• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Starter Discussion

Which Kalos starter did you choose?

• Total voters
Re: Starter Discussion and Speculation

I'd like to receive the starter by another heroic gesture, like Hoenn, but a little more heroic than defeating a Poochyena. I'm not sure how likely this scenario would turn out, however, it would be cool if three villain team grunts force their way into the professor's house and threaten the Professor into giving them an item he is currently in Possession of. The player hears the commotion and enters the Professor's house, and both the Professor and the grunts see him enter. The Professor quickly tells the player to leave right away and he runs out of the house as one of the grunts chases after him, afraid that the player will call for help. The player quickly runs into the Professor's laboratory before the grunt sees where he runs off to, and goes back in the house. In the laboratory, the player tells an assistant what has happened, and the assistant "If only we had someone to take down those grunts." There are three Pokeballs on a table next to them, each containing the starter Pokemon. The players goes to them and clicks on one of them, and the professor says "You aren't thinking of taking one of these Pokemon to battle the grunts are you?" Which then you can reply 'yes' or 'no'. You say yes, and then choose the starter Pokemon you want, and leave the laboratory. As you leave, you see the three grunt members leave the house, followed by the Professor begging not to take the item. You go up to one of them and challenge them to a battle. You defeat one, and as another is about to challenge you, they get called by their boss to come back to the base quickly. The grunts quickly leave and the Professor thanks you for helping out, and offers to let you keep that Pokemon.

I'm not sure if Gamefreak would do this though, as how likely is it that a person who just received their very first Pokemon is able to defeat a villain grunt on his/her very first battle?? Still, it could be an interesting idea.

I like the idea. I've always liked Gen III and DP's receiving of a starter Pokemon and then having to use it in battle against a wild Pokemon right away. I think the scenario could be believable since Grunts are known for having generic weak Pokemon. The grunt you battle could have an easy-to-defeat Pokemon because he is new to the evil team, as some grunts have said in previous games.

I'd like to receive the starter by another heroic gesture, like Hoenn, but a little more heroic than defeating a Poochyena. I'm not sure how likely this scenario would turn out, however, it would be cool if three villain team grunts force their way into the professor's house and threaten the Professor into giving them an item he is currently in Possession of. The player hears the commotion and enters the Professor's house, and both the Professor and the grunts see him enter. The Professor quickly tells the player to leave right away and he runs out of the house as one of the grunts chases after him, afraid that the player will call for help. The player quickly runs into the Professor's laboratory before the grunt sees where he runs off to, and goes back in the house. In the laboratory, the player tells an assistant what has happened, and the assistant "If only we had someone to take down those grunts." There are three Pokeballs on a table next to them, each containing the starter Pokemon. The players goes to them and clicks on one of them, and the professor says "You aren't thinking of taking one of these Pokemon to battle the grunts are you?" Which then you can reply 'yes' or 'no'. You say yes, and then choose the starter Pokemon you want, and leave the laboratory. As you leave, you see the three grunt members leave the house, followed by the Professor begging not to take the item. You go up to one of them and challenge them to a battle. You defeat one, and as another is about to challenge you, they get called by their boss to come back to the base quickly. The grunts quickly leave and the Professor thanks you for helping out, and offers to let you keep that Pokemon.

I'm not sure if Gamefreak would do this though, as how likely is it that a person who just received their very first Pokemon is able to defeat a villain grunt on his/her very first battle?? Still, it could be an interesting idea.

I like the idea. I've always liked Gen III and DP's receiving of a starter Pokemon and then having to use it in battle against a wild Pokemon right away. I think the scenario could be believable since Grunts are known for having generic weak Pokemon. The grunt you battle could have an easy-to-defeat Pokemon because he is new to the evil team, as some grunts have said in previous games.

That's true, not to mention battling someone right away is a helpful way to teach new players how to battle. I always liked how during Red and Blue, you battled your rival right away.

Some interesting ideas there, Akira Bond.

I'd like for the Yellow mechanic of how good you are in battle against your rival determining which Pokemon he/she has later in the game to be re-implemented.

It's a fun way to brag to your friends, if nothing else: 'I beat my rival every time and look, I can prove it!'

I didn't like how in BW/BW2 your rival's elemental monkey choice balanced out their starter choice, essentially giving you an opening against their team. It felt a little too hand-holdey for my liking. He's my rival, GF, please make him difficult to beat..

I didn't like how in BW/BW2 your rival's elemental monkey choice balanced out their starter choice, essentially giving you an opening against their team. It felt a little too hand-holdey for my liking. He's my rival, GF, please make him difficult to beat..

I agree with this. It always felt so extremely pathetic when you could easily just one-hit kill them with your starter's super-effective STAB move. If I choose Oshawott as my starter, then why in the world would you choose to evolve a Pansear? Not everyone keeps their starters throughout their journey, but it's about thinking ahead and those getting a Pansear when they know their opponent has an Oshawott isn't really thinking "worst-case scenarios" imo. "I'll catch a Pansear because they'll probably deposit their Oshawott"? At third battle: "Oh crap, they didn't".

At least Cheren didn't go the "Pansear against Oshawott" route, he got a Panpour instead - maybe to counter the player's possible Fire-type that would counter his Snivy? Now that is how you think "worst-case scenarios". I know Hugh got an Elektross in the later battles, and while it got Electric for Samurott, he have it regardless on what starter you choose, so it doesn't really count.

Awww, cute fire fennec fox!! Aaaalmost as good as eevee. But still, I see eevee and vulpix squished together... Nevertheless, Fennekin is still my fav.

That's true, not to mention battling someone right away is a helpful way to teach new players how to battle. I always liked how during Red and Blue, you battled your rival right away.

Me like. I've had that idea for quite a while, and I don't wanna battle my stupid rival first...

idk if these things have been brought up already buttt i dont have time for 50 pages of posts so...
ive noticed that there's been at least one "chubby" starter final evo and two more average sized with one being leaner and the other being more rugged in every generation except the first. with this in mind i can't imagine froakie being chubby and not being seismitoad and i pray to arceus that a pokemon as slick looking as fennekin isnt going to end up as some hefty fox. So this means that chespin will probs be bulky. and if we consider that we're gonna have the psychic/dark/fighting triangle i doubt that we will have ANOTHER water fighting type based on a frog so hopefully froakie ends up water/dark and chespin is the grass/fighting... although i wouldnt be surprised if theyre both monotypes. i will not discuss fennekin because knowing me ill jinx it and she'll end up a fighting type.

btw anyone else annoyed that froakie was never a tadpole o_O

if u made it through that schpeel please comment on ur opinion of what i said. :)

idk if these things have been brought up already buttt i dont have time for 50 pages of posts so...
ive noticed that there's been at least one "chubby" starter final evo and two more average sized with one being leaner and the other being more rugged in every generation except the first. with this in mind i can't imagine froakie being chubby and not being seismitoad and i pray to arceus that a pokemon as slick looking as fennekin isnt going to end up as some hefty fox. So this means that chespin will probs be bulky. and if we consider that we're gonna have the psychic/dark/fighting triangle i doubt that we will have ANOTHER water fighting type based on a frog so hopefully froakie ends up water/dark and chespin is the grass/fighting... although i wouldnt be surprised if theyre both monotypes. i will not discuss fennekin because knowing me ill jinx it and she'll end up a fighting type.

btw anyone else annoyed that froakie was never a tadpole o_O

if u made it through that schpeel please comment on ur opinion of what i said. :)

I am SOOOO annoyed Froakie isn't starting as a tadpole, so I'm secretly hoping it sort of "Reverse Evolves" and It's Final Stage is an Epic Monstrous Cloud-Foam Tadpole.

Fennekin is sooooo cuuute....Its sooo adorable.....But I don't want ANOTHER fire fighting...Yeah blaziken was cool, Infernape rocked, Emboar was pushing it...I'm a fire type fan and usually go for them.....don't be a fire fighting type, fennekin, I beg of you!!!

Fennekin is sooooo cuuute....Its sooo adorable.....But I don't want ANOTHER fire fighting...Yeah blaziken was cool, Infernape rocked, Emboar was pushing it...I'm a fire type fan and usually go for them.....don't be a fire fighting type, fennekin, I beg of you!!!

My thoughts are the same as yours. I love Fire Type Pokemon and usually go with the Fire Type starter Pokemon. I am glad of the way Fennekin turned out, it definitely looks the best, and I'm one who likes their Pokemon to look good.

I hope Fennekin doesn't become Fire/Fighting either. I have a good feeling that Fennekin will not have this type combination, and we can only wait and see if my assumptions are correct.

I hope fennekin's evolutions look awesome....I never liked the tepig line's design(no offense)
I also choose the starter based on their looks.!!!!!

I do too, unfortunately.

It took me a while to get used to Chimchar and Tepig and their respective evolutions, so I went with the grass type for those two generations. Although now I'm used to their designs, I actually don't mind them, and if I were to play a generation IV or V game again, I'm certain I'd start with Chimchar and Tepig this time. Luckily I found Fennekin to look great the very second I laid eyes on it, so I am very happy, and let's hope Fennekin's evolution is just as cool, as I'm sure they will be.

I choose based on looks as well and that is why I chose Tepig in my second playthrough, Emboar looks awesome, easily the Fire/Fighting I liked the most. Although, as far as Generation V starters go, it doesn't look as good as Serperior. This time I am liking the Fire-type starter the most, the only time this happened before was in Generation II with Cyndaquil. I am hoping for a beautiful evolution for Fennekin, hopefully NOT a Fire/Psychic Pokémon, we already have two 'mystic' foxes, we don't need another.

I choose based on looks as well and that is why I chose Tepig in my second playthrough, Emboar looks awesome, easily the Fire/Fighting I liked the most. Although, as far as Generation V starters go, it doesn't look as good as Serperior. This time I am liking the Fire-type starter the most, the only time this happened before was in Generation II with Cyndaquil. I am hoping for a beautiful evolution for Fennekin, hopefully NOT a Fire/Psychic Pokémon, we already have two 'mystic' foxes, we don't need another.

I'm just hoping it stays on 4 legs!

Water,dude,The most balenced type. Not some fennekin or something,Besides FROAKIE LOOKS CUTE 145px-Froakie.png

Chespin is unique. We've had frogs and foxes already.

welll kinda. sandshrew and sandslash and shaymin are kind of hedgehog ish. you can shout all you want that they are based off shrews and pangolins, but it's a fact lots of pokemon dont exactly mirror a single real animal and are alamgams of several. them and oshawott can be considered as different from chespin [with as little info that's currently known about chespin] as froakie is from the other frog pokemon. 'frog' is a very large group of amphibians just as canines also have a pretty large and varied group.

not to mention the other rodent, weasel, vermin pokemon out there too. :D i've actually planned out vermin, canine, and ampibian themed teams for each starter already and i'm just waiting for final evos before i actually pick a starter and team.

:shrug: we'll have to wait and see!

I try not to pick starters by looks but end up doing so anyways.

I chose Snivy in White and ended up regretting it.

As of now I'm in the Fennekin camp but we'll see for sure once it comes out. I usually pick the Fire starter anyway so it'll fit with my trend.

I always end up choosing Water starters 'cause they tend to be the most reliable, if not the best starter of that Gen. The only place I make some slight deviation is Gen II with Cyndaquil since it is arguably better than Totodile and there are other good Water types around.

So it'll almost certainly be Froakie this Gen. Good thing too, since I really don't like the look of Fennekin and Chespin seems like a Grass-typed Slowking. XP

If Froakie ends up dual-typed on evos, I'd be hoping for something like Lotad: Water/Grass typing. Maybe a frog with a giant lily-pad on its head that is thrown like a discus?

I will probably choose Chespin, not only because he looks the coolest out of the three, but because his design is alot more creative than a fox or a frog which we've seen quite alot of in Pokemon. There have also been some rumors about him evolving into a Grass/Dark type, and that would be awesome because I love Dark types!

Back
Top Bottom