• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Top 5 Favourite All Time Pokemon Characters?

jasmine ; she's my baby. i love her so much. <3

dawn ; she's just absolutely adorable. by far my favorite of ash's companions. i also love her manga counterpart. \o/

lyra ; ahhhhhh she's just so bubbly and innocent looking! ;v; such a cutie <3

looker ; omg i just- i love him so much it's insane.

blaine ; i don't even know why i love blaine. i just do. he's great. uvu

Ooh boy, this is what I've been waiting for. Rollout!

Max
Isn't he just adorable? I think he's very knowledgeable for a supposed 8-year old, and is quite brave for his age. He's got some of the best manga (for "appropriate viewers" :p) drawn about him, and is one of the reasons I've allowed a soft spot for PetalburgShipping. I think that he was a must for travelling with Ash and friends, as he did add some extra spice to four seasons that would've been somewhat less awesome without him but still win anyway.

Brock
Isn't he just magical with his skills, friendliness, and sense of traps and direction? If it weren't for him, Ash would've never made it out of Viridian Forest alive. His cooking is always spot-on, unlike many when repeatedly cooking the same meal. He's very laid-back and easy-going, although is tempered when hearing others arrogance spewed out stupidly. He's a lot less snobby than Cilan (I think so) and doesn't act like he knows everything, even though he does.

Pikachu
How can you not love a creature of such beauty, elegance, power, and cuteness? He's possibly the least unlovable Pokémon in the entire franchise, and is by far the most graceful non-legendary from Generation I. I'm glad his Special stat wasn't screwed over with the release of Generation II (at least not too terribly), making it worthwhile to catch and train one in Viridian Forest, the Hoenn Safari Zone, or the Trophy Garden. He's just too awesome! :D

May
She's the perfect female protagonist, mainly because she's not angrily terretorial and isn't completely oblivious to certain things. As far as 'shipping goes, May and Ash are my one true monotype, and most likely always will be. I love May's anime-styled haircut, and like Ash has a similarly-cut lock of hair on her forehead. Because May truly brought Pokémon Contests to the world stage in my mind, I think that she is in a way a pioneer of contests as far as on-screen canon goes. I think her outfit in the Wallace Cup was most spectacular.

Ash Ketchum
He's the main protagonist from the anime, and if I didn't like him I don't think I would like Pokémon to begin with. His coal black hair and his kick-ass outfit in AG, his unavoidably lovable Pikachu, his skill pre-BW, his attitude and spirit for battling, along with his love and determination for his Pokémon have all brought up how awesome he was*. I think the Eighth Movie truly fleshed out why he's such a colossal trainer, documented here (be sure to read it listening to this, as it makes it tenfold more excellent).

* Not anymore, because he sucks in BW D:

5th Lance - He is a pretty cool guy, he has a CAPE!!! As well as some of the most powerful Pokemon in games, I love Dragonite, and I remember he was so tough in the original Red he will always have respect from me.

4th Mew - this little cutie was my favourite Pokemon from Gen 1, and still probably my favourite today, my parents bought me an Xploder (like an Action Replay) for my birthday just so I could have a Mew as they know how much I wanted one on my game. When I turned up in school with a Mew everyone was like WOW, and asked me how I got it etc. But it wasn't that that made me love Mew, it was its performance in the first movie, it was so cute, the main hero, and powerful too, and should have beat Mewtwo. Mew should come back!

3rd Misty - my favourite hero from the anime, the only character to really undergo any real character development, from hating Ash and being a fiery red head, to becoming a caring mother like figure for one of my favourite Pokemon Togepi. I like the feistyness but the caring side as well. Biggest mistake anime made was getting rid of Misty, most of my friends stopped watching it when she left.

2nd Jessie - My favourite human character from the anime overall. Again love the fesityness, she always had the funniest gags in the original series, and loved the competitiveness, also I could relate to her softer side very easily, the vulnerable side, her tough childhood, and how she wanted to go solo to avoid being hurt by others are all things that I know well.

1st Jigglypuff - everyone loves Jigglypuff in the anime, the best character of all time, how something so simple and silly as a pink balloon singing people to sleep and draw on their faces can become such a cultural icon and a big hit. If you ask most grown ups who used to like Pokemon, they will mention, most likely Pikachu, Charizard, and Jigglypuff. I have so many fond memories watching Pokemon with my Mum as a kid and pretending to go to sleep when Jigglypuff sang, it was such an adorable Pokemon with an adorable song, and funny as well. My saddest regret is they removed Jigglypuff from the anime, I always wanted Ash to catch it. I think Pokemon realise their mistake by allowing Ash to capture the recurring Krockorock in Black and White.

From the games, because I've only read the first few manga volumes and I stopped watching the anime long ago...

5. Riley from D/P/Pt. Forget Sir Aaron, this is the guy who started the Lucario epicness. Plus, that is one stylish hat.

4. Ghetsis. Possibly the first-ever Pokemon villain who came across as through-and-through nasty to me, and he somehow haxxored the system to get a Hydreigon about ten levels early.

3. From Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky, it's a tie between Dusknoir and Grovyle. I especially liked the character development they got in Sky, and they're two of my favorite Pokemon to begin with. Also it's quite possible that I ship them.

2. Silver. My favorite rival, even moreso when HG/SS brought him back. He's just an all-around badass, and apparently Giovanni's son as well (and gave his dad the proverbial middle finger, to boot).

1. Cynthia. Hands down the most badass female in the series/franchise. She's gorgeous, she's smart, she's got a freakin' Spiritomb for crying out loud, and she was the first (and to date, only) female Champion. Totally deserves the number one spot.

SIRD of Team Galactic(Spy in The Three Beasts of Team Rocket) in Pokémon Adventures!(Top 5 Evil Characters ever)
And#1...
2. Isamu "Red" Akai's(Blockhead) Clefairy(Pocket Monsters)
3. Sabrina(Games)
4. Black(Adventures)
5. Ash's Infernape(anime)

Muk-a-matic's Top 5 Pokémon Character list!
(Read like David Letterman's Top 10 list)

AND NOW...

Game
1. Blue
2. Gold
3. Red
4. Silver
5. Lance
N gets an honorary mention

Anime
1. Gary Oak
2. Drake
3. Lance
4. Ritchie
5. Harrison

Manga
1. Blue
2. Red
3. Gold
4. Silver
5. Lance
Ruby gets an honorary mention

Mixing anime and the game canons;
1. Musashi/Jessie
2. Adeku/Alder
3. Bel/Bianca (anime only)
4. Silver/???
5. Makomo/Prof. Fennel

Honorable mentions to Crystal, Kenyan, Kenji, Dent.

5:Typhlosion, because fire-type pokemon rule :)!
4:Ethan
3:Mewtwo, it is my fave pokemon of all time.
2:Arceus, it has Multitype, nuff' said!
1:Hilda, sorry for getting off-topic here, but she kinda reminds me of a certain blue hedgehog, because of how cool she is :). Also, her character design is cool. Also, her hairstyle is cute.

Okay, so, um, uh, this didn't show up in the search. Really?

Whatever. My picks:
5: Silver from Gold/Silver. He's one of my favorite rivals. You battle him a lot. He's got character development. He's awesome.

4: Ethan from the same game. He's just inexplicably deserving of the spot.

3: Wally from Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. He looks adorably like his Pokemon.

2: Cheren. Well, doy, of course he's on my list. Mild character development, weirdest clothes on a rival so far, and nerdy. Not just because I happen to have a crush on him.

1: And, the winner is...
[spoilered for effect]
Clyde the Gym guide. He's funny, and he gives you Gym tips and free water. He's definetly my favorite.

1)Cynthia
2)Cynthia
3)Cynthia
4)Cynthia
5)Cynthia

Thats it. I don't care about others.

LOL.

Last edited:
I only thought about the Pokémon themselves before, but I'll see what I can do in terms of favourite characters.

From 5th to 1st :

- Clay
- Black / Hilbert / Touya
- Steven
- Cynthia
- Commander Mars

There my list go.

1 - Cynthia / Sinnoh Champion.
I just loved to see a woman champion. And she is beautiful, strong and have good Pokémon.
Curse you, Garchomp.

2 - Dawn / Sinnoh Coordinator
Dawn was cute, sexy (i'm not a pedo, ok lol) and had a nice personality; I miss Piplup and her "Daijobu" =(

3 - Cyrus / Galactic Team Boss.
Best villain team boss, crazy as f**k.

4 - Nando (Naoshi) / Sinnoh Trainer and Coordinator.
Again, another one with style. He is very cool! And what is that Kricketune? It almost beat the shit of Ash's Heracross.
And I love the fact he has only bipedal Pokemon, just the way I like.

5 - Lawrence III (Gelardan) / The villain of The Power of One.
He has style, he is a gentleman, he is evil and he has a Mew card.

Picking 5 is so much more difficult than I imagined it would be. Okay, in no order

5. Will of the Eite Four. I just adore him, his HeartGold/SoulSilver outfit and his mask make him look so distinctive. I like to imagine that as a persin he is quite sweet and caring but when he is fighting off challengers he becomes a strong, powerful and fierce fighter.

4. Steven Stone. Steven was a character I had a bit of a crush on. He used these super rare pokemon that you could only get once in the game (Beldum and the two fossils) and in Emerald he was a powerhouse. Even the most competent of players cried for mercy seeing that freaking Metagross. I am just saddened that, like Wallace, he was overshadowed in the anime completely. At least Wallace was acknowledged as powerful. Steven was treated like any other "trainer of the day".

3. Mewtwo in the first film- When I first watched the film I was scared yet amazed by him. His strong hatred of original Pokemon and scornful tone made me frightened of him and just what he was capable of doing. Unlike other legendary Pokemon, he didn't attack out of anger. Mewtwo felt a sense of self-loathing. I believe he hated himself for being "nothing but a copy" and wanted to correct that by ridding the world of the originals. Despite being scared of him, in my childish brain, I knew from the moment I saw him that he could be redeemed and feel better. I felt so sorry for him. Then of course I watched the full introduction of the first movie on Youtube. After seeing the trauma he went through watching all his clone friends dying and being lost forever, I wanted to hug him tightly and tell him it was okay and he would always be important

2. Gold/Ethan is always going to be somebody I love purely because Gold was the first Pokemon game I owned myself. Although I had played Pokemon Red and Blue before, I had never the chance to identify with Red like I did Gold as it wasn't my game. When I see Gold's original sprite I think of my own character Rhianno and remember my first team with such fondness. As a character though Ethan/Gold looks awesome too.

1. Lance is a badass dragon tamer. There is no other way to describe him. As soon as I saw his little sprite in Gold I was in love with him at the age of 7. He was the first champion to come out of the plateau and fight with the player, a trend that Steven, Cynthia, Alder and Wallace did afterwards. The fact he was in this secret society of people who protected Pokemon like the magikarp was always an amazing addition to his character for me. Lastly the way he orders his Draginte to use a move on the shopkeeper in Mahogany town in the remakes was the most awesome thing I ever saw. I mean, sure the text said he used a move but the sprite shows Dragonite body slamming that guy into the wall with force. Does Champion Lnce care? Nope!

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom