• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Story Length: The balance between "too short" and "tl;dr"

Shinneth

Gonna be a tl;dr Master!
Reaction score
Just to forewarn you: This opening post is tl;dr-iffic. Does that surprise any of you?

Some months ago it was suggested that I make a topic that focuses solely on the matter of a fanfic's length. In true belated Shin fashion, I finally bring this to light like three months after said suggestion. I must be getting too bored.

Anyway, our topic here: story length - how important is it? How will it make or break your fic? Is it just a matter of people being too picky where they're insatiable and want more-more-more after a short chapter, or are they so ADD that seeing anything longer than five pages makes them consider your story waaaaaaaay too long to bother with regardless of the quality of the content?

I think we can all agree in almost any case it's better for a fanfic (be it a one-shot or single chapter) to be "too long" than "too short". The vast majority of badfics barely go beyond a few paragraphs, and that's in addition to the poor formatting, misspelling, improper grammar, crap characters, and unoriginal story. If a chapter's not long enough to fill at least one computer screen without scrolling down and it's not a drabble/sentence meme, chances are it's a piece of crap and needs to be rectified. Just like how Rome wasn't built in a day, no one can make a respectable, full-fledged story in less than a minute.

Feel free to share your views on the matter here, because I can really only offer my views from one POV: the field of "too long". Anyone who's taken a gander at Travels of the Trifecta! or most of my other stories knows that I sort of have a problem with keeping things succinct. Even when I merely post replies in forums here. For some reason I attack with walls of text more often than not, usually without meaning to.

Thing is, I actually get a bit miffed when I see perfectly fine stories get very little critique, and the critique is really nothing more than "this chapter is soooooo long" when said chapters aren't even a tenth the size of most of mine. Not only is the critique very hollow, but it just isn't true most of the time.

There are only two ways I believe a story can be considered "too long":

A) Too much flowery description on unimportant details. Honestly, unless it's a plot point/relevant to the current subject matter, I almost never see the point in going on any longer than two brief sentences about what a character is wearing. Some goes with background details - again - unless there's a plot point, present or future, to be had in taking the time to talk about it in narrative. In the eighth chapter of Trifecta, a lot of people thought I had quite a bit of "meaningless" details talked about thoroughly, but within a couple of chapters all of those details became highly relevant and important, and my readers recognized that. So flowery description isn't always a bad thing, but more often than not I see it being abused with no payoff to be had. And those adjectives can really start adding up on your word count. If the details are that important to you, I'd suggest drawing it out, throwing it on an image account somewhere and directing your readers thataways. Granted, that's assuming you've got the skills and the ability to scan. If not and you can't beg someone to do it for you, looking for reference images resembling the closest thing you're thinking about may be an alternative.

But in those situations, keep that stuff in the author's notes where they belong. And for the record, ALWAYS keep your author's notes (provided you have any you want to share) either right before the story or right after it. Any author worth their salt knows that adding author notes during the story is a major no-no. Your fanfic is not MST3K and never will be; attempting to make it so is equivalent to admitting that you, the author, are a hopeless poser. But again - author notes in concept are perfectly fine and I recommend it if your story is going to contain stuff that may leave your reader with questions you don't feel like answering over and over. I always keep mine right before the fic. Mind you, though, author notes will inadvertently add on to a story's length, which is probably another reason why it's best to keep them all in one place. Sifting through fourth-wall breaking one-liners make badfics feel even longer.

B) If a chapter is long and yet nothing really happens by the end that progresses the story or characters in any way, shape or form. This would be the fanfic equivalent of a "filler episode" - and honestly I haven't seen too many examples of these, but they do exist. Still, that's the only other way where I see complaining about something being "too long" would be legitimate.

I understand that readers have varying tastes and some might prefer shorter stories, but that's no excuse to accuse any author for having their story being "too long" if the story is not guilty of either of the above points. I like to think people who abhor longer stories just don't bother to read them. But most of all, if you like the story and the only "flaw" you can find about it is that's it's "too long" - then I don't quite understand that. If you're enjoying the fic, why would you want to be over and done with it so quickly? Usually when I enjoy anything, I'd like the ride to last as long as possible without it getting stale. Unless the story has the genuine two aforementioned flaws, why does it matter how long it is at all?

There are plenty of people out there who won't even give lengthy fics a chance solely due to that reason. What do you think about that kind of discrimination? Mind you, I've never actually gotten any real complaints from reviewers about my chapter lengths (many people make note of how long they are, but in a positive way), but I've seen many people who do, and wrongfully so.

If people were willing to have more patience to sit through lengthier stories, I believe more fics (and by extension, more authors) would get more recognition; both here and elsewhere across the 'net. It seems pretty obvious to me that the majority of readers prefer to have short chapters with frequent updating. I've always been the other way around - long chapters with roughly 2 months per update. It actually doesn't take me that long to write out a chapter - 90% of the gap is just me chillaxing before getting back to work. This is actually way better than how frequently I used to update (my most frequent updates used to be in the ballpark of every 6 months), but overall the thing I keep in mind is that the saying "quality over quantity" works both ways.

You don't need long chapters to make a good story, obviously. But having 100+ chapters simply because it's an easier task to write brief chapters over shorter periods of time between updates and the easiest way to maintain a strong readership doesn't mean that it's a superior method of writing, either.

Lastly, I really don't believe in blanket statements like "a chapter/one-shot needs to be <insert number here> words in order to be not too short and not too long". The extremes of wordiness do exist on each end of the spectrum, but you'd have to be outrageously bad to hit either one at any time.

What say you all on this matter? Think my views are a load of bullcock? Dare you agree? Have anything you like to add on the subject? Advice? Whatev?

Speaking about author's notes, it's a sign of weakness in storytelling when you have too many of them at the end that contain anything more than cursory side-info.

Also, on the topic of chaptered fics, I'm guessing that it's not exactly a good thing that my fic has the third highest chapter count out of all fics that are still active (30 compared to Field Research's 38 and Rival's Story's 98.)

Nor does it help that my chapters are always more than 2,000 words long, and sometimes break 4,000 >_>

I read your post, Shinneth :) (I had been waiting, too :XD2:)

And, gosh, aren't you right? I totally hope I don't have either point in Garnets and Cherries (a parody of purple prose in the first chapter gave it its name, however :XD2:), but then don't we all hope the same for our fics?

This might be related too: I'm a very lazy reader myself. I also have trouble concentrating (no ADD or ADHD or whatever you call it nowadays). And...

...eh, I lost my train of thought :blush: But it had something to do with stories being interesting; I can forgive a too-long fic if it's interesting.

Speaking about author's notes, it's a sign of weakness in storytelling when you have too many of them at the end that contain anything more than cursory side-info.
Is it? I have like three sections for each chapter of Garnets and Cherries at FF.net :dead: (they're not more than a paragraph long, though)

Nor does it help that my chapters are always more than 2,000 words long, and sometimes break 4,000 >_>
More than 4800 words per chapter here (special metric set by the first chapter, which got rushed to finish before hitting 5000), but they won't be more than 11 anyways :XD2:

keep that stuff in the author's notes where they belong. And for the record, ALWAYS keep your author's notes (provided you have any you want to share) either right before the story or right after it. Any author worth their salt knows that adding author notes during the story is a major no-no.

I agree with everything but that part. In some fics(like mine) Author notes are part of the story. I mean, in a couple fics ive seen, theyve put author notes, because one or more of their characters is/are the author/s.

Other than said above. This does help alot. and on fic length, right now i have 4 pages to a chap.

When I write something, I cut it by 10%. So, if you write 1000 words, cut 100 words.

That way, I eliminate all the useless words. Just a small tip

Brevity is the soul of awesome, so I agree.

Agree with... what, then? Because it almost sounds like you're implying that anything lengthy is... well, not awesome, ahaha.

Zekurom said:

Not necessarily. Author's notes are a good way to keep readers up to speed on why chapters may be taking longer than they should to complete. It's really more handy in places like Fanfiction.net (my author notes there are much longer than they are here, simply because it's easier to reply to reviewers here in forums). But this year especially, I've had a lot of real-life events occur that have delayed my chapters' completion - cat dying, getting a full-time job, getting sick, getting a new cat - I don't want to say author's notes should be a makeshift blog entry or anything, but letting your readers know of major events going on in your life would (I would like to think, anyway) let them better understand your circumstances and that may cut down a bit on the "when's the next chapter gonna be out?" stuff that many authors get bogged down with.

My story is a bit of a special case since it's very anime-faithful and reliant on how Diamond & Pearl would resolve things, so I'd often make some comments on recent happenings in the anime within the author's notes in reference to how that may or may not affect the fic. Usually I do this to assure the readers that I have been keeping up with the anime and I am actively coming up with ways to keep the story relatively faithful to it. I've got at least one reviewer who constantly asks how I plan to handle potential canon plotholes, so whenever I saw one of my fic's main characters be in possession of a new Pokemon, I made sure to tell the readers that when the time comes, I'll have devised a plan to implement it into the story. I feel it's important to get that out of the way ASAP... that way I won't get bogged down with simple-to-answer questions and actually get a review.

Also, on the topic of chaptered fics, I'm guessing that it's not exactly a good thing that my fic has the third highest chapter count out of all fics that are still active (30 compared to Field Research's 38 and Rival's Story's 98.)

It's not a good or bad thing. Your story shouldn't be judged simply based on how many chapters you have. The only thing your story needs to be judged on is the quality of its content - not how long/short it is or how much there is of it to read.

LightningTopaz said:
I try to keep a balance between too short and too long, but when I see that I have two completely different stories developing in what was supposed to be one, I split the fic accordingly

I'm going through a similar ordeal, actually. I originally planned on implementing a series of flashbacks to properly develop certain characters in my fic, but now that I've planned the story all the way up to chapter 32 in the midst of the Sinnoh League with several things happening beforehand, I realized it's not going to be feasible to squish it in there and the only way to resolve the matter is to collectively chronicle the flashbacks into a smaller "sister-fic" to the story. I'm still not sure how I'm going to juggle two fics directly related to each other at once, but that's a good way to go about it. It's probably a bit of a pain to tell everyone that the new fic may require reading a bit of the first one in order to be fully understood, but it's worth the hassle, I'm sure.

Kayi Rowling said:
This might be related too: I'm a very lazy reader myself. I also have trouble concentrating (no ADD or ADHD or whatever you call it nowadays). And...

...eh, I lost my train of thought But it had something to do with stories being interesting; I can forgive a too-long fic if it's interesting.

Admittedly, I'm the same way. And I am riddled with ADD/ADHD. I used to be huge on reading books as a kid, but once I hit my teens, I couldn't focus on reading anything other than comic books anymore. I'd space out and read the same sentence over and over... it was pretty tragic. I don't have much of a problem with that when it comes to writing fanfics unless I'm not totally absorbed into it. Then my mind might skip over some stuff...

But I do understand what you're getting at; several of my readers have told me that my fic is very absorbing, hence why they don't mind the lengthiness. They'll say it's easy to forget what they're reading is just fanon and that they can perfectly picture what they're reading in their head. That's not gloating, I swear; that's precisely what several people have told me. That's a sign of how talented you are as a writer, I believe. Especially since I get virtually no direct complaints about my story's length even though my chapters these days range anywhere from ~15k to 30k words. In 15 chapters I've accumulated 288k words already, so that's why I want to stress that people put way too much importance on the matter of story length.

And that's why I can't help but be annoyed when readers won't give deserving fics a chance because they think length is so important and analogous to quality itself. That's why I'd like for people to fret less about that kind of thing unless they're guilty of the two points I listed.

Really, even if some of you are guilty of the first point, that's not necessarily something to be ashamed of. Fics with too little description are very barren and often come off as dry and lifeless. I'd rather have an overly-descriptive story than one that doesn't do it enough, but if length has any bearing over a story's quality, this is where it would be.

KantoMasta said:
I agree with everything but that part. In some fics(like mine) Author notes are part of the story. I mean, in a couple fics ive seen, theyve put author notes, because one or more of their characters is/are the author/s.

I think you're confusing author notes for narrative. In any case, there's no reason why you can't say before or after the entire story/chapter that <insert character's name(s) here> is an OC who will be part of the story for whatever reason. There's absolutely no reason to say, within the story's narrative, that "btw this character's mine" because you're breaking the fourth wall right there and disrupting the flow of the story. What's important is establishing the OC him/her/itself for who they are in the perspective of the story itself, be it third-person, first-person, or whatever. You can leave the details best explained OOCly at the beginning or end in your author's notes.

There's absolutely no reason to sprinkle author's notes intermittently throughout the chapter. Like I said, it completely screws up the flow of the story, make it a pain in the ass for readers, and on the whole it's totally unnecessary.

DarkDreams said:
When I write something, I cut it by 10%. So, if you write 1000 words, cut 100 words.

That way, I eliminate all the useless words. Just a small tip

That seems a little unnecessary. Eliminating one tenth of the story just seems pointless. If you're seeing useless things in your story, why did you write them out to begin with? Do you ask yourself that? Again, there's too much emphasis on length and not enough on the content itself and why it's there to begin with.

I really don't think this is a practice that should apply for every story. It's definitely something I'd never do; feels like I'd be neutering my story for no reason or something.

Not necessarily. Author's notes are a good way to keep readers up to speed on why chapters may be taking longer than they should to complete. It's really more handy in places like Fanfiction.net (my author notes there are much longer than they are here, simply because it's easier to reply to reviewers here in forums). But this year especially, I've had a lot of real-life events occur that have delayed my chapters' completion - cat dying, getting a full-time job, getting sick, getting a new cat - I don't want to say author's notes should be a makeshift blog entry or anything, but letting your readers know of major events going on in your life would (I would like to think, anyway) let them better understand your circumstances and that may cut down a bit on the "when's the next chapter gonna be out?" stuff that many authors get bogged down with.

Well, I meant author's notes on the story itself. Circumstantial notes like that wouldn't really fall into what I meant.

I have but one question:

What does tl;dr mean? (and, also, what category would you say half my fics fall under?)

I have but one question:

What does tl;dr mean? (and, also, what category would you say half my fics fall under?)

too long; didn't read

(I was answering his question. Don't take this as a spam post.)

I have but one question:

Too long; didn't read.

And teal deer.
teal_deer.jpg

Last edited:
My thought is this. I don't care about the overall length of a fic, but the length of the chapter. I honestly find a moderate length (5 or 6 ages, like mine) to be most tolerable.

That seems a little unnecessary. Eliminating one tenth of the story just seems pointless. If you're seeing useless things in your story, why did you write them out to begin with? Do you ask yourself that? Again, there's too much emphasis on length and not enough on the content itself and why it's there to begin with.

I really don't think this is a practice that should apply for every story. It's definitely something I'd never do; feels like I'd be neutering my story for no reason or something.

It's called editing. And I meant chapter, not story.

You look over your work, and see if a big, useless phrase can be substituted by one word. "He was hungry because he he didn't eat anything for ages" -> "He was starving".

I mean I can write a whole paragraph about how useless this block of text is and still replace with another word or with a shorter phrase or a single word, still I'm not doing that because it is way too long and I have lots of unneeded words here such as some words I should be putting here, as you can see this is a quite a useless paragraph. Tl;Dr, that was a useless chunk of text.

All the professional writers are cutting their story lengths; Stephen King actually does the 1/10th thing =\

It's called editing. And I meant chapter, not story.

<snip>

All the professional writers are cutting their story lengths; Stephen King actually does the 1/10th thing =\

Yes, I'm aware of what "editing" is. But are you implying that if you don't follow this practice for your stories that you're basically "doing it wrong"?

I can see where the technique is useful if you're looking over a story/chapter (proofreading, whatever) and happen to see something you can word differently in a succinct way and still get your message across. But I don't believe this kind of thing should be actively done just for the sake of trimming your own content. Maybe it's a must-do in the professional world of writing, but what we do here is hardly professional.

And... I don't really like the mentality of "all the professional writers do it, so we should do it too". I believe there needs to be a real purpose in trimming down your content beyond the "oh, I don't want it to be too long" phobia, which I still don't understand. Story/chapter length alone is not something one should be overtly concerned about. There are plenty of stories out there that aren't infested with so-called useless chunks of text and end up being very lengthy regardless. Said stories tend to be just as good as any story written by a professional writer.

Can anyone offer an answer as to why you go out of your way to avoid lengthy stories/chapters (or avoid making your own that way), even if the long stories/chapters are actually very good and well worth the time to spend reading?

Yes, I'm aware of what "editing" is. But are you implying that if you don't follow this practice for your stories that you're basically "doing it wrong"?

I can see where the technique is useful if you're looking over a story/chapter (proofreading, whatever) and happen to see something you can word differently in a succinct way and still get your message across. But I don't believe this kind of thing should be actively done just for the sake of trimming your own content. Maybe it's a must-do in the professional world of writing, but what we do here is hardly professional.

And... I don't really like the mentality of "all the professional writers do it, so we should do it too". I believe there needs to be a real purpose in trimming down your content beyond the "oh, I don't want it to be too long" phobia, which I still don't understand. Story/chapter length alone is not something one should be overtly concerned about. There are plenty of stories out there that aren't infested with so-called useless chunks of text and end up being very lengthy regardless. Said stories tend to be just as good as any story written by a professional writer.

Can anyone offer an answer as to why you go out of your way to avoid lengthy stories/chapters (or avoid making your own that way), even if the long stories/chapters are actually very good and well worth the time to spend reading?

It's a stylistic choice, simple as that.

*facepalms*

There is no such thing as "doing it wrong" in writing. It's what I do to ~+Improve+~ a piece of writing.

You're not "trimming your own content". You're just rephrasing it. There's a difference.

And... I don't really like the mentality of "all the professional writers do it, so we should do it too". I believe there needs to be a real purpose in trimming down your content beyond the "oh, I don't want it to be too long" phobia, which I still don't understand. Story/chapter length alone is not something one should be overtly concerned about.

Look, professional writers do all kind of crazy things. I pick out their useful techniques and incorporate them into my own writing.

And I don't have a "'oh, I don't want it to be too long' phobia", rather, I have a "I don't want my readers to be bored reading this" phobia. My half finished prologue is at around 7 pages on Microsoft word, sized nine Verdana. And that will be among my shortest chapters in the fic i'm writing.

There are plenty of stories out there that aren't infested with so-called useless chunks of text and end up being very lengthy regardless. Said stories tend to be just as good as any story written by a professional writer.

So you're saying that they just wrote that off the bat with no editing?

Oh my god. Did you honestly think I was saying that? I burst out laughing when I read that.

Okay, here's the deal:

I write myself a one-shot with some minor edits. Let's say it's 2000 words long. I re-read it, cancel out some 5 word sentences into 1 word, and rephrase. Continue. Oh! Brain wave! Add some more detail into it. Edit again. More inspiration! Edit again. Then, at the end, it would amount to around 200 useless words being edited out and replaced by something actually useful. At the end, there would still be around 2000 words in that oneshot.

*facepalms*

There is no such thing as "doing it wrong" in writing. It's what I do to ~+Improve+~ a piece of writing.

Ever heard of badfics? They're pretty easy to find and they're the very essence of "doing it wrong" in writing.

You're not "trimming your own content". You're just rephrasing it. There's a difference.

Your original statements were centered on cutting 10% out of a story. I've rephrased several sentences, and they often end up being just as long (or longer) than the original. Rephrasing your content =/= trimming it down. One can rephrase a statement and make it shorter, but they're not synonymous.

Look, professional writers do all kind of crazy things. I pick out their useful techniques and incorporate them into my own writing.

And I don't have a "'oh, I don't want it to be too long' phobia", rather, I have a "I don't want my readers to be bored reading this" phobia. My half finished prologue is at around 7 pages on Microsoft word, sized nine Verdana. And that will be among my shortest chapters in the fic i'm writing.

You don't say.

It feels like the general attitude in this thread is "long = bad", which is not what I was wanting to go for here. A long story doesn't necessarily mean your readers will be bored with it. The quality of your writing is what matters. The latest chapter of my story ended up being 54 pages long; that never deterred any of my readers and I've never once had anyone tell me that they refuse to read my outrageously-long story because of the length, nor has anyone told me that they've been bored because of the amount of reading one has to do to get through a chapter. I'm not saying this to gloat; I'm saying this to show that story length is not that big a deal if your content makes it worthwhile.

So you're saying that they just wrote that off the bat with no editing?

Uh, no? I never said anything about editing. "Editing" is a broad term, though. A story can be edited without a chunk of text being cut out in the process (if anything, a chunk of text could be added in in the editing process).

Oh my god. Did you honestly think I was saying that? I burst out laughing when I read that.

Thanks for sharing that. Really.

I write myself a one-shot with some minor edits. Let's say it's 2000 words long. I re-read it, cancel out some 5 word sentences into 1 word, and rephrase. Continue. Oh! Brain wave! Add some more detail into it. Edit again. More inspiration! Edit again. Then, at the end, it would amount to around 200 useless words being edited out and replaced by something actually useful. At the end, there would still be around 2000 words in that oneshot.

Maybe you should've said that the first time around rather than your incredibly narrow "if you write 1000 words, cut 100" protip.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom