• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why do so many people hate gen III?

Kay then.

My Nintendo Event Mew got deleted when my Gold game's clock battery died.

That sucks. My silver's actually still working to this day, for whatever reason (can't say the same for an old Blue I have though). All the better reason why you should've been able to ship it off to a safer home before the cartridge passed.

I've got to agree with Trainer'sInsomnia here, they really should have worked to include trading-capability. I mean, all of that hard work just went down the drain with Gen III. And all of you are defending it right now. But think for a moment: Hypothetically, if in Gen V, they made a similar decision and you couldn't trade Gen IV pokemon over, wouldn't you be upset? Think of all the pokemon you would lose, and think of all the effort and work that would be eliminated.

The work would not be "eliminated"
Why must your Pokemon go to your new game?

Your work would still have meaning, and anyway, I thought you played games for enjoyment.

P.S. I'm not defending Gen III, I just believe that the "no trading with Gen II" is a stupid reason to call Gen III bad.

I've got to agree with Trainer'sInsomnia here, they really should have worked to include trading-capability. I mean, all of that hard work just went down the drain with Gen III. And all of you are defending it right now. But think for a moment: Hypothetically, if in Gen V, they made a similar decision and you couldn't trade Gen IV pokemon over, wouldn't you be upset? Think of all the pokemon you would lose, and think of all the effort and work that would be eliminated.

There's only one reason why I wouldn't necessarily mind some kind of severence of ties, and Gen 3 failed to capitalize on this opportunity. I was actually planning to make a thread about it to get people's opinions (but I'm too lazy): A readjustment of stats. With every single generation consistently trying to produce Pokemon that top the last, it's become harder for some of the older Pokemon to really compete. It's almost like the theory of evolution or something.

The first generation didn't focus so much on statistics being compatable with the Pokemon's moves or type. But now you have Pokemon produced like Monferno, who conveniently has its best stats in speed, attack, and special attack. It's clearly set up to be some kind of sweeper. And I know that some Pokemon of old (Alakazam, Gengar, Starmy), ended up the same way too, but a lot of others that had great potential ended up shafted.

So if they did reboot it (but assured some way of collecting the older Pokemon, including starters), the only good I could think of would be a redistribution of stats or something. Just to add more strong competitors to the world of competitive battling. Gen 3 failed to take advantage of this transition.

Your work would still have meaning, and anyway, I thought you played games for enjoyment.

P.S. I'm not defending Gen III, I just believe that the "no trading with Gen II" is a stupid reason to call Gen III bad.

It's just one of the reasons really. There are plenty of other reasons that have been well-worn. I could go on for a while on some of the flaws that Gen III had.

Well it's not like it's the only reason, is it?

And we've already went over this. Yes, it's true, most games don't even have that kind of continuation in the first place. But the fact is, when you introduce it as a connection of the first 6 games (that you could trade all across them), it becomes a massive failure and disappointment when that's suddenly cut off. You don't introduce something and follow through with it, only to suddenly snatch it away. You can tell it was a blunder on their part too, because suddenly you can transfer Gen 3 stuff to Gen 4. So it was the only generation thus far that did that.

Additionally, it's a stupid thing to do in a game or franchise that used to advertise "Gotta Catch Them All". Completing the Pokedex used to be a huge hype as a feature of the game. Pokemon are numbered, and are therefore, in some ways, collectable. So it's pretty stupid to advertise getting the first 200 something. And then Gen 3 introduces so many more Pokemon, but no longer allows that kind of collection.

To me, most Pokemon weren't really memorable, save for Mudkip, Blaziken, and Gardevoir. I didn't like some of the new HMs. And some Pokemon didn't have good designs, unlike Sinnoh Pokemon.

It didn't go to the drain, as long as you can still kick ass with your team in their respective versions. I had my Gold version tea, stored for six years in my Stadium 2 and then last year I repaired my GBC cart and transfered back my Pokémon. So my work (which goes back as far as of 2001-2002) is still alive, never in the drain.

So I agree with Diryn.

It's just one of the reasons really. There are plenty of other reasons that have been well-worn. I could go on for a while on some of the flaws that Gen III had.

You've got the time, you can start right now. Cheers.

You've got the time, you can start right now. Cheers.

Okay then, here goes:

- Many of the pokemon felt like rehashes of old pokemon IMO (Beautifly and Butterfree, Feebas was a rarer Magikarp, the cacoon pokemon, Ralts was another powerful psychic that started off weak, Tailow was just another game-starting flying-type, Skitty and Delcatty were like Meowth and Persian, etc.).

- There were too many water routes. Enough said

- The Evil teams weren't really that good. They were both teams of extreme, radical environmentalists. That doesn't scream threatening like the Mafia of TR and the cult of TG.

- The music (IMHO) felt too loud and blaring. I think they over-used the trumpets that they were able to add.

- Legendary overload. It wasn't as bad as the overload in Gen IV, but two trios, the Lati@s, Jirachi, and Deoxys were still too many.

- Speaking of legendaries, have you ever tried to catch the Regis? There's no way that you could do it without any sort of guide, help, or knowing the code of the game. There is no way that by figuring it our on your own that you know to: Find the dive spot in that giant mess of water routes, find the correct spot and return to the surface in a specific location, then dive again, have a Wailord in the rear of your party with a Relicanth in front, to know the location of the Desert Ruins and the Island Cave AND the Ancient Tomb, to know that to get Regirock that you need to go two spaces to the left and down from the braille in the room and use strength, to stand for two minutes in front of the braille in the Island Cave for Regice, and to use fly in the middle of the Ancient Tomb to have a chance to battle Registeel. And then you have to battle each of them and catch them. Maybe it's just me, but I don't want to have to download a guide to my computer for catching a couple of pokemon.

- Some of the pokemon were complicated to get in Gen III too. Want an Espeon? You have to trade your FRLG eevee to RSE and level it up in day. Want a Milotic? Go take some berries, make special pokeblocks, feed enough to your super-rare Feebas, then try to evolve it. This was mostly a problem at the time though, it doesn't hamper Gen III games anymore.

Sorry, those last two got a little rant-ish. Sorry.

- Speaking of wanting some pokemon, many of the Gen II pokemon got completely shafted in Gen III. They were dispersed throughout all of the games, but they never really came in a big group.

- Gen III got rid of a lot of what was established in Gen II. There was no day/night system, many of the special balls were gone, etc. Many of the features from GSC got removed like this. It's only a problem to people who had played GSC before RSE though.

There are a couple more reasons, but I don't feel like continuing this post any more. Lots of the reasons were only bad at the time though. For instance, obtaining Johto pokemon isn't a problem anymore with the Gen IV games. But it was a big issue back during Gen III.

Funnily enough Phoenicks, Veggie isn't on atm. xD

Okay then, here goes:

- Many of the pokemon felt like rehashes of old pokemon IMO (Beautifly and Butterfree, Feebas was a rarer Magikarp, the cacoon pokemon, Ralts was another powerful psychic that started off weak, Tailow was just another game-starting flying-type, Skitty and Delcatty were like Meowth and Persian, etc.).

Definitely. Nothing more to say.

- There were too many water routes. Enough said

I wouldn't necessarily call this bad. I just suppose people are more used to land than surfing.

- The Evil teams weren't really that good. They were both teams of extreme, radical environmentalists. That doesn't scream threatening like the Mafia of TR and the cult of TG.

'Nuff said

- The music (IMHO) felt too loud and blaring. I think they over-used the trumpets that they were able to add.

I could've strangled whoever composed the music for RSE. I went against the first gym, and the music was so CRAP it was unbelievable.

- Legendary overload. It wasn't as bad as the overload in Gen IV, but two trios, the Lati@s, Jirachi, and Deoxys were still too many.

'Nuff said

- Speaking of legendaries, have you ever tried to catch the Regis? There's no way that you could do it without any sort of guide, help, or knowing the code of the game. There is no way that by figuring it our on your own that you know to: Find the dive spot in that giant mess of water routes, find the correct spot and return to the surface in a specific location, then dive again, have a Wailord in the rear of your party with a Relicanth in front, to know the location of the Desert Ruins and the Island Cave AND the Ancient Tomb, to know that to get Regirock that you need to go two spaces to the left and down from the braille in the room and use strength, to stand for two minutes in front of the braille in the Island Cave for Regice, and to use fly in the middle of the Ancient Tomb to have a chance to battle Registeel. And then you have to battle each of them and catch them. Maybe it's just me, but I don't want to have to download a guide to my computer for catching a couple of pokemon.

No way, really?

- Some of the pokemon were complicated to get in Gen III too. Want an Espeon? You have to trade your FRLG eevee to RSE and level it up in day. Want a Milotic? Go take some berries, make special pokeblocks, feed enough to your super-rare Feebas, then try to evolve it. This was mostly a problem at the time though, it doesn't hamper Gen III games anymore.

I've always thought just finding Feebas was a little silly, nevermind evolving it

Sorry, those last two got a little rant-ish. Sorry.

- Speaking of wanting some pokemon, many of the Gen II pokemon got completely shafted in Gen III. They were dispersed throughout all of the games, but they never really came in a big group.

Definitely. I can't think of anywhere were Gen II pokemon are mainly about.

- Gen III got rid of a lot of what was established in Gen II. There was no day/night system, many of the special balls were gone, etc. Many of the features from GSC got removed like this. It's only a problem to people who had played GSC before RSE though.

I missed the Day/Night, and WHY did they have to get rid of headbutting trees?

There are a couple more reasons, but I don't feel like continuing this post any more. Lots of the reasons were only bad at the time though. For instance, obtaining Johto pokemon isn't a problem anymore with the Gen IV games. But it was a big issue back during Gen III.

Bold

Funnily enough Phoenicks, Veggie isn't on atm. xD

Don't remind me. Still, no one has posted these complaints in a couple of pages, it feels good to mention them again for discussion's sake. Even if I look like an idiot and a whiner for it.

I wouldn't necessarily call this bad. I just suppose people are more used to land than surfing.

Though surfing isn't quite the same as land. There aren't as many landmarks to tell you where you're going. You constantly find wild pokemon unless you use repels. And if you really want to go somewhere fast, you can't on water since it goes at running speed (not bike speed).

No way, really?

Have you ever tried to get the Regis? You really have to do everything that I said. I had to look it up too, I couldn't remember all of it.

Definitely. I can't think of anywhere were Gen II pokemon are mainly about.

Well, they were kind of clustered in Sevii and in Colosseum. But still, there wasn't a good place for finding Gen II pokemon. It'll be good to have HGSS to fix that problem.

Have you ever tried to get the Regis? You really have to do everything that I said. I had to look it up too, I couldn't remember all of it.

No, because I don't know how. =x
Now, I can imagine trying to make them not too easy to find, but that's ridiculous.

No, because I don't know how. =x
Now, I can imagine trying to make them not too easy to find, but that's ridiculous.

Seriously, that's what you have to do. It's a huge process:

1. Go to Route 134 (The one with the fast-moving water currents)
2. Take a specific path through the currents to find a special dive spot
3. Travel underwater until you reach a cave.
4. Enter the cave, then leave.
5. Outside the cave door, use Dive to surface above the water
6. Use dive again, then enter the cave again
7. You'll be in the Sealed Chamber. Walk to the back of the room to the braille, and read it with a Wailord in the rear of your party, with a Relicanth in front.
8. In the next room, use Dig.

That unlocks the small caves for the other Regis.

9. Find the Desert Ruins on Route 111
10. Read the Braille inscription, then walk two steps down, then two steps right
11. Use strength
12. Battle and catch Regirock

13. Find the Island cave on Route 105
14. Enter, read the braille, then stand there for 2 minutes
15. Battle and catch Regice

16. Find the Ancient Tomb on Route 120
17. Read the Braille, then go to the center of the room
18. Use Fly
19. Battle and Catch Registeel.

BTW, this is only for Ruby and Sapphire. Many of the requirements are different for Emerald. Seriously, this is way too much.

Whoa! Those were very good reasons. But you're a liar. You don't have to download a guide to your computer to catch those Regis: it seems you have already memorized it (or was it a copy-paste?). ANyways, I had no toruble getting them because when I got the game I already knew about these weird methods, so I instantly checked for a walkthrough and caught them in no time. But of course, had I bought the game in 2003, I would have gone nuts searching them through all Hoenn (I picture myself thinking erroneously that they were roaming) and it would have taken me months of suffering before finally surendering and searching it on the internet.

And yeah, all that water sucks, but not because of the speed, but because in land you have the advantage of finding so different species, depending on the route you are in, but in the ocean, it's always the same: Goldeen, Tentacool and Wingull. NASTY!

Generation III definitely has the WORST starter pokemon. Treeko, Mudkip, and Torchic SUCK!

I loved the generation when Cyndaquil, Chikorita, and Totodile were the starters. They are my fav starters EVR!

In 3 words, "GENERATION III SUCKS"

Torchic looked cute and cool, and Combusken, though not as cool as Charizard and Typhlosion, still had its charm. But the other ones did suck IMO (although it seems Swampert is very useful and popular in competitive battling).

Whoa! Those were very good reasons. But you're a liar. You don't have to download a guide to your computer to catch those Regis: it seems you have already memorized it (or was it a copy-paste?). ANyways, I had no toruble getting them because when I got the game I already knew about these weird methods, so I instantly checked for a walkthrough and caught them in no time. But of course, had I bought the game in 2003, I would have gone nuts searching them through all Hoenn (I picture myself thinking erroneously that they were roaming) and it would have taken me months of suffering before finally surendering and searching it on the internet.

Well, I had to double-check everything for the purpose of my rant. And I've already forgotten about 1/2 of the requirements. Seriously though, they made finding the damn Regis harder than actually catching them. I hope that they make the Regis easier to catch (besides through the movie Regigigas) so that I don't have to go through this process again (restarted my Emerald x_x).

And yeah, all that water sucks, but not because of the speed, but because in land you have the advantage of finding so different species, depending on the route you are in, but in the ocean, it's always the same: Goldeen, Tentacool and Wingull. NASTY!

That's a good point too. With all of the water-types, we don't really get most of the diversity. It's mostly Tentacool, Wingull, and Goldeen. Magikarp if you're fishing too.

Generation III definitely has the WORST starter pokemon. Treeko, Mudkip, and Torchic SUCK!

I loved the generation when Cyndaquil, Chikorita, and Totodile were the starters. They are my fav starters EVR!

In 3 words, "GENERATION III SUCKS"

So, I herd u dunt leik Mudkipz?

be3d0e34-6df2-422f-8998-58c0569bbd78mudkip%20-%20brock.jpg

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom