• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What kind of modification would you give existing moves?

Ooh, loving that hyper beam idea there. D8 Should it do that for Giga Impact, Roar of Time, Rock Blast, etc, too?

It's called "sun". (If it doesn't do that, it should. Then it would be fair.)

I said that Fire Blast doesn't get more accurate, still hitting 85% of the time even in the sun, even though it's more powerful. Even then, 85% is quite a nice accuracy for its power, especially compared to Blizzard and Thunder's 70% Accuracy that could be worsened in other weather.

...maybe just making the animations look a bit more "flashy".

Give a turn limit on Stealth Rock.

Thisthisthisthisthisthisthis.

Stealth Rock needs a nerf out the wazoo.

Make some moves change their properties based on the Pokemon using it (from Physical to Special or vice-versa).

I'd like this, it'd be a fun addition.

As for my own changes, I can't think of much beyond making all fire type moves capable of burning have a higher chance of causing a burn in Sunlight weather.

Sun isn't as favorable a weather condition as Hail, Rain, and Sandstorm, imo.

Changes I would like to see;
-Increase Dizzy Punch's Base Power to 15. I don't think it has more Base Power however. I'd also up the Confusion chance, 30%.
-Increase Rapid Spin's Base Power to 40. Check+.
-Increase Uproar's Base Power to 60. Sure, why not?
-Increase Take Down's accuracy to %100. It already gets recoil. Maybe. Maybe just 90/95 though?
-Increase Rock Climb's accuracy to %90. I'd leave it at 85. I love this move, but, for one, it doesn't strike my mind as a noral Normal move. It's one unique to climbers, and, as a move, it seems like a thing that in real life would be situational.
-Give Scary Face %10 flinch chance(whut). That is crazy--but, since you're dropping speed, if you're already faster--either way, I like it.
-Increase Disable's accuracy to %100. Really. 90 maybe?
-Increase Glare and Scary Face's accuracy to %100. Sure. I'd decrease the accuracy of Thunder Wave as well, since it's such a widespread move, and Glare isnt.
-All move updates suggested on Smog besides Hypnosis. Don't comprehend...
-Increase Vital Throw's Base Power to 90. Make it more viable choice GF! How about giving it 40-50 BP, but always making it strike critical? This could indeed make it vital, if the opponent's defense is stocked up, or your attack is way reduced.
-Increase Elemental Fangs power to 70. Sure, if only for the pokemon that get this move.
-Increase Poison Fang's Base Power to 60. Maybe. I'd probably make it 55, and increase the chance of Poison to 40 instead. I like Fang moves, btw.
-Increase Gunk Shot's accuracy to %80. I'd leave it at 70; maybe the effect could be change to bad poisoning.
-Increase Rock Slide's accuracy to %100. Lower flinch chance. Nah, keep it the same.
-Increase Steel Wing's acuracy to %100. Lower it's pp to 20. The only change I would do, is increase its chance to raise defense to 20%. We're both for raising the move, in effect.
-Increase Vine Whip's Base Power to 60(for the lulz). Eh, why not. It's slightly more than Razor Leaf, which has its perks.
-Increase Knock Off's Base Power to 40. Sure.
-Increase Thief's PP to 20. Sure.

Alternatively;
-Increase Energy Ball's and Flash Cannon's PP to 15 to match Shadow Ball or for Energy Ball, Seed Bomb.

Eeh, whatever.
I like your stuff!
It's called "sun". (If it doesn't do that, it should. Then it would be fair.)

Here's one that will put people up in arms:

Increase Hyper Beam's power to 165, and instate the recharge turn even if the attack misses.
Sun powers up Fire moves. Anyway, I kinda like the underlined part, especially the second clause. Giga Attack would like the same effects, no?

Anyway, I kinda like the underlined part, especially the second clause. Giga Attack would like the same effects, no?

The second clause should only be applied if the power is raised to 165.

And yes, the other Giga attacks would have the same effect.

Here's another one that'll put people up in arms:

Increase Iron Tail's accuracy to 85, and decrease its power to 85 as well.

I'd maybe give the Hyper Beam and co. attacks some 20-30% secondary effect, perhaps based on stats: if they had a Flinch/Paralysis/Sleep effect (not that any lend themselves to a Sleep effect), then they have a chance to, potentially, not waste a turn.

If you're faster, then a Flinch effect would be great (for all the moves); Giga Attack, Rock Wrecker, Frenzy Plant, and Hydro Cannon could use a Paralysis chance, one that is only applicable if you're slower than the opponent. Hyper Beam and Blast Burn could have a Burn effect, depending on the opponent's attack and your defense. (Having the opponent's attack would, if they fought you for two turns, amount to one turn of damage.)

I like the idea of them being both high risk and reward.

Maybe. Maybe just 90/95 though?
Eh, that would be fine as well.
90 maybe?
Plausible.
I'd decrease the accuracy of Thunder Wave as well, since it's such a widespread move, and Glare isnt.
I slightly disagree. Ground-types already immune to it, besides, Parlysis itself has 1/4 chance to fully parlayse the opponent. Without that, it just works like any other one-level speed dropper.
Don't comprehend...
Submission 120 BP/100 Acc.
Dig/Dive 100/100

How about giving it 40-50 BP, but always making it strike critical? This could indeed make it vital, if the opponent's defense is stocked up, or your attack is way reduced.
That would be pretty interesting. Yes.
Nah, keep it the same.
Except Rock-types are yet to be given a good Base Powered 100% accurate move; though if GameFreak creates one this gen, I would probably stay it the same.
Maybe. I'd probably make it 55, and increase the chance of Poison to 40 instead. I like Fang moves, btw.
If poison stays as badly poison; sure why not?
The only change I would do, is increase its chance to raise defense to 20%. We're both for raising the move, in effect.
That would probably be better. Yes.
Comments in bold.

I like the idea of them being both high risk and reward.

A ten percent chance of failure is not high risk.

For an example of a high risk, high reward move without bullshit, I do have my fanmade move, Asteroid Impact.

This move has 240 power and 50% accuracy, and is a Rock-type move, with 5 PP. Nothing else.

A ten percent chance of failure is not high risk.

For an example of a high risk, high reward move without bullshit, I do have my fanmade move, Asteroid Impact.

This move has 240 power and 50% accuracy, and is a Rock-type move, with 5 PP. Nothing else.
The lack of a turn (should you hit, which is likely) is enough risk. 165/2 only gives the Grass starters, with Energy Ball, a better two-turn option power wise, though few pokemon get a high-powered Normal (special--Return is widespread, has power of 102 I think) move as well. (Well, actually, Hyper Voice and Tri Attack still only have 80 BP--Hyper Beam would still be more powerful at 165 BP with one attack.) Making the loss of a turn a given even if you miss increases the risk, while giving a chance to gain a free turn or to capitalize on a secondary effects give one many more reasons to invest in the moves.

Making the loss of a turn a given even if you miss increases the risk, while giving a chance to gain a free turn or to capitalize on a secondary effects give one many more reasons to invest in the moves.

Okay, I get that line of reasoning. Although I'd say that the making thee recharge turn a given isn't really a "risk" if it's bound to happen. But I can see why you would phrase it that way.

Here's one that's not really about moves, but the battle engine in general. Let it support floating-point numbers, instead of forcing it to round down every step!

Make feint usable outside of protect/detect, it could have some horrible base power (which doubles when protect is used) or something but it should still hit the opponent whether or not the opponent uses protect.

I mean Feint is just so conditional compared to protect/detect and it is really the only counter for those moves, you'd think feint would be at least be a slightly viable option no matter the circumstances.

I want this change because deciding that an opponent will know protect/detect is just a bit unfair to have to waste a move slot on an otherwise useless move.

Last edited:
Make feint usable outside of protect/feint, it could have some horrible base power (which doubles when protect is used) or something but it should still hit the opponent whether or not the opponent uses protect.

I mean Feint is just so conditional compared to protect/feint and it is really the only counter for those moves, you'd think feint would be at least be a slightly viable option ni matter the circumstances.

I want this change because deciding that an opponent will know protect/detect is just a bit unfair to have to waste a move slot on an otherwise useless move.
I agree with this entirely. Feint is such a highly-specialized move that it basically has no function. You risk wasting a slot in hopes that maybe your foe has Protect on one of his 6 Pokemon. It's a 1-in-24 gamble.

There's plenty of attacks that only operate (or don't operate) based on whether an opponent decides to attack you, like Focus Punch or Sucker Punch. Maybe it could fit into that category while still retaining its Protect/Detect advantage. The whole point of the move is catching the opponent off-guard.

There's plenty of attacks that only operate (or don't operate) based on whether an opponent decides to attack you, like Focus Punch or Sucker Punch. Maybe it could fit into that category while still retaining its Protect/Detect advantage. The whole point of the move is catching the opponent off-guard.

So, basically, something like this:

Feint has 50 power when attacking regularly, but this power goes up to 130 (or 125 if you think 130 is too much) if the foe is using Protect/Detect.

Also, raise Hydro Pump's accuracy to either 95% or 100%. As it is now (80%), even Surf is a better move to use.

I agree with this entirely. Feint is such a highly-specialized move that it basically has no function. You risk wasting a slot in hopes that maybe your foe has Protect on one of his 6 Pokemon. It's a 1-in-24 gamble.

I second this, there are a lot of barely usable moves that could use a secondary effect or something, just for the sake of not wasting a slot.

So, basically, something like this:

Feint has 50 power when attacking regularly, but this power goes up to 130 (or 125 if you think 130 is too much) if the foe is using Protect/Detect.
More like:

50 Base Power

If the Pokemon using it doesn't get hit that round, its power doubles (100).

If the opponent uses Protect/Dectect, Feint will bypass that effect and triple in power (150).

It's a Normal-type move, so there's no advantage to using it over something more trustworthy like Return or something with huge power like Hyper Beam/Giga Impact. So in order to spice it up they need to let it do some crazy things.

....Buuuuut I doubt they'll change it so dramatically in one Generation.

the only change i can think of at the time is making any move that can freeze the opponent have a higher chance of freezing. i've only seen freeze in effect, like twice. i'd like to see it more.

Freaking make Bite Normal-type again. I wouldn't mind also having its variations (Crunch, elemental Fangs), but a simple Bite doesn't need a special type. It's such a basic move that many Pokémon can learn, and Flinching is a good effect early on.

exactly why is it being a dark type move bad exactly?

although it would be awesome on my adaptability Eevee

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom