• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Want More Readers?

Legacy

Reader and Writer
Reaction score
Here is a conversation I had with an author on here. Basically that author asked how I got readers, and this was the list of advice I compiled.

Just thought it could be of some help to those who would like more readers. Feel free to add your own opinions or refute some of mine :) Hopefully this will stimulate a good conversation.

1. Deep, detailed characters. Number one, your story has got to have characters that the readers can legitimately relate to and feel a real emotional connection with. Otherwise, if a character is too boring and cliche, the reader doesn't give a shit about what happens to them through the course of the story.

You have so much more potential than me in this aspect. Your stories can be that much more deep and imaginative because you use original characters while I basically use the anime's predetermined personalities.

Give your characters uniqueness, quirks, favorite sayings, and most of all... faults. This is something I struggle to do in The Power Inside because of Ash's predetermined heroic, Mary-Sue-like characterization that the anime established. But readers want complex characters with whom they can relate. A hero is boring if he or she is too perfect, and thus the amazing feats the hero accomplishes in your story way too easy.

2. Walk the line between description and overkill. This is also something I struggle with. Read the 'prologue' to either ASL or TPI and you will notice right away an example of 'overkill.' I use too much description and I end up bombarding my reader with too many needless words.

That being said, it's also important to use a lot of description. The reader wants to know what's happening. Paint a picture about what's going on. But just don't use big, descriptive words carelessly. Just walk the line between the two... find a good balance. You are a talented writer. So I'm sure this won't be a problem for you.

3. Come up with an exciting storyline. Basically, I thought up the storyline for TPI over the course of months when I lay in bed at night. I've always wanted the Pokemon Anime to have more complex storylines, romance, more adult themes, etc., so ASL and TPI were my chance to do that.

Without giving away the full plot of my story, I use a lot of plot twists to keep the reader guessing and therefore interested in my story. A lot of fic beginnings get read here in the Writers Workshop, but few are actually followed for the duration by a lot of people. This is due to a boring storyline most likely.

Having mystery is important. I introduce mystery right at the beginning of my story with the opening scene where the TR boss (whom we don't know who he is at the beginning) has killed the female professor somewhere deep within the forest. I also include mystery when I introduce the coin, Lexi, the M3 Project CD, and the TR super creature... it all keeps the reader clicking on my fic's thread to see if/when I reveal answers to all of these mysteries. I'm not saying my story is that great, but the point is I think mystery is important.

Cliffhangers are also helpful to get people to come back to your story again and again. Give people a reason to want to come back to your story's thread.

I also think it helped that I pretty much constructed the entire plot in my head and wrote things down before I actually began to write the story. This helped me because I didn't steer off the plot and was able to keep each chapter pretty exciting while still advancing the plot. Just focus on getting from Point A to Point B to Point C with your story. Have an outline or script or something, but above all... plan the plot out.

4.Think as the reader. This one speaks for itself. As you are writing your story, go back and read what you've written frequently. Try to forget that you wrote what you're reading and critique it in your head as you read like you would with anyone else's fic. This is help you find a lot of mistakes, awkward use of words, boring parts.

This is very important. Often when I'm writing, everything sounds great as I write it because of how great it seems in my head. But I'm not always the greatest at taking my thoughts and putting them into words, so sometimes I end up with errors, weird word usage and too many boring details.

5. Don't be afraid to ask. Be patient after you've written a chapter before you post it in its thread. Have someone proofread your work. Even if you go back and read your fic yourself, having another pair of eyes look at it is always helpful. They will always give you comments and suggestions that you never even thought of.

Also, when you do post, don't be afraid to do a little advertising. Create an exciting-looking sig banner that links to your fic's thread. Kindly (but don't be annoying) VM people you see reviewing a lot of fics and ask politely if they would mind reading/reviewing your fic when they have a chance. I don't do this a whole lot, but I have a few times. As long as you aren't pushy and spammy, it can't hurt to ask.

Something you could also try, although I haven't done it and it might make people mad... You could politely ask people to read your fic in appropriate threads. For example, if you have an Advanceshipping fic... perhaps post to the advanceshipping club's thread that you are writing a story that they might like. I don't know if this would be considered posting off topic or thread jacking, but yeah.

6. Read other people's fics and comment/review them. I don't mean just randomly pick a few and read only a chapter or two of each. I'm saying become active followers of a few fics (4 or 5 or however many you can handle) and comment on their threads. Not only will this allow you to see how other authors write style-wise, but you will become more recognized in this forum.

People will read what you say about their fics and become more familiar with you. This is ultimately make them more likely to return the favor when you fic's latest chapters get posted. Become a very active member in the Writer's Workshop and your thread's views and posts will only increase.

7. Concentrate on one fic at a time. I know you love writing, I do too, but try to only post new chapters of one fic at a time on here. Some people pull it off well, like Jabberwocky, but IMO working on one fic at a time makes the readers associate your name with your fic better.

This will also allow you to devote all of your fic-writing time to one fic, making that one fic that much better. You can obviously do whatever you want, if you love writing a lot of different things I don't want to discourage you that! I'm just saying that I am able to give more attention to detail on The Power Inside since I'm only working on the one fic.

8. Pick an audience and stick with 'em. Figure out who you want to be writing to. I accept that 'The Power Inside' doesn't appeal to a lot of people who don't particularly follow or like the anime. But I don't care, I love the anime and I want to write a fic based on it. I don't waste time trying to stretch the story outside believability just to try to make people like my story. Again, plan out your plot and then stay true to it.

Don't try to make a fic that you think everyone will like. Often this results in no one liking it. I struggled in ASL to try to incorporate aspects of other Pokemon-verses (manga, games, etc) by having Leah/Leaf, Gold/Jimmy, etc. If you try to make your fic too universal it just gets weird.

And if you have too many differing genres try to outshine each other, it also gets hard to read. If it's a shipping fic, make it one. If it's a journey fic, make it one. If it's meant to be humorous, make it so. But people fail when they try to make it everything.

9. Post to Fanfiction.net. I do this with the Power Inside, and it gets a ton more views than it does on the BMGf. Still, I don't like it as much because I enjoy the friendships I've made on BMGf and events like the fanfiction contests on this site.

So here is something you could try, but again, I'm not sure if it's against FFNet.com rules. You could post a few chapters on FF.net, then for your next chapter you could simple post: "To read the rest of the story, please click here:" and post the Bulbagarden link to your fic. It would encourage them to view your thread and perhaps even sign up here. Again, I've never done this, but I thought about it. I'm just not sure if it's against the rules or unethical.

10. Finally, don't write for the thread views and comments. In the end, who really cares about the exact number of views or comments you have? After all, fanfiction writing is mostly enjoyable to the writer him or herself. Just focus on doing what you love to do, and the readers will come.

It's like any artist, musician, etc... if the audience can sense that the artist loves what he or she is doing and is putting all of their heart into it, it's hard not to like it.

Wow this is awsome advice. I mod should definitly sticky this. Its so helpful!!

You could post a few chapters on FF.net, then for your next chapter you could simple post: "To read the rest of the story, please click here:" and post the Bulbagarden link to your fic.
Just a note: FFNet blocks all links in the stories themselves, and in the forums nobody can post a link that doesn't go to a Fanfiction.net or Wordpress.net (.com?) webpage. So yeah, you can't post the first few chapters and then say 'go here for the rest', because you'd end up needing to make some ridiculously coded wordplay trick akin to advertising on Neopets. (They actually block the word 'FF.net'. Fail.)

This is all good advice, and I agree with everything else. I am guilty of the multi-fic thing, though. :c

I, too, am guilty of multi-fic. It doesn't help that my writing process becomes alternate stories, and not work on the other when you have writer's block.

However, I noticed something with FF. If you feature a non-animé, non-romance story, you're unlikely to get reviews. That's what happened with Speargun, where every other Cyrus fic seemed like a shipping fic. I might be over-exaggerating the problem, though.

Something that seems to bother me a bit if the read other fics and review, I don't have any problem with that but it's not sure if the people will actually post in your fic and even if they do post how do you know if people actually read it.

I'm guilty of multi-fic as well, which is why most of my fic die young.

Something that seems to bother me a bit if the read other fics and review, I don't have any problem with that but it's not sure if the people will actually post in your fic and even if they do post how do you know if people actually read it.

People generally are not in the habit of posting in the threads of fanfics they don't read. Hell, a lot of people aren't in the habit of posting in the threads of fanfics they do read.

However, I noticed something with FF. If you feature a non-animé, non-romance story, you're unlikely to get reviews. That's what happened with Speargun, where every other Cyrus fic seemed like a shipping fic. I might be over-exaggerating the problem, though.

You're not over-exaggerating, trust me. >:c As a person who writes primarily game canon and dislikes shipping as a whole, I suffer from that, but frankly I don't care because most people who review on FFNet are for the most part the bottom-feeders of the fanfiction community anyway. I just put my stuff up there because it's generally agreed to be a popular site for people who don't stalk forums all day, and so I can make real-life fanfic pitches without having to direct people to their nearest conveniently-located Pokémon forum.

#1: Infinitely checked for me, the only downside so far being only one being exhibited thus far.
#2: It tends to fluctuate for me, depending on the action.
#3: Fuck yeah a check.
#4: Well, it's first person, so I don't need to worry about details as long as I get the character right. I'm a good self-critic too, so I dunno.
#5: I have. Multiple times!
#6: Kind of difficult seeing as how my story is posted by an alt.
#7: I only have one.
#8: Pretty much checked.
#9: Devious. I like it. >:D
#10: Isn't that kind of the point of getting more readers? Or do you mean write and just ignore it if you don't get views?

And yet, The Story of Fritz Westmyn gets absolutely no response. What's a guy gotta do? My current prevailing theory is that it's just familiar characters, which is why Pokemon GK is able to do so well despite being so...weak. Sith Droideka, you are absolutely right.

Anyone else have points to add?

What do you guys do to attract more readers?

Well this probably doesn't help, but even though it's bad if your fic has too many genres if you're able to balance every one of them people will like to read it more. For example a well balanced fic between drama and action and you can even balance that with comedy or horror depending on how strong you are at writing and getting the good things out of each one of those genres.

Well this probably doesn't help, but even though it's bad if your fic has too many genres if you're able to balance every one of them people will like to read it more. For example a well balanced fic between drama and action and you can even balance that with comedy or horror depending on how strong you are at writing and getting the good things out of each one of those genres.

Definitely agree. When I said you shouldn't have too many genres I didn't mean to sound like you should only stick to one. I just mean that it should fit well together. Great action fics can have romance in them. I just am trying to say that you shouldn't make something into a genre that doesn't fit.

I'm still relativaly new to the forums and to Fanfiction in general, but I have to say when writing a story, I find it helps to add little tidbits of humor here and there, it helps ease tension and really take a reader by surprise.
The Percy Jackson series is proof of that.
Adding action in unexpecting places helps too. As long as its fitting.
Really it all come down to the ability to put yourself in the readers position.
Even though I'm new to Fanfiction, I do still write.

1. Well, it depends on whether you view my characters as deep and detailed...I keep thinking of some of them as too shallow. I don't consciously develop my characters.

2. Unfortunately, I fall toward the lacking side of description.

3. Nope, no excitement in the storyline itself. Except for a spattering of humour here and there.

4. This I do. And it's good practice.

5. Uhmm... I would do this for want of somebody who would actually be in sync with my schedule.

6. This I do as well, although only for the genre that I like and write in.

7. This I do as well. I'm not currently working on any other fics besides Generation 2021, although I am juggling around a few ideas like the Pokeball invention story, which should be its own 13-chapter special.

8. Uhmmm... Guess so. Normally I'm only writing for one audience anyway, so I guess I don't consciously follow this rule either.

9. I do this too, but their formatting is annoying. I also have a blog on Wordpress where I post all my wares.

10. I write to write.

I have an eleventh one to add:

11. Be patient. If your fic doesn't get any reviews in a few days, don't sweat it. Just keep writing and the reviews will come. When I posted Generation 2021 on FF.net for the first time, I didn't do any of the stuff that said "R&R please!" or any of that stuff. But now, I currently have 54 reviews on the story, and two people even submitted Gym Leaders for use in the story.

For a good example of (not balance, but a good interblending) of comedy and horror, I recommend The_Noob's Tarnished Gold.

Well, if it's any help, it's been my observation (over at a different site, at least) that getting nominated for things usually convinces more readers to think that "Oh, that story really is good, let me go check it out". Of course, there isn't always much you can do about this, but if just one person thinks your stuff is good then they might nominate it... and that might rope in more people. ;3

Oh, another one: write one-shots and other short stories. By plaguing the forum every once in a while with your one-shots, some people could read those, and if they like it enough those people could go and check out the other stories you wrote.

There's also the concept of spreading your posts to other parts of the forum. People get interested in, say, the manga or competitive battling section that might not set foot in the fanfiction section normally, so expanding your posting grounds is a nice way to involve people who aren't likely to think something along the lines of "Oh, I like fic X better". It's also generally a good practice to get into.

Excellent advice in ten simple points, no doubt about it. I especially agree with the tenth.

11. Be patient. If your fic doesn't get any reviews in a few days, don't sweat it. Just keep writing and the reviews will come. When I posted Generation 2021 on FF.net for the first time, I didn't do any of the stuff that said "R&R please!" or any of that stuff. But now, I currently have 54 reviews on the story, and two people even submitted Gym Leaders for use in the story.
Totally. Unfortunately, Patience is a Virtue, and hence not as widespread as it should be.

Well, if you're really obsessed with reviews, make your fic animé or shipping (or both). That always seems to get reviews, as frustrating as it is for people who either like to work with game canon or combining or twisting other canons.

Well, if you're really obsessed with reviews, make your fic animé or shipping (or both). That always seems to get reviews, as frustrating as it is for people who either like to work with game canon or combining or twisting other canons.
Gosh, people, stop staining the name of the noble activity of Shipping! :sweat: *cracks whip*

However, shipping is, indeed, the one field where you can write pure crap and get away with 200+ reviews; Twilight proved it on a "professional" level. How meaningful those reviews are, though, will vary greatly of course: I assure you a 99% will be a variant of "I liek ur fic, plz conitnu!", and of the remaining 1% more than half will be "ur fic sux!" (which it will if you're doing it for the popularity)

If that strokes your ego just right, then go ahead. Personally, it doesn't do it for me, and in my nearly 9 years as a shipping writer (of many fandoms), it has never been more than a shame to get so little; I prefer to get nothing.

Anyways, people, stop recommending the honorable activity of Shipping as a solution for others' popularity problems; it brings a copious amount of extra suck into a section that already has problems with it. And that's not nice.

I agree with the lot of stuff posted here already but I can think of another possible problem.

We all know that some fics just don't have the luck to be clicked on and opened at all, interesting title or not, that's just kinda plain luck. But even that aside, I sometimes get the feeling that people, when they open a thread and see some long chapter, are kinda-sorta...ish scared of it. It's like they don't want to read something so long and think of it as waisting time, when in fact, it's the longest fics that usually have the most thought put in them and are the better ones. Well, tough luck for many of us who like to write big-ass long chapters. Heck, on Serebii I've been 5 times past the characters limit!

I agree with the lot of stuff posted here already but I can think of another possible problem.

We all know that some fics just don't have the luck to be clicked on and opened at all, interesting title or not, that's just kinda plain luck. But even that aside, I sometimes get the feeling that people, when they open a thread and see some long chapter, are kinda-sorta...ish scared of it. It's like they don't want to read something so long and think of it as waisting time, when in fact, it's the longest fics that usually have the most thought put in them and are the better ones. Well, tough luck for many of us who like to write big-ass long chapters. Heck, on Serebii I've been 5 times past the characters limit!

This is so true. I mean there are fics that have short chapters and are good; but it seems like people are just a bit lazy to actually dedicate time to reading a long chapter. Though that's probably because a lot of people aren't used to reading that much I like reading books a lot so I'm used to reading long chapters but not everyone likes it because they think the chapter is gonna be long and dragged out. The whole WW is proof most fics that have long chapters don't get a lot of reviews.

Heck, on Serebii I've been 5 times past the characters limit!

I've never had that problem, although my story did stop up a server because of certain SQL query words that seem to give the server trouble whenever they're included as text - hence why I don't put it up on Serebii anymore.

That being said, is there a character limit here on BMGf? I would hate to go over it by accident once.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom