• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh There are petitions about Gamefreak fixing the 'Galar Pokedex' thing

Ugh, this reminds me of the petitions people made to get Misty back in the anime when she left back in 2002/2003. Why do english speaking fans think they have any influence over a million dollar franchise like Pokemon? Remember when people thought an online petition was going to get Misty back as a main character in the early 2000's?

Ugh, this reminds me of the petitions people made to get Misty back in the anime when she left back in 2002/2003. Why do english speaking fans think they have any influence over a million dollar franchise like Pokemon? Remember when people thought an online petition was going to get Misty back as a main character in the early 2000's?

....Excuse me if I don't trust twitter ranting as an effective means either. Pressure aid is pressure aid.

My question is, if the models are all done by Creatures Inc (and assuming their animations too), then why not let them sort out the problem that GF are allegedly having?
i mean if LGPE is anything to go off of, Creatures is still there. reality of the situation is that it really is a whole lot of modeling and animation to do. it was presented as simply a function of time more than anything: delay the games (for at least one year because we know no one involved will want to give up juicy holiday sales) or cull pokemon. and as i've said before, this is definitely a lose-lose decision for Game Freak.

and i would point out the elephant in the room regarding animations: there's still the work that'll need to be done for SwSh's Pokemon Amie. and that's where the bulk of the snags are likely being hit.

I am going to reget this I fear...

Got linked some stuff about questionnaire emails in Europe and surveys in Japan. Got a link for the Japanese survey and a translation, Reddit trust for the email.

...Can I just say, before Reddit flames start up, that the part mentioned about the age preference for response is really not something to fume at. They should think about parts outside that age, but age rage always worries me.
Pokemon games are made for any kind of audience. This means that you and a 8 years old child should beat the game no matter the age difference.
This is why there's litterally no one in the region who can really challenge you through the main story. Trainers are basically there just to make you level up...
The only real difficulty we have seen so far is in some battles of 3rd versions (BW2/Usum).

I was thinking about Sun and Moon's "Lilliegate" earlier today and I've come to the personal conclusion that maybe it was actually just a byproduct of whatever toolchain they used to compile the final game to its media.

Think about this for a minute. If you download a file into 20 different folders on your hard drive, chances are good you will end up with 20 identical copies of the same file. Not because you wanted to, but because that's the default operation the operating system used for the task.

Or, if you are familiar with modern C programming you may be know about "inline functions". Normal functions are compiled into the executable once then called from whenever/wherever else the code needs to use it. Inline functions look similar visually, but their internal code is essentially copy and pasted every place it gets used. (This is a size/speed tradeoff; inline functions don't require overhead on the memory stack.) So if an inline function gets called from 800 different places in the source code, there will be no less than 800 (mostly) identical copies of that code in the executable.

My final example might run a little long, but it IS from an actual AAA game of the day:
Back in the PS1 era there was a RTS game called "Warzone 2100"; the game was also released on PC, and I was part of a small modding community for it. The game had decent internal mod support, and received ten free post-launch updates from the developer in its time. The developers released an official map editor, which included (most critically) a command-line utility that compiled files into the container format the game used.

However, due to the particular way the game loaded a map for a game session, various assets (3D models, textures, sound FX, etc.) could be referenced multiple times from multiple files, and the compiler utility packaged a new copy of the same file for each one. For example, texturepage #18 was one of many bitmaps that contained mostly particle effects, explosions, etc, but because the game had three visual 'themes' (desert, urban, mountain) and some visual assets were theme-specific, each theme had to load every texture explicitly, even for textures that were common across all themes -- in turn causing the utility to compile identical copies of the same file multiple times throughout the mod package.

Once we figured out the actual binary format of the mod package files, I remember creating an alternate compiler utility that organized the file in a different way to eliminate compiling redundant assets. For texture mods specifically it could reduce overall mod size by as much as 50%!

I'm not saying that this is an ideal situation, but I actually don't think it was intentional either; a case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." If the developers were too busy on production to realize this design flaw in their toolchain, and it didn't cause any actual problems for the QA team to report, THAT is how it made it into the final game.

Wasn't the problem unique to Lillie, though, not with the other models? If it was just a matter of how the game referenced things, then we should have seen the same thing with all the other models in the game-a model of Hau every time he appeared, a model of Pyumuku every time it appeared, etc.

And if it doesn't just apply to Lillie, and there really is a new model made for every NPC appearance, I'd say it's definitely a case of "it's broke, fix it". That'd be way too much space taken up by duplicates.

serebii has also mentioned that the pokémon have celebration animations as part of a cutscene that occurs when you win gym battles and such. is it perhaps more individualized that the version of that in SM for winning Totem Battles, which was just a generic "turn around, play amie animation #1 or whatever"?

obviously the animations for dynamax are going to be the same as they usually are, but I think there could be a fair amount we havent seen here.

if fans can't put two and two together and see that the bulk of new animations probably went towards Amie, that's on them.

That might be the biggest justification Game Freak has left as for as animations are concerned - But they haven't actually shown them to us, and fans are only left to speculation instead of officially confirmed info.

Plus, I found it odd that they told us about the culling without even showing us such theorized animations you suggested. Wouldn't that have been a way better PR move to do than how they spilled the bad news in the treehouse video?

Plus, I found it odd that they told us about the culling without even showing us such theorized animations you suggested. Wouldn't that have been a way better PR move to do than how they spilled the bad news in the treehouse video?

its a nice idea on paper but im not sure it would make a difference in practice. unless they were to show off a considerably large portion of the new animations (many which likely pertain to new pokémon they're not ready to reveal yet), i guarantee you that a selected handful of animations would still be met with, "we sacrificed my bros from 2008 for wooloo's facial expressions!!?!?"

Random note, but the idea of a limited dex itself might have been interesting had they made a prequel game. Like, a game set in the past way before they created artificial pokemon like Porygon and Castform. And not having fossil revival technology yet. Maybe even going back to old times when Pokeballs weren't even a thing so there's no Voltorb/Electrode, and the Foongus line would probably look different. And perhaps no invasive species.

But then again, this is just one scenario where a limited dex makes sense and serves a purpose. Gen 8 most certainly doesn't look like a prequel anyways...

Ugh, this reminds me of the petitions people made to get Misty back in the anime when she left back in 2002/2003.
That isn’t a good analogy at all. We did not have to pay a subscription price for the misty replacement.
This issue actually affects people much more than Misty leaving. People have 10+ year old Pokémon stored in their Pokebank, and now they’re charging us for a Pokémon home service that you cannot remove your Pokémon from if it isn’t in the Galar dex.

And the entry to Pokémon Home is one way from the 3DS entries and bank, so you cannot use them in a place other than Home if your favourite Pokemon isn’t in the Galar Dex.

Know what's weird? Looking through the E3 demos and the private demos I notice a very slight difference. In the private demo when Dreadnaw dynamaxes, there's some points when his jaw clips through the ground, but in the floor demo, the issue is not present if not completely fixed. So I dunno if both demos are from different development periods or not

delay the games (for at least one year because we know no one involved will want to give up juicy holiday sales) or cull pokemon. and as i've said before, this is definitely a lose-lose decision for Game Freak.
There’s the option of patching them in later, and not make it a policy going forward.

if fans can't put two and two together and see that the bulk of new animations probably went towards Amie, that's on them.
They should show at least a sampling of the new animations. Nothing we’ve seen currently is unique. We still don’t have proof that the Poké camp will not recycle the previous Amie and refresh animations.

Hmmm, may I throw something in?

It's kinda dumb but at least hear me out. I think I might understand the reason for the cut. Storage space. What I mean is, after seeing an article of Breath of the Wild saying, if downloaded, the games takes 13.4 GB, little under half the internal capacity of the switch. The 3DS can only hold 2 GB by itself. X and Y's about 1.7, so it's a snug size, but SUMO an USUM, are over 3 GBs already surpassing the limits of the 3DS without the use of an SD card. And the 3DS XL has only 4 GB so back to being. I'm sure the data zine of the games is due to the sheer number of pokemon data along with the rest of the game. Now I know the swich can handle a lot more, even BOTW only takes up half, I feel how much the the switch can hold isn't the problem, I think they want to keep the games a certain size for capacity. LGPE was already 4.1 GBs and that has significantly less pokemon in it, yet exceeds their past number.So imagine how much bigger the size will become when hundreds more are added, not to mention if the game itself is far bigger. So the pokemon numbers are bulking up the game and the number will keep increasing. Whether a personal limit or one set upon them, they have to keep the game a certain size, preferably handheld levels. And in order to stay with that limit, pokemon have to be left out. So long story short. Pokemon has to stick to handheld levels of size and there's too many pokemon to make that so, hence the dex cut. Again it's a dumb thought and feel free to shoot me down on it and call me stupid, but it's just an idea.

There’s the option of patching them in later, and not make it a policy going forward.

but even if they do patch them in, surely the issue is just going to rear its head again when they move onto the next console and there are even more pokémon to deal with? in that regard, it kinda has to be a policy change for the foreseeable future, at least in regards to primary pair games. even if patches are a feasible post-release solution, realistically they can't really just say, "taking note of the negative response to our previous decision, we have arrived at a revised policy change going forward: we will henceforth refrain from releasing any entries into the series until we can ensure that all pokémon assets can be included while also meeting the graphical standards for that game."

For those who wonder if Dynamax may be the reason of the Dex removal:

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/c55p9w/i_just_realized_dynamaxed_animations_is_the_same/

The more fans analyze and compare game animations and models, the worse it seems for game freak. >.>
The worst thing about Dynamax is that if you are fighting with a normal pokemon against a dynamaxed pokemon, all your damaging moves will be stylized to a flash of light because of the different size of the the two pokemon. The only really animated moves in this scenario are max moves.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom