• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Fairy Type and Alterations to Type Chart

Is the Fairy-type OP?

• Total voters
All of the fairy pokemon seen and likely to be retyped don't exactly have monster stats or anything of the sort, not like the dragons do, so anyone suggesting fairy is going to be over powered is completely mistaken.I think they will do their job well of curbing dragons, but all you have to do is switch into something with a strong poison or steel move and they will likely bite it pretty easily. There aren't a lot of pokemon in the Meta game equipped with moves like that, but something tells me they are about to get more popular...

Yeah, I don't think there's a lot to worry about a Wigglytuff, even with Fairy-type's changes.

Don't you think it's odd that now that they revealed the chart they didn't also introduce some Fairy-type retcons? Or is that it? Or are the revealed retcons in the Kalos dex and the rest is for us to discover?

I think they want you to discover the rest for yourself. I would like to know the more obvious ones, though, particularly Clefairy and Togepi, as it would be an utter tragedy if neither of them became Fairy.

I don't think ice-types are quite as done as a lot of people are suggesting. Remember that a good number of prevalent dragons carry a double weakness to ice-moves and moves like Ice Beam have a very wide distribution. While, as a type, it didn't get any stronger, not gaining a resistance didn't exactly weaken it, either.

I would love it if mismagius became ghost/fairy. Neutral to dark attacks!

A pokemon with the Ghost/Fairy combination can also take neutral damage from Poison, a 0.25x resistance to Bug, and an immunity to Dragon at the cost of gaining a weakness to Steel. Essentially a Ghost/Fairy will have the same number of weaknesses as pure Ghost with an extra immunity.

It's Ice Pokemon themselves, not the type so much. There's no reason to use an Ice type when nearly every Water type can learn Ice Beam.

I really wish they'd either remove it as a TM, or severely limit the water Pokemon that can learn it.

With the nerf of the Dragon type and removal of Steel's resistances, Ghost is now the premier neutral coverage type in the game. Which should help keep the Dark type's stock high, despite gaining a new counter.

It's Ice Pokemon themselves, not the type so much. There's no reason to use an Ice type when nearly every Water type can learn Ice Beam.

I really wish they'd either remove it as a TM, or severely limit the water Pokemon that can learn it.

I mega agree there. That's the main problem with Water vs. Ice. Water learns SO MANY Ice-type moves, it makes an Ice-type Pokemon worthless. Which is why I would like to see Water lose some (okay, lose A LOT) of access to Ice-type moves, gain a weakness to it, and/or Ice become resistant to it. Preferably all the above (yeah, like that'll happen, but a guy can dream, right?). Ice-types as a whole are getting brushed aside for Water-types.

At the same time, Ice-types are somewhat limited in their moves. Unless they have a secondary type, they generally don't have great access to other move types, with some exceptions like Glalie and Beartic, making Ice-type Pokemon redundant, even if they have great stats (Glaceon comes to mind, with both great Sp. Atk and Defense). While Ice-type MOVES are very powerful, the fact remains the actual type is borderline worthless thanks to Water-type's ability to easily replace them in battle. That's the problem. It doesn't matter about the moves themselves, it matters about who uses them. In short, Water becomes a (powerful) supplement by replacing the purpose of an Ice-type Pokemon for someone's team.

So it's not about the moves themselves, it's about who uses them. As far as I'm concerned, with Water being so dominate and able to learn many Ice-type moves, the Ice-type itself is no better off than it has been for years. This could've been a golden opportunity to help Ice by giving it either a new resistance or give it a new type to be super effective to. That's the problem in a nutshell.

Instead of removing Ice Beam from Ice Types, I'd prefer if tons of Ice Types started to learn water-type moves. Particularly a Water-type move that's the inverse of Scald like Icy Water.

You know with all the talk about ice types I have to wonder if Game Freak wants the game to be all that balanced. Maybe they want a few underdog types; maybe they consider that balanced.

I don't think ice-types are quite as done as a lot of people are suggesting. Remember that a good number of prevalent dragons carry a double weakness to ice-moves and moves like Ice Beam have a very wide distribution. While, as a type, it didn't get any stronger, not gaining a resistance didn't exactly weaken it, either.

True, but Ice's problem is its defense, not its offense. Ice types may be able to OHKO a Dragonite, but they won't be able to take a hit from it, you could still end up suffering a huge hit from Outrage or Draco Meteor. Whereas with Fairy, you don't have to worry about that because its immune. Ice doesn't resist anything except itself, so it can't switch into any other type safely, and with Fairy stealing its niche as a Dragon slayer, there's less reason to use it.

This could've been a golden opportunity to help Ice by giving it either a new resistance or give it a new type to be super effective to. That's the problem in a nutshell.

I don't think giving it another type advantage would've helped it much.

You know with all the talk about ice types I have to wonder if Game Freak wants the game to be all that balanced. Maybe they want a few underdog types; maybe they consider that balanced.

By that logic, they wouldn't have nerfed Dragon because that's the opposite of an underdog (I forget what you'd call this). I think they simply overlooked the defensive end of the type balance and/or considered its type advantages a fair trade off for its lack of resistances.

I'm extremely satisfied with the Dragons finally getting some extra weaknesses. (Take that!!)

A little disappointed with the Steel-type losing some of its resistance, but still durable as ever :D

Ice is falling into despair, though D:

Hope there's a non-Mega Steel/Fairy that is actually OU level.

Would get rid of both of Fairy's Weaknesses, One of Steel's, and still have STAB against 6 types.

Other then that-- I think my number one hope is a Normal/Psychic (Maybe Girafarig Evo) for killing Gengars.

I'm actually pretty happy with the new type chart. Fairy being effective against Fighting, Dark and Dragon types works and being immune to Dragon types works for me as well since it was suppose to balance out Dragon types. I'm not sure if Dark types needed another weakness, but it gives Pokemon with a Ghost/Dark combination a weakness. Resisting Fighting and Dark is fine, but I don't know why it resist Bug types. Poison and Steel types definitely needed something to be effective against, especially Poison types. Steel losing two of its resistances is a bit surprising, but it does allow for Ghost and Dark types to do more damage to Pokemon like Metagross. It would have been nice if Ice types had gotten something, but other than that, I'm pretty okay with the new type chart.

Copy pasted this from me:

"So if you compare all of Fairy relations with dark it when it comes to the categories Fairy is equal in possessed immunities, one worse when it comes to being resisted (unless you count dark being resistant to it self but) but better in EVERY single other way. And if you compare it to ice it also good against dragon (which was supposed to be ice's saving grace) and in exchange for having one less strength it gets THREE resistances TWO less weaknesses and ONE immunity.

TL:DR Fairy OP PLEASE NERF!"

So you downgrade my two favorite types and you think I need to calm down REALLY?

Dark is one of two types left to counter Ghost and the only hard counter. (With Normal being equally countered by Ghost.)

It's presence in competitive will stay up just because of that.

Honestly, I think both Dark and Ghost should've taken a hit from Fairy, with one being resisted by and one being weak to.

Ice just got shot, buried, and shot again.

Last edited:
I'm probably late to say this but was Ice confirmed to be weak against Fairy?

I second the ghost/fairy mismagius, she fits the bill as a pokemon that could gain this fairy typing, and her resist/stabs would be excellent. ive always liked her as a pokemon <3

ice does need help though, maybe a water resistance, but it seems thats too late :(

gardevoir will continue to be a mianstay in my heart... currently my favorite fairy type we have <3

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom