• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Fairy Type and Alterations to Type Chart

Is the Fairy-type OP?

• Total voters
rock/fairy could be a gnome or goblin (i know goblins are typically depicted as 'evil' (a la sableye) but they arent all evil in that sense, more like tricksters)

A Gardevoir & Gallade double battle would practically destroy everything lol

ralts master race.
gallade x gardevoir otp.... etc etc.

im glad they gave gardevoir something to truly differentiate her from the likes of alakazam and other mono-psychic hard-hitters.

I don't care if it's practical or not, either. Ice still performs a function, I don't care if anyone wants to ignore that over something else. My point still stands. They didn't factor stats in it at all. If you're going to call people idiots for using Ice pokemon, then that's your problem. No one should be criticized for their preferences. Or should I find a way to deconstruct EVERY pokemon type? I'm sure it can be done.

The reason, I believe, why everyone is complaining about ice (including me) is because they actually like ice and they want it to work . No matter what you say, ice has become to be a useless type. It is amazing offensively, but it is way too risky to use defensively. It is hit by the 4 of the most common used types in the game. And now that fairy exist, steel moves will even see more use, resulting in the utter pointlessness of the ice type. I for one would like to have a team of ice poke, but thanks to the new type this is impossible now. And to put icing on the cake, ice types don't have a diverse move pool like water, fighting and ground and they don't have good stats too. There is a reason why we have only 3 ice types in OU and one of them being a legendary.

To quote you " please go on sir so I could chuckle at your stupidity".

Edit: @ Zeta, wow so now dragons are neutral against themselves? Did we see the same type chart? or do you just want to disagree with everything I post?

I didn't think it was worth mentioning, since every Dragon-type is going to learn a Dragon-type move for STAB and to deal with other dragons. Just slap a Steel-type move on a Dragon as well and call it a day.
My point was that dragons are weak to themselves while fairies arent. Maybe dragons werent a good example, but fighting is. If fairy ends up having great stats and good moves then it is going to be OP. Nuff said.

and dragons were'nt op before fairy? psychic was'nt op before dark and steel? if nintendo makes a op type, they add a new type to balance it

Excuse me, but now you are not making any sense so once more from the top.

You first said that there is no need to fix something that is balanced and the type chart is anything, but balanced. Then you say that the new type chart is actually good because it gives poison and steel usability and this contradicts your first statement. Bottom line is the chart is not even remotely balanced. Yes, it balanced some of the types, but it destroyed a lot of other types in the process. Had they given ice a resistance to ground, fairy and water and had they given grass a resistance to fairy and rock then maybe things would have been a bit better. So let me say this again to have a balanced type chart they would have to give all the 18 types equal chances, I realize that is is hard but they can sure as hell try. Believe it or not you can balance things out in the chart and not only by introducing new types. Just watch them introduce more types next generation to nerf fairies and ghost if said types will get good moves and good stats which by the looks of it they will do.

The reason, I believe, why everyone is complaining about ice (including me) is because they actually like ice and they want it to work . No matter what you say, ice has become to be a useless type. It is amazing offensively, but it is way too risky to use defensively. It is hit by the 4 of the most common used types in the game. And now that fairy exist, steel moves will even see more use, resulting in the utter pointlessness of the ice type. I for one would like to have a team of ice poke, but thanks to the new type this is impossible now. And to put icing on the cake, ice types don't have a diverse move pool like water, fighting and ground and they don't have good stats too. There is a reason why we have only 3 ice types in OU and one of them being a legendary.

Edit: @ Zeta, wow so now dragons are neutral against themselves? Did we see the same type chart? or do you just want to disagree with everything I post?

I didn't think it was worth mentioning, since every Dragon-type is going to learn a Dragon-type move for STAB and to deal with other dragons. Just slap a Steel-type move on a Dragon as well and call it a day.
My point was that dragons are weak to themselves while fairies arent. Maybe dragons werent a good example, but fighting is. If fairy ends up having great stats and good moves then it is going to be OP. Nuff said.

and dragons were'nt op before fairy? psychic was'nt op before dark and steel? if nintendo makes a op type, they add a new type to balance it

You first said that there is no need to fix something that is balanced and the type chart is anything, but balanced. Then you say that the new type chart is actually good because it gives poison and steel usability and this contradicts your first statement. Bottom line is the chart is not even remotely balanced. Yes, it balanced some of the types, but it destroyed a lot of other types in the process. Had they given ice a resistance to ground, fairy and water and had they given grass a resistance to fairy and rock then maybe things would have been a bit better. So let me say this again to have a balanced type chart they would have to give all the 18 types equal chances, I realize that is is hard but they can sure as hell try. Believe it or not you can balance things out in the chart and not only by introducing new types. Just watch them introduce more types next generation to nerf fairies and ghost if said types will get good moves and good stats which by the looks of it they will do.

the point I'm getting at is the type chart won't be perfect, it was fine with grass, bug, and ice the way they were before 5th gen, what's the problem now?

the point I'm getting at is the type chart won't be perfect, it was fine with grass, bug, and ice the way they were before 5th gen, what's the problem now?
That is the point! ice, bug and grass were never fine in older generations. That's why most people were hoping for more balance in the new chart. The problem now is ice ( more than other types) will be utterly useless.

The new type chart on the official site says that Grass-types are immune to powder and spore attacks. And Ghost-types are not affected by moves that prevent fleeing from battle, so I guess Ghosts are immune to Shadow Tag and Arena Trap too?

Those type-based resistances to specific moves/statuses are a godsend to Rotom. Cut Rotom gets the best of the deal since it cannot be paralyzed OR spored. Rotom's normal forme cannot be affected by Mean Look or paralyzed. The other ones just can't be paralyzed. That's going to be some drastic changes to the metagame, especially the deal about Grass-types not being able to be Spored. Grass just became a more useful type.

I was about to mention the Ghost, Grass and Electric changes.

For the Grass-types, this is a great change. The benefit of Leech Seed's prevention is already applied, but with the ability to avoid the other powder moves, Smeargle's lost one of the main reasons to be used, which is to guarantee Spore. This does not affect Smash-Pass or Quiver-Pass, but it greatly affects sets that rely on setting up hazards. In addition to this, Breloom isn't as powerful if the opponent's Grass-type is active. So for example, if Amoonguss is around, Breloom can't put something to sleep since Amoonguss will threaten a Poison attack. Amoonguss and Parasect are a bit better too, for their Poison-type/Bug-type could be put to great use by threatening the opponent with Sleep or their super-effective STAB.

Electric's Paralysis immunity is interesting, since that guarantees that they cannot be slowed down. This is great for speedsters like Electabuzz and Electrode, although this means that Stunfisk's Limber ability is redundant. This makes Rotom-C essentially unaffected by Paralysis and Sleep (the best Sleep moves are Grass-type), Rotom-H can't be Burnt or Paralysed and Rotom-F can't be Frozen or Paralysed.

The description about Ghost's trapping immunity is vague, saying moves are affected (like Block and Whirlpool), but I hope it affects abilities too. This is great for my favourite type, as they can't be trapped by Shadow Tag. Jellicent or other slow Ghost-types can't be Tricked by Gothitelle easily, Ground-weak Ghost-types can escape Dugtrio easily (good for Chandelure and Honedge) and Honedge isn't worried about Magnezone or Probopass trapping it. If Chandelure gets Shadow Tag, Ghosts won't fear getting its Shadow Balls, so that's good for them. I expect Pursuit to still affect them for double damage, though.

Thanks for reading.

I don't understand how Electric types are immune to paralysis caused by Body Slam since I assumed that worked by breaking your back.

I love changes to type attributes like this. I'm happy that Electric types are immune to paralysis now because that never sat right with me. If they're doing stuff like this with the types, I'd love to Steel become immune to flinching. On the grounds that Steel types have "poise" due to their armor, anyone who's played Dark Souls will know what I'm talking about.

They're listing the sandstorm buff's in the chart... so I guess that mean there won't be any new buffs for Ice in Hail after all?

It's been a trend that roamers are becoming a product of the past, with Tornadus/Thundurus being the last ones in the first BW games, but I wonder if there will be a Ghost-type legendary roamer this time? If that were to happen, that will be a pain to catch because they will always escape you even if you are trapping them (since Ghosts are immune to trapping now).

Thanks for reading.

It's been a trend that roamers are becoming a product of the past, with Tornadus/Thundurus being the last ones in the first BW games, but I wonder if there will be a Ghost-type legendary roamer this time? If that were to happen, that will be a pain to catch because they will always escape you even if you are trapping them (since Ghosts are immune to trapping now).

Thanks for reading.

That's what Master Balls are for. ;)

They're listing the sandstorm buff's in the chart... so I guess that mean there won't be any new buffs for Ice in Hail after all?
Why am I not surprised?
It's either GF hates ice type or they think that it is extremely overpowered.

Hmm. Electric being outright immune to Paralysis probably just took away one of the few uses for Normalize...

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom