• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Generation 1 Remake Discussion Thread

I'm actually on the boat of playing with the idea of the "multi-verse", and creating a new rendition of Red/Green that appeals to both old and new fans alike. Here's some ideas...

* Go with THREE VERSIONS to appeal to both the Eastern and Western World, calling the games Mega Green, Mega Red, and Mega Blue, with the Mega Starters (Charizard Y due to its more fitting color-scheme) on the covers. I think that'd be neat.

* Pokemon-wise, I think it's absolutely necessary to focus on the original 151. Now, I'm not exactly the type to freak out when new Pokemon are added to Regions in the remakes, but I feel like a lot of fans would probably be upset, justified or not, if Kanto was suddenly overrun with later Pokemon. I'd include all the Baby and Evolutions to Gen 1 Pokemon, but in those situations, leave them optional for players---no in-game trainer during the main game would use Steelix, for example, and you wouldn't run into any wild Baby Pokemon, but you'd find the tools to breed and evolve them if you so choose.

I'd also throw in Misdreavus/Mismagius, Murkrow/Honchkrow, Sneasel/Weavile, Houndour/Houndoom, and Skarmory as well, to bolster the amount of Ghost, Dark, and Steel Pokemon available, but once more, they would be purely in the wild and not used by any major characters during the main game to keep things relatively pure. I don't think people would mind, since Johto Pokemon in Kanto doesn't seem like a huge stretch.

* For Mega Evolutions, I'd introduce Mega Butterfree, Mega Raichu, Mega Machamp, Mega Golem, Mega Marowak, Mega Lapras, Mega Snorlax, Mega Jolteon, Mega Flareon, Mega Vaporeon, Mega Jynx, Mega Dragonite, Mega Farfetch'd, and Mega Blissey and Mega Skarmory, among the Megas available from the Kanto Regional Dex. Mega Jynx, Mega Machamp, Mega Gengar, and Mega Dragonite would be used by the Elite Four this time around.

* For the Cubone plot, I'd like to see it played with---perhaps in this version, Cubone dies, and its mother lives on. Or, maybe you actually can save Marowak from its fate. But, I also think it'd be cool if this time around this is how you're introduced to Mega Evolution...you obtain the Cubone as a "Gift Pokemon" after the Lavender Town incident, as well as the Marowaknite, some memento of its dead mom or whatever.

* Soaring returns, this time via the Legendary Birds. You automatically get one of them...Zapdos in Green, Moltres in Red, Articuno in Blue...at a certain point, and can then Soar. Later you can catch the other two in their original hiding places.

* I'd keep the basic Kanto layout, so you'd travel the same way, but completely re-design all the routes and cities. Not sure how I'd go about doing this, but basically give old players something new while still being familiar. Redistribute the Pokemon as well.

* Keep all the major characters, but throw in some new elements to them, some "what-if?" elements.

I really haven't though much about this beyond those few points. I guess much of this could be done with a sequel as well.

Okay Here are my reasons why a Kanto Game may (yes I know I'm preaching to the choir here):

• Gen III started a tradition of remaking old games, partly due to the connectivity issues
  • 20th anniversary
  • popularity
  • timeline (as the original games and Hoenn were concurrent)

As for why it may not happen (again some points have been discussed here):

• Apparently; there's a 5 year type gap between remakes, and the remakes are now 3 generations behind
  • Gen V showed us they can skip remakes if they wanted to
  • This is now uncharted territory. Gamefreak has already remade all the gens with a "single" game once
  • Kanto is already accessible in HGSS
  • Finally you can catch all the pokemon with only X, Y, OR and AS.

Now for my thoughts on what a Gen 1 remake Could do:

• I think it will have a different story. If would be in the Mega-timeline, which means that the plot would have to be tweaked at the very least. However I would prefer it to have a more radically different story. maybe introduce a counterpart team to Rocket (shuttle maybe) to focus on the legendary angle or save it until a postgame arc.
  • There should be For Want of a Nail elements showing how Megastones, Infinity energy and such changed Kanto whether subtle (maybe Lostelle was successfully kidnapped by a Mega-Hypno and will be absent and implied to be missing ingame, or Amber survived causing Fuji to find a different path), major (Team Rocket deciding to use Mega Stones to re awaken The Ultimate Weapon, but unlike Flare will not use it except as an extortion/ransom tool)​
  • Speaking of which I think that Mewtwo (and maybe Mew) would get increased prominence, whether in the main campaign or as part of something a kin to the Delta Episode
  • Despite the inevitable Geewunner backlash, the initial pokedex of 151 will incorporate an expanded roster (Evolutions, some Johto pokemons and some pokemon from other regions for flavor). it happened the last couple of remakes.
  • There may be nods to the White-hand and Lavender Town Creepypasta and Missingno (simialr to the Lava Cookie under the truck in FRLG)
  • A minor thing, but The map will have colored icons for certain towns (this will also apply to the Gen II reremake)
  • They might incorporate some features and trainers from yellow, like Team Rocket (with later rematches mirroring their rosters over the year, having an Arbok, Wheezing, Victoribel, Wobbufett, Cacnea, Chimecho, Mime Jr., Seviper, Carnivine, Woobat, Yamask, Ammongus, and eventualy Pumpkaboo and Inkay).
  • Alternately, they may make have TRio's team be at a stage simialr to the players point in the game, with the rematches having fulley evoled pokemon (excpetion: possibly Meowth)​
  • Unlike in Yellow, their battles will always be doubles​
  • In the event that Mewtwo and/or Mew get an increased story role, the Box art will incorporate them (if just Mewtwo then they would show its Mega-evolutions)
  • Silver cameo and maybe Yellow cameo (it wouden't be the first time that characters from spinoff media were canonized)
  • Going with the above, there may be references to Origins (primarily regarding Mewtwo)
  • They could pull a reverse form GS and make Johto (and the Sevii islands) accessible after beating the E4 the first time, and make a delta episode-style plot for it, ultimately ending at Mt. Silver or one of the islands with a Legendary. Making this a prequel of sorts to Gen II
  • If they do go the reverse GS route then after the plot has been completed there will be a scene of a slightly older Red/Leaf making a journey to Mt. Silver again...​
  • The Team Rocket remnants from GS would likely be the antagonists of this arc (including Jessie and James if they are included). They will be led by Archer​
  • If it doesn't get released in Gen VI (a likely possibility) then there will be tweaked continuity and people feeling that certain events should have happened earlier, reinforcing the alternate timeline themes. Otherwise it would be used to tie up loose ends involving Zygarde, AZ and the Draconids

Last edited:
I was thinking about a Mew encounter on Mt. Silver on my way to Thanksgiving, and thought it would be cool if in the cutscene, Mew made its cry and used Psychic to throw a snowball at you. Just a small little thing that would point out its playful nature :p

I'd probably cry if this happened.

I definitely wouldn't mind a GEN I game set in Gen VI format!!!

Issue here is: it has to be a NEW storyline.

No more Red going through Pallet Town and upwards and all.

This time the protagonist starts in Sevii Islands. Making his way through all the 3 gyms on the Island, then moving to the mainland to take on a few of the more popular Leaders like Brock, Misty, Lt. Surge, Sabrina and Blaine. Janine has gone on to replace her father in the E4 while Koga has retired, while Erika is just an NPC now.

Elite Four takes into consideration the new changes: WILL, JANINE, BRUNO, KAREN.

Team Rocket is trying to form a spinoff.

Etc. etc.

I take issue with yellow being canon in hgss given blue's team. Ideally I would want two games Ascended blue and amazing yellow. They sound stupid but I like saying oras out loud in two breaths I don't want to go back.

As for blue's team I believe that Pidgeot is the closest thing he has to a main so he get's it in both versions. Leaf/red gets fearow.

In blue

Arcanine/Exeggutor/Gyarados
Starter replacing one
Rhyperior
Alakazzam

In yellow
Glaceon
Pidgeot
Sandslash
Tyranitar
Machamp
Magnezone

I think it would nice if you can permanently become champion. Being warped to and from your champion room instantly which has a PC and a pokemart. No new mega's but a artificial substitute called giga evolution would be made by a post game group from Unova. The difference is gigas would get a secret move if the have an open slot but keep their ability.

I particulary would love to see Kanto in 3D, it would be like visit Tokyo and Japan in a game. :ksmile:

A sequel isnt a good idea, because Johto fulfills that role. Maybe a prequel, but i think this would be better for a third game in a future generation, not in Kanto or any other old game.

A Blue "deluxe" remake is the better option, with big updates in the scenarios, designs and plots, similar to ORAS. and adapt to the megas timeline. Cause if a Red/Green were updated again, in the future will be crazy fans demanding a remake of the remake of Ruby, Silver, Sinnoh, etc... And theres no need of 395208 remakes of the same game.

And if the remake were made, Leaf should be there, at least a cameo in Pallet Town, to show that she exists in the same universe as Red.

• Have Red and Leaf exist in the same universe, like having one rival be the opposing gender while keeping Blue/Gary as the other, more prominent rival
If it happens, the rivals team should be the same used by Red in Silver/Gold, with Eeve/Espeon, the starter, Snorlax, Lapras, Pikachu.
Anyway, I would like they dont expand Red personality too much, or at least dont give a fluffy personality, but keep his stoic and non-talkative traits. Of course that if Red has the rival role when played with Leaf, he cant be mute, but he can be objective and talk as little as possible. And when talked to him again, he can say "...".

Last edited:
Kanto remake could happen but it should wait until next gen or two. I am open to the idea and willing to accept if it comes this gen. I hope the main story would be more impressive than the original. Maybe do something involving Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres and Lugia. Post game story could involve Mewtwo and Mew. Pokedex needs expansion and more mega would be nice. I am not sure about what mega Lance should use: Mega Dragonite or Mega Charizard X. Dragonite is his signature pokemon but it would be epic to take on a mega Charizard X that is use by an Elite Four member.

But hey guys, Gold, Silver and Crystal are already Kanto sequels, the direct continuation of the team rocket plot.
They should make a Kanto revamp, a yellow or blue version, is a better option.

I would like a mega for Persian, Dragonite, Arbok, Farfetchd.

My ideal FRLG remake would be Kanto in the Megaverse. Just like the first Kanto remakes did, the Megaverse Kanto would keep the majority of the contents from the originals but add some more tweaks (like the Sevii Islands). And just because I want to, I'll add a little prediction/fanfic of my own on what the contents of the Kanto remakes will be:
  • Just like the originals and the first remakes, the Megaverse Kanto starts out with Red (or Leaf if girl, but I'll refer to the protagonist as Red from now on for canon's sake) in Pallet Town and obtains one of the three Kanto starters from Professor Oak. His rival, Blue, chooses the starter with the advantage over Red's and the two battle after their choices of starter.
  • Red sets out on his journey. After delivering Oak's Parcel, he obtains the Pokedex and is requested to complete it.
  • Initially, there is not much difference between the Megaverse Kanto and RBG/FRLG. Red trains his team, captures more Pokemon to fill the Pokedex and defeats gym leaders along the way (Brock, Misty and Lt. Surge). He meets some interesting people on his journey such as Bill, the Pokemon Fan Club chairman and the SS. Anne captain. He also encounters members of the suspicious organization Team Rocket who has been causing trouble throughout Kanto such as stealing fossils in Mt. Moon and robbing a household in Cerulean City.
  • Eventually, Red arrives at Lavender Town where he hears stories of ghosts haunting the Pokemon Tower and a man called Mr. Fuji going missing. What really riled Red up was a recent incident where a Pokemon was killed while trying to defend its child from a dangerous group of criminals.
  • Unable to do anything because his Pokemon cannot attack the ghosts, Red ventures to Celadon City. He defeats Erika but more interestingly, discovers a hideout in the Celadon City Game Corner. There, he encounters several Team Rocket members and, at the very heart of the hideout, meets the Team Rocket boss, Giovanni. Red battles Giovanni and wins; Giovanni is unfazed, however, as had he utilized a certain secret weapon of his, he would have had an easy victory. Nevertheless, Giovanni recognizes Red as a somewhat worthy trainer and gives him the Silph Scope as he departs.
  • Now that he has the ability to combat the ghosts of Lavender Town with the Silph Scope, Red scales the Pokemon Tower. Towards the top, Red encounters the ghost of the Pokemon that was killed defending its child: Marowak. Red defeats the ghost with the Silph Scope and calms its spirit. On the next level, the top of the Pokemon Tower, Red encounters the very people who killed the mother Marowak and is holding Mr. Fuji hostage: a group of Team Rocket grunts. Red defeats the grunts and is taken by Mr. Fuji to his house: the Pokemon orphanage.
  • As thanks for calming the spirit of the mother Marowak, Mr. Fuji gives Red the Pokemon Flute to help him on his journey. He also gives Red an item that only trainers who can make the right bond with their Pokemon can make use of: a Mega Ring. To accompany the ring, Mr. Fuji also gives Red the mega stone that corresponds to the starter he chose at the beginning of his journey. Red now possesses the ability to Mega Evolve his Pokemon.
  • Red continues his journey with his newfound ability; however, he arrives to Saffron City which has recently been infiltrated by Team Rocket members. Red, aiming to rid the city of these criminals, boldly ventures inside Silph Co. where the Rockets are holding their operations at. After defeating the grunts guarding the floors and making his way around the complexity of the building, he encounters Giovanni again on the top floor. Red and Giovanni have another battle with Red coming out as the victor once again. The dialogue is the same as the originals, with Giovanni conceding defeat and temporarily disbanding Team Rocket. However, he notices that Red possesses a Mega Ring and is surprised that a child has the ability to make use of it. Giovanni states that he hopes he will meet Red again, only next time the battle won't be so easy. With Team Rocket driven out of the city, the president of Silph Co. gives Red the Master Ball as a gift, the Master Ball being the reason Team Rocket infiltrating Silph Co., although their reasons for targeting the Master Ball are unclear.
  • Red is once again able to continue his journey, battling and defeating Gym Leaders such as Sabrina, Koga and Blaine. Something of interest on Red's journey is reading about a mythical Pokemon called Mew inside the Pokemon Mansion and how the scientists of Cinnabar Island were researching it extensively.
  • Red, with possession of nearly every badge in Kanto, revisits Viridian City in the hopes of earning the last badge. To his astonishment, the gym leader turns out to be Giovanni. Giovanni hopes that by defeating Red in this gym battle, he will be able to revive Team Rocket. This time, Giovanni uses his gym battle team of Ground-types that was well-known throughout Kanto. However, after a long and rigorous battle, Red comes out as the victor. Giovanni is astonished that he managed to lose to the same child again and decides that maybe it's best to train himself more before attempting to revive Team Rocket. However, seeing as how he never utilized his secret weapon in his battles with Red and his master plan not yet having been put into action, Giovanni has not lost all hope. He hands Red the Earth Badge and departs with the claim that Team Rocket is done.
  • With all eight badges, Red ventures to Indigo Plateau to take on the Elite Four. After the toughest battles Red has ever endured on his journey with the famed Elite Four members, Red is allowed to take on the Champion to claim the title. As it turns out, the Champion is none other than Blue. Red and Blue battle with their fullest potentials at their disposal, only for Blue to reveal that with his last Pokemon, his fully-evolved starter, he is able to Mega Evolve it like Red can. Despite Blue's ability to Mega Evolve his Pokemon as well, Red comes out as the victor. Professor Oak arrives to congratulate Red on not only his accomplishments but also his bonding with his team. Oak scolds Blue for forgetting that friendship is key to becoming a great trainer. Red is entered into the Hall of Fame as the new Kanto Champion.
  • However, his journey is far from over. Learning that new Pokemon have been discovered in outskirts of Kanto, Oak upgrades Red's Pokedex and Red continues his journey. His journey includes the Sevii Islands, where he encounters Pokemon not native to Kanto. Red also encounters the remnants of Team Rocket who are in denial that Giovanni has disbanded the group. Their leaders, Archer and Ariana, battle Red only to be defeated and being forced to admit that Team Rocket has been disbanded. However, they hint that they will attempt to revive Team Rocket and bring back Giovanni in the near future.
  • Okay, so here's the Megaverse-exclusive part. Red hears of an uproar in Cerulean City. He goes to investigate. As it turns out, there is trouble within Cerulean Cave, a dungeon filled with high-leveled Pokemon that Red could not explore prior. Within the cave, Red encounters some of the most high-ranking Team Rocket members, the members in possession of Pokemon that even the Champion had trouble defeating. Nevertheless, Red conquered the Team Rocket members and ventured further into the cave where the heart of the uproar is occurring. There, he encounters none other than Giovanni.
  • Giovanni explains to Red that the reason for the team's infiltration of Silph Co. was to claim the Master Ball and capture a man-made powerhouse that the scientists of Cinnabar lost control of. Giovanni explains that Red is not the only one capable of Mega Evolution; Giovanni is a user of the ability as well and that ability is what allowed him to gain control of the man-made Pokemon without the use of the Master Ball. Giovanni states that with the possession of the most powerful Pokemon, he will defeat the Champion and get revenge for his previous defeats along the way. Giovanni starts by unleashing Mewtwo, which is currently under Giovanni's control and could not be captured by Red. Giovanni Mega Evolves Mewtwo (whether it's X or Y depends on the version) and orders it to attack Red. Red still manages to defeat Mega Mewtwo X/Y. Horrified that not even Mewtwo could incapacitate Red, Giovanni battles Red with his best team. Part of his team is his trump card, the one that Giovanni saved for only special occasions: Rhyperior, which could Mega Evolve. However, Red still manages to defeat Giovanni and his best team. Giovanni finally concedes complete defeat, resolving to go into training and aiming to become a better trainer before attempting to revive Team Rocket.

My ideal is that they do sequels instead of a remake. Like have this 3DS game be to GRBY what B2/W2 were to B&W. Have a few different gym leaders (replace Blaine's gym with a Ghost gym in Lavender Town!), have the game go in a different order (like, add a new little town on the other side of the region), add more landmarks/caves, return to the Sevii Islands, but flesh them out further, bring back Team Rocket one more time.

a sequel to frlg would probably be nice. i would not play dedicated remakes at this point in my life but i would definitely play a sequel. adding more to the sevii islands and a battle frontier would be a start but kanto's a fairly small region so it'd probably need a little more than that. also the problem with sequels especially with a region as well-documented as kanto is: where do you start? iirc gsc/hgss' timelines start three years after rby's and realistically speaking if you start after that you're probably still playing in a gsc-esque kanto, which few people want to play in. maybe a prequel would be interesting. i think i would like a prequel. maybe add in a few small towns or cities? who knows?

e: tbh i don't think there will be kanto remakes. i would like to play a sequel or a prequel but… i don't want to play the same game i play anually again, lol, especially since i hate the 3d. i just don't know what else they'd do with kanto remakes other than set up the main story either before or after the rby/frlg one, and i get the feeling that there isn't a whole lot to do

Last edited:
I think the problem is with the whole argument of 'We need a new Red/Blue remake because you can't play GBA games on 3DS!' , that when new hardware is released where you can't play DS games, everyone will ask for new Gold and Silver remakes, and so on and so on with Ruby and Sapphire. If that were to happen, Pokemon would never move forward because it would keep needing to make remakes of games they've already remade!

Thanks for reading!

Why not just use the original Red and Blue and make it available via eShop download?
Then you can play it on your 3DS for like ... $8 or so.

Why not just use the original Red and Blue and make it available via eShop download?
Then you can play it on your 3DS for like ... $8 or so.

because I think people would like it it be compatible with the more recent games?

I'm very much in favor of Generation I re-remakes, and the timing would be perfect, what with the 20th anniversary coming up. I actually have several ideas...

1: The entirety of the Sevii Islands is packed into the main storyline, and the post-game has you visit pre-HG/SS-era Johto (Radio Tower and Pokéathlon Dome still under construction, Jasmine still uses Onix and specializes in Rock, and so forth), followed by the Orange Islands. I know they're anime-only, I know, I know, I just think the whole thing with the Gyms has potential as fun post-game content, y'know? Target-shooting games that factor in the level of the Pokémon you use, having to navigate a mountain without using field moves despite being given many opportunities to do so, one-on-one battles that make you and the opponent use the same type... it has potential, doesn't it? Drake would be basically the final boss, a'la Red in HG/SS.

2: When you first visit the Safari Zone, you receive a Safari Card, which keeps track of your Safari Points. Basically, you earn Safari Points by catching Pokémon in the Safari Zone. Rarity matters- catching a Nidoran or Paras would net you two, MAYBE three Safari Points, whereas catching a Chansey nets you 25 points easy. You also receive 30 Safari Points along with HM03 as your reward for reaching the Secret House. Now, you can exchange Safari Points for certain privileges in the Safari Zone- extra Safari Balls per visit, more steps allowed, better catch rate for the Safari Balls, discounts on the entry fee- and these are permanent, and can stack, but there would be a cap for each one. There would also be things like unlocking new Safari Zone areas with Pokémon not native to Kanto, unlocking Hidden Ability Pokémon within the Safari Zone, upgrading your Rocks and Bait to ones that work better, and a pass that grants you access to a souvenir stand where you can buy various rare items, including Safari Balls for use outside the Safari Zone.

3: Numerous references to old glitches are made. After trading Raichu for Electrode on Cinnabar Island, the man tells you that the Raichu went and evolved, before correcting himself, wondering what the hell he was thinking to say something so ridiculous. A Sailor NPC tells you of a strange creature he encountered once near Cinnabar Island, and that ever since that encounter, he's had too many of a certain item, and offers you one of them, giving you a Rare Candy. Another NPC on Cinnabar Island looks out at the east coast, and whenever you talk to him, he wonders if he just saw a random Pokémon from the last location you were in- for instance, if you flew to Cinnabar from Route 1, he'd wonder if he just saw a Rattata in the water. And he'll invariably shrug it off and claim to just be seeing things.

4: The music would be based off of R/B/Y, as opposed to FR/LG. FR/LG just... I dunno, something just seemed off about the soundtrack. It didn't really feel the same as the originals, if that makes any sense. Whereas OR/AS did a much better job making its music feel like the originals' music.

5: A'la Origins, Mr. Fuji gives you a Key Stone and the Mega Stone corresponding to your starter (In the case of Charizardite, you get X in Inferno Red, and Y in Forest Green). The Key Stone comes in the form of a Mega Necklace if you play as a girl, and a Mega Hat if you play as a boy. The Mega Hat is Red's hat with the Key Stone in the back. Meaning the Mega Evolution cutscene involves Red turning his hat backwards to Mega Evolve his Pokémon. Yeah. :)

6: Oh, yeah, I got name ideas- Pokémon Inferno Red and Forest Green.

7: Encounter type specific messages return (Fishing- "The hooked Skrelp attacked!"; Surfing- "Whoa! A wild Tentacool swam up from the depths!"; Fake item ball- "?! The item ball was a wild Voltorb!"). The messages also acknowledge when the wild Pokémon is Shiny ("A Shiny Rattata appeared?!"; "The hooked Shiny Skrelp attacked?!"; "Whoa! A Shiny Tentacool swam up from the depths?!"; "?!?! The item ball was a Shiny Voltorb?!").

8: New Key Item- Tackle Box. It's used to hold Bait, which you can make from berries. Bait gets attached to fishing rods to influence something about the next Pokémon you fish up. Dry Bait ensures a Special Attack boosting nature, Sweet Bait ensures a Speed boosting nature, Bland Bait ensures a neutral nature, Secret Bait ensures it has its Hidden Ability, and so forth. The only bait that can't be made is Glimmer Bait- it can only be bought and is highly expensive, but it doubles the chances of hooking a Shiny once.

There's other ideas I have, too, these are just some of them.

the problem is the recent romoval of every game corner when it's important to RBY's story.

They could still have the Game Corner in remakes, they just wouldn't have slot machines. Turn the slot machines into... I dunno, Voltorb Flip machines or something. Just so long as we can still buy coins. and use those to buy Pokémon.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom