• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which metagame do you participate in?

What metagames do you play in?

• Smogon

Votes: 24 63.2%
  • VGC

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • Battle Spot

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • Other

Votes: 6 15.8%

• Total voters
Re: What Format and Why?

We've got this same thread here. I'll merge you in

VGC, because I prefer to use strategy and prediction in double battles than having to constantly play the switching in and out game that is common in singles or 6v6.

These days, I primarily play XY OU and RBY OU. I'm thinking of getting back into DPP OU, and I'd like to try some lower tiers as well. Just not sure what to try. XD

Really liking Smogon's current UU. VGC can be pretty fun but it always seems to be really hard to ladder in.

I have played nearly every smogon-sponsored metagame, from RBY OU to LC UU to Balanced Hackmons. Probably won't ever touch UU and RU, though.

I'm a fan of Battle Spot, as the fast-paced and official rules tend to be my cup o' tea. VGC is nice too, although I've yet to become great at it.

I quite like battle spot as I get to use the Pokemon I love (like Darkrai/Arceus) and such and a battle is always available with little rules, just flat out fighting. It's alays funny when you meet full legendary teams and the people don't know how to use them, such a walk in the park.

I play on Showdown and Battle Spot once in a while, I'm not actually very competitive despite knowing a lot about it.

I haven't gone beyond Battle Spot yet. And I don't even know what the VGC is. What does it stand for?

Battlespot for me. I played Smogon rules for a bit, but was quickly turned off by the amount of whining I encountered. I understand their desire for certain clauses, but when you're first LEARNING the Smogon rules, accidentally put a second pokemon to sleep, and then get ripped apart for it, it turns you off to this brand new way of playing.

I still have fun with Battlespot though. My qualm is when you have people trying to impose Smogon rules on non-Smogon players. Luckily I've only ran into that a handful of times. I have friends that play Smogon, and they're fine battling me from time to time. It's not a generalization I'm making, but rather an observation of my experiences. I suppose what I'm trying to say is that I have nothing against other play styles, but when someone tries to forcefully impose one set of metagame rules on a player who doesn't agree with them, that's where you run into problems.

I've never tried VGC rules myself. In fact, I've never really heard of it until now. I must do some research.

Battlespot for me. I played Smogon rules for a bit, but was quickly turned off by the amount of whining I encountered. I understand their desire for certain clauses, but when you're first LEARNING the Smogon rules, accidentally put a second pokemon to sleep, and then get ripped apart for it, it turns you off to this brand new way of playing.

I still have fun with Battlespot though. My qualm is when you have people trying to impose Smogon rules on non-Smogon players. Luckily I've only ran into that a handful of times. I have friends that play Smogon, and they're fine battling me from time to time. It's not a generalization I'm making, but rather an observation of my experiences. I suppose what I'm trying to say is that I have nothing against other play styles, but when someone tries to forcefully impose one set of metagame rules on a player who doesn't agree with them, that's where you run into problems.

I've never tried VGC rules myself. In fact, I've never really heard of it until now. I must do some research.

If you wanna learn the VGC format definitely check out CybertronVGC on YouTube. He took 3rd in Worlds last year. If you wouldn't mind trying to relearn Smogon rules again I'd say check out PokeAimMD. Probably one of the best overall Pokemon players in the world. Any format you can think of PokeAim is amazing at it.

Smogon, actually. I just thought there was the "fun" way (do whatever you want), the "official" way (the tournament rules) and Smogon. I never knew there were different metagames, and I'm only just starting to get into Smogon.

PokeaimMD= as good as non-Japanese (Japan = Country of origin for Pokemon, so it's kind of understandable) players get that is. Seriously Pokemon is like a professional sport to Japanese players as Starcraft is to South Koreans.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom