• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why are Pokémon fans the way they are?

PDL

Not into Ponies I swear!
Reaction score
If you've seen my posting, you would know how I feel about most Pokémon fans.

I find most of them to be absolutely retarded, and I hold mostly complete contempt for them. They also have absolutely no sense of humour.

But does it need to be this way? Why on earth does Pokémon have such a shitty fanbase?

Oh, it's just people in general. I mean, Pokemon creates passionate fans. That also makes it easier for passionate arguments over it. If anything, you're kind of being the instigator for considering most fans to be so bad.

But does it need to be this way? Why on earth does Pokémon have such a shitty fanbase?

Aside from the fact that most of the fanbase is kids and young teens:

1. Some people don't like the fact that the newer Pokemon designs are unfamiliar to them compared to the original designs. The designs from their childhood is all they want to remember.

2. In terms of the anime, some people can't get over the fact that Misty was not the major character in Pokemon they originally believed she was.

3. Pokemon fans appear to be under the assumption that GameFreak owes them something, despite the fact that this is the same as any videogame franchise in existence.

4. The Pokemon franchise has gone on far longer than most people originally believed, so they don't like the fact that kids are growing up with the newer generations of Pokemon as opposed to the original one.

5. Said kids from the original games have grown up, so they're now noticing things about the franchise that they were too young to be aware of the first time around. As such, they're also more critical of the new generations since they're now old enough to be aware of what has changed in the franchise.

Last edited:
I'd say just live and let other's live. I never understood how you can let what people say on the internet affect you for more than a few minutes.

I mean, I could understand if they were threatening you or something but I dont think it's that serious. Beside I'm guessing most people around here are younger children/teenagers, so of course they're gonna be a little wild.

Why are Pokémon fans the way they are?
I don't think it's the "pokemon fans" in general. There are many pokemon fans out there that are the opposite of other pokemon fans. Some are crazed pokemon fans, others are well, decent. If the way you feel about pokemon fans isn't a good thing, then you probably haven't met many "decent" pokemon fans.
But I can relate to what you are saying. Some (notice I said "some" not all) pokemon fans are really quite rude and are too oversensitive to just about anything. Not all pokemon fans are like that, trust me. You'll find bad people everywhere, not just in the pokemon community.

I thought of this thread because it came to my attention that someone on the Serebii forums (in the HGSS section) was arguing how the grass and general graphics were so much better-looking in in GS and the HGSS renditions are shit or something.

Bitching and whining about THE GRASS. IT LOOKS DIFFERENT. BRING BACK THE OLD GRASS. THE GRASS IS RUINING THE GAME FOREVER.

It would have been great if it was a parody... but it's possibly the dumbest arguement I've ever heard of.

LOL, that sounds really stupid. Though I'm sure it's just people whining and complaining about something they're passionate about. I don't think it's exclusive to Pokemon. It happens with lots of things with passionate customers.

My guess is that some fans take the series way too seriously. I mean when something changes in the series there are going to be those who start to cry over those changes. Now I wouldn't say all of them are like that, but there are those who do ruin it for everyone else. But I try my best to ignore it, besides, I've seen slightly worse fandoms than this one.

I do know about other fandoms, and I do have to say that the militant Pokemon shippers are absolutely the most belligerent and immature.

The pokemon shipping community is a very scary group. x_x

If you've seen my posting, you would know how I feel about most Pokémon fans.

I find most of them to be absolutely retarded, and I hold mostly complete contempt for them. They also have absolutely no sense of humour.

I ask myself that everyday. But you have too remember, Pokémon is aimed at children.
And a lot of children these days are pants-on-head retarded (I stole that quote). I've learned too live with it, and be thankful for the few fans that are actually intelligent and can string a sentence together.

I ask myself that everyday. But you have too remember, Pokémon is aimed at children.
And a lot of children these days are pants-on-head retarded (I stole that quote). I've learned too live with it, and be thankful for the few fans that are actually intelligent and can string a sentence together.

How dare you steal from Yahtzee and not mention his name!

It might be that too, though that's not the only explanation. I mean, other series have bad fans too, and they don't cater to children.

I thought of this thread because it came to my attention that someone on the Serebii forums (in the HGSS section) was arguing how the grass and general graphics were so much better-looking in in GS and the HGSS renditions are shit or something.

Bitching and whining about THE GRASS. IT LOOKS DIFFERENT. BRING BACK THE OLD GRASS. THE GRASS IS RUINING THE GAME FOREVER.

It would have been great if it was a parody... but it's possibly the dumbest arguement I've ever heard of.

Like I said before, I look at it like this: if I don't like something someone said I just ignore it or at least try to help the person out. People are gonna be people. We all have different mindset and opinions.

New people are constantly being introduced to Pokemon and stuff everyday, so you have to try to excuse their "mistakes" and help them. Nobody is gonna know everything all at once.

How dare you steal from Yahtzee and not mention his name!

It might be that too, though that's not the only explanation. I mean, other series have bad fans too, and they don't cater to children.

Aha! I was wondering if anyone would get the quote without be mentioning Yahtzee's name! ...Speaking of him, his new review is out later today...

Meh, I have no idea, I mean you're right, look at the Naruto fandom. Need I say more? Most of them are complete idiots (and they're around, what? ten too seventeen usually!)

I'd say it's initially because you don't need to be old, mature, intelligent or socially capable to like Pokémon, and Pokémon has a very wide appeal as well as a very wide hatedom. And if something you like gets criticized, as Pokémon often is by the world, often your reaction is to hold even tighter to it. As such, you have a lot of obnoxious, immature, socially incapable fans who are obsessed about the series or only certain aspects of it. This will draw some of them to attack other aspects of the series (which generation is best, which girl character is best, whether Volkner is in love with Gary or Mewtwo, etc.) and it makes a vicious cycle. And the internet. The internet only distills the negative qualities of human nature.

Of course, I'm not speaking for all Pokémon fans. I'd hope not, at least, considering I'm one. But that's my best guess as to why many people are like they are. Now only if that explained the Sonic fandom...

I am possibly one of the franchise's biggest fans. Nevertheless, as far as the games go, I'm not really too terribly picky. As long as it's a Pokémon game, I'll play it.

But I can't speak for the anime. All the episodes I've seen are the first Kanto saga on VHS, "Pallet Party Panic" and "A Scare in the Air" on Boomerang, early Johto episodes on VHS, "Battling the Enemy Within" on YouTube, and "Arriving in Style" and "Another One Gabites the Dust" on Cartoon Network, on a couple of days when I happened to get up early due to insomnia. Not having the whole picture, I choose to remain silent.

The manga....I can never find it in any bookstore. So I remain silent there as well.

When confronted with what is "canon" and what is "non-canon", I always stand firm that the game canon is the only canon that matters.

Why am I this way?

Because that's how I view things. You may not agree with me, but everyone has his own opinion. So sue me.

Why do people take it seriously?

This is a question I couldn't answer, and I doubt that anyone who is so engrossed could answer as well, simply for the fact that they probably do not want to admit to something. I honestly cannot understand one investing so much of one's life into something with so little reality. And that brings us into anime, video games, etc.; why do so many people put so much time into things that really aren't beneficial in any way? For the sheer exhilerated feeling of being entertained, might it be? To fit into the conformity of things? To simply be preoccupied with a bordeom one might regard as life?

One might ask a psychologist.

This is actually a reason why Pokémon is so unpopular among my peers. There was a huge population of weaboos and extremely immature fans that basically led people to think all fans - and indeed Pokémon - were bad.

Aha! I was wondering if anyone would get the quote without be mentioning Yahtzee's name! ...Speaking of him, his new review is out later today...

Meh, I have no idea, I mean you're right, look at the Naruto fandom. Need I say more? Most of them are complete idiots (and they're around, what? ten too seventeen usually!)

Sweet! A fellow ZP fan! And just about 11 1/2 hours left!

Not just Naruto, it happens with lots of products that people get passionate about. Have you ever pissed off Apple/Microsoft fanboys? Or PS3/360 fans? How about Trekkies? Some of the Obsessive Harry Potter fans? Trust me, I don't reccommend getting any of those people upset.

I'm watching this thread, by the way. The second it gets out of hand, I'm dealing with it. This is basically a powder keg, only the kid with the matches hasn't gotten in the room yet.

But yeah, people get batshit over any old thing. You just see it more here because it's what you're seeking. You have to bear in mind that this is a fandom that has a high population of returning fans alongside lifers and newbies, and that's an odd combination.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom