVs from the Pokemon.

So if you beat a Starly with the Power Item that gives 4 Def EVs per KO, you would get the 4 Def EVs and 1 speed EV (because a Starly gives 1 speed EV per KO).

Diryn said:
On Bulbapedia and on numerous sites, it claims that if you get the BP events in the Battle Arcade, you move onto the next trainer without battling. However, I have gotten the BP event numerous times, and I have still had to battle the trainer I was about to go against.
Why is this?

I'm just quoting my question from earlier.

I actually figured the thing out just by reading the article "Effort Values" on Bulbapedia. You should try going there if you haven't already.

I actually figured the thing out just by reading the article "Effort Values" on Bulbapedia. You should try going there if you haven't already.

I did read that. I misunderstood. I thought that the pokemon gets 4 evs per level... not per pokemon(yes, I know I don't understand the ev thing very well >_>;). It makes more sense to me now.

Also, I don't have pokerus and I don't really have anyone to give it to me, so I can't do that venue. What I'll just do is feed my pokemon a bunch of the defense-reducing berries and use that power belt on a bunch of geodudes and hope that will work out for me.

Thank you :ksmile:

Following on from that EV stuff. I have seen a lot of EV spreads as 252/252/4 which is 508 EV points used. Why would you do this, when according to other bits I have read here you have 510 EV points to play with and each stat area can hold 255. Why do you not just half the 510 and max out two stat areas?

Also how long does the Pokerus last, and is there a way to keep it longer on a single pokemon?

Thanks

Following on from that EV stuff. I have seen a lot of EV spreads as 252/252/4 which is 508 EV points used. Why would you do this, when according to other bits I have read here you have 510 EV points to play with and each stat area can hold 255. Why do you not just half the 510 and max out two stat areas?

Because for every 4 EVs in one stat, it will gain one stat point more than it would've had without the EVs at Lv. 100. 252 is the highest available still divisible by 4.

If the infected Pokémon is in your party for 24 hours, it will no longer be contagious and spread to the rest of your Pokémon. You can use one Pokémon to infect the others and then put it in the PC so it can still spead Pokérus.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom